Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

Heng Long Tiger I Questions

Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Heng Long Tiger I Questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2019, 06:11 AM
ThurmanMerman'sSherman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Heng Long Tiger I Questions

So I've got a newer HL Tiger I, one of the ones with the 2.4ghz radio and 5 sets of sound effects. I've noticed there are some inaccuracies on the tank itself and found a few threads listing these...but also notice that a few have been fixed too. For instance, older threads mention the mantlet is on upside-down...but on mine it's correct. The pistol port is rotated 90 degrees the wrong way...but mine is fine. I did find that the commander's cupola is still rotated wrong, so I fixed that.

My question is when it comes to the barrel. Does anyone know if it's still too short? What is the correct length for a 1/16 Tiger I barrel?

Also, if I were wanting to change my airsoft firing system to just a simple recoil and flash (if it has infared built in...I can live with that, but I don't plan on actually battling)...how would I go about this? Do the Tiagen/IMEX systems plug into the Heng Long board? Is there an upgrade/mod system that will plug in to the Heng Long board?
Old 04-08-2019, 07:01 AM
Imex-Erik

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts

The new airsoft units they are using are a bit strange to work with. They have built in recoil but recoil backwards like the old tanks used to way back in the day. As you fire it is a slow recoil back as the unit winds up and a fast return to battery. I see why mechanically they would want to do this as the barrel is fairly strong and impact resistant but the realism is effected this way. Due to this new way of attaching the barrel to the airsoft unit adding the LED flash is going to be difficult. There is an output for it on the board but no actual equipment made to take advantage of it or way to mount it. You will most likely have to either gut the airsoft unit to run a cable through it or just run a small LED outside to the end of the barrel and wrap it with camo netting and be done with it
Old 04-08-2019, 07:47 AM
ThurmanMerman'sSherman

I noticed that on the Imex store there are brand new recoil and light kits, but it states that they work with Tiagen tanks. Do any of these plug in to the Heng Long board with no issues? Or will none of those work?

If I need to completely remove the airsoft unit, recoil servo, barrel, etc. I'm willing to. I'm just looking for a kit that has the following criteria:

-correct barrel length
-recoil
-bright LED flash in barrel
-no airsoft
-plug and play with Heng Long board
Old 04-08-2019, 09:32 AM
Crius

Received 313 Likes on 259 Posts

This might not be the cheapest way to go, but I'm lazy so I'd just swap in an IR turret.

https://www.imex-model.com/product/T...T.html?cid=263

It should be a straight swap, but I'm not positive about the latest HL stuff. Does it have up down movement on the barrel or does it cycle through? Erik could probably tell you if there would be any wiring changes required, but I think it's either plug and play, or at least very close.
Old 04-08-2019, 09:46 AM
ThurmanMerman'sSherman

It does have up and down control, not just the cycling (thankfully).
Old 04-08-2019, 02:00 PM
Imex-Erik

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by ThurmanMerman'sSherman
I noticed that on the Imex store there are brand new recoil and light kits, but it states that they work with Tiagen tanks. Do any of these plug in to the Heng Long board with no issues? Or will none of those work?

If I need to completely remove the airsoft unit, recoil servo, barrel, etc. I'm willing to. I'm just looking for a kit that has the following criteria:

-correct barrel length
-recoil
-bright LED flash in barrel
-no airsoft
-plug and play with Heng Long board
No, our flash unit is not compatible with the new HL board at all. No place to plug it on the new one
Originally Posted by Crius
This might not be the cheapest way to go, but I'm lazy so I'd just swap in an IR turret.

https://www.imex-model.com/product/T...T.html?cid=263

It should be a straight swap, but I'm not positive about the latest HL stuff. Does it have up down movement on the barrel or does it cycle through? Erik could probably tell you if there would be any wiring changes required, but I think it's either plug and play, or at least very close.
HL changed the wiring on the new boards, they are not compatible without a full rewire and possibly more.
Old 04-09-2019, 12:45 AM
jarndice

Received 64 Likes on 60 Posts

Hi, Heng Long have made massive strides forward with the detail on all their Armour BUT one obvious error is on the latest Tiger 1 body just as it was on the earliest Tiger 1 Body and that is the Two Spare Aerial Holders,
One on the Left Flank of the engine bay and one on the right,
The Tiger 1 Command Tank did carry extra Aerial holders but they were in different locations on the Body,
The regular Tiger 1 only carried one Spare Aerial Holder and looking from the Back of the Tiger to the front the Aerial Holder on the Left flank should be removed.
A little patience and a sharp blade will get it off easily.
Old 04-09-2019, 04:04 AM
JREEVES
My Feedback: (2)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

The overall length of the barrel from mantlet to tip of muzzle brake should be 9 inches more or less, at least the 2018 version. Not sure what they've changed with recoil?
Old 04-10-2019, 05:58 AM
ThurmanMerman'sSherman

Originally Posted by jarndice
Hi, Heng Long have made massive strides forward with the detail on all their Armour BUT one obvious error is on the latest Tiger 1 body just as it was on the earliest Tiger 1 Body and that is the Two Spare Aerial Holders,
One on the Left Flank of the engine bay and one on the right,
The Tiger 1 Command Tank did carry extra Aerial holders but they were in different locations on the Body,
The regular Tiger 1 only carried one Spare Aerial Holder and looking from the Back of the Tiger to the front the Aerial Holder on the Left flank should be removed.
A little patience and a sharp blade will get it off easily.
Yes, thank you for reminding me of this as well. I have bookmarked a post on another forum that covers a lot of these details. This is one that I remember, I'm sure it's due to them possibly mirroring a part of the body in order to avoid having to computer sculpt the entire body from scratch.

That should be pretty simple to fix. I'm also thinking of moving the antenna to the proper position on the body as well. Which will require me moving the speaker a bit to make room for the antenna mount.
Old 04-10-2019, 05:59 AM
ThurmanMerman'sSherman

Originally Posted by Imex-Erik
No, our flash unit is not compatible with the new HL board at all. No place to plug it on the new one

HL changed the wiring on the new boards, they are not compatible without a full rewire and possibly more.
Erik, thank you for the clarification!