Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

Tamiya Leopard 2A6 build videos

Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Tamiya Leopard 2A6 build videos

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2019, 05:27 PM
pitstain

Received 70 Likes on 48 Posts

Part 6, fiber optics suck!!

Old 08-20-2019, 08:43 PM
dingobattler

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Inspired by Pah Co, when you do the turret, to prevent turret sag, cut a hole into the back of the top hull, and add a shim to make it align. You'll cover the hole in the back when you add on the plate for the rear track stoppers, so you can go full out on cutting the slot. Just make sure that the lower bit on the top is thick enough to support holding the lower sag up.

What I did was to cut off 2 Tamiya tabs (to dive the shim some height, and make sure the top half has enough material to support the shim), file one of them flat on both sides to maximise contact surface, and flat on one side of the second. Stick the first tab flush, but with the second tab sticking out. reinforce the shim with putty. Then I cut a tab into the top half by drilling about 20 or so holes pre-measured in a straight line, and cutting out the material in the middle. Cut slightly higher, as you can always file down if the shim is too high, but you cannot add on material to make it higher. After that, once you glue on the rear plate, the cut out bit is completely covered, so its fine.

Much better to do this before you glue on the rear plate.

Pictures here, as its hard to describe.

[img]Click image for larger version

Name:	obfA6Hj.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	183.5 KB
ID:	2265109[/img]
Click image for larger version

Name:	xxcrlIV.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	269.5 KB
ID:	2265107
Click image for larger version

Name:	cgfbNGD.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	133.6 KB
ID:	2265108

Last edited by dingobattler; 08-20-2019 at 08:50 PM.
Old 08-20-2019, 09:27 PM
dingobattler

Also, with regards to your broken FO, what I would do is to strip it out. Check the back of the top plate - the reason it flexes so much is the fiber optic goes almost 90 degrees up. Screw their 90 degrees up, and drill a hole through the damn thing, such that it goes straight out. Instead, flex it 90 degrees to the side. That'll fix that issue, without the FO pushing out against the tail lights.

FO is not expensive online, and you can buy heaps for next to nothing on ebay.

If you can't be stuffed changing it, you can test by connecting the DMD and seeing if it works.

How do you do tanks so quickly? I've only just started painting the turret, and I started 3 months ago, while working religiously on it every night, and almost every single weekend.
Old 08-20-2019, 10:13 PM
Tamiya Fan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ion, There is a right up on one of the forums (maybe here) where you make shim. I think I might of made 2 to get the right thickness I was comfortable with because you'll see it is really close to rubbing in the rear and gets worse with the battery installed. No cutting of the tank, just make a shim or two with the notches which lock it in place so no spin slip. Shim made out of styrene. It's much cleaner and easier to do. Run a search for turret clearance issue of leopard. I used a compass cutter to cut a nice circle. It is in the right up. It's been many years since I built mine so don't remember what site.

Didn't have time to watch video yet, so I hope this is all relevant. There is just an easier way.
Old 08-21-2019, 10:05 AM
pitstain

Dingo,

That's my plan to make the tab and slot like you show.
I'll connect the DMD and see if it lights up and if not will try your idea on the fiber optic.
I guess I just work kinda fast because I am filming for YouTube, and have a very understanding wife.

Tamiya Fan,

Thanks for the tip, I am aware of making ring shims for under the turret but that alone does not stop the physical sag of the lower turret so I want to nip that in the bud with the slot and tab method.
Old 08-22-2019, 07:12 AM
pitstain

So I drilled out and replaced the broken fiber, all good there.

then while preparing to paint the lower..."Houston we have a problem!"

REALLY crooked idler wheels!!

Turns out the Tamiya stock ABS lower has a bit of an inward slope where the idler arms attach but the King Kong is dead straight up and down, so the Schumo as well as Stock (to a slightly lesser extent) Idler arms are expecting that slope end up being super off kilter once tightened down. I just ordered the Henntec idler system from Robert at ETOArmor as that system will keep the idler wheels level since it is a straight tube running side to side, I will grind down or fill in as needed for final cosmetic satisfaction.

did the best I could with pictures.

