Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

Bratskaya Mogila na Dovoikh, 1:10 scale, all metal

Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Bratskaya Mogila na Dovoikh, 1:10 scale, all metal

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2018, 09:45 AM
lposter

Received 151 Likes on 87 Posts
Default Bratskaya Mogila na Dovoikh, 1:10 scale, all metal

I used to post a sort of build thread on this on another forum, which deleted all my pictures, then I moved it to another forum which now seems to be defunct.

The loss of a lot of pictures and text and a couple of problems with teh tank put me off it for a year or so but now I have blown the dust off it and intend resuming. Hopefully this site will be around for a while and not delete my pictures as they are my only record!

I'll post a few posts more to get my pictures up.

P
Old 10-26-2018, 10:13 AM
lposter

This was the start - steel sheet and some bits and pieces. Tracks were motorbike chain. Running gear was simply cobbled together.

I dont know if it will ever be RC as sound cards are very expensive.

P
Old 10-26-2018, 10:17 AM
lposter

The suspension is just springs on a pair of aluminium u-channels. Its worked for me before and allows adjustments of sorts.

P
Old 10-26-2018, 10:18 AM
Pah co chu puk

Received 143 Likes on 93 Posts

Looks exciting so far...
Old 10-26-2018, 10:23 AM
lposter

Ive always wanted a T-60 as there were thousands of them and they saved the day to some extent outside Moscow even if they were total crap.

Its a bit crude in places but so were the real ones so its hardly a problem.

I wasnt so happy with bits a pieces so they were reworked at various periods.

The top hull is a press fit and Im happy with that as attaching hulls has always been a problem for me. The bracing that was visible in the earlier picture of the lower hull was eventually discarded as it just wasnt needed.

P
Old 10-26-2018, 10:27 AM
lposter

The wheels have little bearings but they dont all run straight and I havent the interest to go faffing about with them. If I ever RC it I will see how bad they look (its a 1 mm cant on a full rotation for two of them).

I like 1:10 scale as its big but not awkward but even though the scale is nice, there are no parts availabel except from German artisans which normal folk cannot really afford.

P
Old 10-26-2018, 10:32 AM
lposter

The suspension unit can come out as a unit - I did this as my hnads are too big for messing with springs inside teh hull. This way I could simply simulate different masses on the two suspension bars and figure out the adjustment for the ride height I wanted.

The gear boxes are standard HL. This was an issue as the fit is excrutiatingly tight given the narrow front end. I used flexible couplings as I like them and it cuts out some fiddling.

As it was, after teh boxes were fitted, my measurements had been out and the hull top was hitting the uppermost gear on teh left (front facing) box. This was because I had measured off teh right gearbox which is actually lower. Being mightily pissed about it with no soultion in sight, I mothballed the whole thing until I figured out a way out.

P
Old 10-26-2018, 10:35 AM
lposter

Bits like tow hitches are the sort of stuff 1:16 is good for - you can but them off the shelf. Making them is a pain in the rear as you solder them up and then try and solder them to the hull without them falling apart. Different solder temperatures help but they are not so easy to buy anymore.

You can actually se the problem caused by the gearbox in this picture...the hull is not flush with the glacis at all. That really toasted my flakes.

P
Old 10-26-2018, 10:40 AM
RichJohnson

Received 374 Likes on 238 Posts

Dang! Wow
Old 10-26-2018, 10:41 AM
lposter

The turret was also a headache...its a sort of hexagon with a slope and getting the individual plates to line up for soldering is a job for an octopus. In the end a frame was built inside and the bits leaned up against that.

P
Old 10-26-2018, 10:46 AM
lposter

And this is pretty much where it got to before it got to me. That glacis plate issue, one of teh stowage boxes that simply wouldnt close right and just the sight of it were sufficient to stick it in a box for over a year and start on something else.

But I took it out recently and solved the glacis/gearbox issue once and for all. The stowage box was removed and replaced with a brass external fuel tank. Once I get that soldered on and find the expensive shovel I bought from Giesseweks.de....I will get it ready for painting. I even bought decals!

I was going to do a partisan fighting beutepanzer but now think I will just go winter soviet.

P
Old 10-26-2018, 12:03 PM
Markocaster

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Cool ! Nice project. I also like 1/10, but it is tough to find extra parts.
Nice work 👍
Old 10-26-2018, 12:32 PM
Crius

Received 313 Likes on 259 Posts

I think it's incredible. Really top notch work. I know you from RCTW, where I'm Max-U52, and I've seen a lot of your great work there. If the gearboxes are standard HL, have you thought about trying mid/low gearboxes? That would fix your glacis issue.

You said something about "normal folk"? Come on now, we're RC Tankers, everyone knows we ain't normal. I've always said ... You have to be crazy to be an RC Tanker, because a normal person would go insane.
Old 10-26-2018, 01:16 PM
MAUS45

Received 38 Likes on 35 Posts

Wow, you scratch metal work is amazing!!! Really nice T60!!!
Old 10-26-2018, 05:30 PM
RC_BobM

Received 97 Likes on 76 Posts

Really nice work! Fantastic job.
Bob
Old 10-27-2018, 09:08 AM
Tanque

Received 95 Likes on 82 Posts

I love it. The model at the point at which you decided to stow it in a box would have made many people happy with that progress as it was.
I also find a need to set a project down for a while, it's easy to become burned out at which point we don't do our best.

Jerry
Old 10-27-2018, 03:51 PM
ChuckATruck

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow you model are absolutely amazing
Old 12-01-2018, 10:23 AM
lposter

Ive been slowly tipping away at the T-60 as Im desperate now to get it off my desk, into a box and out of the way. Finished off some fabrication jobs and other small things and then set about sloshing some paint on it.

I don't like painting but it had to be done. I went for a Beutepanzer as I had some spare decals that I just stuck on. Plus, Germans modified the T-60 heavily and that allowed me to add a box on the back which could hide the on-off switch and get rid of the Soviet stowage box which just wouldn't behave.

Its been assembled now but without tracks as I want to clear coat it to protect it. I may rc it but its most likely to go back in a box as I have a couple of other tanks to finish. Im also sick of having different systems in different tanks and trying to remember whats what. In addition sound cards are a horrible price. So Im thinking of building a module containing the open panzer board, the receiver, a sound card and the three ESC's which I can then just lift out and put in whatever tank I want to drive without having to remember controls, switches etc etc.
The photos below are not good quality but I may take better ones when the tracks go on.

P

Old 05-16-2019, 08:38 AM
lposter

Stuck some chains on the T-60 to finish it. I got hold of a couple of Open Panzer boards a while ago and a few cheap ESC's from Hobby king and these are what will run the tank I hope. NO idea what to do for a sound card but possibly one of the cheap Das Mikro boards or something. Will be interesting to see if the small cheap gearboxes are up to the task but if not...no harm. IT can sit on the shelf.

If anyone has a quick link to making those sound boards work with tanks...Id be grateful.

P
Old 05-16-2019, 09:19 AM
Pcomm1.v2

Received 49 Likes on 36 Posts

Beautiful model, impressive pro work!
Old 05-16-2019, 06:44 PM
herrmill

Received 63 Likes on 47 Posts

Indeed! My jaw hit the floor over the IJA Tiger & now this.

That is some beautiful work!
Old 05-16-2019, 08:21 PM
tankme

Received 207 Likes on 169 Posts

Nice. Talk about indestructible tracks...