Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

Tamyia Abrams vs Heng Long Abrams for IR battling?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Tamyia Abrams vs Heng Long Abrams for IR battling?

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2019, 12:15 PM
Fsttanks

Received 251 Likes on 148 Posts
Default Tamyia Abrams vs Heng Long Abrams for IR battling?

Well this has been a long road for me as I tend to work things backwards compared to most here on this forum. As many of you have read and seen in person over the last few years I have been working up my Heng Long Abrams trying to find both the extreme limits and best balances of performance potential in the area of top end speed, off road capabilities and durability before committing to it fully as a "heavy" main battle IR tank. I was able to achieve some remarkable improvements in all areas and have ended up with an outstanding performer, fun tank to play around with and put on a demo shows. Even so, sometimes too good hurts rather than enhances and in this case was proving true. Unfortunately an outstanding performer and show stoping demos does not always equal a good IR battle tank especially for an overall worn out and abused tank such as my "test bed" HL Abrams.

So what to do? Build a another completely new HL Abrams and incorporating most of the advancements and improvements developed over the last few years of testing and field proofing or take the simple route and go with the highly recommended Tamyia Abrams. End cost would be similar and with some friendly "egging on" by other members here and by the guys and gals at the IR battle fields I play at, I deicide I would give the Tamyia Abrams a go and see just how well it compares.

I did not want to bore everyone with a build thread on it so it is coming to you built and ready to start testing and fighting. I resisted the urge to modify a few things that I suspected might need addressing and built it mostly stock with the exception that I added the DLKM metal upgrade gear set to the transmission. I also made it so the battery lines could be accessed for charging by removing the commanders hatch thereby greatly reducing the need to constantly be taking the top half of the turret on and off which over time would no double cause loose fitment issues. Paint scheme I chose to go with as you can see is a departure from the prolific tan almost everyone seems to do, instead I went with a "NATOish" camo scheme, which will dirty up rather quickly and nicely. As such I did not do my usual weathering as it would be covered in dirt and dust, that is with the exception of a simple chalk dusting to bring out some of the plastic detail highlights (those these do not show up well in the photos).

Tamyia Abrams on right, Heng Long Abrams on left.

TESTING:

I did run the new Tamyia Abrams over most of my test course and with its rubber padded tracks, as expect, it did well enough though a few issue were notes and will be addressed shortly. First it suffer from the same issues stock HL Abrams have with low ground clearance, but because the Tamyia has a number of bolt heads sticking out from the bottom of its lower hull it gets stuck a little easier as these tend to catch on terrain features. Another issue the Tamyia Abrams has is in its weight balance in two areas, front to back and in turret weight. Front to back is biased to the rear by an estimated 65% when the turret in facing forward. With the battery weight in the turret caution while on off camber terrain (25deg. or more) is needed especially if one rotates the turret to ensure the barrel does not impact the ground or while turing the turret to engage a target. The weight transfer of the rotating turret causes the center of gravity to be thrown off substantially and almost caused a few "roll overs". Something not experienced with HL Abrams or other HL modern tanks. In fact the Tamyia Abrams became more unstable than my Tamyia M51 on the same off camber obstacle. This center of gravity change becomes even more unpredictable on off camber terrain when the "gun barrel / target lock" auto stabilization system is active. Is this a big deal? To some no, to me and my style of aggressive driving and hard charging combat fighting YES (lol those that have seen me fight my tanks know what I mean).

Enough on weight balance for now I will be addressing it shortly so check back, now on to speed an cross country performance. While many would consider the top end factory dash speed fast, I do not. Scale it come in at best around 40 mph. I would like it just a bit faster, around the high 40s or low 50s. Right now my HL Abrams and Leopard 2 with 390 motors at 9.6v run circles around the Tamyia Abrams. There are a few solutions for bumping up the speed a little and I will be experimenting with these in due course. The suspension on the Tamyia Abrams makes for a rather "bouncy" ride while at top speed over even light cross country terrain and I believe this is because it is too stiff for overall weight of the tank and the excessive rear weight bias. Sadly it makes for a toy like looking ride. Granted the HL Abrams, Leopard 2 also have this toy like "bounce" when all stock plastic, but with the addition of metal road wheels, suspensions, metal/rubber track and resetting the springs they smooth out nicely. I believe the "bounce" will work itself out as I change were weight is carried in the tank.

