Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

WCP 1/16 US WW2 Tractor

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2021, 12:08 AM
Will01Capri

Received 66 Likes on 44 Posts
Default WCP 1/16 US WW2 Tractor

Hello
So recently my son had a birthday and for a while now he has been asking for a RC tractor.
Originally i was going to convert a Bruder for him, but since we make alot of the models ourselves, i thought it would be a little bit more special if we could fully make him his own RC Scale tractor and in keeping with scale and era with most of our other models.

So we chose a WW2 tractor commonly used in the war on airfields and of course they were used in civilian use aswell.
It is VERY similar to a Case VAI tractor, but with some tweaks along the way to make it work as a scale RC vehicle.

a few more upgrades to come e/g/ a slightly slower rpm motor for a bit more torque, some paint for the new British Resin printed driver

Now my daughter wants one, so will be building another for her soon, which will feature some resin printed parts for higher level of detail

A few others have asked for some to be built, so i will run a few more and possibly slightly different variants along the way

I will build one for myself (someday) and want to do some over extreme testing with it, i really want to see how much she can haul for its small size. Watch out for the videos!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	1wJdmOX.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	781.9 KB
ID:	2270654   Click image for larger version

Name:	gNsbHDK.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	810.9 KB
ID:	2270655  
The following users liked this post:
Pah co chu puk (08-31-2021)
Old 08-31-2021, 12:10 AM
Will01Capri

a quick 'extreme' test from my son whilst we were down the beach. Rock Crawling hahahahahahahaha

My son turned 7 and i can really see he is very quickly learning how to drive RC, he has great coordination.
He has obviously picked up a few habbits from me as i always push things well beyond the limits and i could see him just wanting to keep pushing this poor wee tractor, but so far it has survived!
Enjoy

Pah co chu puk (08-31-2021)
Old 08-31-2021, 03:03 AM
Crius

Received 313 Likes on 259 Posts

The tractor looks great, but as talented as your wife is with a paintbrush I can't believe you haven't gotten any paint on that driver. He's going to look great once Cat gets done putting some color on him. You got a pretty lucky kid, Will. Let's hope he still appreciates that when he hits those awful teenage years.
Will01Capri (08-31-2021)
Old 08-31-2021, 03:19 AM
Will01Capri

Originally Posted by Crius
The tractor looks great, but as talented as your wife is with a paintbrush I can't believe you haven't gotten any paint on that driver. He's going to look great once Cat gets done putting some color on him. You got a pretty lucky kid, Will. Let's hope he still appreciates that when he hits those awful teenage years.
awful teenage years are still a few away yet hopefully! maybe show him what a tent is for then and he can go sleep in the field behind the house haha
Yes, she will, just is a bit busy building and cleaning parts for other peoples models at mo
Old 08-31-2021, 05:18 AM
Pah co chu puk

Received 143 Likes on 93 Posts

Oh, that tractor totally rocks!

I started my son driving tanks when he was 6. By the time he was 8 he was taking out enemy tanks at the DAK battlefield. Looks like your son could be plowing fields and towing trailers with that thing soon.
Will01Capri (09-01-2021)
Old 09-01-2021, 05:00 AM
Will01Capri

Originally Posted by Pah co chu puk
Oh, that tractor totally rocks!

I started my son driving tanks when he was 6. By the time he was 8 he was taking out enemy tanks at the DAK battlefield. Looks like your son could be plowing fields and towing trailers with that thing soon.
hahahahaha

we have some much more grand plans!
It was built as a WW2 military airfield tractor, therefore i want to print him a Spitfire and hitch it up to the tractor so he can tow a spitfire around
We do model shows and exhibitions at our local aviation museum and they have a Spitfire, so it would be cool if he could show off with his in scale
Old 09-01-2021, 07:36 AM
Pah co chu puk

Received 143 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by Will01Capri
hahahahaha

we have some much more grand plans!
It was built as a WW2 military airfield tractor, therefore i want to print him a Spitfire and hitch it up to the tractor so he can tow a spitfire around
We do model shows and exhibitions at our local aviation museum and they have a Spitfire, so it would be cool if he could show off with his in scale
Nice! I love the Spitfire. It's a work of art. I look forward to seeing a movie of him towing one.
Will01Capri (09-01-2021)
Old 09-06-2021, 03:13 AM
Will01Capri

Some more videos on our YouTube channel of the Tractor out and about getting used and abused by my son haha
I need to get him to do some more slower speed and controlled driving, but he is just in a stage of driving like Daddy and going FULL THROTTLE everywhere haha

At least i can be sure that this model is getting a hard work out. I haven't actually finished putting the front axle location steady bars in place as i wanted to see how robust it was hanging the axle off only one point of contact with thin printed pla. I have to say with the driving it has already received it is more than strong enough, so that makes me feel happy. I will be adding the axle location bars in very soon

We have started to make a 2nd, but the next one has more re-designed parts as the top clam will be resin and the chassis now also has metal strengthening bars as currently the test model my son is using is only actually glued together with the odd small m2 bolt.
However the metal rods for strengthening are because we have some new HIGH torque motors on order and we want to haul some stuff, so it is going to flex the model very hard.

If you haven't already check out the videos and if you like what you see like and subscribe to our videos and share to friends and family
The following 2 users liked this post by Will01Capri:
Pah co chu puk (09-07-2021), Rjag (09-06-2021)
Old 02-07-2022, 06:45 AM
Will01Capri

Small test of the 2nd Tractor we build for my daughter, still 1/16, but with more torque and upgraded steering servo
Decided to do an unusual tractor pull. Didn't want to wreck her wee tractor, so we did take it easy on the small thing

Quite surprising as the models on the rolling stock are not light, that 251 weighs almost 2kg!

Pah co chu puk (02-07-2022)
Old 06-08-2022, 08:05 AM
Kelaris

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've had a tractor in my family since I was a teenager, and ever since then, I've been fascinated by them. There's so much to like about tractors, from their work to their potential to help the farm. The only problem is that they can be expensive. That's why I'm always looking for cheaper ones but still do the job right. My best advice for anyone who loves tractors is to find a used tractor with a solid engine; it's better to spend more money on one that's already proven itself than it is to buy a brand new tractor that will cost a lot of money down the line when you have to replace its engine or some other crucial part.