Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

New to the forum.

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2019, 09:31 AM
Uparmor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to the forum.

I am new here and was lead to this site while researching r/c Abrams tanks online and kept seeing RCU post threads and photos popping up in my searches. Been looking around at past threads for more information and getting ideas on what you all are doing. Unfortunately not as much stuff on Abrams as I expected, but for a few threads by the same person that I enjoyed reading. Going to PM the author later to ask more questions, I hope that is the proper etiquette or do I just ask on the thread?

Anyways I have a Tamiya Abrams and I am building up a Heng Long Abrams now to drive harder. Just can not get myself to be as hard on my $1300 Tamiya as I have seen in threads and photos of here.
Old 03-26-2019, 10:11 AM
Pah co chu puk

Received 143 Likes on 93 Posts

Welcome aboard. I built up a Heng Long Abrams so if you need info I may be able to help.
Old 03-26-2019, 12:00 PM
edoubleaz
My Feedback: (1)

Received 65 Likes on 43 Posts

I have worked on both and our club has a half dozen of each. Do you plan to battle?
Old 03-26-2019, 12:49 PM
Pcomm1.v2

Received 49 Likes on 36 Posts
Default Abrams Builds.

Welcome and me too

Have built a couple of HL Abrams, one a El Mod conversion and the other a Tamiya DMD, MFU, TBU conversion plus built the Tamiya Kit Abrams with TBU. All work pretty good. For example, Heng Long, I run the stock plastic geared transmissions with drop in Tamiya 380 motors and convert the plugs as or if necessary. Why? The transmissions run silent and are inexpensive to replace! The powerful HL Red Motors are also a good performance option for a HL Abrams upgrade. You can do much more, of course, but state your HL Abrams build goals.

Tip, build a nice hard running HL Abrams and you will not want to run it it hard either, regardless of cost! Takes courage to get your new finished model dirty, so it will be just as worrisome to run your HL Abrams as that Tamiya Abrams. Both are fun, my opinion.

Enjoy, what ever you.

John

Last edited by Pcomm1.v2; 03-26-2019 at 01:13 PM.
Old 03-26-2019, 02:46 PM
trackmech81

Welcome to the addiction
Old 03-26-2019, 05:17 PM
Uparmor

Thank you all for the warm welcome. To answer a few questions. I am not looking to battle the Heng Long Abrams I have the Tamiya should I choose to one day do battling. The Heng Long Abrams is planned to be a simple in its paint scheme just straight green so getting it scratched is not a big deal. I am used to driving my r/c trucks hard and damaging the bodies but then those are cheap to replace.

I saw some interesting photos in a few threads of a Heng Long Abrams being jumped and driving over rocks. Kinda want to be able to do the same thing. I PM'd the guy who posted the thread and photos but he has not yet gotten back to me. His stuff looks like it is build to take a beating. Any insights on his stuff, have any of you done any of his mods, it would be nice to hear what works and does not from as many different sources as I can.

Right now my parts wish list is, metal wheels and arms, rear sprocket support with bearings, metal tracks the kind with rubber pads, new gearboxes and those red motors for higher speeds. After that I will work on the turret stuff but want to have a solid base worked out before hand. I do plan on upgrading the radio but nothing fancy is really needed right now.
Old 03-26-2019, 05:17 PM
Pah co chu puk

Received 143 Likes on 93 Posts

Dragon is a Heng Long with an IBU3. It is battle ready with it's Tamiya compatible IR system. Dragon plays outdoors in terrain as diverse as tundra and desert. I like the IBU3, it works well. I also have a Tamiya tank (Loepard 2A6), it takes the outdoor abuse just as well as the Heng Long, The Tamiya tanks are tougher than you may think.
Old 03-27-2019, 02:07 AM
tankme

Received 207 Likes on 169 Posts

I've actually been doing a lot of work on both my Abrams as of late. Trying to build the HL it as an M1A2 SEP v2 and the Trumpeter kit as a straight M1A1 AIM. I have about a dozen reference books on the Abrams so mine probably is a bit more rivet county, but it's all good. Nothing wrong with building what you like and how you like it. Have a few more things to scratch build so I've kinda been holding off showing it's progress. I've even been debating making some molds of the stuff I've scratch built in order to make it easy for a future build.
Old 03-27-2019, 01:47 PM
RichJohnson

Received 374 Likes on 238 Posts

You are talking about Fasttanks and his amazing rock crawling tanks. He has them all tuned up and dialed in to do what he wants. And yes they are fast and they do get airborne. He was just here the other day and we were playing shermans. Any way, his threads are pretty descriptive of his mods, and tweeks. Hes a busy guy but Im sure he will get back to you soon.
If you can find the industrial stuff he recommends for the mods you will make a smooth running tank.