Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

WWII Jeep RC Conversion? - of interest to tankers

Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

WWII Jeep RC Conversion? - of interest to tankers

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2012, 01:12 PM
rampa203

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default WWII Jeep RC Conversion? - of interest to tankers

While its not a tank this might still be interesting to tankers.

Anyone here done an RC conversion of an american WWII Jeep? There is an excellent youtube video here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iIF-PRIeIMYof a GI Joe Jeep, but I don't know the scale. I would like to try to convert the 1/16 Danbury Mint jeep:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/WWII-JEEP-DA...item43add16816 .

I've seen posts from peoplewanting to do the same thing,butnothing that shows an actual converted Danbury jeep.

I bought a 1/16 4WD RC Buggy for this purpose, butit was too wideand I think it would be too hard to narrow. Also its way way too fast, but there are some slower motors I've got an eye on.

Also I know about the Tamiya Kubelwagen and it would be fun to have, but I'd rather not go through the hassle (or maybeits fun?)of converting the static model when there is a real RC version available (They are both discontinued but I've seen them on ebay.) The RC kit is more money than I would want to pay for what would be a tank accessory.

Any input would be appreciated.

Russ
Old 03-08-2012, 01:27 PM
Panther F

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts
Default RE: WWII Jeep RC Conversion? - of interest to tankers

I have the Danbury Jeep. Solid metal through and through and tiny too.

Now the 1/18th 21st Century Dodge (forget what it's called at the moment) has more potential. Maybe someday on that possibility.

~ Jeff
Old 03-08-2012, 01:50 PM
rampa203

Is your's 1/16 scale? I think Danbury Mint made some smaller scale jeeps also. And when you say "solid metal through and through" do you mean that there would be no room for RC components? I was thinking of cutting the body and wheels off, and placing them on an rc vehicle chasis, probably modified to fit the dimensions of the jeep. Do you think that's not possible?

Thanks,

Russ

ORIGINAL: Panther F

I have the Danbury Jeep. Solid metal through and through and tiny too.

Now the 1/18th 21st Century Dodge (forget what it's called at the moment) has more potential. Maybe someday on that possibility.

~ Jeff
Old 03-08-2012, 01:55 PM
Panther F

I never said it was impossible, just that the whole thing is solid metal, the springs, shocks, axles. The wheels roll and the steering moves side to side.

I'm sure if you did a lot of work it's possible, just maybe not practical.

And yes, mine is 1/16th scale. And mint too.

~ Jeff
Old 03-08-2012, 02:00 PM
rampa203

"And yes, mine is 1/16th scale. And mint too."

Want to sell it?
Old 03-08-2012, 02:09 PM
Rex Ross

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I agree with Jeff.

Rex
Old 03-08-2012, 02:32 PM
Panther F

ORIGINAL: rampa203

''And yes, mine is 1/16th scale. And mint too.''

Want to sell it?
Umm, no. But there were a few on eBay.

~ Jeff
Old 03-08-2012, 03:42 PM
Captain Action

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The RC GI Joe jeeps (on Utube) are 1/6 , I have done a few, to go with my 1/6 stuart.
I will be doing a 1/16 cheap SOTW jeep in to R/C, using a small R/C car, toy.
The SOTW jeep is light and has more roon in the front for the R/C car assembly.
It might be fast but it has a good speed control to slow it down, also it will have to be fast at times becouse Glen will try and run it over with his KT.[]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ca82035.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	122.5 KB
ID:	1736434   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dz81107.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	73.1 KB
ID:	1736435   Click image for larger version

Name:	Va73443.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	91.4 KB
ID:	1736436  
Old 03-08-2012, 04:07 PM
Rebellion13

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

Use a motor that are used on rc crawler trucks, slow and tons of torque.

Cheers,
Wade
Old 03-08-2012, 04:10 PM
Panther F

ORIGINAL: Captain Action

I have done a few, to go with my 1/6 stuart.
I will too. Just trying to get all my 1/16 vehicles lined up. Was going to RC my 1/6 Kubel and Ketten but since I only have Allied tanks in 1/6 I passed. Don't have room for a 1/6 Tiger! [X(]

Come on 1/6 JEEP!

~ Jeff
Old 03-08-2012, 04:14 PM
rampa203

What is SOTW? I'm interested -althoughI dolikethe idea of a metal jeep to go with the metal Mato, even if theywere on opposite sidesin the war.

Thanks,

Russ

The RC GI Joe jeeps (on Utube) are 1/6 , I have done a few, to go with my 1/6 stuart.
I will be doing a 1/16 cheap SOTW jeep in to R/C, using a small R/C car, toy.
The SOTW jeep is light and has more roon in the front for the R/C car assembly.
It might be fast but it has a good speed control to slow it down, also it will have to be fast at times becouse Glen will try and run it over with his KT.[]
Old 03-08-2012, 08:42 PM
Captain Action

SOTW = oops = World Peackeeper's , it is a line of army toys and that is where the jeep comes from.
I believe BIG LOTS sores carrys them in the US.