Old 08-23-2019, 04:02 AM
pitstain

Part 7 showing the issues with the King Kong chassis. they are also being quite problematic to deal with on ebay.

Old 08-23-2019, 09:00 AM
sevoblast

Received 54 Likes on 40 Posts

I thank you for your compliments on our service. I couldn't do it without Daryl, our resident genius, and my charming bride, it's their fault as much if not more so than mine.
Old 08-23-2019, 11:06 AM
pitstain

Originally Posted by sevoblast
I thank you for your compliments on our service. I couldn't do it without Daryl, our resident genius, and my charming bride, it's their fault as much if not more so than mine.
No thanks needed you guys earn them every day!
Old 08-25-2019, 06:29 PM
pitstain

Part 8 !

Turret sag mod done!

Old 08-26-2019, 11:31 AM
heavyaslead

Received 36 Likes on 25 Posts

So why are you not using the stock Tamiya lower hull?
Old 08-26-2019, 11:51 AM
pitstain

This cast hull is cool and I am a glutton for punishment, and the fact I didn't detect all the problems until I was well into the build and have a strong feeling King Kong RC would be a nightmare to get a refund from.

Once I have the Henntec idler on there it will be perfect and the other benefits of more realism and toughness.
Old 08-26-2019, 03:26 PM
Fsttanks

Received 251 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by pitstain
This cast hull is cool and I am a glutton for punishment, and the fact I didn't detect all the problems until I was well into the build and have a strong feeling King Kong RC would be a nightmare to get a refund from.

Once I have the Henntec idler on there it will be perfect and the other benefits of more realism and toughness.
Not to bash on Henntec idlers, they have their place where they work well. But IMHO they are overrated on "built up" modern tanks and can cause more issues then they tend to solve.

I tested two Henntec idlers on two different HL Abrams builds. Both heavy, with equal power to your Leopard 2 and running metal/rubber padded tracks. One thing is for sure the Henntec are not as tough as I expect especially as weight, power curves and track grip go up (rubber padded tracks+higher overall weights=a lot of ground friction and thus far more force being applied to the idler). Henntec tend to slip and loose tension (flat end on screw against a round shaft) unless you add a flat spot to the idler shaft for the locking screw to tighten against. But in doing so you will render the Henntec all but useless for future tightening/tensioning as the track "stretches".

From what I have seen here in your videos and photos there is no reason to run the Henntec from a reliable track functioning point of view. I have several "modern" tanks my Tamiya Abrams being one, that I run REALLY HARD with idlers that look "angled" such as yours and none have any issues. I suggest to wait on installing the Henntec until you see if the angle causes issues under your running conditions. Now I understand if the angle bothers you cosmetically, then you have to follow your heart to make it look the way you desire.
Old 08-26-2019, 05:29 PM
dingobattler

Upgrades are a matter of preference, but personally, I would not do it for Tamiyas, given how much they already cost, and this is excluding radio, battery, paint, etc.

Reading online, pretty much, all the Tamiyas, bar the King Tiger, pretty much runs optimally on stock, and they have a reputation for high quality too. They have very few issues, which is impressive, given both the size, the number of moving parts, and the age of many of the kits.

My worry with upgrading Tamiyas is that they're usually pretty well tested for QC, and everything fits in a certain way. If you add too much metal parts, it increases the weight, which might require stronger motor, which might necessitate a metal gearbox, which might need to be modified to get the correct speed, and will drain the battery quicker, etc. etc. Plus, most of the sizes of parts are either measured fromt he actual tank itself IRL, or have a lot of research done behind them, and made in a certain way, with very strict tolerances, so you get issues like the idler wheel one here if you go 3rd party.

If its modifying a HL tanks, I'm all for it, as they usually much cheaper, much simpler, dimensions are more of an estimate, and the OEM builds official metal upgrades for the tanks.

