Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

Converting Henglong from 27Mhz to 2.4

Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Converting Henglong from 27Mhz to 2.4

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2019, 02:02 PM
spinnetti

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Converting Henglong from 27Mhz to 2.4 and other mods

So, like the tile says... Smoked my 27 control board in my Jagdpanther so got the 2.4 setup. So, everything is working, but controls are wonky. and not sure how I can change it.

Mods and results:
- Smoker works as expected, on/off from the Tx (eliminated the switch on the tank)
- Gun didn't work, so had to resolder the +/- the other way (then it worked). Also eliminated the gun switch, made a custom breach block and stiffened up the spring for more power
- Sound effects work as expected (actually better after building a custom speaker box with FRS 8 speaker). If only they did proportional speed/sound it'd be pretty good.
- Swapped over to 2S Lipo with 5000mah - Much better
- Added FPV to the commander's cupola

Control craziness:
Right Stick
- Right goes forward
- Left goes backwards
- Down reverse spins to the right (I think)
- Up reverse spins to the left

Left Stick
- Right and left move the barrel up and down
- Up and down don't do anything except sound effects
- Up/Left + shoot button fires cannon.

I tried swapping the motor leads but that just made it even goofier. Very counterintuitive Any way to change that?

Last edited by spinnetti; 01-20-2019 at 02:09 PM.
Old 01-20-2019, 02:56 PM
mcovalsk

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I think you have a bad 2,4 MFU, probably some MOSFET burned. I wouldn’t spend money in HL 2,4, instead I would get Clark directly, with not much work is almost plug & play.
The HL 2,4 Ghz MFU have a horrible firmware you can't turn proportionally.... garbage, I have a pile of them with their Tx all replaced in favor of Clark with a Turnigy receiver and Transmitter
Old 01-20-2019, 03:34 PM
spinnetti

Originally Posted by mcovalsk
I think you have a bad 2,4 MFU, probably some MOSFET burned. I wouldn’t spend money in HL 2,4, instead I would get Clark directly, with not much work is almost plug & play.
The HL 2,4 Ghz MFU have a horrible firmware you can't turn proportionally.... garbage, I have a pile of them with their Tx all replaced in favor of Clark with a Turnigy receiver and Transmitter
ok, aside that you don't like, it a burned mosfet does not result in having all the controls mixed up. I looked at other stuff, and for what I have now, its good enough for $30 for the Rx/Tx and controls, When I want to do a tank for real, I will probably go 1/6 scale, fully CNC machine the hull, cast the details and Tig weld it together, but have lots of other projects in front of that. For now, I just would like to straighten out the controls.
Old 01-21-2019, 09:40 AM
mcovalsk

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Ok

Last edited by mcovalsk; 01-21-2019 at 01:46 PM.
Old 01-21-2019, 01:16 PM
Imex-Erik

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts

Ok so try swapping the positive and negative wires on either the plug or motor (whichever is easier for you). I think that is your issue I see this a lot when people wire up their own motors, sometimes the positive/negative wires are different from the factory and the default motor rotation is backwards. If it was just the plugs in the wrong way the tank would drive forward and back fine but spin in opposite directions when turning. Try this to see if I'm right:
  • Start the tank.
  • Unplug the passenger side motor. We will start with the driver side.
  • Press forward on the drive stick, the driver side motor should move the track forward. It should also move backwards when going in reverse. When you turn to the right you should see the track go forward (super spin) and when you turn left you should see the track go backwards. If your track does not follow this pattern then swap positive and negative wires at either the plug (easier) or motor and try again.
  • Diagnose the passenger side. The same is true forward and backward, though the direction for the turning will be backwards. Right turn = backwards while the left turn = forwards.
Now for the bad news.... so chances are you got the new dual sound system right? Well that upper hull daughterboard and turret wiring is not compatible with the older HL stuff. You actually will need to rewire the turret and those functions will work correctly. I can't remember who did it but one of the newer members did a wiring diagram for the new HL stuff, if I remember correctly it wasn't too much to change. HOPEFULLY that is your issue, the board doesn't seem defective, just wired up incorrectly from what I see.
Old 01-23-2019, 06:08 AM
spinnetti

Originally Posted by Imex-Erik
Ok so try swapping the positive and negative wires on either the plug or motor (whichever is easier for you). I think that is your issue I see this a lot when people wire up their own motors, sometimes the positive/negative wires are different from the factory and the default motor rotation is backwards. If it was just the plugs in the wrong way the tank would drive forward and back fine but spin in opposite directions when turning. Try this to see if I'm right:
  • Start the tank.
  • Unplug the passenger side motor. We will start with the driver side.
  • Press forward on the drive stick, the driver side motor should move the track forward. It should also move backwards when going in reverse. When you turn to the right you should see the track go forward (super spin) and when you turn left you should see the track go backwards. If your track does not follow this pattern then swap positive and negative wires at either the plug (easier) or motor and try again.
  • Diagnose the passenger side. The same is true forward and backward, though the direction for the turning will be backwards. Right turn = backwards while the left turn = forwards.
Now for the bad news.... so chances are you got the new dual sound system right? Well that upper hull daughterboard and turret wiring is not compatible with the older HL stuff. You actually will need to rewire the turret and those functions will work correctly. I can't remember who did it but one of the newer members did a wiring diagram for the new HL stuff, if I remember correctly it wasn't too much to change. HOPEFULLY that is your issue, the board doesn't seem defective, just wired up incorrectly from what I see.
Thanks. I'll try swapping motor leads. Bizzare that its at a right angle rather than just forward/backwards flipped. Can't quite get my head around it. On the sound system, I'm all good there. I bought a speaker and made my own 3d printed speaker box and drove it right off the control board pins - works and sounds great.

Thanks.. I'll report back after I take it apart for the 400th time lol. I need to trouble shoot the gun anyway - I think the barrel is blocked a bit.
Old 04-25-2022, 01:05 AM
beema

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help to

I know this post was a long time ago but I have just started the exact project you have completed & would love to get any wiring diagrams & photos you might have regarding the conversion, I've looked everywhere and found nothing, any help would be great thanks
Old 04-25-2022, 01:44 AM
Crius

Received 313 Likes on 259 Posts

Originally Posted by beema
I know this post was a long time ago but I have just started the exact project you have completed & would love to get any wiring diagrams & photos you might have regarding the conversion, I've looked everywhere and found nothing, any help would be great thanks
If no one else posts diagrams I can probably help you but I'll have to wait until I get home from work tonight. It would help a lot to know what system you're putting in. Taigen or heng long? I did at least ten of these conversions when I first got into the Hobby in 2013 and I always used the taigen system from IMEX. In fact, I still have a bunch of those left that I'm giving away for the price of postage if you need one. Posting a photo of the electronics that you want to put in the tank would be of great help. That way we know exactly what diagrams you need.
Old 04-26-2022, 03:12 AM
beema

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Seems I've made a mistake in the purchase of my new Transmitter it is still actually a 27mhz unit henglong 1/16 smoking R/C tank parts 27Mhz transmitter radio controller with RX-18 main board/TK-18 receiver which I believe with the multi function board will allow me to add the smoker unit at least.