Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

New tamiya rc m551 sheridan

Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

New tamiya rc m551 sheridan

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2019, 11:05 AM
Pcomm1.v2

Received 49 Likes on 36 Posts

A little research. Guys in Japan are recommending this radio for plug and play ease of operation (lights, gun fire, volume adjustment, engine start stop) for the Tamiya Abrams and the new Sheridan. Amazon has it.

TAMIYA FINESPEC 2.4GHz 4-CHANNEL RADIO CONTROL SYSTEM (TRANSMITTER & RECEIVER SET) 45068

Last edited by Pcomm1.v2; 02-07-2019 at 11:07 AM.
Old 02-07-2019, 12:07 PM
Rad_Schuhart

Received 55 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Pcomm1.v2
A little research. Guys in Japan are recommending this radio for plug and play ease of operation (lights, gun fire, volume adjustment, engine start stop) for the Tamiya Abrams and the new Sheridan. Amazon has it.

TAMIYA FINESPEC 2.4GHz 4-CHANNEL RADIO CONTROL SYSTEM (TRANSMITTER & RECEIVER SET) 45068

Hi John, there we go again. lol.
Guys, dont buy that radio.
Old 02-07-2019, 02:19 PM
Rad_Schuhart

Regarding my Panzer IV, I opened a thread some days ago, and yesterday I uploaded a video, take a look at it, it is two or three threads under this lines. Maybe you dont like, ok. I do like it, thats what it counts. Remember I painted the figures and you liked them... Wrongly believing that were painted by torro, when I painted them myself too. Also many people more like it too, but that does not matter.
I am more than happy of replacing the electronics. All the sounds comming from my tank (tank commander voices, music, working turret machine gun, ambient sounds, simulating gear change and so on, headlights (for god sake, the stock electronics does not have even headlights!!!) were fun to make, and are the hell of fun to play.
And again, believe it or not, selling a tamiya kit with decent aftermarket electronics is considered a plus in Europe.

I dont know if I will get a Sheridan, dont think so, but if I do, I will replace the electronics for sure, like some people is writting in forums/groups now.

Last edited by BarracudaHockey; 02-09-2019 at 06:28 AM.
Old 02-07-2019, 02:40 PM
Pcomm1.v2

Hi Rad,

The word Europe says it all and you consider that a recommendation? Musicial and talking rc tanks, wow, great selling points. I may have to reconsider my point of view, LOL. And nice figures, sorry, they looked Torro stock in the first images you posted, guess your also a weak photographer too. Great hearing from you though, all opinions count. Perhaps not yours. Do not listen to this pretender concerning Tamiya rc tank kit builds, that is my recommendation!

John
Old 02-07-2019, 07:26 PM
RichJohnson

Received 374 Likes on 238 Posts

I personally loathe the elelctronics in the legacy full option tanks. I hate the recoil and the flash. Ive had new mfs quit flashing. I a,os prefer to design a servo elevation and recoil. So out they go from any of my tamiya tanks. I can build a nicer more realisric appearance with an IBU and get better sound. Granted i have to engineer all that crap myself and fuss alot with it but thats fun for me and I have a tank that is what I want when im done. Ive been offered some money for my tanks but never sold one i have finished for myelf. Others i have sold were built at customers desire or without a system.

Last edited by RichJohnson; 02-07-2019 at 10:43 PM.
Old 02-07-2019, 09:03 PM
Pcomm1.v2

Hi Rich,

Nice to read about your kit bashing build thoughts. Thanks for sharing Rich, that must have been painful for you to post. True the OEM Tamiya rotation and elevation units suck, but easily improved upon. Happy you got all that off your chest, but again the sad news is that no one cares, most of all me, LOL.

Enjoy, John

Old 02-07-2019, 10:48 PM
RichJohnson

Received 374 Likes on 238 Posts

I lnow, i just had to razz ya. I do like the rotation units, they have a bit more precise operation than HL
Old 02-07-2019, 11:30 PM
Ad Lav

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Morning John, you will be able to get the tank to work with another radio - just as most have done but the one you recommended is obviously for people who don’t want to play around or customise?

Got my spectrum dx6i working with the leopard/type 10 and Abrams.