Last edited by dingobattler; 08-26-2019 at 05:38 PM.
Old 08-27-2019, 05:59 AM
heavyaslead

Received 36 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by dingobattler
Upgrades are a matter of preference, but personally, I would not do it for Tamiyas, given how much they already cost, and this is excluding radio, battery, paint, etc.

Reading online, pretty much, all the Tamiyas, bar the King Tiger, pretty much runs optimally on stock, and they have a reputation for high quality too. They have very few issues, which is impressive, given both the size, the number of moving parts, and the age of many of the kits.

My worry with upgrading Tamiyas is that they're usually pretty well tested for QC, and everything fits in a certain way. If you add too much metal parts, it increases the weight, which might require stronger motor, which might necessitate a metal gearbox, which might need to be modified to get the correct speed, and will drain the battery quicker, etc. etc. Plus, most of the sizes of parts are either measured fromt he actual tank itself IRL, or have a lot of research done behind them, and made in a certain way, with very strict tolerances, so you get issues like the idler wheel one here if you go 3rd party.

If its modifying a HL tanks, I'm all for it, as they usually much cheaper, much simpler, dimensions are more of an estimate, and the OEM builds official metal upgrades for the tanks.
It is a slippery slope... when you start adding all kinds of metal upgrades that the model engineers did not fathom in the kit design

We all scrutinize Tamiya pretty well because they make the best stuff, that's really a compliment!

All my Tamiya reviews are really nit-pick items, whereby if I did more reviews of other brands... well usually end up reinventing the wheel to put it nicely
Old 08-27-2019, 06:45 AM
pitstain

Originally Posted by Fsttanks
Not to bash on Henntec idlers, they have their place where they work well. But IMHO they are overrated on "built up" modern tanks and can cause more issues then they tend to solve.

I tested two Henntec idlers on two different HL Abrams builds. Both heavy, with equal power to your Leopard 2 and running metal/rubber padded tracks. One thing is for sure the Henntec are not as tough as I expect especially as weight, power curves and track grip go up (rubber padded tracks+higher overall weights=a lot of ground friction and thus far more force being applied to the idler). Henntec tend to slip and loose tension (flat end on screw against a round shaft) unless you add a flat spot to the idler shaft for the locking screw to tighten against. But in doing so you will render the Henntec all but useless for future tightening/tensioning as the track "stretches".

From what I have seen here in your videos and photos there is no reason to run the Henntec from a reliable track functioning point of view. I have several "modern" tanks my Tamiya Abrams being one, that I run REALLY HARD with idlers that look "angled" such as yours and none have any issues. I suggest to wait on installing the Henntec until you see if the angle causes issues under your running conditions. Now I understand if the angle bothers you cosmetically, then you have to follow your heart to make it look the way you desire.
I respect how hard you run your tanks, and value all of your findings, I see what you are saying about the Henntec setup but in my case I will not be running this all that much, and IMO the angle is more than a cosmetic issue, having that extra stress on the bearings and tracks WILL cause a failure, again maybe not with the amount I drive my tanks but for some poor person who built and left the angle, just wait till they see their first blown out bearing or broken track.

I agree Tamiya QC and design is the best in the industry, however the 2A6 seems to have been designed and built as if it was more to meet a deadline and level of visual detail rather than meet the engineers full desire, hence the totally abnormal use ABS swing arms and POM torsion spring holders and non-reinforced chassis tub. again the Aluminum parts replacing the plastic ones are not actually much heavier, and a lot of people also add lead weight to their hulls to achieve more realistic suspension function etc.

Originally Posted by heavyaslead
It is a slippery slope... when you start adding all kinds of metal upgrades that the model engineers did not fathom in the kit design

We all scrutinize Tamiya pretty well because they make the best stuff, that's really a compliment!

