Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

HAYA 1/16 RC Chieftain

Old 10-02-2019, 06:05 PM
Strathcona

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default HAYA 1/16 RC Chieftain

Good Day!
A company called HAYA in the UK, has released a RC 1/16 Chieftain Tank.. Any comments positive or negative are welcome. The price is a bit expensive. Is it worth it?

Last edited by Strathcona; 10-02-2019 at 06:10 PM.
Old 10-03-2019, 02:38 AM
Wozwasnt

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Originally Posted by Strathcona View Post
Good Day!
Is it worth it?
It's a Chieftain.

Not saying I have a thing for Chieftains but I pre ordered a pro version as soon as I found out about it.
Old 10-03-2019, 03:21 AM
Pah co chu puk

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

They seem to have several cool things. I got one of the German WW2 figures and the detail is good, but not really great.
https://www.hayaltd.co.uk/
Old 10-03-2019, 05:33 AM
Crius

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

If they'll ship to the US the pro version should come in at just over $600, plus shipping. That's about comprable with a Toro King Tiger. I saw a couple of things that made me wonder though, like the fact that they say it's got metal tracks and Metal Gear boxes but they don't mention sprockets or idlers and they don't say if the gears are steel or zinc. And they say it's Tamiya compatible but it really isn't. It will be able to receive and give hits, but that's all, no speed reduction for battle damage, no separate tank classes, not truly Tamiya compatible. But for those that have been waiting a very, very long time for a Chieftain, this should be a very good tank.
Old 10-03-2019, 06:56 AM
tankme

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Yes, they are shipping to the US. I pre-ordered a pro version also and it was $627 US shipped. I like more modern armor and the less common stuff so it was a no brainer for me. Price will go up after the initial release. It may come down again if they build more of them, but that might be years or they may never do another production run. You never know with small producers. If you want it and like British armor I would say get it while they are available.

Last edited by tankme; 10-03-2019 at 06:58 AM.
Old 10-03-2019, 11:11 AM
Fsttanks

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I emailed them and asked about many of the above questions and more. To their credit they actually responded. Yes to metal idler and sprocket on "pro version" and Yes to steel gears for both. The down side is the suspension components (arms and road wheels) are only being offered in plastic (they even sent a photo of the parts). They indicated these parts are NOT the "off the shelf" HL Challenger 2 parts that were used in the prototype stages and thus not compatible. Meaning no easy metal upgrades and no indication if any will follow. Also no indication if spare plastic suspension parts will be available either. For $500-600 US thats just not acceptable as these plastic parts will be subjected to the typical plastic on plastic wear that is so commonly seen on the basic Heng Long tanks when driven in dirt or sandy terrain leading to a limited usable life if one enjoys driving and fighting their tank in dirt.

Chieftain suspension

They are using the new 6.0/1 Heng Long electronics which are a huge improvement over the old 5.3 electronics and in some ways it is better then Tamiya in handling performance even with 3:1 gears (though not in quality) based on my side by side testing of a HL T72 vs Tamiya M4 and Abrams systems.

The IR battling compatibility DOES have limits, but these can be worked around with setting guide lines to "even things out" before fighting begins. We have found setting the 6.0 HL system on low power/speed mode coupled with when hit the HL tank stops for ~3 seconds to do its "hit and flashing light dance" tends to even out the odds. They become "sitting ducks" while stopped and can be hit repeatedly, maneuvered on and do not have the 1 second invulnerability during firing that Tamiya does. A Tamiya tank set on light or med with average drivers running both tanks wins more often then not against the HL 6.0 on low power mode. On the HL high power mode YES, it then becomes an uneven fight and the HL tends to win more. Point is it can be made to work in a reasonably fair manner and for the new or casual IR battler a 6.0/1 system is a cheap why to start getting hooked.

All the above said I can't see keeping the 6.0/1 it in what will be rare $600+ tank. Mine will be getting a Tamiya system or Clark 60/80 and will most likely have the suspension modified with brass sleeves on the road wheel axles to extend their useful life or bearings added to the road wheels if possible.

Last edited by Fsttanks; 10-03-2019 at 11:27 AM.
Old 10-03-2019, 01:33 PM
afv aficionado

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

They also have a Chieftain 360 Rotation unit - 18 wire - available, being shipped in the same container, Andrew is thinking about a video installation guide.

If you're interested in Chieftain research, check out the Armortek Chieftain page - .Chieftain MBT - Armortek - lots of interesting stuff.
Coincidentally, the Armortek 1/6th Chieftains started shipping this week.

