Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

T34/76 some minor progress

Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

T34/76 some minor progress

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2018, 08:55 PM
Dusty Steppes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default T34/76 some minor progress

Finally managed to get a little free time to do some work on this. I wouldn't have been able to get this far if it weren't for Sassgrunt and Crius. It is finally beginning to look the part. Trumpeter upper mounted to a Taigen lower.
Old 12-30-2018, 10:54 PM
tankme

Received 207 Likes on 169 Posts

Any pics of the inside of the turret? I have both this version of the T34/76 and the the other version I'm converting. My big issue right now is elevation selection and spacers for the kit wheels.
Old 12-31-2018, 06:32 AM
Dusty Steppes

No pictures of the turret internals. Recoil and elevation have yet to be resolved. The three sets of inner roadwheels are 3d printed. Here is a link to what I had originally done with trumpeter roadwheels.
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-t...e-my-side.html
Old 12-31-2018, 07:18 AM
Crius

Received 313 Likes on 259 Posts

Glad those wheels worked out. Did you put bearings in them? Bushings, maybe?

I recently saw a thread of the T34/76 in 1/6 scale. Yeah, I was salivatin' like one of Pavlov's Pooches. And there's a guy on RCTW that's 3D printing a T-35 (massive multi-turret beast) in 1/6 scale. 1/6 scale!! Talk about a monster. It's over a meter and a half long! It's so big that if he assembles it in the room it was printed in he won't be able to get it out the door. Here's a photo of the T-35, imagine that in 1/6! Shows what a madman Wayne is. I love it!!

Click image for larger version

Name:	zKdHl7e.png
Views:	45
Size:	209.5 KB
ID:	2263100

And if I can get this friggin' SLA printer to print it should open new doors. I still have that roadwheel file, I'm a wee bit curious to see the side by side difference in print quality. I guess I'll get a good idea when I print tires with flexible resin and compare to the TPU tires I have now. If I can get the damn thing working, that is. I'm sure you've seen me whinin' in other threads so I won't go into it here, but hopefully we'll have some sort of resolution by the end of the week. Or pack it up to ship it back!! Can you say "Peopoly! Yay!"?
Old 12-31-2018, 07:32 AM
Dusty Steppes

The wheels are working great so far. I used bushings and they spin pretty good! The real test will be when this thing gets to Danville.
Old 12-31-2018, 10:39 AM
RC_BobM

Received 97 Likes on 76 Posts

Looking great - would love to see more 76mm T-34.
B
Old 01-01-2019, 05:52 AM
Crius

Received 313 Likes on 259 Posts

There's a guy on RCTW that just designed a new recoil/elevation unit that should fit nicely in that small space. Let's see if this shows the photo

Click image for larger version

Name:	M11lQt0l.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	17.2 KB
ID:	2263103

and you can see more here. Scroll almost to the bottom until you see the T34 turret in a 3D model.

https://www.rctankwarfare.co.uk/foru...26539&start=20
Old 01-01-2019, 09:49 AM
Dusty Steppes

I'll have to look into that recoil system. A little more progress. Moved the power and volume control to the engine compartment and tried to hinge one of the turret hatches. I'm not really pleased with the hatch. The plastic in this model is too soft.
Old 01-01-2019, 07:22 PM
BPLizard

That’s really looking great. I’m really new to this hobby so I really would like to know, please.. Are you converting a static model into an RC?
Old 01-02-2019, 04:56 PM
Dusty Steppes

Originally Posted by BPLizard
That’s really looking great. I’m really new to this hobby so I really would like to know, please.. Are you converting a static model into an RC?
It is more of an attempt to make the top half of a static model into an rc and then marry it to an rc lower half. Currently test fitting the top hull to the lower hull and making adjustments to the front for proper height. I'm waiting on some magnets for locking the front. A couple of pics of the internals and the fit in the front.

Old 01-06-2019, 03:29 PM
Dusty Steppes

Recoil resolved. Next step elevation.

Old 01-06-2019, 07:17 PM
tankme

Received 207 Likes on 169 Posts

Looks like a simple solution. Simple is good.

I'm curious about your 76mm aluminum barrel. I ordered one from MK Modellbau since Axel's Modellbau was out of the Schumo 76mm barrels (which are now back in stock). I assembled the kit barrel to compare the two barrels because the aftermarket barrel I bought was vastly larger than the kit barrel in circumference. I'm guessing you had to enlarge the hole for the barrel since it looks to me like it is larger than the kit barrel? Which barrel are you using? My research indicates that the KV-1 and the T34/76 guns were basically the same, but they had a different designation.
Old 01-07-2019, 04:58 PM
Dusty Steppes

Originally Posted by tankme
Looks like a simple solution. Simple is good.

I'm curious about your 76mm aluminum barrel. I ordered one from MK Modellbau since Axel's Modellbau was out of the Schumo 76mm barrels (which are now back in stock). I assembled the kit barrel to compare the two barrels because the aftermarket barrel I bought was vastly larger than the kit barrel in circumference. I'm guessing you had to enlarge the hole for the barrel since it looks to me like it is larger than the kit barrel? Which barrel are you using? My research indicates that the KV-1 and the T34/76 guns were basically the same, but they had a different designation.
I am trying to keep things simple. Simple is easy to maintain. The barrel is a Schumo that I got back in '15. My references indicate this model of T34 used the F-34 gun. Initially the Kv1 used a short 76.2 L11, was upgraded in 1940 to the F-32 gun and not quite as effective as the F-34. In 1941 some KV's were armed with the F-34 and others were given a ZIS-5 which mounted better in the KV turret but was basically the same as the the F-34.
Old 01-07-2019, 07:28 PM
Dusty Steppes

Quick test of the fit of the recoil and elevation system. Active testing revealed all systems go. Just need to address that sharp screw point on the elevation system.
Old 01-26-2019, 07:28 PM
Dusty Steppes

Some more work on the the turret internals. Reinforced elevation trunion and servo mounts. Installed Clark TBU base and replaced the weak wiring that comes with it. High intensity muzzle flash and IR emitter installed. Four point magnetic turret closure. Screw release system on elevation system. Reinforced four screw gun mantle mount plus the front of the gun mantle is friction fit for easy access. I am trying to set it up for easy access for any future maintenance.