As for 1/6 jeeps, I have tryed a lot of set up's and the crawler motor with a gear head , work's vary well.
My next R/C 1/6 project is a White, Scout Car and I will be using a pitman geared motor, at 12 volts.
lots of tork and well made.
My friends set up for his Kupawagon is a geared rear drive from a R/C car, works fine .
Old 03-09-2012, 07:28 PM
rampa203

I picked up the set with the trailer and motorcycle, although its not really a WWII jeep, it was pretty cheap so who cares. There are some jeeps and Kubelwagens by Ultimate Soldier and Gate on ebay right now also.

I'm shooting for 4WD on the conversion, but I may not be able to do it. We'll see.

Anyway, thanks for the help.

Russ

SOTW = oops = World Peackeeper's , it is a line of army toys and that is where the jeep comes from.
I believe BIG LOTS sores carrys them in the US.

As for 1/6 jeeps, I have tryed a lot of set up's and the crawler motor with a gear head , work's vary well.
My next R/C 1/6 project is a White, Scout Car and I will be using a pitman geared motor, at 12 volts.
lots of tork and well made.
My friends set up for his Kupawagon is a geared rear drive from a R/C car, works fine .
Old 03-15-2012, 02:01 PM
rampa203

I just got a Danbury Mint WWII Jeep off ebay, and you guys were right, seems too hard to RC. Plus its a little too nice (and too expensive) to cut up in an RC conversion. I did also get a World Peacekeepers jeep. and it seems a little too cheap to bother with. I have a Gate Jeep coming and also a 21st Century Kubelwagen.

I was going to use a Losi 1/24 4WD micro rallyas a donor, but there are a few problems. The width is just about perfect, but the wheelbase is a little too short. I don't know if I can successfully lengthen the drive shaft. Also it is way too fast, but I plan to try some different motors. Actually I hate to cut it up, but I do want a jeep more than a rally car.

Russ
Old 03-15-2012, 03:19 PM
Panther F

I just got a Danbury Mint WWII Jeep off ebay, and you guys were right, seems too hard to RC.
Russ
So why do you guys come on here with your questions, then doubt us? HUH? []

I'm gonna say it ... "TOLD YA SO" And it's not "you guys were right".

I WAS RIGHT!

~ Jeff
Old 03-15-2012, 03:39 PM
AFV432

I just got a Danbury Mint WWII Jeep off ebay, and you guys were right, seems too hard to RC. Plus its a little too nice (and too expensive) to cut up in an RC conversion. I did also get a World Peacekeepers jeep. and it seems a little too cheap to bother with. I have a Gate Jeep coming and also a 21st Century Kubelwagen.

I was going to use a Losi 1/24 4WD micro rallyas a donor, but there are a few problems. The width is just about perfect, but the wheelbase is a little too short. I don't know if I can successfully lengthen the drive shaft. Also it is way too fast, but I plan to try some different motors. Actually I hate to cut it up, but I do want a jeep more than a rally car.

Russ
ive made a whole new chassis for my chevy quad truck so a jeep would only be smaller

the leaf springs fabbed up from some steel banding and all the seperate leafs were heat shrinked together

a jeep shouldnt be too hard its the wheels that are the pain and the rear axle

Old 03-15-2012, 04:29 PM
rampa203

Jeff - you were right, but I like the jeep anyway.

AFV432 - nice work, I don't have that much talent. I can't build from scratch. I'm hoping to Micky Mouse something between a few different models.

Russ
Old 03-15-2012, 04:43 PM
AFV432

before i looked at loads of different models like the losi mini series and they are close
the prop shaft wouldnt be hard to fix

thanks for the praise
Old 03-30-2012, 02:26 PM
rampa203

I haven't made much progress outside of acquiring models to modify.

I removed the brushless motor from the Losi Micro Rally and replaced it with a stock brushed motor. Unfortunately it is still too fast. I have been waiting on a slower brushless motor (4200 Kv) from hobbyking which has been out of stock for quite some time. (They are out of stock on almost all motors now, I think due to flooding in China.)

I modified some jeep wheels to fit the 4WD Losi. I used stock Losi wheels cut down and then epoxied to the inside of the jeep wheels. The epoxy is Permatex Plastic Weld, and it seems strong enough. Some test drives were fine. I intend to grind down some of the excess epoxy and paint the wheels to match whatever color I need.

