Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

King Tiger motor temps

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2020, 06:52 PM
PanzerAce
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default King Tiger motor temps

I've been out of the hobby for a few years now as I had sold all my tanks about 9 years back. Recently I got back into it and purchased a Taigen IR Kingtiger. The tank runs great and very smooth but I simply have one question. How hot are the set of 390 motors supposed to get? Doing testing on a tile floor with no restriction or load other than the weight of the tank itself, the motors are untouchable within a VERY short time. I'm not sure if that is "normal" or not. Just looking for some insight. Thanks guys!

Old 08-01-2020, 04:25 AM
Tankster

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

I would check to see if the track tension is too tight maybe and creating resistance. Make sure you’re drive sprockets will turn freely and not binding up in any way. I guess you’re using the stock battery that came with the tank. I’m no rc expert but those are some things to check. Good luck to you.
Old 08-01-2020, 07:48 AM
Tanque

Received 95 Likes on 82 Posts

If you have access to a current or power meter put it between a motor and the motor driver output. You will see what the draw is. If both motors
are equally hot which is what I believe you are saying then check the tension as a previous poster suggested. Are the motor brushes (I assume
these are brushed) arcing excessively? Is it practical to take a motor out and run it by itself? While the motor is out and with the tank chassis
supported so the tracks aren't touching a surface how mush effort is required to manually turn the gearbox?

Lastly We're all assuming the gearboxes have adequate lubrication, right?

Jerry
Old 08-01-2020, 10:03 AM
PanzerAce
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I took the motors out of the gearboxes. Both sides turn effortlessly by hand.I found no restriction in the tracks/wheels/sprockets/idlers. I had greased the gearboxes as soon as I got the tank and then again about a week ago. With the motors out by themselves I barely see the tiniest of arc's every now and then but nothing excessive. It took the motors right at 30 seconds of half throttle top become extremely hot. I don't currently have access to a power meter though =/.
Old 08-03-2020, 09:07 AM
heavyaslead

Received 36 Likes on 25 Posts

Motors do get hot, but not untouchable except very large engines

Is the Taigen metal or plastic?

If metal, substitute new 390's or 400's

Possible the voltage rating of the 390's is too low, which would cause over-heating
Old 08-04-2020, 06:30 PM
Rc-Archer2020

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just found one of my blue heng long motors was not spinning freely and getting hot. The front bushing was out of alignment and once I tweaked the front bearing so the armature spun freely, then the motor ran cooler.
Old 08-06-2020, 12:36 PM
Lotuswins

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It may be defective motors? Have you an ohmmeter? Disconnect the motor at the MFU, and measure resistance from motor terminal to the motor case, on both motors. You should get infinity or high resistance, in the Meg Ohms. Check than none of the capacitor wires on the motors are shorted to the case, or touching anywhere they shouldn't be. I believe normal construction is to have 3 per motor, one between the motor terminals, and one each from case to motor terminal.

Be careful with this, since its easy to fry an MFU if it is drawing too much current. Is the MFU getting hot?? Are any of the power leads getting warm? The stock wiring is rather marginal, so increasing to the 390 motors can bring on issues on a heavy tank like the KT. Have you done any modifications to the electrics? What battery are you using?

Jerry