Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

HAYA 1/16 RC Chieftain

Old 11-08-2019, 01:43 AM
Pcomm1.v2

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Proxy IR fight suggestion, LOL.

“My offer stands to meet on the field of IR combat with your best vs my best. There are two club battles a month here in SoCa. So there is plenty of opportunity to battle or if you prefer just a “drive off” challenge and no battling. I am sure there are many folks that would love to watch. I would love to eat my words and be proven wrong. So the ball is now in your court.”

Let me translate for you, “stick it where the sun don’t shine” means, well let Rich explain it to you. South El Monte, San Gabriel Valley, LA County, CA, the location for LA Tank fun is not exactly a first choice weekend travel destination and going south to San Diego, while tempting, would probably mean I would not get past San Onofre, either to watch the Marines invade the coastline or to longboard surf. Simply, I have many other fun interests that preclude wasting time with you, but...

Counter proxy offer:

What I will suggest is that Jerermy Dee’s young sons fight you using the Heng Long Sherman 75mm and the ZTZ Chinese Army Heavy Tank, both Tamiya DMD MFU TBU RC IR equipped, both my builds, or whatever they got that day, in a take no prisoners infrared fight against Fsstank. Two young male children against a tough old dude like you, seems a really good fight idea.

Good luck Fsstank and the Dee’s! I am sure Rich can take care of the site, fight planning and rules of engagement arrangements. Do post the results at rcu tanks, still will not be there, LOL.

And...Tamiya only? Don’t think so, LOL. Dude no one cares about your reasons to play with HL, just do it and have fun. I like RTR too, HL, Taigen, Haya, Torro etc, all are good and fun. So, while HL is eventually a throw away infrared rc tank platform, I have had in the motor pool the Heng Long Pz3L, a couple of HL Sherman’s, a couple of Abrams, the ZTZ. For Taigen, the Jagdtiger and Torro the M16 Half Track and T34/76. Some I modified and upgraded others I left alone so family and various kids on the block could play with them. A few of the RTR motor pool, past and present starting around 2005. Bye.

John

Last edited by Pcomm1.v2; 11-08-2019 at 03:19 AM.
Old 11-08-2019, 04:51 AM
mustclime

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Wow, this thread went south fast... OP, nice tank but IMO if you offer HL grade running gear, the price is a bit high.
Sadly, another missed opportunity.

Old 11-08-2019, 07:10 AM
Imex-Erik

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Originally Posted by mustclime View Post
Wow, this thread went south fast... OP, nice tank but IMO if you offer HL grade running gear, the price is a bit high.
Sadly, another missed opportunity.

While it may be a bit high we have to applaud him for doing such a specialized model like that and with the quality he did. Things like road wheels and such can be fixed later but just bringing it out on the market is much more important. It is very expensive (and time consuming!) to make new tanks, not only are there physical costs but there is a lot of R&D that goes into tanks. What I personally see are minor issues that I think the community will fix pretty easily. One of the big advantages to using production parts is the parts availability and keeping costs down for replacements for the customers. I will bet it wont take long to start seeing some real nice upgrades from the guys over at DKLM or RCTANK for it honestly. While I haven't seen it in person I do give it a thumbs up so far.
Old 11-08-2019, 07:42 AM
mustclime

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I just wish someone come out with $300-500 out of the box IR battle tank that could be upgraded.....it’s what the hobby needs to pull more people in...the hobby will never grow with such a high start up cost for new people.☹️
Old 11-08-2019, 07:59 AM
Crius

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Originally Posted by Fsttanks View Post
the hobby is changing and your not keeping up and being left behind.

If you are what the RC tank hobby is changing into, then I prefer to be left behind. You are rude, arrogant and disrespectful. I remember when you first joined this forum. You bought a couple of cheap tanks and two months later you were an expert, dispensing bad advice on what gear boxes to buy. Then after you had been here about 14 months you started telling us how we have watched you work on these tanks "over the last few years". How 14 months suddenly became a few years I have no idea, but I suppose if you live in a fantasy world then anything is possible. You're trying to turn our hobby into a video game, where all that matters is performance on the battlefield, but there is a WHOLE LOT MORE to this hobby than just that. Some of these guys take things like detail and historical accuracy very seriously, and yet you disrespectfully refer to them as static Builders, when the truth is that they have probably forgotten more about radio control than you will ever know.

So go ahead, post your smart-alec response, but remember this, to the guys in this hobby that actually know what they're doing, you are a joke.

