RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

3D Printing

Old 11-04-2018, 06:36 PM
thedonut

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Originally Posted by Crius View Post
How long does it take to print one of those, and why don't you print it laying down flat?
This one took about 2.5 hours at 100um. Increasing resolution to 50um might take about 5 to 6 hours.

This is one of the differences between SLA and FDM printing. With an FDM printer, obviously this would be printed best with the tire lying flat on its side with the print nozzle adding one layer at a time at the top. On a SLA printer, each layer of resin gets cured and gets stuck to the bottom of the vat. The printer then uses a method of lifting the build plate with a tilt to peel the print off the bottom of the VAT after each layer cures. If there is a large flat surface anywhere in the print, the bond to the vat might be greater than the strength of the part. The part could break or detach from the build plate during a peel, leaving part or all of the print still stuck to the bottom of the vat. This is the reason you see a lot SLA parts printed at an angle with lots of supports.
Old 11-07-2018, 04:45 PM
BPLizard

It would be awesome to print 1/16 tank crews. The ones on ebay cost $30 to $50 each.
Old 11-08-2018, 01:36 AM
herrmill

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Crew would be great but that takes some artistry to draw right. Been trying to get some crew made for the LCM3 & most I know here pass on drawing figures.
Old 11-08-2018, 12:33 PM
dgsselkirk

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

For fun, my first foray into this 3D printing. Making Nebelwerfer wheels as the ones that came with the uppers I didn't really like. Know nothing about doing this but starting to understand the basics... :-)

Old 11-08-2018, 06:13 PM
thedonut

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

3D printed tires and wheels

Old 11-09-2018, 02:03 AM
Tanque

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

There are so many types of 3D printing these days in support of all aspects of industry it boggles the mind. I have a small 3D printer and I really need to get off my hands and learn to use it and some CAD.packages I have. I think I'm leery that I might not have the patience!

Different types of printing is described well here: https://all3dp.com/1/types-of-3d-printers-3d-printing-technology/

I was fascinated by the 3D sand printing: revolutionary for foundry work...

Jerry
Old 11-09-2018, 04:29 AM
Crius

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I really think that the next step for our hobby is for more of us to get into resin printers. The fdm printers are fine for large items and turrets and little trucks, but for the really serious detail work the fdm just can't compare to the resin printers. I'm planning to buy a resin printer on Black Friday, and its main purpose will be to print tires and figures. If we can come up with an STL file for a decent driver figure for all these little trucks we'll be way ahead of the game.
Old 11-09-2018, 06:39 AM
thedonut

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

There are a lot of models on the web though free models usually not very detailed. Maybe buy one of these https://free3d.com/3d-model/british-...gged-5379.html and just modify it to make different figures?
Old 11-09-2018, 06:59 AM
maillemaker

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

The resin printers are so messy though. I remember stereolithography from 20 years ago. I thought FDM would displace this stuff. But the quality isn't there.

Steve