Now for IR fighting as a heavy "cold war/modern" tank and the advantages I can see over my modified HL Abrams. The Tamyia Abrams is super SMOOTH in all mechanical functions. It has an excellent run time maintaining a longer peak performance envelop and for the life of me I can not yet get it to throw a track. It is a slightly easier tank to maneuver with excellent low and high speed control. This makes up for some of its shortfalls and makes for a tank that takes less thought to drive hard over most battle fields and thus more attention can be focused on fighting the tank vs driving the tank. I look forward to tweaking the Tamyia Abrams a bit here and there to enhance its potential as fighting tank. It may never match my modified HL Abrams as a show/demo/basher tank in some respects, but then things do change and time will tell.

Check back soon and see what is taking place with this tank. Hope you enjoy and please feel free to add your constructive input.

Tamyia Abrams on “off camber” obstacle.

Tamyia Abrams on “brake over” obstacle.

Tamyia Abrams on “brake over” obstacle.

Last edited by Fsttanks; 05-13-2019 at 09:21 PM.
Old 05-13-2019, 01:28 PM
Uparmor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just read your post and checked out the photos in your gallery. I am still on the fence about which Abrams to go with. By the way thank you for all your help and answering my questions they really made me stop and rethink things. I will be looking forward to what more you have to say about the Tamyia.
Old 05-13-2019, 08:06 PM
Pcomm1.v2

Received 49 Likes on 36 Posts

Interesting write up, both tanks look good, well done.
Old 05-16-2019, 08:17 PM
Pcomm1.v2

I use a Sand Scorcher for rock crawling work, give it a try, more fun than using a tank!

Tamiya Abrams.

Godzilla knock down proof.

HL Abrams.

After a read again of your post: Until either one of your Abrams can take down Godzilla you really are not there yet, but a good start though!

Last edited by Pcomm1.v2; 05-16-2019 at 08:21 PM.
Old 05-16-2019, 11:53 PM
Fsttanks

Originally Posted by Pcomm1.v2

I use a Sand Scorcher for rock crawling work, give it a try, more fun than using a tank!

Tamiya Abrams.

Godzilla knock down proof.

HL Abrams.

After a read again of your post: Until either one of your Abrams can take down Godzilla you really are not there yet, but a good start though!
I am going to take the above comments as meaning you believe your tank skills are superior, because not knowing you that is what they read like to me. Plus the last time you posted the "exact same photos" on one of my treads about a year ago it was with negative connotations. I clearly stated in my first post for "constructive input" and I don't see it as constructive in any way. Now I could have left in what more I wrote (deleted for now) but I thought I would hold off in hopes I am wrong and you meant the above in all good jest.

I put a lot of time in testing and pushing tanks in ways the vast majority of folks are far far too afraid of and I openly post my results and thoughts on these test here. If you have done the same please post your work, results and thoughts on this forum too for all of us to critique. If not please keep the comments constructive. I do these tests, trials and tweaks for the "library of shared knowledge" between those in the RC tank world and many people have found them fun and useful both in the sheer entertainment value and in actual improvements to builds.

Tamiya Abrams on "start / stop / start " high angle torque climb on high grip obstacle.

Tamiya Abrams motor torque testing. High angle "start / stop / start" obstacle.

Last edited by Fsttanks; 05-17-2019 at 12:04 AM.
Old 05-17-2019, 02:48 AM
Pcomm1.v2

"I am going to take the above comments as meaning you believe your tank skills are superior, because not knowing you that is what they read like to me..."

"Response to FSTV", Not a problem, I understand now that English is not your first language.

Here is some help: At worst, I was simply playful in my post and your reading plus interpretive skills are pretty weak. What I clearly wrote is that until I see your Abrams' knocking out Godzilla, you are not there yet.

