Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

3D Printing

Old 12-27-2018, 09:17 AM
RC_BobM

Received 97 Likes on 76 Posts

I think that explains it. The CURA file is not post processed to be recognized by the LDP or resin type machine. That explains why the Creality generated test file works (they have the post process secret sauce code for their machine to make it work) and Gary's file does not.

Would simplify 3D work? Just reaching here - but lots of people print with Resin machines and they work fine.

Gary I would contact Creality and ask them for the code or post-process file information to make it work. Its probably so new that they haven't fully tested and released the post processor file.
B
Old 12-29-2018, 07:00 AM
thedonut

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Ex_Pat_Tanker
Cura is for FDM printers only, it can not create instruction files for any other method of printing.
I use Cura with my Peopoly Moai. Just make sure you have the correct profile for your printer.
Old 12-29-2018, 07:35 AM
Ex_Pat_Tanker

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts

Really? Interesting, I'd always read that you had to use something else.
Old 12-29-2018, 08:21 AM
Crius

Received 313 Likes on 259 Posts

OK, after much more work I still can't get it to print.

Woz, there are no spaces.

Bob, I'm not using Cura at all for this. The file was created by Martin in Fusion 360, imported to my PC, then loaded to the "3D Creator" software from creality. Unfortunately I'll need someone with more skills than I have to start comparing code.

Donut, I'd really like to see how you do that. When I try, Cura doesn't recognize the LD-001 and won't allow me to select resin as a material, it only has filament settings.

Martin, I haven't quite given up, and if the test file that came with the printer is any indication, this thing (if I can get it to work) is going to improve the quality of stuff like tires and tail light buckets to an entirely new level for us. I really think I can come darn close to Shapeways quality at a fraction of the cost.

So I made this video and sent it to the people at Creality, and now we'll wait for their reply.

Old 12-29-2018, 10:10 AM
Wozwasnt

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Have you tried a different USB stick?

My FDM printer has problems reading some SD cards and won't read cards over a certain size.

Last edited by Wozwasnt; 12-29-2018 at 10:27 AM.
Old 12-29-2018, 11:00 AM
Crius

I don't have a different stick to try. This is the one that came with the printer.
Old 12-29-2018, 11:21 AM
Ex_Pat_Tanker

Have you tried slicing a different model? I just watched a review where they commented that the supplied slicer software was 'buggy' and needed improving...
Old 12-29-2018, 01:47 PM
Crius

Yes, I also did a file for tail lights, it acted the same way. I tried importing from my saved files, and even exported a brand new tire file from the 360 project. They all do the same thing. One of the guys at RCTW suggested changing the position of the dot in testtire.pngzip, so i tried several different configs, all with no joy. I sent that video to Creality, do y'all thing they'll understand everything?
Old 12-29-2018, 02:10 PM
Ex_Pat_Tanker

Watched another youtube video where they did the exact same thing as you in the slicer, so I don't think the pronlem is between the chair and the keyboard...

this video -
specifies removing the USB stick before printing (about 2:39 in). Thats about the only difference in process I could find. If that little trick doesn't work then I suspect something is not right with the printer... Have you been able to repeat the test print?
Old 12-29-2018, 03:47 PM
RC_BobM

Received 97 Likes on 76 Posts

Gary/Crius
One other thought. Can you extract the files from the zip file onto thumbdrive and load them separately into the printer memory? In other words get rid of the zip file and simply load the .STL files? I'm wondering if the zip file is causing the printer to hang up. A zip file is simply an archive - not an executable file. Even photos have to be "extracted" from a zip file before they can be viewed?

Lots of armchair tech support going on here....
B
Old 12-29-2018, 05:40 PM
Crius

I can't get into the zip file. When I try it just opens the file in 3D creator again.
Old 12-30-2018, 04:08 AM
thedonut

Donut, I'd really like to see how you do that. When I try, Cura doesn't recognize the LD-001 and won't allow me to select resin as a material, it only has filament settings.
Here is a link you can check -- http://wiki.peopoly.net/doku.php?id=moai:cura It is Moai specific but shows that you need to add printer profiles specific to your printer. Once you do that, your printer should appear in the list of printers.

Prior to Cura 3.5.1, the Moai did not appear in the list of printers in Cura. Moai profiles needed to be downloaded and added for it to appear in the printer list.
Old 12-30-2018, 06:45 AM
Crius

I'm using Cura 3.6.0 and it doesn't recognize my printer, and when it comes to stuff like adding profiles I might be over my head. Not a computer guy! That's one of the main reasons I bought this printer, because the CR10 is sooo easy to use I thought I wouldn't have any trouble with an SLA printer from the same maker. Boy was I wrong!!

