RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Kenny Kong Abrams tracks?

Reply

Old 02-13-2019, 01:58 PM
  #1  
Desertrat99
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 108
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Kenny Kong Abrams tracks?

Has anyone had Kenny Kong Abrams tracks? He currently only has the M1A1 tracks and sprockets on his site.

How did they work out on a Heng Long Abrams tank? Any issues with them coming off the idlers or road wheels?

Ia ma looking at getting a set of them for my Abrams.

Thanks.
Desertrat99 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 07:18 PM
  #2  
tankme
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Manor, TX
Posts: 391
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default

From the pics on Ebay it looks like the sprockets are set up for Tamiya gearboxes with the double flats on the shaft:

https://www.ebay.com.sg/itm/1-16-U-S...6mw:rk:38:pf:0

My Heng Long Abrams has a single flat so if you want to mount the sprockets you will need to add another flat. That might work, but I have no idea what the shaft diameter difference is between a Tamiya gearbox and the HL.
tankme is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 09:31 PM
  #3  
Desertrat99
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 108
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default

Originally Posted by tankme View Post
From the pics on Ebay it looks like the sprockets are set up for Tamiya gearboxes with the double flats on the shaft:

https://www.ebay.com.sg/itm/1-16-U-S...6mw:rk:38:pf:0

My Heng Long Abrams has a single flat so if you want to mount the sprockets you will need to add another flat. That might work, but I have no idea what the shaft diameter difference is between a Tamiya gearbox and the HL.
ok, so first off I am asking about Kenny Kong tracks. The link you have here are for Hobby Summit tracks. not the same thing. I am also asking about how the Kenny Kong tracks perform on the Heng along Abrams, not about sprockets and idlers that fit.

Asked specifically if the tracks come off off the road wheels like some others do because they have guide horns that are too short.
Desertrat99 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 10:40 PM
  #4  
Fsttanks
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 312
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default

Originally Posted by Desertrat99 View Post

ok, so first off I am asking about Kenny Kong tracks. The link you have here are for Hobby Summit tracks. not the same thing. I am also asking about how the Kenny Kong tracks perform on the Heng along Abrams, not about sprockets and idlers that fit.

Asked specifically if the tracks come off off the road wheels like some others do because they have guide horns that are too short.
I run DKLM Abrams tracks on two of my Abrams and Leopard 2. I do not have issues with the short "horns" causing de-tracking issues and I also run mine much harder and faster than most folks. Now I will say I run all metal suspension, road wheels, sprockets with retaining rings and drive axle bearing supports as well. These play a big part along with having the tracks tensioned correctly in reducing any issue of de-tracking.

Ok, all that said there is another option that you can look at besides the Kenny Kong tracks. The DKLM Leopard 2 tracks work on the Abrams just as the Abrams tracks work on the Leopard 2. The DKLM Leopard 2 tracks have much longer horns similar in length to those found on the Tamiya Abrams track.

Since none of the tracks on the market are really accurate, why not use the super tough and well proven DKLM Leopard 2 tracks as these will get you the longer horns and proven toughness at far less cost ~$100 delivered.

Just my .02
Fsttanks is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 11:15 PM
  #5  
Pcomm1.v2
 
Pcomm1.v2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 723
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Abrams Kenny Kong Tracks


For the Tamiya Abrams I stayed with the kit tracks as I did not want to get into a build
struggle with modifying the model's hull and maybe upgrading the idler adjusters to run
Kenny Kong Abrams metal tracks.


HL Abrams with stock tracks, runs fine.


Kenny Kong metal Leo 1 tracks and Henntech Idlers in a seriously braced hull.
The after market idler setup needed simple modification to hold the heavy metal track
adjustment in place.



RC Leo 1 with Kenny Kong metal tracks, the after market idlers did not work until modified!


Originally Posted by Fsttanks View Post
I run DKLM Abrams tracks on two of my Abrams and Leopard 2. I do not have issues with the short "horns" causing de-tracking issues and I also run mine much harder and faster than most folks. Now I will say I run all metal suspension, road wheels, sprockets with retaining rings and drive axle bearing supports as well. These play a big part along with having the tracks tensioned correctly in reducing any issue of de-tracking.

Ok, all that said there is another option that you can look at besides the Kenny Kong tracks. The DKLM Leopard 2 tracks work on the Abrams just as the Abrams tracks work on the Leopard 2. The DKLM Leopard 2 tracks have much longer horns similar in length to those found on the Tamiya Abrams track.

Since none of the tracks on the market are really accurate, why not use the super tough and well proven DKLM Leopard 2 tracks as these will get you the longer horns and proven toughness at far less cost ~$100 delivered.

Just my .02
Agree with the 2 cents

Go with DKLM tracks or run the stock HL Abrams tracks, which I have had no issues with.

The Kenny Kong metal tracks are very "Heavy" (to heavy for the HL Abrams). I have used them on several models, but only after metal hull bracing plus all the running gear modifications that Fsttanks describes.

Still the remaining weak link will be the idler adjusters. Even using the best of the best available after market idler adjusters, the heavy weight Kenny Hong metal tracks will over power them and the track(s) will come loose and be thrown. Whatever your idler solution fix, it will require further modification to hold the heavy KK metal tracks in place.

Think you'll have more rc tank fun and success with either stock or DKLM tracks for the model type your planning on building.

John

Last edited by Pcomm1.v2; 02-14-2019 at 12:20 AM.
Pcomm1.v2 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 11:16 PM
  #6  
tomhugill
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: , UNITED KINGDOM
Posts: 2,247
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default

Originally Posted by Desertrat99 View Post

ok, so first off I am asking about Kenny Kong tracks. The link you have here are for Hobby Summit tracks. not the same thing. I am also asking about how the Kenny Kong tracks perform on the Heng along Abrams, not about sprockets and idlers that fit.

