RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Lighting controls

Old 09-21-2019, 07:48 PM
Tanque

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Lighting controls

Working on military trucks as I've been the question of how to control the various lights comes to mind.
I've seen systems on banggood and ebay that allow control and coupling of turn signals to steering servos,
ESCs (backup lights) head lights, side marker lights and what not. I believe I already have one or two package systems for my
Capo and Cross machines but I'm looking just for a generic control system that will work via a spare channel for whatever
lights I want to control, as independently as possible..I also have regular on/off switches to use with whatever single
device to be controlled but I'd like a more flexible device. Not certain I made myself clear here but hopefully you get the idea.

Suggestions?

Jerry
Old 09-21-2019, 10:06 PM
Rad_Schuhart

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Benedini micro or the dasmikro clone. A coin sized board that lets you trigger up to
9 fully configureable lights (machine guns, brake lights, headlights, blinkers, muzzle flash) using only one channel. Also plays sounds.

A decent programable radio is needed.
Old 09-22-2019, 06:01 AM
Panther F

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Here's a 4 channel: https://store.rc4wd.com/RC4WD-4-Chan...er_p_5671.html
Old 09-22-2019, 07:41 AM
Crius

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I took a good look at that one and it's interesting, but it's out of stock (small problem) and it doesn't look like it's controlled from the TX, but has a separate fob to control it. That might get to be a bit much, kinda like running two radios at once. So while you're on the right track, Jeff, I think we should keep looking. For just head and tail lights Paco and I just run a separate switch under the truck and run the lights off RX power. The T-34 metal headlights run well with two in series, and I picked up red LEDs that work well in parallel.

For you, Jerry, you should check out the TBS or its clone, since I think you have the radio skills to make it work. Rad is a wiz with those things and seems to be a natural with them so he can't seem to understand why some of just don't get it. That's not an insult, Rad, you're just a long way ahead of me in this stuff and what you make look so easy just ties my brain in knots.

Until now I've been scared to look at the Tamiya systems because to me one of the main points of these trucks is their affordability, and I just know if it says Tamiya it's gonna cost a pretty penny.
Old 09-22-2019, 08:13 AM
Crius

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I was looking at this for a couple of trucks, like the ambulance. I believe this unit would give siren and flashing light (if i want to add one on the roof) as well as turn signals, brake and back up lights and more, and for $40 it's not totally unreasonable. Our buddy Rad thinks he's cheap, but I just might be the biggest cheapskate ever.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/G-T-POWER-C...k/252718194554

Rad, have you ever tried one of these? I think you could figure it out pretty quick and then teach dummies like me.
Old 09-22-2019, 08:17 AM
Crius

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

And for just lights this looks good, it's very cheap at 12 bucks, and looks like even a Gomer like me could get it working.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/US-LED-Ligh....c100005.m1851

The 4 to 6 volt input voltage might be a snag, but they make very cheap regulator boards that could take care of that.
Old 09-22-2019, 08:25 AM
Tanque

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Originally Posted by Panther F View Post
Crius already said it and I've seen these as well- they are not designed to work with a RC receiver unless I'm missing that option..

The suggestions are good, I've seen several on ebay, banggood and alibaba. I'll just try a few, they're inexpensive and see which works for me.

Jerry
Old 09-22-2019, 08:33 AM
Rad_Schuhart

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hi all.first things first, Panther F, I would never, ever, use that unit. A unit that requires to use an extra garaje remote is... IMHO silly :S.

Crius: I have not tried that GT power unit, but another very similar from the same brand. It was very very easy to setup, came with all the leds needed already wired, speaker and vibration unit. Straight fit in any tamiya truck, and maybe even with better quality for a fraction the price. Problem is, in the one I tested, there was no way to change the sounds or program the lights. And that means you have to use the same motor sounds forever, and you cannot program the light outputs to behave for example as a machine gun or any thing you might want in your armored vehicle.

Again, at this point the best option is the market is the TBS benedini board, no discussion possible about it. I reviewed the mini V2 a couple of days ago here.
https://radindustries.wordpress.com/...i-tbs-mini-v2/

If the price is steep for you, you have the benedini mini V1 for 20 bucks free shipping in aliexpress right now, and that is the best bargain I have ever seen in our hobby. The main difference between the v1 and the v2 is, the V2 has way more sound memory. The other differences are non worth telling.
You can also have the Benedini micro and the dasmikro version, but it is so small that it can be a bit hard to handle, and ven more to wire.