What that translates to in ENGLISH is that: "until I see a photo of your Abrams' knocking out Godzilla your are not there yet".

That you climb stuff in your backyard with rc tanks is kinda of rc un-tank like entertaining, but it is also mostly humorous stuff

In regards to my photo of my Abrams' taking out Godzilla. Really now, it is all "the same photo rerun thing" yours and mine, LOL, going on here!

If you do not like Godzilla photo, which is understandable, why not photograph your rc tanks running over you wife's pots and pans, kinda like a tank trap field exercise.

Can't wait to see your blurry photos and or take a few free photography lessons on YouTube.

Old 05-17-2019, 06:03 AM
Cruiser133

On a brighter note, I do love the old school Tamiya 1/10 buggies. I still have my original mid 80's vintage Frog and Hornet. I bought my son a re-re Grasshopper and he loves it.
Old 05-17-2019, 06:58 AM
Uparmor

"I am going to take the above comments as meaning you believe your tank skills are superior, because not knowing you that is what they read like to me..."

"Response to FSTV", Not a problem, I understand now that English is not your first language.

Here is some help: At worst, I was simply playful in my post and your reading plus interpretive skills are pretty weak. What I clearly wrote is that until I see your Abrams' knocking out Godzilla, you are not there yet.

What that translates to in ENGLISH is that: "until I see a photo of your Abrams' knocking out Godzilla your are not there yet".

That you climb stuff in your backyard with rc tanks is kinda of rc un-tank like entertaining, but it is also mostly humorous stuff

In regards to my photo of my Abrams' taking out Godzilla. Really now, it is all "the same photo rerun thing" yours and mine, LOL, going on here!

If you do not like Godzilla photo, which is understandable, why not photograph your rc tanks running over you wife's pots and pans, kinda like a tank trap field exercise.

Can't wait to see your blurry photos and or take a few free photography lessons on YouTube.

I might be new here, but not to the world of RC. I am one of those that have enjoyed reading Fsttanks threads. I can see where your post is a little back handed and bordering on thread crapping in my opinion. It really served no purpose and was not constructive. Oh and his photos are usually excellent so I am guessing the last two were from a video screen shot then blown up by the look of them. I have seen some of Fsttanks videos. Be glad he only posts photos because they would put your work to shame.

Sorry Fsttanks for bring up the videos, but you should post them online they are awesome.

Last edited by Uparmor; 05-17-2019 at 07:40 AM.
Old 05-17-2019, 08:35 AM
Pah co chu puk

Received 143 Likes on 93 Posts

I have to agree with the post above by Uparmor.

"I understand now that English is not your first language." That statement is meant to insult, and is not constructive in any way.

I respect what Fasttanks is doing. It's not my cup of tea for sure, but he is pushing the envelope of RC tank performance and showing all of us what he is learning. I am thankful for the info he is posting. I would love to see the movies of his tanks doing his obstacle course. I could learn a lot watching those movies. My tanks have to perform in the real world, they play and battle outdoors, so the "Research" Fasttanks is doing is very valuable to me.

You, Pcomm1.v2 only seem to build stock Tamiya tanks and never venture into the world of upgrades. Again, not my cup of tea, but if it keeps you happy, then more power to ya. However, please don't insult the folks who choose to think outside the Tamiya box.
Old 05-17-2019, 10:08 AM
Fsttanks

Ok, moving on with this thread.

Focusing on "top end" speed:

I have been working the Tamiya Abrams up slowly to determine the "sweet spot" in it's main (forward / back) motor torque curve, what is and is not needed for various terrain, climbing and top end speed that I would like to achieve. It would appear that the stock 540 27 turn motor has far more low end torque then it truly needed for even the most difficult climbs and silty dirt/sand. So I am going to swap it out for a 540 23 turn motor which will have slightly less torque but higher RMP rating. This should bump up the top end speed, but retain more than enough torque as to not be noticed in low speed handling or overcoming difficult terrain. I suspect based on my R/C car/truck experience with 540 motors that even going down to a 19 turn motor will be fine, but one step at a time.