I sent that video to creality so hopefully by Wednesday or Thursday I'll hear back. I'm 99% certain that New Year's Eve and Day as we celebrate them don't exist in China. Their New Year is in February, right? Personally, I think the problem is in the slicing software and I asked them to send me a new USB stick with the proper English language software already installed. Hopefully they'll want to try that rather than having me return it for a refund. If I do end up returning this one I'll scrape up the dough and get the peopoly. I should have done that in the first place, but they offered no discount for Black Friday and Creality sold me an $850 printer for $484 with free shipping. Of course, the LD-001 is still on sale right now for $499 so maybe I made a bad decision when I chose the creality over the peopoly.

But I really want to thank all of you for trying to help me sort this out. One of the things I love most about our hobby is that it's mostly made up of really terrific guys that will take the time to go out of their way to research this kind of stuff for a guy they've never met. I try to do the same whenever I can and when I send guys little parts from the spares box (or something similar) they always ask if they can send money and most of the time (on the little stuff) I tell them to just pay it forward. We'll all get a chance to help someone before long and it's always great to give back to a hobby that gives us so much.

Happy New Year to all, and I wish you Terrific Tankin' in the year to come.
Old 01-02-2019, 05:22 PM
Crius

So when I sent the above video to creality I sent them a link to my youtube channel. Today I got a response from them, asking if I could send the video in MP4 format. That led me to learn that youtube is blocked in China. Ya learn somethin' new every day in this hobby.

Anyway, I was able to get the software to convert to MP4 and sent it to them via wetransfer (it was 488mb, way too big for my email, 25mb max) so now I'm back where I was, waiting for a reply.

Oh yeah, I did learn that Simplify3D does NOT support the Creality LD-001 printer. Bummer.
Old 01-17-2019, 04:51 AM
thedonut

3d printed truck exhaust stack.

Old 01-17-2019, 09:09 AM
Crius

That looks really good. As good as shapeways. I'm still trying to get the LD 001 to work right. Today is their absolute last chance. I tried to tell them the problem was in the software and they needed to send me new software but they didn't want to do that, instead they sent me a test file that they had sliced over there in China and when that file would print they said that it proves the printer is okay and the rest is my problem. I replied that I always knew the problem wasn't in the printer but in the software and if that was their solution I would open a claim with PayPal, which I did, yesterday. Yesterday creality was notified that they have 10 days to respond to my claim and this morning I got an email from them with a link to a site where I can download new software. I'll try it after work tonight but if it doesn't work I'll let the PayPal claim play out.

Even if this works, I'm still considering buying a d8. The print bed on that thing is huge for an SLA printer. With the creality I could probably print 8 tires at once, but on the d-8 I'll bet I could print at least 20 at a time.
Old 01-17-2019, 09:44 AM
maillemaker

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Sorry to hear the printer is not working out for you, Crius! Glad you are posting your results though. I am currently playing with a used 3D laser engraver I picked up from a neighbor and I am likewise going nuts trying to sort out issues.

Steve
Old 01-21-2019, 11:18 PM
thedonut

Test printing some lights.
Old 01-30-2019, 05:18 AM
thedonut

Added a little extra...
Old 01-30-2019, 09:04 AM
Crius

Donut, you have the Moai printer, correct? I think that's the one I'm going to buy. The creality didn't work out, and the d-8 is still in beta so I think by the end of the week I'll order a moai. The only reason I haven't ordered it yet is because about a week ago I saw it on sale for 1100 so I'm trying to catch that sale again instead of paying the 1300.
Old 01-30-2019, 10:19 AM
maillemaker

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Did you ever get the Creality to print?
Old 01-30-2019, 11:46 AM
Crius

No, I did not. I'm waiting for paypal to settle my claim so I can send it back.
Old 02-05-2019, 05:14 AM
thedonut

Donut, you have the Moai printer, correct?
Yes, I do.

Trying out some grille patterns. Here's one.
Old 02-05-2019, 09:12 AM
Crius

So now PayPal is telling me that they will refund the money for the printer if I ship it, at my own expense, all the way to China, even though they shipped it to me from California. The post office says it will cost about $160 to send this thing to China and they cannot guarantee to get it there by the February 11th deadline given by PayPal for return. I asked them see if there's a US address I can ship it too and I'm still waiting to hear back. So far my experience with creality has been absolutely horrible. At this point I can't even recommend the cr-10 or Ender series printer just based on the lousy customer service that I know people will receive if there's ever a problem.

I am very, very close to just giving up on 3D printing altogether. It's just way too much frustration for an old dog like me.
Old 02-06-2019, 01:37 AM
thedonut

Another one...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.