Mal
Old 10-05-2019, 06:26 PM
Strathcona

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I have one the mail. A Centurion would be great!
Old 10-06-2019, 09:52 AM
tomhugill

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Originally Posted by Strathcona View Post
I have one the mail. A Centurion would be great!
I'm selling mine
Old 10-17-2019, 06:48 PM
Strathcona

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hello Tom,
I seen it in other internet places, and it is fantastic, but out of my price range at the moment, plus I live across "The Pond".
Old 10-19-2019, 09:47 PM
armourguy

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Would love to see an M60
Old 10-20-2019, 10:45 AM
Fsttanks

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Originally Posted by armourguy View Post
Would love to see an M60
There is one. DKLM makes it. A very active and knowledgeable member here on RCU (RichJohnson) has one and it is a work of art. Here is a photo of it at a recent IR tank battle at the monthly LA Tank clubs meet. He has an M60 build thread here on RCU.

M60 just behind M51. LA Tank club.

Last edited by Fsttanks; 10-20-2019 at 11:00 AM.
Old 10-20-2019, 09:49 PM
armourguy

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

The DKLM kit is incredible, and is very well engineered. My only objections are the lack of properly scale track / running gear as the M1 track and M26 sprockets are too narrow for the M60. Also the recycled M26 road wheels are just not close enough IMO for the M60's wheels. Also one ding that I will give the kit was because of the use of the narrow tracks and running gear the fenders are also more narrow than they need to be for the M60. If someone were to crank out a set of correct scale M60 tracks / running gear and update the CAD files on the kit then IMO the DKLM kit becomes more interesting to me for the price.

Last edited by armourguy; 10-20-2019 at 09:57 PM.
Old 10-21-2019, 03:50 AM
Crius

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

The price is the main problem, if you ask me. Just ask Rich how much he has into his, and he'll tell you that it's several thousand dollars. For an all plastic tank.
Old 10-21-2019, 11:36 AM
tankme

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I think 3D printing is great innovation, but it has its limitations in the consumer market. Over time 3D printed parts will get cheaper and be of better quality. The 3D printing on the M60 seems fragile. Rich already broke one of the front fenders. This Chieftan is molded in styrene (or ABS not sure) and IMO would be much stronger than a 3D printed tank. Can't wait to get it. I'm guessing my Chieftan will get here in late November.
Old 10-21-2019, 01:32 PM
RichJohnson

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Yeah, on the m60 i broke a shock mount too. Both repaired and stronger than before but you cant beat it up like a tamiya, ie i wont be jumping anything with it like I did with my Tamiya ez8 as seen in a photo Fastanks posted on the photogallery.
Its a great running tank and performs really well on our huge field over all terrain. I, not shy of driving it, just not going rock climbing or airborne lol. I do have alot of money in it the tamy abrams tracks hurt alot.... dklm did drop the price shortly after i bought mine.
The cheiflen looks really cool and i considered it for a minute but lack of any spares hurts, and Im a buildler not a buyer really.... i bought a static merkava to challenge my skills next year. Plus i counted like 7 sherman on my shelf that are started or half built lol.

Please post a bunch when you guys get your tanks. Its an exciting time to be in this hobbby with these small timers putting out great models.
Old 10-21-2019, 05:30 PM
tankme

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

There will still be some building on my part on the Chieftain I believe. I doubt I'll keep the stock electronics in it.
Old 10-21-2019, 06:03 PM
Fsttanks

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Originally Posted by tankme View Post
There will still be some building on my part on the Chieftain I believe. I doubt I'll keep the stock electronics in it.
You will be fairly pleasantly surprised just how good the Heng Long 6.0 system that is being used in the Chieftain is. I was and still am. My T72 has the new 6.0 and it is a better overall handling tank then my Tamiya Abrams or M4 MFUs. The 6.0 is proving very user add on friendly and can be tweaked here and there to achieve different functions that are built in but not all utilized.
Old 10-24-2019, 02:32 AM
tankman

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Originally Posted by Fsttanks View Post

You will be fairly pleasantly surprised just how good the Heng Long 6.0 system that is being used in the Chieftain is. I was and still am. My T72 has the new 6.0 and it is a better overall handling tank then my Tamiya Abrams or M4 MFUs. The 6.0 is proving very user add on friendly and can be tweaked here and there to achieve different functions that are built in but not all utilized.
Just a quick heads up for you guys the Haya ltd Chieftain is not made or designed by HL nor does it use the HL 6.0 electronics, it uses a control system made to Haya ltds own specifications. These include ports for 2 standard servos, 4 interchangeable sound files, switchable lighting and some other features. One of these Chieftains has recently been made available to a club I belong to, the RCTR 1/16th scale tank club in the U.K. for review.
If your interested I will post up the review done by my fellow hobbyists. We have no financial, sales or other interests in this model other than from a hobby point of view, so if you want an unbiased review from a hobby perspective I will post it here once done.
Old 10-24-2019, 06:27 AM
tankme