And John, I'm sorry to have to break this to you, but it doesn't do you any good to tell someone to put it where the sun doesn't shine if that person already has their head stuffed up there.
Old 11-08-2019, 08:14 AM
tankme

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Originally Posted by mustclime View Post
I just wish someone come out with $300-500 out of the box IR battle tank that could be upgraded.....it’s what the hobby needs to pull more people in...the hobby will never grow with such a high start up cost for new people.☹️
Well I think that was what Clark was thinking with the BT-7 project and he probably realized he couldn't hit the numbers or the deadlines he set for himself which is why that project is not actively being worked on anymore. Producing 300 tanks with ~100 die molded parts is an accomplishment all in itself and that doesn't include the tracks. This hobby will always be expensive. It has been expensive since I saw my first Tamiya tank in the back of the Tamiya catalog that came in my Tamiya Hornet R/C car when I was 10. It's not a mainstream hobby and therefore parts are built in small quantities by small vendors who build parts because they enjoy the hobby.
Old 11-08-2019, 09:34 AM
RichJohnson

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Wow guys..... we need to take it down a notch...
I know all of you guys off line of this forum, and all of you are my friends...
All of you/ us have more experience and more to show than just what we display on this forum. I know you guys all go way back in RC tanks than what we are showing off here. Ive been lurking in this hobby for a long time and didnt really get active beyond one tank until several years ago.
I think the cockyness we are seeing is stemming from the annonimty of the forum and the lack of knowledge of each other. If we were all at an event I think everybody would get along just fine.
Lets get back to just yaking about the haya tank at hand.
Old 11-08-2019, 09:36 AM
Fsttanks

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Originally Posted by Crius View Post
If you are what the RC tank hobby is changing into, then I prefer to be left behind. You are rude, arrogant and disrespectful. I remember when you first joined this forum. You bought a couple of cheap tanks and two months later you were an expert, dispensing bad advice on what gear boxes to buy. Then after you had been here about 14 months you started telling us how we have watched you work on these tanks "over the last few years". How 14 months suddenly became a few years I have no idea, but I suppose if you live in a fantasy world then anything is possible. You're trying to turn our hobby into a video game, where all that matters is performance on the battlefield, but there is a WHOLE LOT MORE to this hobby than just that. Some of these guys take things like detail and historical accuracy very seriously, and yet you disrespectfully refer to them as static Builders, when the truth is that they have probably forgotten more about radio control than you will ever know.

So go ahead, post your smart-alec response, but remember this, to the guys in this hobby that actually know what they're doing, you are a joke.

And John, I'm sorry to have to break this to you, but it doesn't do you any good to tell someone to put it where the sun doesn't shine if that person already has their head stuffed up there.
This from you a guy that recently admits in another thread and in his videos he only buys Heng Long and never battles them or rarely even drives them outside his home. I never bash on those that like to build high quality models for their modeling skills and often beautiful looking tanks, but I do point out when they equate the modeling aspect to their tank somehow making it superior to others in IR battling and running quality when they never or rarely leave the safety of their house.

You may not like me or what I do with my tanks but at least I get out of my house and participate and put my work in front of other to actually see and evaluated for good or bad.

Last edited by Fsttanks; 11-08-2019 at 10:27 AM.
Old 11-08-2019, 09:48 AM
Fsttanks

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Originally Posted by RichJohnson View Post
Wow guys..... we need to take it down a notch...
I know all of you guys off line of this forum, and all of you are my friends...
All of you/ us have more experience and more to show than just what we display on this forum. I know you guys all go way back in RC tanks than what we are showing off here. Ive been lurking in this hobby for a long time and didnt really get active beyond one tank until several years ago.
I think the cockyness we are seeing is stemming from the annonimty of the forum and the lack of knowledge of each other. If we were all at an event I think everybody would get along just fine.
Lets get back to just yaking about the haya tank at hand.
Yes Rich well said and you are right. Now back to HAYA Chieftain.
Old 11-08-2019, 10:04 AM
Panther F

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Originally Posted by Imex-Erik View Post
While it may be a bit high we have to applaud him for doing such a specialized model like that and with the quality he did. Things like road wheels and such can be fixed later but just bringing it out on the market is much more important. It is very expensive (and time consuming!) to make new tanks, not only are there physical costs but there is a lot of R&D that goes into tanks. What I personally see are minor issues that I think the community will fix pretty easily. One of the big advantages to using production parts is the parts availability and keeping costs down for replacements for the customers. I will bet it wont take long to start seeing some real nice upgrades from the guys over at DKLM or RCTANK for it honestly. While I haven't seen it in person I do give it a thumbs up so far.
Exactly, kudos and many applauds! Remember when the WSN T-34 came out around 2005-2006 and needed SO much work to get it on the battlefield. (what a piece of junk) But we did it and it was the only T-34 for a LONG time. Those that are building this Sheridan really can't hold their head up too high for it has it's short comings too... and it was like 700 bucks. And NO RADIO!!!

I like it and want it. Now just to make the year just a little longer...
Old 11-08-2019, 10:12 AM
Pcomm1.v2

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

“So how can you judge me and call what I do wrong and hurtful to the hobby. In my eyes it is you with all your experience that hurts the hobby by not getting out of your house driving to a RC tank event and participating with others. Sorry YouTube is not the same as in person participating. Instead like John above you make excuse after excuse. You may not like me or what I do with my tanks but at least I get out of my house and participate and put my work in front of other to actually see and evaluated for good or bad.” Per Fsstank.