I should be reporting back on this phase in about a week as I have a few IR battles here in SoCal to run the Abrams in prior (good chance if you are in SoCal to actually see my mods in action and critique them first hand). One battle will be with the stock 27 turn and one with the 23 turn so as to compare the handling performance and differences in actual IR combat use.

Sorry no photos to add this time but there should be some of the Abrams from this weekends battle and demo posted here Sun or Mon.

Last edited by Fsttanks; 05-17-2019 at 11:47 AM.
Old 05-17-2019, 10:38 AM
Rad_Schuhart

Received 55 Likes on 38 Posts

Hi Fsttanks, I do appreciate your threads too. You did the review of the hooben fury Sherman, right? I found it very interesting.
Thats one of the glorious things of forums, if every one of us share our part of knowledge, we create a huge database full of interesting info.
Old 05-17-2019, 11:29 AM
Fsttanks

Battery access for charging:

I mentioned this mod in my initial thread post and since I have not seen it done or posted anywhere prior online here is my solution.

It was clear that continued opening and closing of the turret halves to access the battery for charging was going to cause the plastic on plastic locking mechanisms to wear and become loose fitting fairly rapidly. This would lead to rattling on squeaking something I do not really want a lot out of this tank.

Seeing that the commanders turret ring/hatch module sat directly above the battery / power connector and that my fingers fit through the opening I could reach the connectors and plug/unplug them with ease. All that needed to be done was not screw down the commanders hatch module as per the instruction. I found that if I simply added extensions to the existing screw whole location on the bottom of the module roughly the same diameter as the intended screws these would fit nicely into and through the molded in screw slots on the upper turret half. The added extension would hold the module in place and their length would keep the module from bouncing out or around when in place on the turret.

So far this has proven to work well. Easier access to the battery/power connection and the module has remained solidly in place during all testing. Ok for all you pulling your hair out over charging a batter inside a tank, please note I only use good chargers and quality NiMh batteries in my tanks and in 30+ years of using hundreds of said batteries in various r/c products, never once have I had an issue with fire or melting. That said it is better to charge LiPoly outside the tank for those not experienced with them and their charging nuances.

Photos of the commanders hatch module mods and power connection access.

Commanders hatch module.

Module removed and showing access to power connections.

Power connections are easily accessed. Molded in screw mounting points can be seen on the sides of the opening.

Simple extension added to screw mounting points on bottom of module. These fit into the molded in mounting points seen in the main turret opening.

Last edited by Fsttanks; 05-17-2019 at 11:35 AM.
Old 05-17-2019, 11:32 AM
Pcomm1.v2

Default Brief Hi-Jack and Bye.

"Pah co chu puk, You, Pcomm1.v2 only seem to build stock Tamiya tanks and never venture into the world of upgrades. Again, not my cup of tea, but if it keeps you happy, then more power to ya. However, please don't insult the folks who choose to think outside the Tamiya box." OK. More mean words from the Colorado fire fighter who insulted MIGS beautiful wife who is fighting brain cancer!

FYI, the basic upgrades for a good running, durable infrared battle rc tank are:
1. Gearbox Mount Brace
2. Adjustable Idlers that work
3. Metal elevation arm(s)
4. Road wheel bearings
5. Solid responsive turret and elevation drives
6. Good tracks that run true
7. Larger motors
Everyone of my Tamiya and other builds use these upgrades.

A few of my not so "stock" rc tank colaborations, including Tamiya, HL and Torro, LOL, follow.

Last edited by Pcomm1.v2; 05-17-2019 at 11:36 AM.
Old 05-17-2019, 11:39 AM
Fsttanks

Originally Posted by Rad_Schuhart
Hi Fsttanks, I do appreciate your threads too. You did the review of the hooben fury Sherman, right? I found it very interesting.
Thats one of the glorious things of forums, if every one of us share our part of knowledge, we create a huge database full of interesting info.
Thank you.