I am currently writting a review of the Benedini micro (and dasmikro clone) and also a step by step tutorial for both units.
The only thing that might be a bit of a drawback for those units, is they are not very easy to use. But this is just at the beginning!, once you understand how they work, are super easy to use. And for making that beginning more easy for everybody I am writting that tutorial.

Seriously, the TBS Mini is an amazing piece of technology that makes everything you might need in your model. If you can afford it, buy it at the original benedini store.
Quick demo video (not mine)
And all of that in less than 1 inch and less than 1 gram

And please Crius, dont offend me again, nobody in the world can be cheaper than me. Lol
Old 09-22-2019, 09:08 AM
Crius

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I'll tell you what, Rad, I'll admit that you're the cheapest if you'll post a link to that $20 mini you were talking about at AliExpress. At that price I'm thinking I might by two Minnie's for the cheap price and get one of The Originals at the high price so I'll have access to all the online info that you get when you buy the original benedini. It just breaks my heart to spend that much money!!
Old 09-22-2019, 09:31 AM
Rad_Schuhart

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Originally Posted by Crius View Post
I'll tell you what, Rad, I'll admit that you're the cheapest if you'll post a link to that $20 mini you were talking about at AliExpress. At that price I'm thinking I might by two Minnie's for the cheap price and get one of The Originals at the high price so I'll have access to all the online info that you get when you buy the original benedini. It just breaks my heart to spend that much money!!

There you go!
https://m.es.aliexpress.com/item/400...A1569173562024

Who is the cheapest guy now, huh?

Last edited by Rad_Schuhart; 09-22-2019 at 09:54 AM.
Old 09-22-2019, 09:55 AM
Rad_Schuhart

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Anyway, when ordering it straight from benedini, make sure to order the V2. As I said is the V1 at a 99%, but with much bigger memory. This is important if you are a freak guy like me, and you want to be able to play longer user sounds or music.

If you are a normal human, the V1 should suit you good enough.
Old 09-22-2019, 10:31 AM
Tanque

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

When I was looking initially for the dasmikro clone I found them on Aliexpress and was just about to order them and I went looking for my programmer cable and got sidetracked.

Thanks for your advice Rad, Crius. I'm not sure about being cheap but I have my thresholds also. If you guys knew what I put into these 3 trucks your
hair might fall out, just the gears I purchased alone- the helical gear sets by themselves for the axle upgrade cost 90 Euro just for the large ( driven) gear.for each set..but
still I have a problem paying more than a trivial amount for the light control.. Go figure. Considering that the OEM supplier of a fully tricked out version of one of these
trucks charges 20,000+ Euro for one of them you'd think I could justify a 100 Euro board for them. Yes, you read it right 20,000- that's why I wanted to make my own!

I'll try the dasmikro type. Even though they seem to offer sound and flashing these aren't a big ticket item for me for this project and I really only have a few light circuits to control.
I may well also try a mini V2 just to see what it can do; that you're doing a V2 for dummies guide is a plus. Right now I'm taking a breather from down and dirty machine work
on all these models and I'm working on the dashboards; lights, gauges and what not..

Jerry
Old 09-22-2019, 10:35 AM
Rad_Schuhart

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

20.000??????????????????????????

Zimbabwe Dollars I guess. Or at least I hope.

Do you have a link for that 20.000 bucks toy?

My godness.
Old 09-22-2019, 10:54 AM
Tanque

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Originally Posted by Rad_Schuhart View Post
20.000??????????????????????????

Zimbabwe Dollars I guess. Or at least I hope.

Do you have a link for that 20.000 bucks toy?

My godness.
Euros my friend, Euros....
And that's just for the truck, the lowboy adds a bit more, quite a bit more...

Stehr bought his business from Maier. Over the years has added to the productline and both improved (in some cases not improved) ; increased prices many fold.
Jochen Maier first started this truck project 22 years ago and it was much more realistically priced but still costly.

He no longer lists the price on the page but here's the basic info, the bottom of the two on his page is the fully built out one.
You know 'Call for price' is never a good sign. The one(s) I started with are the top ones. from various guys who ran aground once they realized what was
required to build them out so they sold them for cheap, really cheap or I couldn't have got one... When I'm done the only thing I won't have is the rear winch
but I'm working on that too... I listed the URL for the sorta English version of his page but to get details you'll have to hit the German version and translate it
but still there's no price...

Kaelble Z6W2A 130

My project is here...

Jerry

Last edited by Tanque; 09-22-2019 at 10:56 AM.
Old 09-22-2019, 11:37 AM
Airbrushler

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

WOW Jerry

that truck is Amazing
Old 09-22-2019, 02:40 PM
Tanque

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Originally Posted by Airbrushler View Post
WOW Jerry

that truck is Amazing
I'll take that 'wow' as in "wow the trucks are neato" not "Wow Jerry you really ARE nuts!"

