Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

M551 Sheridan build videos

Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

M551 Sheridan build videos

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2019, 06:29 PM
fury69

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by pitstain
Did someone ask for part 6?

https://youtu.be/Jlqo-brdJ2g
nice....lol..
Old 07-20-2019, 10:23 PM
Tamiya Fan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Two hints for you. There is a piece for the search light hole. For the driver hatch, your right it needs more. I saw you had a King Hauler. I used the little black wrench that comes on the 5th wheel sprue or the one with tail light covers. (I have a bunch) It's used for the real small 2mm nuts. Found one that fit tighter, cut 1/8 - 1/4" off the back side and glued it with thin set to the bottom of pin holder. Squeezed it tight, let dry, and it turned out real tight. Will stay where ever you place it.So you were right that it needs a poly cap. Seems like it was planned but got forgotten as the pin is so long.

I also bought the new radio Finespec. First one as I ussually use Futaba and install the push buttons. I was wondering if you could show how to set that up? Have not looked into it yet myself.

Bummer it's coming to an end!

Last edited by Tamiya Fan; 07-20-2019 at 10:29 PM. Reason: an oops
Old 07-21-2019, 06:22 AM
pitstain

Received 70 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by fury69
nice....lol..
Thanks Fury!

Originally Posted by Tamiya Fan
Two hints for you. There is a piece for the search light hole. For the driver hatch, your right it needs more. I saw you had a King Hauler. I used the little black wrench that comes on the 5th wheel sprue or the one with tail light covers. (I have a bunch) It's used for the real small 2mm nuts. Found one that fit tighter, cut 1/8 - 1/4" off the back side and glued it with thin set to the bottom of pin holder. Squeezed it tight, let dry, and it turned out real tight. Will stay where ever you place it.So you were right that it needs a poly cap. Seems like it was planned but got forgotten as the pin is so long.

I also bought the new radio Finespec. First one as I ussually use Futaba and install the push buttons. I was wondering if you could show how to set that up? Have not looked into it yet myself.

Bummer it's coming to an end!
I will look into that, also I will do a finespec setup video because, why not.
I have more projects coming up!
Old 07-21-2019, 07:55 AM
tch2000

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Thanks Fury!

I will look into that, also I will do a finespec setup video because, why not.
I have more projects coming up!
will you do a paint and weathering video of this Sheridan?
Old 07-21-2019, 02:47 PM
pitstain

Originally Posted by tch2000

will you do a paint and weathering video of this Sheridan?
A very basic one, you can learn alot more from Andy's Hobby Headquarters or Night Shift than from me as I am just using what I learned watching them.
Old 07-22-2019, 06:53 AM
MAUS45

Received 38 Likes on 35 Posts

Wow, thanks for sharing the build videos. I just binge watched them. I was not sure if I would like the Sheridan, but is is a nice R/C kit. I would suggest painting the road wheels with krylon black paint the toe rubber portions will be black and last as krylon paint really bites into the plastic. Looking forward to seeing it painted!!!
Old 07-22-2019, 07:52 AM
pitstain

Thanks MAUS, I am looking forward to seeing it painted as well LOL, might get some progress made this week.

I add a few layers of clear on the rubber painted areas to armor them a bit, and I don't do much if any off roading but the Krylon sounds like a great tip for heavy use.

I was almost considering using plastidip to paint on the tires as that stuff is tough as nails.
Old 07-22-2019, 03:38 PM
fury69

Thanks MAUS, I am looking forward to seeing it painted as well LOL, might get some progress made this week.

I add a few layers of clear on the rubber painted areas to armor them a bit, and I don't do much if any off roading but the Krylon sounds like a great tip for heavy use.

I was almost considering using plastidip to paint on the tires as that stuff is tough as nails.
will there be a video #7?
Old 07-22-2019, 08:41 PM
Pcomm1.v2

Received 49 Likes on 36 Posts

Thank you for the Tamiya Sheridan video assembly briefs. They are a very positive modeling help for sure and I will absolutely pass on building this little RC Sheridan kit.

Old 07-22-2019, 08:48 PM
fury69

Originally Posted by Pcomm1.v2
Thank you for the Tamiya Sheridan video assembly briefs. They are a very positive modeling help for sure and I will absolutely pass on building this little RC Sheridan kit.

you not building your sheridan Pcomm?

im still going to get mine soon....
Old 07-22-2019, 08:49 PM
pitstain

will there be a video #7?
Part 7? yup!!

Old 07-22-2019, 08:50 PM
fury69

Smile

lol...love it ....i will look at it when i get off wk....
Old 07-22-2019, 09:42 PM
Pcomm1.v2

Default Sheridan

you not building your sheridan Pcomm?

im still going to get mine soon....
I let the AAF Museum know I did not want the kit.

Why and my subjective reasons for dropping the build:

Not that interesting an armored vehicle, do not like or appreciate US Cold War Armor, nor a fan of VN era subject matter modeling all that much; the kit is diminutive in an unimpressive way (as was my Tamiya RC Sherman and PZ 4J builds); and I am currently more into modern armor.

The Tamiya Sheridan kit looks good and the quality is there, just not interested in it after watching the videos.

Enjoy your build and post photos!
Old 07-23-2019, 06:23 PM
Tamiya Fan

Just watched #7. I agree with comment on AAf Tank Museum, they are the best in price, customer service, delivery time, etc... Natasha is the best!! I think buying from them helps the museum out also.