Yes I did the Hooben Fury review with the help of another forum member. That was a really fun one to work on.
Old 05-18-2019, 06:02 AM
cleong

Received 78 Likes on 64 Posts

I'm another guy who liked the Abrams so much I bought the Heng Long Abrams and then as soon as the Tamiya Abrams came out, that as well.

Just for the sake of this thread, here is how each of my Abrams was kitted out:

Heng Long Abrams
Metal tracks with rubber pads
Henntec Track tensioners
Metal road wheels with bearings
DKLM PDSGB
Clark TK22 Abrams board
Servo recoil and elevation
Custom speaker box with Visaton speaker

Tamiya Abrams
As stock

The stock Heng Long possessed a number of weaknesses for IR battling, namely the lack of track tensioning, and a sturdy gearbox. My upgrade path resulted in a tail-heavy tank, as the PDSGB gearbox is much heavier than the standard gearboxes (even the upgraded metal gear types). It resulted in a rear-heavy tank that required constant trimming of the gun barrel to achieve consistent aim - depending on how you last drove, your gun barrel could be pointing at the dirt or shooting at birds! My version of the Clark board was an early one, and the engine sounds weren't well-modulated though I am told it has been improved.

The Tamiya is much better mechanically, but isn't without its faults. Its track tensioner settings are too coarse and it really needs an articulating idler wheel like the Tamiya Pershing, given how far the idler wheel sits ahead of the first road wheel. If it wasn't for the burly side skirt, track-throwing would be a common occurrence. There is a bug in the electronics which manifests occasionally - when you turn on turret/barrel stabilization, the turret creeps even though the tank isn't moving. Its not unique to my tank as others in my club have experienced the same issue. But seeing as heading-hold isn't a big advantage in IR games, it doesn't bother me very much. What does bother me though, is that the Abrams is somewhat less sensitive to hitting an opponent, yet more sensitive to receiving hits. I can only surmise that, as a modern tank with its speed advantage, Tamiya deemed fit to make it harder for Abrams drivers to hit the opponent. This would be a different and less obvious handicap than what is seen in the Tamiya Leopard 2A6 where it freezes upon being hit or firing a shot.

That being said, I have pretty much retired the Heng Long as the Tamiya works more reliably - I am just a little too lazy to spend time troubleshooting the second Abrams now that I have one that works properly.
Old 05-20-2019, 10:10 AM
Fsttanks

Originally Posted by cleong
I'm another guy who liked the Abrams so much I bought the Heng Long Abrams and then as soon as the Tamiya Abrams came out, that as well.

Just for the sake of this thread, here is how each of my Abrams was kitted out:

Heng Long Abrams
Metal tracks with rubber pads
Henntec Track tensioners
Metal road wheels with bearings
DKLM PDSGB
Clark TK22 Abrams board
Servo recoil and elevation
Custom speaker box with Visaton speaker

Tamiya Abrams
As stock

The stock Heng Long possessed a number of weaknesses for IR battling, namely the lack of track tensioning, and a sturdy gearbox. My upgrade path resulted in a tail-heavy tank, as the PDSGB gearbox is much heavier than the standard gearboxes (even the upgraded metal gear types). It resulted in a rear-heavy tank that required constant trimming of the gun barrel to achieve consistent aim - depending on how you last drove, your gun barrel could be pointing at the dirt or shooting at birds! My version of the Clark board was an early one, and the engine sounds weren't well-modulated though I am told it has been improved.

The Tamiya is much better mechanically, but isn't without its faults. Its track tensioner settings are too coarse and it really needs an articulating idler wheel like the Tamiya Pershing, given how far the idler wheel sits ahead of the first road wheel. If it wasn't for the burly side skirt, track-throwing would be a common occurrence. There is a bug in the electronics which manifests occasionally - when you turn on turret/barrel stabilization, the turret creeps even though the tank isn't moving. Its not unique to my tank as others in my club have experienced the same issue. But seeing as heading-hold isn't a big advantage in IR games, it doesn't bother me very much. What does bother me though, is that the Abrams is somewhat less sensitive to hitting an opponent, yet more sensitive to receiving hits. I can only surmise that, as a modern tank with its speed advantage, Tamiya deemed fit to make it harder for Abrams drivers to hit the opponent. This would be a different and less obvious handicap than what is seen in the Tamiya Leopard 2A6 where it freezes upon being hit or firing a shot.

