Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Tamiya KV-x

Old 11-17-2018, 10:58 AM
casualTanker

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tamiya KV-x

Got an unbuilt KV-1 set on the cheap. Have just assembled (won't say finished) a KT for my son, and realised that I need to compensate for the German over-engineering if I am to hold up in battle - especially with the tooth pick of a gun on the KV-1! Have read up on user experiences, and figured out the hull needs reinforcement (will run with metal belts).

Inspection of rear hull prototype. Is the sanding job up to Russian standards?

Front hull proto. Hm. What was he thinking!? Winter camo?

The real thing - it fits! Printed details separately, so I can prime and sand with less hassle. Hopefully it will scratch authentically, except for the primer. My info is that Russians didn't bother. PLA is not that forgiving to jumping steps though, so intend to go for gray.

An inside look. Hopefully sufficiently stiff to prevent alu to buckle from idler wheel load.

Nothing like a round behind. Tried to print the exhaust shield together with the main piece, and it seems sturdy enough.

Inside the rear hull; integrated gearbox brace for extra stiffness. I'm also using ball bearings in the final drives, for additional stiffness. Remains to see if I'm creating trouble in the process wrt sand/dust, but got good experience with similar upgrade to KT final drives.

Why did he bother with these?

And to the extent that anyone cares - next update will hopefully come before 2021. Really don't have time for this, but a man's gotta do what a man's gotta do (and these girls are really no help, beyond great entertainment).
Old 11-17-2018, 08:34 PM
Jeff489
My Feedback: (12)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

No updates needed on this tank. I go to 20+ battledays per year. It is one (if not THE best IR battler made by Tamiya).. Don't change anything....
Old 11-18-2018, 05:16 AM
sevoblast

Received 54 Likes on 40 Posts

Primary entrance for dirt and grit is the final drive shaft. Photo shows how to stop that. Works, I've been doing this for 15 years and never a problem. I have a fetish for bearings, so have at it, road wheels, idlers and if the spirit moves you, return rollers.
Old 11-19-2018, 05:36 PM
TheBennyB

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Main thing you'll have to get used to is the inertia Tamiya put into the Russian DMD"s. Looks and drives fun when messing around but for IR battling it's kind of annoying.
Old 11-19-2018, 07:35 PM
tch2000

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Nice.