I doubt the new Sheridan would be any different.

I look forward to your build.
Old 02-08-2019, 11:39 AM
Pcomm1.v2

Originally Posted by Ad Lav
Morning John, you will be able to get the tank to work with another radio - just as most have done but the one you recommended is obviously for people who don’t want to play around or customise?

Got my spectrum dx6i working with the leopard/type 10 and Abrams.

I doubt the new Sheridan would be any different.

I look forward to your build.
Hello, “Plug and Play”, yes, is the goal, which is part of the important built in fun of Tamiya kit’s. The problem for me with any pro customized rc setup system and also multi channel radios is that I forget how things work every time I go back to the rc model after it has sat a bit, unused. LOL. Having to dig out the manuals to learn again how to operate the model is annoying.

Fooling around with rc radio systems is not why I build the tanks, clearly not a focus. I see no need to further explore the advanced electronics terroritory. Anyway, been there done that with the customized multi channel flakpanzers. Absolutely no fun to run, except for a performance operation video.

Not saying other rc radios do not work well with Tamiya, just saying that my rc model build concept is very component selective. Why? My hobby is based on Tamiya rc ir kit building something fun every year or two. My hobby is not about collecting a bunch of rc tanks sitting around in my build cave, LOL.

To better sell on my rc tank models in the USA, I build against unspoken established, popular USA rc tank standards. A lot of West Coast and AZ rc tank guys use the spectrum radios, And that works well for them. From my experience I know that for selling on a model in the USA, the Futaba brand currently holds a resell marketing advantage; for the last 15 years. And most importantly Karen at the AAF Museum sells them at a good price and delivers them to one quickly, LOL.

So, because that is the brand they sell, and have sold for years, most of my potential Tamiya RTR rc tank customers are most familiar with the Futaba setup and that is what they want. Plus, the museum rc tank battles and their communications about the battles, mostly on rcu, have popularized the Futaba Brand. So, I use what works, stuff runs deeper than being a pro rc electronics setup dude like RAD. Importantly, that skill is not all that helpful in selling on a RTR rc tank. So, plug and play easy setup and maintance is the first priority for the RTR customer who wants to play with a finished Tamiya rc tank.

FYI. The Tamiya Abrams rebuild was done to find out why dozens of USA modelers before me were unsucessful at Abrams rc setup and then lying about it LOL. Of course, there can be many solutions to the same problem, but my goal was to find out why the Futaba rc radio the AAF Museum was selling was not compatible with the Tamiya Abrams Kit they were also selling. And what Futaba rc radio would work if any.

We did that.

Enjoy, John

Last edited by Pcomm1.v2; 02-08-2019 at 11:56 AM.
Old 02-09-2019, 07:26 AM
casualTanker

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

FYI The March issue of MMI has a section dedicated to the Sheridan, and a build report on the 1/35 Tamiya kit.
Old 02-09-2019, 12:10 PM
Tanque

Received 95 Likes on 82 Posts

You 2 guys owe MiG and his beautiful wife an apology. They are master modelers, in case you did not know.

MIG JIMENEZ: Elizabeth Wiese

I realize I'm slow on the uptake at times but I read the posts preceding this one and either the offending post just went over my head or something is missing somewhere or
I flat out just missed it. I never make assumptions regarding attractive women, I've known more than a few whose model building skill could knock the socks off of many modelers here
including my own. Intellectually these same women don't take a back seat to anyone nor should they..

Jerry
Old 03-23-2019, 11:47 PM
tch2000

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Getting closer fir this new tank. !!
Old 03-27-2019, 04:50 PM
Pcomm1.v2

Originally Posted by tch2000
Getting closer fir this new tank. !!
Long slow, boring wait for sure, looking forward to the build though. 🤙🤙🤙🤙
Old 03-27-2019, 06:43 PM
pitstain

Received 70 Likes on 48 Posts

I am preorder #18 at AAF, looking forward to building this after my Type 10 that's still in the box.
Old 03-27-2019, 07:36 PM
Pcomm1.v2