That being said, I have pretty much retired the Heng Long as the Tamiya works more reliably - I am just a little too lazy to spend time troubleshooting the second Abrams now that I have one that works properly.
Thank you for your input.

A couple of things I learned with the HL Abrams to be reliable when running metal/rubber padded track is the addition of a rear drive axle support bearing and replacing the front idler wheel with one from an M41/M26. On mine (3 of them) I also changed the type of return rollers to HL M41/M26 style, repositioned them slightly higher on the hull and closer to the idler and sprocket. The idler wheel and return roller changes where a vast improvement over stock. Finding the right combinations took a lot of time and effort and did result in huge improvements in performance and reliability that in some aspect surpass that of the Tamiya Abrams.

The issues you see with the Tamiya Abrams (or HL Abrams ) in IR combat not hitting targets as easily is well known. It is a factor of the barrel height over the ground which is quite low when compared to the majority of WW II tanks. It is also an easier tank to hit for a similar reason as its "apple" sits much lower than most as well. My M51 Sherman is a much harder tank to receive hit on as its "apple" sits rather high and with its higher gun position a seemingly more accurate tank.

On solution if you have not tried it already is to change the IR bulb to a higher output which will ensure greater hit probability. All my tanks have them as do all the tanks I fight against at the clubs in CA. It also provides for extended engagement ranges in bright noonday sunlight out to and beyond 40 yards. So closer in fighting you should see a marked improvement in your Abrams ability to score hits on enemy tanks.

For me driving and fighting the Tamiya Abrams has been kind of a roller coster of emotions as it does things well enough, but not to the level it was hyped. Stock it is to slow to truly exploit its "heavy tank" classification and its low ground clearance with lack of smooth underside has caused a few issues with getting "hung up". I will be working on speed improvement and I think I will also be addressing the screw heads that protrude from the bottom of the hull in order to smooth it out.

For now like you I have retired my "test bed" HL Abrams seen in the first photo of this thread (and in so many of my other threads) to the "display shelf" were it has truly earned its place of rest.

Last edited by Fsttanks; 05-20-2019 at 10:13 AM.
Old 05-20-2019, 11:41 AM
Tanque

Received 95 Likes on 82 Posts

What's the deal with the antagonism some folks have here? Haven't some been banned from previous forum venues
in the past for that sort of behavior?

It's a hobby gents, nothing more. If all this stuff disappeared tomorrow you'd all still be your happy joyous selves..
Why some people have to establish themselves as top dog, or more knowledgeable than others, or have this or have that;
make themselves feel better or superior by trying to diminish others makes me question participation in these things.

I don't do modern tanks, or haven't up to now. I've been kicking around the idea of an Abrams and though the Tamiya would
be more in line with what I do. Heaven knows I do enough mods on other models I'd like a box to open and the parts jump together for me.
not that I'm afraid of changing things. This thread was very timely for me and the information good. I've never thrashed my models, rather I tuck
them in at night but I'd like to know that they can be driven as hard as could be on occasion without leaving a trial of parts in the field. I'm
slowly gaining an appreciation for modern armor( although I still think they all look the same- and I understand why they do) so the Abrams
will likely be it.

Keep the info coming for modern armor newbies like me; whoever has it- fork it over. I can always learn new stuff.

Oh yeah, for off road buggies, I still believe nothing will ever match a Kyosho LandJump for sheer toughness...

Jerry
Old 06-25-2019, 11:31 AM
Fsttanks

Well I finally got some IR battles under the Tamiya Abrams belt so to speak and have what I feel is a good understanding of its stock performance in both tight terrain (city fighting) and open country. Over all it fights well enough, but as I stated in above posts is too slow for a heavy modern tank and the advantages of which to be exploited in battles. Thus I have moved forward with a motor upgrade from the stock Tamiya 27 turn to a Tamiya 23 turn.

