Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

Mako2018 "battle unit conversion unit"

Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Mako2018 "battle unit conversion unit"

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2019, 12:50 PM
Fsttanks

Received 251 Likes on 148 Posts
Default Mako2018 "battle unit conversion unit"

For those of you looking at the Mako2018 "battle conversion unit" that enables the use of Heng Long or Taigen MFUs to IR battle with Tamiya battle systems using the Tamiya "mushrooms" and "IR emitters". Be warned that this product does not use the Tamyia cables and requires a non standard cable that connects the Tamiya "mushrooms" to the Mako2018 unit. This is not mentioned in the product description on the sellers website and vaguely alluded to in a few install photos found on their forum board showing a photo tectorial of the install process.

This becomes a problem when you discover the supplier does not offer this non standard cable for sale and you are left on your own to make it. So much for the alluded to "plug and play". Why this cable is not mentioned as needed or offered for add-on sale in the produce description is beyond reason. Given it took 3 1/2 weeks to receive the Mako2018 and now to have an even further delay attempting to source a one off cable, I may just end up "round filing" this thing instead for the time and trouble it is causing.

I did attempt to contact the supplier about this but for some reason their contact page is not taking inquires.

Last edited by Fsttanks; 02-06-2019 at 12:55 PM.
Old 02-06-2019, 01:24 PM
Imex-Erik

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts

Do you have a picture of the plug/socket?
Old 02-06-2019, 01:47 PM
Fsttanks

Originally Posted by Imex-Erik
Do you have a picture of the plug/socket?
Yes, this is the cable. Shown going from the Tamiya "mushroom" to the Mako2018 board. It is also the only reference to it anywhere either written or in photos. I must note that this photo is not on the produce page nor in any product section, it is on a forum the supplier runs and must be search out.

Last edited by Fsttanks; 02-06-2019 at 01:52 PM.
Old 02-06-2019, 08:01 PM
TheBennyB

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Be nice to have a base as well. No 3d printed base on their site?
Old 02-07-2019, 06:38 AM
Imex-Erik

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts

My Mako2 is a bit different (I have one of the older ones) however the plug looks similar. Mine is a JST-PH plug.
Old 02-07-2019, 01:39 PM
tankme

Received 207 Likes on 169 Posts

Originally Posted by TheBennyB
Be nice to have a base as well. No 3d printed base on their site?
Been wondering if about TBU bases also.
Old 02-10-2019, 09:02 AM
tomhugill

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts

Firstly, knock it off with those negative vibes.

What makes you think the plugs none standard?

Have you tried plugging in a TBU base?

I have the RCTA tiger and panther ring and the default plug they come with is the same molex connector that tamiya use so it would seem odd that the mako would use something different. Why would you expect it to come with a cable? No other electronics board does, that should come.with you battle system.

I've pm'd you the email address you need, I've had much help in the past and Kevin's usually very quick to reply.

You may wish to reconsider the little outburst in the initial post.
Old 02-10-2019, 09:15 AM
RichJohnson

Received 374 Likes on 238 Posts

Well, looking at his photos, I do not see a plug socket for the TBU base plug.
So it seems they intend for you to use a 5 pin JST harness between your TBU Apple and the mako board. It seems they didn't send him one, didn't tell him he needed it, and he says it doesn't look like they sell the cable. Im not involved, but I would think that they would or should offer the cable if its needed to be Tamiya Compatible.
Old 02-10-2019, 10:26 AM
Fsttanks

Originally Posted by tomhugill
Firstly, knock it off with those negative vibes.

What makes you think the plugs none standard?

Have you tried plugging in a TBU base?

I have the RCTA tiger and panther ring and the default plug they come with is the same molex connector that tamiya use so it would seem odd that the mako would use something different. Why would you expect it to come with a cable? No other electronics board does, that should come.with you battle system.

I've pm'd you the email address you need, I've had much help in the past and Kevin's usually very quick to reply.

You may wish to reconsider the little outburst in the initial post.
Well thank you for responding. My post is factual and informative. If it reads with negative "vibes" then so be it as my experience with RCTA has not been positive to this point.

That said let me start by clearing up a few things for you. First, I said "one off cable", I did not say plug, there is a big difference.

Second, the FACT is the cable/plug combination is not available on the web site nor mentioned as needed anywhere on the MAKO2018 product page (at the time of my first post) and it does not use the same cable/plug that come standard with the Tamiya battle units. I have two new TBUs and neither use the cable/plug shown above.