Well, here is where you are wrong. Enjoying the rc hobby with friends is what makes me most happy. The case of to much drama: That opportunity was lacking within the old bickering SCAT rc tank club and it was then I opted for friends running rc tanks in a private backyard arena. The rc tank club has its place and is often fun, there are many great clubs in the USA and Europe. Though, often they are spoiled by guys with your attitudes. As an example, LA Tank has had altercations (fights) at their battle games. Overly aggressive model guys with something to prove is a sad place to be dude. As for Rich Johnson’s group, looks like fun, until you realize they, at times, run in sand, ain’t going to do that to an expensive rc model that is built with heart. Due consider that modeling heart thing, not good to be clueless, Fsstank. Lastly, your mom should have taught you it does not matter what others think about you or your models.

In closing, I will still buy the new Haya and maybe have Rich and Fsstank test it and improve it as a dedicated rock climbing, bashing, photo opportunity rc tank runner; a new challenge, maybe? Or not, junker rc tanks are not part of my build vocabulary, LOL.

Last edited by Pcomm1.v2; 11-08-2019 at 10:35 AM.
Old 11-08-2019, 10:36 AM
RichJohnson

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I will test out anything to a certain limit. Usually just stuff that interests me but Im good at finding spots that needed to be modded for strength though im not a machinest like Daryl is.
FYI our San Diego battle field does not have sand. It has hard and soft powdery dirt and ground cover and brush. No sand like silica. I have been told be several that have been to many fields, that we have the best field they have ever seen as we rarely loose any tracks or break tanks on our field. It is perfect conditions as long as you stay off the SGMs grass.

My desert training center however does have sand, dunes, lots of them, and they are very soft and hard to drive in and hard on tanks. its very fun but I try to be careful when driving, often the system will stall out electrically before I break something. However I did eat a gear mid tranny in my m50 yesterday... It happens. time to go with a bullet proof eto unit.
Old 11-08-2019, 10:38 AM
tankme

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

All I know is that I have a tracking number for mine and it should be here soon...
Old 11-08-2019, 02:31 PM
mustclime

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Originally Posted by tankme View Post
All I know is that I have a tracking number for mine and it should be here soon...
cool, you can do the review 😀
Old 11-09-2019, 06:41 AM
Wozwasnt

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Got my Chieftain the other day and I'm very pleased with it. The commanders copula is a bit naff but I'm converting it to a Mk10 so thats going to be changed.

£500 for the Pro version is a bit steep but it is a limited run (and I'm a Chieftain Fanboy). I think it's a lot better value then the Tamiya King Tiger.

One word of warning- be careful when you slide it out of the box, mine was upside down and all the accessories fell out.
Old 11-09-2019, 12:21 PM
afv aficionado

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Armortek Chieftain 1/6th cupola with acrylic block periscopes - WIP - Builder Youngjae Bae, South Korea

Mylar sheet cut to fit periscopes

Mylar sheet fitted to turret scopes - note reflections

Source material for mylar sheet - mini chocolate bar multi pack - free from chocolate contamination
Hi Woz
Are you planning on doing a 3D print print upgrade for the cupola?
If so, would you consider doing one with empty periscopes - that would allow insertion of acrylic block scopes & mylar film (mirror)?

Mk 10 cupola - is that the one with periscopes angled downward at 15 degrees to prevent reflections? Pt 11 in Stephen Whites Mk 5 guide has a bit about it.

You might want to consider doing the latter NBC pack too - point 9 in the guide refers. Guide - Chieftain Mk 5 Guide - Armortek -

Mal

Last edited by afv aficionado; 11-09-2019 at 12:42 PM. Reason: additional info
Old 11-09-2019, 01:56 PM
Wozwasnt

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Originally Posted by afv aficionado View Post

Armortek Chieftain 1/6th cupola with acrylic block periscopes - WIP - Builder Youngjae Bae, South Korea

Mylar sheet cut to fit periscopes

Mylar sheet fitted to turret scopes - note reflections

Source material for mylar sheet - mini chocolate bar multi pack - free from chocolate contamination
Hi Woz
Are you planning on doing a 3D print print upgrade for the cupola?
If so, would you consider doing one with empty periscopes - that would allow insertion of acrylic block scopes & mylar film (mirror)?

Mk 10 cupola - is that the one with periscopes angled downward at 15 degrees to prevent reflections? Pt 11 in Stephen Whites Mk 5 guide has a bit about it.

You might want to consider doing the latter NBC pack too - point 9 in the guide refers. Guide - Chieftain Mk 5 Guide - Armortek -

Mal
Hi

I'm going to print them in resin with clear resin periscopes.
Old 11-09-2019, 02:00 PM
afv aficionado

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Cool - less work for me. Angled?

Mal