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Tankman,

I already have a tank on order from Haya so I have no dog in this fight, but I think your club's review would be very beneficial to the rest of the community. I think some of us have (maybe wrongly) assumed it was some kind of HL electronics because the only indication of the electronics are from pictures and the pictures look similar to the HL control module.
Old 10-24-2019, 08:19 AM
tankman

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Give us a few days as we are in the process of compiling pictures to go with the written review. Soon as we have that all sorted we will be more than happy to post it up for you guys. In the interim you can check out some of the details from proof of concept to final production on the Haya ltd Chieftain on there youtube channel ( link below )

Old 10-24-2019, 08:36 AM
Fsttanks

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Originally Posted by tankman View Post

Just a quick heads up for you guys the Haya ltd Chieftain is not made or designed by HL nor does it use the HL 6.0 electronics, it uses a control system made to Haya ltd’s own specifications. These include ports for 2 standard servos, 4 interchangeable sound files, switchable lighting and some other features. One of these Chieftains has recently been made available to a club I belong to, the RCTR 1/16th scale tank club in the U.K. for review.
If your interested I will post up the review done by my fellow hobbyists. We have no financial, sales or other interests in this model other than from a hobby point of view, so if you want an unbiased review from a hobby perspective I will post it here once done.
They can say it not Heng Long all day but the fact it is using a Heng Long MFU a TK 6.3? system which has the same features as the 6.0/1. It also uses the Heng Long IR receiver, motors, gearboxes, smoke system, 360 turret rotation wire collar, recoil system and new HL radio transmitter that is due to come with the 6.1 tanks. Oh and that manufacturing plant sure resembles one seen in a few Heng Long videos. People are not blind, especially when things I am pointing out can be clearly seen in the videos THEY posted on the product page for the tank.

There are few photos, videos or any real information for a reason. The more that is shown the more it becomes clear who is manufacturing the tank and they know quite well more then a few folks would balk at the nearly $500-$600 price tag if they admitted to who was building the tank for them. If there are some tanks out there then post up some photos of the inside workings and bottom of the hull. Heng Long would have molded their company logo into the plastic just like they do with all their plastic hulls even the ones made for Taigen/Torro have the HL logo. If its not Heng Long then there would be another companies logo. Simple request, but I doubt we will see it before the mass release. But feel free to prove me wrong in my statements and observations, I would gladly admit to being wrong in them.

All said I am excited for this tank I have one on order, but I am not fooling myself as to who is building it. After all HAYA is the largest importer of Heng Long tanks in the UK, it is owned by people of Chinese heritage with a close working relationship with Heng Long. There is an old saying "If it quacks, walks, swims like a duck it is most likely a DUCK". Same goes for this new tank.

Last edited by Fsttanks; 10-24-2019 at 05:50 PM.
Old 10-24-2019, 08:47 AM
tomhugill

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Originally Posted by Fsttanks View Post
They can say it not Heng Long all day but the fact it is using a Heng Long MFU a TK 6.3 system which has the same features as the 6.0/1 plus a few more. It also uses the Heng Long IR receiver, motors, gearboxes, smoke system, 360 turret rotation wire collar, recoil system and new HL radio transmitter that is due to come with the 6.1 tanks. Oh and that manufacturing plant sure resembles one seen in a few Heng Long videos. People are not blind, especially when things I am pointing out can be clearly seen in the videos THEY posted on the product page for the tank.

There are few photos, videos or any real information for a reason. The more that is shown the more it becomes clear who is manufacturing the tank and they know quite well more then a few folks would balk at the nearly $500-$600 price tag if they admitted to who was building the tank for them. If there are some tanks out there then post up some photos of the inside workings and bottom of the hull. Heng Long would have molded their company logo into the plastic just like they do with all their plastic hulls even the ones made for Taigen/Torro have the HL logo. If its not Heng Long then there would be another companies logo. Simple request, but I doubt we will see it before the mass release. But feel free to prove me wrong in my statements and observations, I would gladly admit to being wrong in them.

All said I am excited for this tank I have one on order, but I am not fooling myself as to who is building it. After all HAYA is the largest importer of Heng Long tanks in the UK, it is owned by people of Chinese heritage with a close working relationship with Heng Long. There is an old saying "If it quacks, walks, swims like a duck it is most likely a DUCK". Same goes for this new tank.
I believe haha has a cousin in Henglong and its definitely manufactured by henglong!
Old 10-24-2019, 01:00 PM
tankme

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

It's a low volume run of tanks so to me higher prices are to be expected. Making repeatable molds and R&D is expensive even today in the world of 3D printing. Personally I don't care who manufactured it either as long as I'm happy with it.
Old 10-24-2019, 02:20 PM
tankman

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

If you gentlemen can contain yourselves till the review is done and pictures are posted, then might be the right time to get into an informed discussion rather than shooting from the lip as they say ( should have said finger as we are on a forum lol ).

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service