Third, I did not expect it to come with anything more than the board and NOWHERE do I say this, what I expect and others too is that the need for this cable be clearly stated and offered as an extra add-on "for sale item" in the product description. Fact is, it is not.

Fourth, I attempted to use the "Contact Us" on the RCTA web site several time to address this issue and it would not allow me to send a message. I attempted this on four different computers and two smart phones each time being kicked back, as the RCTA site believing it to be a "bot".

Lastly with the extremely long delivery time of 3 1/2 weeks to receive the MAKO2018 why would I believe RCTA could have been any faster with getting this cable to me. Really 3+ weeks from a "first world" country! I routinely receive parts for England and Europe (Germany Poland Italy) in half the time and with tracking no less, something not offered by RCTA on this item(?). I would have gladly paid for a bit faster shipping had it been offered during the checkout process on the RCTA site.

At this point I have shelved the MAKO2018 and will be moving on to other electronic option. I don't want to waist anymore time with testing a "stop gap" system.

Last edited by Fsttanks; 02-10-2019 at 10:31 AM.
Old 02-10-2019, 10:37 AM
BcuriousR

Received 26 Likes on 15 Posts

If it was just a "stop gap", why don't you use the factory Taigen/HL apple? I have several Mako boards and they work fine with the factory apple vs Tamiya equipped tanks. Yes, Taigen apples do not have the sensitivity that the Tamiya's do, but as a "stop gap", they work fine. I've since moved on because they have other shortcomings. But, as loaner tanks that I have yet to convert, they are a cheaper way to introduce new people to this money pit.
Old 02-10-2019, 11:08 AM
Fsttanks

Originally Posted by BcuriousR
If it was just a "stop gap", why don't you use the factory Taigen/HL apple? I have several Mako boards and they work fine with the factory apple vs Tamiya equipped tanks. Yes, Taigen apples do not have the sensitivity that the Tamiya's do, but as a "stop gap", they work fine. I've since moved on because they have other shortcomings. But, as loaner tanks that I have yet to convert, they are a cheaper way to introduce new people to this money pit.
I get what you are saying, but why waist more time ( 2-2 1/2 more weeks ) and money to purchase a HL/Taigen apple with their known short comings when I have two complete Tamiya battle units sitting here and RCTA states their MAKO2018 as FULLY Tamiya compatible? The issue is the lack of the $1-2 cable&plug combo being available at the time of purchase or even being clearly stated as needed, waiting almost four weeks for the item to arrive and only then to find out it is missing a vital part that now must be sourced elsewhere. In my book and that of many others is just not acceptable.

Last edited by Fsttanks; 02-10-2019 at 11:16 AM.
Old 02-10-2019, 11:20 AM
BcuriousR

Oh, I get it. I assumed you were converting an IR tank. Yes, its a bummer, but the boards do work for their intended purposes. Since, I entered this hobby, I've acquired piles of wire spools, plug kits, and miscellaneous bobbles. At this point, I'd think harder about how to mount the TBU base than about building a plug. I guess you could look at it as a two week learning experience wherein you collect a bunch of new wire, connectors, and bobbles As boards go, Clark will take plenty of rewiring, and IBU2U are pretty expensive compared to what you're currently working with. Good luck...remember, its supposed to be fun.
Old 02-10-2019, 11:23 AM
Ex_Pat_Tanker

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts

Looking at the picture, I think what you need is one of these:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/JST-XH-Ma...r=540416152308
As the description states, its commonly used for charging 4S lipos so you should be able to source it locally?

I'm guessing that the Mako was intentionally designed to dispense with the Tamiya connector so that you can share the apple with other tanks and not have to buy an additional base. The Tamiya micro connector is not easy to find preassembled in my experience, and crimping those tiny pins yourself is an exercise in frustration to say the least - it makes much more sense to use a common off the shelf lead, jam one end into a blob of miliput under the turret hatch, and plug the other end into the Mako...

Hope this helps.
Old 02-10-2019, 11:47 AM
Fsttanks

Originally Posted by Ex_Pat_Tanker
Looking at the picture, I think what you need is one of these:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/JST-XH-Ma...r=540416152308
As the description states, its commonly used for charging 4S lipos so you should be able to source it locally?

I'm guessing that the Mako was intentionally designed to dispense with the Tamiya connector so that you can share the apple with other tanks and not have to buy an additional base. The Tamiya micro connector is not easy to find preassembled in my experience, and crimping those tiny pins yourself is an exercise in frustration to say the least - it makes much more sense to use a common off the shelf lead, jam one end into a blob of miliput under the turret hatch, and plug the other end into the Mako...