On my page I don't show every operation I did to make what I have made but believe me just the way they are right now represents
a lot of work; of course in typical Jerry way made 3 times as difficult by working on three...I never intended to get three, I would have been
happy with one and if I'd found the second set of parts and such first I would have stopped there...of course having said that there's another one,
fully complete older version and additional lowboy with it that I really want and it's quite reasonable...so if three is good then,,, I figure I could just
set them all four up in my living room fully loaded with heavy tanks on the lowboys and be done with it.. Yeah Jerry really is nutz...

My lady friends just shake their heads whenever they're brave enough to come over here. Why is it women have such a problem with 'clutter'

jerry
Old 09-22-2019, 04:34 PM
Pah co chu puk

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

You are funny Jerry. None of us loitering here think you are nuts. Your work is cool. I got lost on your truck website too.

back to lighting controls:
I have a Bendini v1 left over from a dead tank that I planned to hook up the the 3d printed CCKW I built. I knew that it could control sounds, but not lights. Thanks Rad Schuhart for mentioning that. I'm building an ambulance next and now I think the Bendini would be cool in it if it could control lights and sounds. Where could I learn more about it?
Old 09-22-2019, 11:14 PM
Rad_Schuhart

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Originally Posted by Pah co chu puk View Post
I knew that it could control sounds, but not lights. Where could I learn more about it?
It does not surprise me at all. Id say 95% of people who have a benedini does not know it has not only light outputs, but also smoke and servos.
Even some of the ilegal sellers dont even mention that.

About learning how to use it, I am writting a long tutorial for it, that I hope to have ready soon. But a decent radio will be needed, sorry for the 4ch Futaba radio fans...
Old 09-23-2019, 06:24 AM
Shorty54

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Originally Posted by Rad_Schuhart View Post
It does not surprise me at all. Id say 95% of people who have a benedini does not know it has not only light outputs, but also smoke and servos.
Even some of the ilegal sellers dont even mention that.

About learning how to use it, I am writting a long tutorial for it, that I hope to have ready soon. But a decent radio will be needed, sorry for the 4ch Futaba radio fans...
I will be reading this for sure when its ready Rad. I have 2 Benedinis, I purchased them from Battle Armor a few years back.
I am still trying to learn and unpack all they have to offer. Hopefully your write up will help me out.
Thanks for taking the time to do this.

Enjoy,
Shad
Old 09-23-2019, 11:07 AM
Tanque

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

These guys have some interesting systems including OLED units similar to what I've been playing with as I'd like to try
these in more contemporary vehicles.
Display Systems

Jerry
Old 09-23-2019, 11:08 AM
Pah co chu puk

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Yes Rad, I will want to read that for sure.

I got my Benedini from Battle Armor too.
Old 09-23-2019, 12:09 PM
Rad_Schuhart

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Yep, no worries, I am currently rewritting my benedini micro review, and making a tutorial for both benedinis, the Mini and Micro (and the clones)

I only touch my computer while at job, so it will take me one or two weeks to have it ready, depending how busy I am at the wheel of pain, lol.
Old 09-23-2019, 07:46 PM
RC_BobM

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Jerry,
Here is a simple RC controlled switch for lights. Made by Dimension Engineering same folks that make the Sabertooth speed controllers. Rad I'd like to see the tutorial on hooking up the Benedini!
https://www.dimensionengineering.com/products/delight-controller
Old 09-23-2019, 08:18 PM
Tanque

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Originally Posted by RC_BobM View Post
Jerry,
Here is a simple RC controlled switch for lights. Made by Dimension Engineering same folks that make the Sabertooth speed controllers. Rad I'd like to see the tutorial on hooking up the Benedini!
https://www.dimensionengineering.com/products/delight-controller
Thanks for that, Yeah you know I'd purchased some items from them years back when I was looking to upgrade my tank's starter systems. I purchased
a number of their Dual Radio Controlled Relay units which I was going to use to simultaneously mange the starter an glow driver circuitss of my IC powered tanks
instead of the old servo and dual micro switch method I've used for years, I shelved them and basically forgot about them but somewhere in the back of my mind I was
thinking 'those guys probably have something'. I'll revisit them so thanks for that.

Jerry
Old 09-24-2019, 02:40 AM
Crius

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Bob, I tried that link and it said the page is missing. Jerry, there's also the Turnigy receiver control switches just for on and off. Receiver power is all you need for the whole deal there and that's plenty to run the lights.