Originally Posted by pitstain
I am preorder #18 at AAF, looking forward to building this after my Type 10 that's still in the box.
A back log of Tamiya RC Tank builds is a happy thing!
Old 04-01-2019, 10:30 PM
tch2000

Long slow, boring wait for sure, looking forward to the build though. 🤙🤙🤙🤙
can’t wait. So excited
Old 05-11-2019, 02:24 PM
LukeZ

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Interesting photos from Shizuoka today. The MFU for the Sheridan looks to be a "DMD-T11" and it has an LCD screen. Looks to have switched to Deans connectors too, a vast improvement over the atrocious Tamiya plugs. The Tamiya transmitter "TTU-09" (mentioned in this thread earlier) looks to have a bunch of buttons on it, are they possibly going for discrete control of functions rather than indecipherable ninja stick combos?

Maybe Tamiya is taking their electronics into the 21st century finally? I will be very curious to find out more.

There are more pictures on TamiyaBlog. If anyone can read Japanese maybe they can decipher the captions for the DMD.

Last edited by LukeZ; 05-11-2019 at 02:27 PM.
Old 05-11-2019, 02:43 PM
tankme

Received 207 Likes on 169 Posts

The details on the Sheridan look better than the Abrams release. It's about time they updated the electronics. I remember seen the Tamiya King Tiger, Sherman, and Gepard when I was like 13 in the Tamiya catalogs. Only took me 33 years later to buy a Tamiya tank. Not sure what year the first DMD units came out, but I know it was a long time ago.
Old 05-11-2019, 08:15 PM
tch2000

Can’t wait.
Old 05-11-2019, 08:15 PM
tch2000

Can’t wait. Who gonna do a build report ?
Old 05-11-2019, 09:49 PM
Pcomm1.v2

Originally Posted by tch2000
Can’t wait. Who gonna do a build report ?
Perhaps Rad_Schuhart: Looking forward to seeing a informative Tamiya RC Sheridian + El MOD photo build report.
Old 05-12-2019, 11:36 AM
pitstain

Received 70 Likes on 48 Posts

So I just ordered that new TTU-09 Radios set, https://www.ebay.com/itm/153464763436 based on a description from an ebay listing pasted below.

■ Manufacturer: Tamiya
■ 1/14 RC 4 Channel Propo Best for Big Trucks and 1/16 RC Tanks (Transmitter
It is a receiver. (Depending on the type of vehicle used, a servo or ESC speed controller etc. is required separately)
■ Equipped with 10 function buttons that correspond to various functions of tanks and trailers with one push.

I will post my experiences with this setup and the new Sheridan once I get the build going.
Old 05-12-2019, 03:19 PM
Pcomm1.v2

Default Great!

Originally Posted by pitstain
So I just ordered that new TTU-09 Radios set, https://www.ebay.com/itm/153464763436 based on a description from an ebay listing pasted below.

■ Manufacturer: Tamiya
■ 1/14 RC 4 Channel Propo Best for Big Trucks and 1/16 RC Tanks (Transmitter
It is a receiver. (Depending on the type of vehicle used, a servo or ESC speed controller etc. is required separately)
■ Equipped with 10 function buttons that correspond to various functions of tanks and trailers with one push.

I will post my experiences with this setup and the new Sheridan once I get the build going.

Looking forward to your write up! I bought the RC System from Japan at Amazon and ordered the Sheridan from the AAF Museum.

The recommended Tamiya Transmiter Set.
Old 05-12-2019, 11:25 PM
Rad_Schuhart

Perhaps Rad_Schuhart: Looking forward to seeing a informative Tamiya RC Sheridian + El MOD photo build report.
Lol, sorry to dissapoint you, guys, but I am not going to get the Sheridan... First because honestly I dont like it, and second because I dont think I will have more tanks ever. I already have a small platoon and I want to focus in my battlefield now, with buildings, lights, sounds, explosions, fountains with water, bridges and so on. I also discovered the world of 1/16 balsa warbirds and I am loving it.

But I will follow somebody else`s build log, I am curious!

Last edited by Rad_Schuhart; 05-12-2019 at 11:28 PM.
Old 05-13-2019, 01:15 AM
Pcomm1.v2

Cool, "1/16 balsa warbirds and I am loving it".

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.