Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

newb needs crash course in tanks Some Q's

Old 11-10-2019, 11:39 AM
Rojoyinc

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default newb needs crash course in tanks Some Q's

My grandsons are into WWII and for Christmas I thought I'd get one or both a RC tank. I've looked at reviews and things and (they're mind boggling as there are options of same products). I seem to find that Heng Long are the best? value?
I ordered one then later found that some have IR battle capabilities. I canceled that order to try again.

What is a good IR battle and pellet shooting tank for kids one is 8 the other 11. I don't like getting junk. But they are kids and one tends to throw everything in the lake. (eventually).
Price if possible would be limited to 150 each (ish)

Since I started researching I was really impressed by some of what I've found and now I WANT ONE. I'd also like to take part in their IR battles. (compatible?) I'd be willing to go 250-300 maybe more if recommended. I'd like BIG, SLOW - PROPORTIONAL realistic.
Not a RC CAR with a tank body. ;-)

thanks for getting me up to speed. IS there a "best to get" back in the olden days the off road car to get was the RC-10 I built and was pleased with. Surely there is a upgradable, repairable tank that is the "one to get" too?

Ron in Michigan. The boys will likely play in sand.
Old 11-10-2019, 01:54 PM
Pah co chu puk

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

It sounds like a Heng Long 1/16 scale tank is what you guys need. They are ready to run out of the box, they have an IR battle system, they go a bit fast for a scale tank, but not too fast, and if he throws it into the lake, you can rebuild it from the tracks up with aftermarket parts. You can also upgrade them with aftermarket parts to hobby grade standards later if you want. I've spent many fun hours painting, rebuilding, battling, and running my Heng Long tanks with my son. Some of my tanks are almost 10 years old and are still ready to battle any time. All the research we did together detailing the tanks has taught my son more about history than the public school has. They are the perfect age right now, dive in!
Old 11-10-2019, 04:01 PM
tankme

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Best ones now have the Heng Long Version 6.0 or higher controller modules in them.
Old 11-10-2019, 08:47 PM
RichJohnson

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

You must buy models that have the 6.0 control system for them to do IR battle with each other effectively. Ebay tends to show the best prices around. Pick the tanks you want and do a search and go through all the listings you see to the end and pick some and compare.
The sherman is truly a nearly indestructive model. Its possible, but not probable.
For WWII your looking at shermans and panzers. The tigers tend to loose tracks alot. I have had good luck with the sherman and panzer 3.
The one problem you will see down the line after long use i the plastic wheels rolling on plastic axles will wear heavily and make the wheels very loose and sloppy. Not a killer on the sherman but could be on german tanks. There are higer grade versions of each tank that have metal wheels and or bearings in the wheels. You probably dont need this for the kids, but if you really get into it you might want that type for yourself. Or you can upgrade down the line if you are still playing with them when they wear and need repairs. Many of us do this as kind of a run to fail plan and upgrade when necessary.
Good luck and have fun with the kiddos. I gave my son a sherman when he was 2. It only broke because he pushed it when the batteries died lol. I fixed it and he still drives it at 5 now but I let him use a tamiya sherman in our club IR battles and our great club puts up with him too. I think now though he has his eye on my languishing panzer 3... Its not used as I am not really a german tank fan...
Old 11-11-2019, 12:33 AM
jarndice

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I cannot emphasise enough that you buy a Version 6.0 or 6.01 fitted Heng Long Tank otherwise known as a Generation 4,
If the vendor does not tell you clearly that it is a Version 6.0 or 6.01/ Gen 4 then walk away,
Prior to the Version 6.0 the Tank was either I/R OR Airsoft the Version 6.0 incorporates both.
Heng Long have not fitted the new electronics to all of their 1/16 range of Armour yet so do ASK the dealer if you are in any doubt over a particular model.
Good Luck.

Last edited by jarndice; 11-11-2019 at 12:36 AM.
Old 11-11-2019, 05:55 AM
Rojoyinc

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

THANK YOU all very helpful. I ask in a facebook group and the responses weren't as helpful!