I was going to use a 21 Century 1/18 kubelwagen for the body, but there are some problems. I know the kubel is not 4WD, but I can live with that. The main problem now is that the Losi is too wide and too short. I think I know how to lengthen the wheelbase, but the width seems like it would be too difficult to modify. I just ordered a Tamiya 1/16 kubelwagen static model, which hopefully will be a little wider, but probably not enough. Maybe I won't be able to use the Losi as the base. Or maybe I'll make a fantasy wide-track 4WD kubelwagen

Russ

Name:	Bz78071.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	351.0 KB
ID:	1744704   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cx74819.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	191.5 KB
ID:	1744705   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gl19385.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	298.9 KB
ID:	1744706   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bu58719.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	353.7 KB
ID:	1744707   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yj65303.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	605.5 KB
ID:	1744708   Click image for larger version

Name:	Of59571.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	561.8 KB
ID:	1744709  
Old 03-30-2012, 03:50 PM
rzingsheim
My Feedback: (4)

Just bought a 1/6th scale Hasbro (newer model) GI Joe jeep off e-bay. I'm intending to convert it to RC so I can drive it around in the pits at Warbirds rc fly in events and other places. I'm not intending to do any serious rock crawling but I would like it to have a suspension and the over all look to be reasonably scale. Can I modify some existing chassis or would i have to do it from scratch. Any info would be appreciated. If any of you guys has something that would work for sale I might also be interested. I know alot about RC airplanes but next to nothing about ground vehicles. Thanks in advance.
Roy
Old 03-31-2012, 04:55 AM
Airbrushler

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

ORIGINAL: AFV432

Russ
ive made a whole new chassis for my chevy quad truck so a jeep would only be smaller

the leaf springs fabbed up from some steel banding and all the seperate leafs were heat shrinked together

a jeep shouldnt be too hard its the wheels that are the pain and the rear axle

Great job on that frame work very cool
Old 03-31-2012, 07:48 AM
Rex Ross

I was going to use a Losi 1/24 4WD micro rally as a donor, but there are a few problems. The width is just about perfect, but the wheelbase is a little too short. I don't know if I can successfully lengthen the drive shaft. Also it is way too fast, but I plan to try some different motors. Actually I hate to cut it up, but I do want a jeep more than a rally car.

Russ
~~~~~~~~~~

Russ.................
I have been thinking about your ideas on this and have started to investigate the Losi cars that you are using. I may get one just to see if something can be done with the warp speed that those things travel at. There has got to be a way to tame those little goodies. I think I will start with their 2WD "Smash Monster" to see if that would work somehow. It has small dimensions......I favor making something bigger over trying to make it smaller. The price ain't bad either. That's a consideration since I didn't win the Lottery. So, I have to do some more researching before I commit to this. Does anyone out there have ideas on how to slow down a speeding bullet?
Rex
Old 03-31-2012, 10:05 AM
rampa203

Hi Rex - in that earlier post I thought the width of the Losi would be ok, but once I got some wheels on it was clear that it was too wide. as I said above. It is 1/24 scale which is Losi's smallest 4WD, actually smallest 4WD of any brand I think.

Anyway, regarding the speed I've had a few ideas:

1) My Losi came with a brushless motor that was way too fast. It has a speed rating of about 8750 Kv ( that's going to be about 40,000 rpm at 4.8V NiMH battery.) Hobbyking sells a 12mm brushless motor that is 4200 Kv, so just under half the speed. That was one idea, but unfortunmately that motor has been out of stock for a long time.

2) Use the stock Losi brushed motor - it is slower than brushless but probably still too fast. I have that motor in the Losi right now

3) Use a 12mm gear motor like the ones at Pololu http://www.pololu.com/catalog/category/60. Problem is that these are probably too slow. The fastest is 6000 rpm at 6V, so that is 4,800 rpm at 4.8V approximately, which is only 12% of the brushless speed - maybe too slow, but I haven't ruled this out yet. I don't know if these tiny motors have enough power with only a 5:1 gear reduction.

4) Use the gears from the Pololu motor on a brushless motor. I tried this with a 5:1 reduction gearbox - see pictures. This involved reaming out a couple of gears and making an adapter plate. Initially it seemed like it was going to work, but once I got it mounted in the car I noticed some slipping of the gears, and I got frustrated an gave up. The gears in the reduction unit have microscopic teeth and I think I am not a good enough machinist to make this work perfectly. Someone else might be able to do it.

That's where I'm at now.

Russ

Name:	Fd91333.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	321.2 KB
ID:	1745009   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gb88344.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	318.0 KB
ID:	1745010   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kp34757.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	343.3 KB
ID:	1745011   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pi16423.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	370.3 KB
ID:	1745012   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ny28087.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	355.5 KB
ID:	1745013   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ul78705.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	343.2 KB
ID:	1745014  
Old 03-31-2012, 01:57 PM
Rex Ross

Russ.....
Thanks for the update and the photos. I really want to do some armored cars and was looking for something that would magically meet all of the specs for a decent model. The 1/16 scale body dimensions are all over the place........a Dingo is about the smallest and a Boarhound is huge, almost a skateboard. Finding stuff that will fit and run at a decent scale speed is what I want. 4WD and a spring loaded suspension with those tiny hydraulic shock absorbers would be nice, but not necessary. I just got a box of various Tamiya geartrains to fool with, so all I need is a few more HL circuit boards for the R/C part. I plan to steal the steering system that Count Chocula is using on his Rolls Royce armored car........excuse me if yer British........I meant armoured car........ (some day I should learn to speak English more gooder).
Rex
Old 03-31-2012, 03:30 PM
tapkoote

Have you fellows looked into rock crawler trucks?
http://www.rcrockcrawling.com/index.php?cPath=47
kind of spendy.
tap

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.