Hope this helps.
Above is what RCTA needs to add to the MAKO2018 product description as well as offer the needed cable&plug for TBU users or at least direct them as to were to purchase one. Fortunately I already found a cable&plug combo for the MAKO2018 after starting this thread, but have moved on since to other electronic solutions now and not currently and looking to take steps backwards at this point. Only wish RCTA had explained it as clearly as you did, it would have save me and I am sure others a few headaches.
Old 02-10-2019, 11:58 AM
Ex_Pat_Tanker

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Imex-Erik
My Mako2 is a bit different (I have one of the older ones) however the plug looks similar. Mine is a JST-PH plug.
Having gone and googled the difference between a JST XH and a JST PH connector, I'll add that the PH has a 2mm pin spacing, and the XH has a 2.54mm spacing - anybody wanting to make up their own bases will need a socket with a 2.54mm spacing for the TBU end of the cable.
Old 02-10-2019, 11:59 AM
Fsttanks

Originally Posted by BcuriousR
Oh, I get it. I assumed you were converting an IR tank. Yes, its a bummer, but the boards do work for their intended purposes. Since, I entered this hobby, I've acquired piles of wire spools, plug kits, and miscellaneous bobbles. At this point, I'd think harder about how to mount the TBU base than about building a plug. I guess you could look at it as a two week learning experience wherein you collect a bunch of new wire, connectors, and bobbles As boards go, Clark will take plenty of rewiring, and IBU2U are pretty expensive compared to what you're currently working with. Good luck...remember, its supposed to be fun.
LOL...Oh I have parts bins full of parts, wires and such. 30+ years of RC hobby fun $$$$$$$ in buckets and cabinets. I just really hate tinkering with electronics, I am more of a mechanical guy and like to keep the "voodoo electrical magic" stuff as simple as possible.
Old 02-10-2019, 05:44 PM
BcuriousR

At the moment, I'm retrofitting a Taigen Motherboard with Mako into a JJRC tanker truck to serve as a moving target. My mako works with both Taigen apples and wiring. The 3D printed Tamiya bases that I have, (ordered from RCTankelectronics, or Ozarmour), are pinned the same as a Taigen and fit on the mako in the same slot. My problem: The boards have to decide they want to receive hits: The LED will light up every shot, but the motherboard/speaker only explodes when it wants to. Doesn't matter which apple is attached.
Old 02-10-2019, 07:09 PM
RichJohnson

Received 374 Likes on 238 Posts

At LA tank, we tolerate all the kids using the HL tanks with mako boards because its the Military Museum gimmick to host the battles. Its annoying when kids with HL shermans and panzers can kill the **** out of all the Tamiya clark and IBU tanks on the field and only loose one or two. Yes the Mako boards more or less pick up and score every 5 to 10 hits.
We just play for fun and ignore the fact that we loose before we start.
Old 02-11-2019, 10:48 AM
tomhugill

Last edited by tomhugill; 02-11-2019 at 10:51 AM.
Old 02-11-2019, 12:50 PM
Fsttanks

Thank you for your colorful comment. I guess it is your British dry humor or your very rusty morse code, either way right back at you.
Old 02-11-2019, 02:49 PM
tomhugill

Originally Posted by Fsttanks
Thank you for your colorful comment. I guess it is your British dry humor or your very rusty morse code, either way right back at you.
No, rcu has a minimum character count so it was necessary to "delete" a comment; after remembering some wise words, to never educate a mug.
Old 02-11-2019, 03:47 PM
Fsttanks

No, rcu has a minimum character count so it was necessary to "delete" a comment; after remembering some wise words, to never educate a mug.
Thank you, then I will not stop trying to educate you.

Last edited by Fsttanks; 02-11-2019 at 04:00 PM.
Old 02-11-2019, 05:34 PM
elhhss

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cables for Tamiya standard IR emitter & IR receiver cables

https://www.facebook.com/impact.upgr...5588603&type=3
hope these help

Old 02-11-2019, 11:13 PM
tankme

Received 207 Likes on 169 Posts

Yeah...no. Impact wanted to charge me $40 shipping for a single pair of tracks. I'll pass.
Old 02-12-2019, 12:33 AM
tomhugill

Originally Posted by tankme
Yeah...no. Impact wanted to charge me $40 shipping for a single pair of tracks. I'll pass.
Also the base is a different shape to the tamiya apple.

​​​​I checked with Ian last night who sells these and he confirmed that they will take a apple tamiya plug.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.