All my Tamiya reviews are really nit-pick items, whereby if I did more reviews of other brands... well usually end up reinventing the wheel to put it nicely
see above reply, not much extra weight, run time is unimportant to me, and I only add aftermarket parts when I see a major need to like the metal/rubber tracks on my Type 10. all my other Tamiya tanks are 99% bone stock builds with the only aftermarket being ball bearings and stowage.
Old 08-27-2019, 03:20 PM
dingobattler

Originally Posted by pitstain
I agree Tamiya QC and design is the best in the industry, however the 2A6 seems to have been designed and built as if it was more to meet a deadline and level of visual detail rather than meet the engineers full desire, hence the totally abnormal use ABS swing arms and POM torsion spring holders and non-reinforced chassis tub. again the Aluminum parts replacing the plastic ones are not actually much heavier, and a lot of people also add lead weight to their hulls to achieve more realistic suspension function etc.
I don't know what Tamiya's engineers really wanted, but most of the issues I see and read with RC tanks are thrown tracks from improper measurement and alignment of tracks, sprocket and wheel alignment. The fact that thrown tracks are practically unheard of in the 2A6 model says a lot about the level of care that went into it, as compared to say, the King Tiger, which was released just before the 2A6, and seems notorious for throwing and breaking tracks..

Also, don't really see issues with a plastic hull and swing arms. Haven't seen anyone online complaining about them breaking. Throwing tracks, followed by broken tracks, loose tracks and suspension softness over time seem to be the #1 issue people generally have with tanks.

From 2006 to 2014, the 2A6 has been known as the flagship model for their RC tank line, till the Type 10 that got released, and reading most type 10 reviews compare it very unfavorably against the 2A6, despite the metal hull.

I'd say, the worst things about the 2A6 are the turret sag, the lack of space in the turret and fibre optics on the tail lights.

Last edited by dingobattler; 08-27-2019 at 03:23 PM.
Old 08-28-2019, 05:52 PM
pitstain

I don't know what Tamiya's engineers really wanted, but most of the issues I see and read with RC tanks are thrown tracks from improper measurement and alignment of tracks, sprocket and wheel alignment. The fact that thrown tracks are practically unheard of in the 2A6 model says a lot about the level of care that went into it, as compared to say, the King Tiger, which was released just before the 2A6, and seems notorious for throwing and breaking tracks..

Also, don't really see issues with a plastic hull and swing arms. Haven't seen anyone online complaining about them breaking. Throwing tracks, followed by broken tracks, loose tracks and suspension softness over time seem to be the #1 issue people generally have with tanks.

From 2006 to 2014, the 2A6 has been known as the flagship model for their RC tank line, till the Type 10 that got released, and reading most type 10 reviews compare it very unfavorably against the 2A6, despite the metal hull.

I'd say, the worst things about the 2A6 are the turret sag, the lack of space in the turret and fibre optics on the tail lights.
I don't totally Agree with you here, the Type 10 has metal where it should be, and I am quite happy with mine, the 2A6 is built like a 1997-2003 Ford F-150, the frame and suspension flexed so much in total that it seemed to be a reliable and solid truck, but once you really dug deep (as I did when prepping my 2002 F-150 Lightning for road course driving) I found MANY SINS hidden by loose tolerances and weak parts bolted to other weak parts so it ended up like drunken monkey kung fu, Jackie Chan was so flexible and floppy he was never broken, but if he stood firm for one hit would have ended up in the emergency room awaiting an MRI and CT scan.

Either way, I am having fun building this and some of the troubles I am going through is valuable info for others who may go a similar route.
Old 08-28-2019, 06:20 PM
pitstain

Part 9!

Old 09-08-2019, 05:39 PM
pitstain

Part 10 is up! sorry for the delay!

Old 09-11-2019, 06:22 AM
pitstain

Part 11, we reached the end of the manual!

Old 09-12-2019, 06:41 AM
Pcomm1.v2

Received 49 Likes on 36 Posts

Fun! Enjoyable report videos.
Old 09-12-2019, 07:27 AM
pitstain

Thanks!
Old 09-15-2019, 06:12 PM
pitstain

Part 12 PAINT !!

Old 09-15-2019, 07:03 PM
Pah co chu puk

Received 143 Likes on 93 Posts

Nice movies, well done build. It's a great tank to drive and battle with.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.