RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Hooben Elefant idea

Old 08-13-2019, 06:31 AM
1qaz

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Hooben Elefant idea

I am currently building a Hooben Elefant and did not like the way Hooben designed the front wheel tread tension set-up. To me It looks like the model is just relying on the friction of the nut & washer where the slot is to maintain the tread tension. This looks like it will slip and the treads will be loose along with it being a real pain to get back into the model to try and tighten the nut again.
I came up with a simple bell-crank that pivots around the fixed bolt and maintains the adjuster bolt wherever you want it. Another improvement is that you can adjust the tread tension from the bottom of the model by simply turning the 4-40 adjuster rod. A nut that is silver soldered to a angle is held in place with a pop rivet which allows it to pivot as the bell-crank moves up and down. I used some .080 brass sheet to cut the parts from and the 4-40 all thread is model airplane stuff, easy to make and I think it will make the tread tension stay put along with being easy to adjust if needed.
Maybe someone has already come up with a fix like this but just in case I thought there might be a Hooben owner out there that would benefit from this simple fix.
Note: the nuts are not tight in the photo, they will just be snugged down to the point that the wheel assembly can slip just a bit.
Larry B

Last edited by 1qaz; 08-13-2019 at 06:35 AM.
Old 08-13-2019, 06:59 AM
Pah co chu puk

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Nice engineering.
Old 08-13-2019, 09:05 AM
MAUS45

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Wow, I have the same kit and was looking to upgrade this as well. Thanks for sharing as I am all about not reinventing the wheel.
Old 08-13-2019, 10:23 AM
heavyaslead

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Yes I did this same for my King Tiger some years ago since the Tamiya 'brake drum' style slips.

Create exciting Web pages - http://www.mcwebsoftware.com

Last edited by heavyaslead; 08-13-2019 at 10:27 AM.