RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

2 out of 2 defective Henglong 5.3S receivers?

Old 02-11-2019, 07:24 AM
JREEVES
My Feedback: (2)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Question 2 out of 2 defective Henglong 5.3S receivers?

The last two Henglong tanks I've received with the latest 2.4gHz, gold label version 5.3S receiver boards have gone rogue. For no apparent reason, I turned on the tanks and the right stick track control has switched from up/down = forward/backwards, to up/down = turn left/right. Forwards/backwards now now requires left/right on the right stick.
Has anyone else experienced this? I've made no changes to either tank and a close inspection of the receiver boards shows no bad solder joints or loose wire connections.
All of my other tanks have the 2.4gHz silver label 5.3 receiver boards and have been very reliable. I'm mystified!
Old 02-12-2019, 05:43 PM
AL D

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I think the problem is that the new HL tanks are wired differently - specifically the hull.

I encountered the same problem - ordered two new RX boards (gold plate) from MATO. When I hooked them up to an older HL Tiger, I had the same problem you described. I have a new T-90 that I swapped out the RX's and both new RX's worked perfect. I was looking at the upper hull connections on the new T-90 and it is a different configuration for the electronics.

What I think needs to be done is to rewire/solder the hull bridge on older HL upper hulls so that it coincides with the inputs from the new Transmitter/Rx

Try rewiring the upper hull - pretty sure thats the problem

Hope this helps

AL
Old 02-13-2019, 02:14 PM
DirtyBird69

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

What is the difference with the “gold label” version??
Old 02-13-2019, 03:54 PM
JREEVES
My Feedback: (2)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Originally Posted by DirtyBird69 View Post
What is the difference with the “gold label” version??
THAT sir, is the $64,000 dollar question! I hope AL D is on to something, unfortunately my day job has been getting in the way of investigating this further. Trouble is, when I received my latest HL PanTiger tank with the gold label receiver, it worked fine. Within 2 weeks it suddenly started doing exactly what I described above without me "messing" with anything!
However, when I installed a brand new gold label receiver (which is marked on the circuit board as 5.3S) in a nearly new HL Tiger 1 that had a 5.3 silver label receiver that was troublesome, I had exactly the same problem.
So, it's understandable in the case of my Tiger 1 that the 5.3S receiver is not perfectly compatible with the 5.3 transmitter. However, it isn't understandable that the 5.3S receiver that came with a bound 5.3S transmitter in my PanTiger would do exactly the same thing without my intervention. Confused yet? Here are the circuit boards of the 5.3S and 5.3 transmitters. I don't see an obvious difference.