Any way I'll wait for #8 to happen. I'm glad you didn't loose the light cord piece. Have a good night!!

Last edited by Tamiya Fan; 07-23-2019 at 06:25 PM. Reason: An oops
Old 07-23-2019, 07:00 PM
pitstain

Part 8 is up! She's mostly painted!

Old 07-23-2019, 10:26 PM
tch2000

Part 8 is up! She's mostly painted!

https://youtu.be/F5d3gcgffZ8
damn. I am still on part 5.
lol.
Old 07-25-2019, 04:33 PM
Pcomm1.v2

Awesome fun Sheridan videos, nice build. Thanks for sharing the build work!
Old 07-25-2019, 09:10 PM
pitstain

Originally Posted by Pcomm1.v2
Awesome fun Sheridan videos, nice build. Thanks for sharing the build work!
Glad you enjoyed them, tomorrow or this weekend is part 9 of me trying plstidip to paint on tires!
Old 07-27-2019, 07:36 AM
RichJohnson

Received 374 Likes on 238 Posts

Plastidip is a bad idea. You can not paint it on It begins to harden immediately. I tried to paint it on tracks years ago. After hours of tedious work I drove the tank and it peeled rigth off the metal tracks. I would suggest, not trying it as you may damage the wheels. It also will not be on the wheel surface evenly so it you will be bumping up and down as they roll.

Just do the krylon black on the wheels and then paint the OD over it where needed.
If you are afraid of wear taking the black paint off, get large shrink tube at the electrical store and put it over the wheel and shrink and cut it to fit. Then you will have a small rubber surface to roll on that wont wear paint off.

Last edited by RichJohnson; 07-27-2019 at 07:38 AM.
Old 07-27-2019, 03:02 PM
pitstain

Originally Posted by RichJohnson
Plastidip is a bad idea. You can not paint it on It begins to harden immediately. I tried to paint it on tracks years ago. After hours of tedious work I drove the tank and it peeled rigth off the metal tracks. I would suggest, not trying it as you may damage the wheels. It also will not be on the wheel surface evenly so it you will be bumping up and down as they roll.

Just do the krylon black on the wheels and then paint the OD over it where needed.
If you are afraid of wear taking the black paint off, get large shrink tube at the electrical store and put it over the wheel and shrink and cut it to fit. Then you will have a small rubber surface to roll on that wont wear paint off.
I 100% agree now, I cut 7 minutes of the beginning of my latest video cause the plasti-dip was a disaster, and it was shiny, and it peeled! yup all done with that idea.

I am just using Tamiya Rubber Black as I like how it looks.
Old 07-27-2019, 03:41 PM
pitstain

PART 9 is up, starts part way in as I dropped the footage with my failed attempt to test the plasti-dip...ugh

Old 07-27-2019, 05:15 PM
Tamiya Fan

Ian - I feel your pain on the "HARD CORE 7", very stress full. I hate water slides also. The back stowage rack is only glued on top or bottom, I forget which, but says in the instructions. I found that weird to and have not installed that yet,

Any way enjoy the vids!
Old 07-27-2019, 07:17 PM
Tanque

Received 95 Likes on 82 Posts

If one of you guys want to try making a tire mold for heat vulcanizing rubber, unless you've got a viable 3D printer option I'll send you some raw
rubber to use. Aluminum is easiest but anything that will hold up to 350 deg F. Loose fitting tires will be best for this rubber, since it doesn't have
an anti-ozonant would be best. Anti-ozonant are the compounds that aid resistance to ozone and tires made to be stretched without such a compound
will suffer cracks and failure.

Jerry

Last edited by Tanque; 07-27-2019 at 09:15 PM.
Old 07-27-2019, 11:01 PM
tch2000

The vids are awesome. Can’t wait to get my kit. As I will have a great vids to look back on.
Congrats on your leo2a6. Great n complex kit. Fiber optics suck but oh well. Lol
Old 07-28-2019, 08:16 AM
pitstain

Originally Posted by Tamiya Fan
Ian - I feel your pain on the "HARD CORE 7", very stress full. I hate water slides also. The back stowage rack is only glued on top or bottom, I forget which, but says in the instructions. I found that weird to and have not installed that yet,

Any way enjoy the vids!
I messed up on the stowage rack, its only glued on top like you said, i looked back in the manual and see where I didn't read, all in the name of YouTube video-ing!!!

Originally Posted by Tanque
If one of you guys want to try making a tire mold for heat vulcanizing rubber, unless you've got a viable 3D printer option I'll send you some raw
rubber to use. Aluminum is easiest but anything that will hold up to 350 deg F. Loose fitting tires will be best for this rubber, since it doesn't have
an anti-ozonant would be best. Anti-ozonant are the compounds that aid resistance to ozone and tires made to be stretched without such a compound
will suffer cracks and failure.

Jerry
Whoa Jerry, little advanced for me, but a great idea, I just do not have the bandwidth for that at the moment, but thank you!

Originally Posted by tch2000
The vids are awesome. Can’t wait to get my kit. As I will have a great vids to look back on.
Congrats on your leo2a6. Great n complex kit. Fiber optics suck but oh well. Lol
Thanks man, and not looking forward to the 2 yards of fiber optics....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.