Top end performance is improved slightly (scale top speed is now a solidly in the 40ish mph range), but the biggest improvement has been in low speed handling. The 27 turn motor had a bit too much torque for the overall weight of the tank, the 23 turn motor has less torque and thus makes slow crawling over all terrain types smoother as the throttle inputs are more forgiving. I feel the slightly enhanced speed and feel of throttle response should improve the overall battling experience with the Tamiya Abrams, but it might still need a bit more speed to truly be an outstanding heavy MBT especially in open country IR battling. For this I will look toward higher voltage which I did test already and was IMPRESSED, but one step at a time. I will for now be fighting the Tamiya Abrams with just the new 23 turn motor at 7.2 volts for the next few battles and building a baseline for its performance.

I have not yet added any forward hull weights to fix the imbalance between the front and rear of the tank or to address the "bouncing" caused by the overly heavy torsion bars. This will come in the next phase of enhancements.

Keeping simple with a new yet basic Tamiya 23 turn motor.

Motor installed.

Recent IR open country battle held in San Diego.

Last edited by Fsttanks; 06-25-2019 at 02:39 PM.
Old 06-25-2019, 12:14 PM
Pah co chu puk

Nice.

Interested in hearing more about your brief test of higher voltage too.
Old 06-25-2019, 02:15 PM
Fsttanks

Originally Posted by Pah co chu puk
Nice.

Interested in hearing more about your brief test of higher voltage too.
With the upper turret cover removed I placed an 8.4v NiMh 5000 pack loosely in the slot for the 7.2 pack. Powered it up and drove it around for about 20 minutes at a wide open throttle. This was done prior to swapping out motors in the above post. FAST would be an understatement. 55mph+ scale speeds. The issue is this higher speed coupled with the already stiff bouncy suspension made for a very poor cross country ride. To run the Abrams at 8.4volts or higher (for speed) will also require attention to tuning the suspension or adding a lot of added weight to compensate for the stiff torsion bar preloads. Otherwise the tank wants to get “air born” on every dip or small rock it hits.

Last edited by Fsttanks; 06-25-2019 at 03:33 PM.
Old 06-25-2019, 03:02 PM
fury69

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

interesting
Old 06-25-2019, 03:58 PM
Pah co chu puk

I've found that if you soften the middle road wheel springs, and keep the four at the outside corners stiff, the tank rides better off road. It has less of the skipping / bouncing action. I've done it by changing where the spring sits in its mount. Conversely, if you have a tank with mushy springs, try making the front and back two springs stiffer and leave the rest alone and see how it improves the ride.
Old 06-25-2019, 04:43 PM
Fsttanks

Originally Posted by Pah co chu puk
I've found that if you soften the middle road wheel springs, and keep the four at the outside corners stiff, the tank rides better off road. It has less of the skipping / bouncing action. I've done it by changing where the spring sits in its mount. Conversely, if you have a tank with mushy springs, try making the front and back two springs stiffer and leave the rest alone and see how it improves the ride.
Yes all good ideas. Tuning the suspension has many ways of accomplishing a given performance goal. I like my tanks well balanced (optimum speed, suspension performance and front to back weight distribution) for smooth operations in rough terrain at all speeds. To do this effectively takes the right mix and finding such is the fun part and what sets individual tanks apart from one another.

As the old gunfighter saying goes “Fast is smooth, smooth is fast”.
Old 06-25-2019, 06:19 PM
Pah co chu puk

That is the fun part. I agree with you.
Old 06-26-2019, 03:41 AM
heavyaslead

Received 36 Likes on 25 Posts

So what stock speed did you experience with the Tam Abrams?

My Leo stock was just at 44mph scale stock, which is about right for the actual governed turbine engine.

My Black Eagle was upgraded with a hotter drive motor like yours for better speed, as the Russian tanks seem to always be 'faster' than USA or German equivalents.

What is the part number for the LED you use?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.