Asked specifically if the tracks come off off the road wheels like some others do because they have guide horns that are too short.
​​​​​​The tracks sold by hobby summit are Kenny kong tracks....
tomhugill is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 11:47 PM
  #7  
tankme
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Manor, TX
Posts: 391
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default

Originally Posted by tomhugill View Post
​​​​​​The tracks sold by hobby summit are Kenny kong tracks....
And that is why I posted it. So good luck to you. Forgive me for trying to help.

Last edited by tankme; 02-13-2019 at 11:58 PM.
tankme is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 05:18 AM
  #8  
Desertrat99
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 108
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default

Originally Posted by tankme View Post
And that is why I posted it. So good luck to you. Forgive me for trying to help.
and this is common knowledge?
Desertrat99 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 05:32 AM
  #9  
Pcomm1.v2
 
Pcomm1.v2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 723
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default

Originally Posted by Desertrat99 View Post

and this is common knowledge?
Yep. For over 15 years.

Pcomm1.v2 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 05:40 AM
  #10  
Desertrat99
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 108
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default

Originally Posted by Pcomm1.v2 View Post


Yep. For over 15 years.

never knew.
Desertrat99 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 06:49 AM
  #11  
Cruiser133
 
Cruiser133's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: USA
Posts: 879
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default

Originally Posted by Desertrat99 View Post

never knew.
This is why a little bit of humility will go a long way around here.
Cruiser133 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 08:01 AM
  #12  
tomhugill
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: , UNITED KINGDOM
Posts: 2,247
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default

Originally Posted by Cruiser133 View Post
This is why a little bit of humility will go a long way around here.
Too right!
tomhugill is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 05:48 AM
  #13  
trackmech81
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: St Augustine, Fl.
Posts: 208
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default

I have been building Rc Tanks fo 20 years and just learned Hobby Summit is Kenny Kong track lol. I love the bavk and forth banter and insults, reminds me of active duty heckling between us mechanics and the tank crews....and the different types of equipment crews like Abrams vs M60 and Bradley. Gotta have thick skin and enjoy the ride.
trackmech81 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 07:30 AM
  #14  
RichJohnson
 
RichJohnson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: San Diego
Posts: 1,800
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default

Anybody in the service has to have thick skin with all the crap we give each other. I ran my squad and platoon a bit loose with the discipline. I allowed the guys to poke me a lot as it was so easy, Im an odd guy so it was low hanging fruit. But I would dish it back just as well top to bottom in my platoon nobody was safe. I felt it built camaraderie as it was rarely hurtful words.
we were a family. And everybody learned really quick when it was and wasn't time to do any BSing around. As long as they were professional when duty called I let most of it go.
Just had dinner last week with a few that are long gone, the same old BS all night. Oh man the good times. I miss them guys.
We get into some tiffs here on the forum with each other. I think mostly over miss understandings of a fact or explanation or just the tone is lost. Tone is very hard to convey in writing if you are not adept at it. I respect everybody here for their opinion, comment and advice. That is what we all are here for, helping advance our hobby.
RichJohnson is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 04:02 PM
  #15  
tankme
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Manor, TX
Posts: 391
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default

I'm pretty thick skinned having served in the Army also. I didn't know the information I posted until I found a post about Kenny and his relationship to the Ebayer "manheader" which also mentioned Hobby Summit relationship dating back to 2010. That Ebayer is supposedly Kenny's partner in the company Kenny owns. I did the research and thought my answer was relevant because if the sprockets don't fit the shafts then you will have problems with tracks retention. After the OOP found out my information was probably relevant I saw no reason to help any further to the lack of any kind of apology or "my bad" for sounding like a dick in what I interpreted to be a pretty condescending response. I'm not offended because I don't get offended. All I can do is offer the information. If the person wants to thumb their nose at it or decide I'm full of crap then that is on them which is why I said "good luck". I guessed that he wanted those tracks because he was probably backdating a HL Abrams to an earlier model which is probably why he asked about that particular track pattern. To me all of the other responses about other Abrams tracks were less useful, but I could be wrong. That does happen on occasion and when it does I will usually state that fact, apologize, and move on.
tankme is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 04:26 PM
  #16  
Pcomm1.v2
 
Pcomm1.v2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 723
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default

Originally Posted by tankme View Post
I'm pretty thick skinned having served in the Army also. I didn't know the information I posted until I found a post about Kenny and his relationship to the Ebayer "manheader" which also mentioned Hobby Summit relationship dating back to 2010. That Ebayer is supposedly Kenny's partner in the company Kenny owns. I did the research and thought my answer was relevant because if the sprockets don't fit the shafts then you will have problems with tracks retention. After the OOP found out my information was probably relevant I saw no reason to help any further to the lack of any kind of apology or "my bad" for sounding like a dick in what I interpreted to be a pretty condescending response. I'm not offended because I don't get offended. All I can do is offer the information. If the person wants to thumb their nose at it or decide I'm full of crap then that is on them which is why I said "good luck". I guessed that he wanted those tracks because he was probably backdating a HL Abrams to an earlier model which is probably why he asked about that particular track pattern. To me all of the other responses about other Abrams tracks were less useful, but I could be wrong. That does happen on occasion and when it does I will usually state that fact, apologize, and move on.
Your wrong, absolutely.

Pcomm1.v2 is offline  
Reply With Quote

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service