Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

HobbyZone M1A1 1/16th scale - quick info

Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

HobbyZone M1A1 1/16th scale - quick info

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2005, 12:52 PM
stealth916

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HobbyZone M1A1 1/16th scale - quick info

I picked up the HobbyZone M1A1 tank in 1/16th scale from the LHS for my 6yr old son as an X-mas gift. I asked the store clerk if it was proportional speed and he said yes, but seemed unsure. So I even called Horizon while I was there, and got passed around and finally asked the question - and was told it had several speeds but not really proportional.

Well since I coudn't find the info online or even on the phone or in person to save my life before I purchased - maybe I will save you. It is NOT proportional or even resistor based. It is single speed only. I pretty much knew this by looking at the controller, but you would think I could have gotten a defintive answer before purchase.

That said, it is a nice bit of gear for a toy. These are my quick observations after only 5 mins of clandestine play - because Santa hasn't come yet!

The turret rotates 180, and the cannon goes up or down, and fires with recoil, light flash, and sound. While you are moving the cannon up or down, the machine gunner will fire the machine gun while traversing it back and forth about 45 degrees. It does not have any engine sounds however.

The tank includes a 7.2v NiCd using 6 x AA cells and a standard Kyosho/Tamiya type plug. It has pretty good power, but way too much speed for indoor use with no speed control. Also like any large tank without speed control, starting from a standstill seems pretty hard on the drivetrain - as does spins. Probably after the battery runs for a few minutes, this will be less pronounced - but this tank would be very nice with PROPO Speed control!

The treads are rubber and and seem well seated to the runners - very unlikely to come off. I could see a seam where the tracks are glued or otherwise welded together - that could be a weak spot. The treads are available as spares for $6.99 from Horizon if something really terrible happened to them.

There is no suspension action to mention - I will take a look at potential easy mods, but this is to remain a kids toy so I won't get elaborate or spend much time if something simple doesn't stand out. Suspension probably isn't worth it without propo speed control.

There are red LED lights in the front and back of the tank. Curiously, each side LED is activated with each drive motor. So when you have only one stick going, only one LED is lit in the front. One potential mod would be to replace the front Red LEDs with White, and also to wire all LEDs to run when either motor is going.

I heard something rattling around loose inside while I was testing it, and bet myself $10 it was a solder ball. So I removed the ten or so screws and cracked the upper/lower half apart slightly and then what do you know - a solder ball came out.

I was able to stop the tank in front of a 2 1/2" vertical face, and then hitting the forward controls the tank sets back pretty nicely while accelerating (like a real m1!) and will pop up onto or over such an obstacle pretty easily. I have not tested how high an obstacle it will pop up onto. Not being able to turn the cannon around to the back will preclude some 'breakthrough' missions. Likely the turret could be modified for more than 180 degree action.

I did not take it completely apart, but I will someday soon. I will take pics of the guts so future buyers and hackers can take a look.

One nice thing about this tank, as far as toys go - is that you can buy spare parts!

http://www.hobbyzone.com/rc_other_ho..._m1a1_tank.htm

Old 12-18-2005, 02:12 PM
TANKDUEL

Default RE: HobbyZone M1A1 1/16th scale - quick info

Hi, good write up. It does have engine sounds, you just cant hear them over the noise the gearboxes make. Disconnect the motors if you want to hear it.
Old 12-18-2005, 09:28 PM
mikeyt

i have one to. 4 year grandson can handel it pretty good outside
Old 12-22-2005, 12:14 AM
carfanaticcj11

think that if i buy this, i could put a cheap speed control, 19 turn motor, and hitec srx radio system and make it a good(CHEAP!!!!) alternative to the 800 dollar tamiya ones
Old 12-22-2005, 05:13 PM
mikeyt

i wish tamiya made 1/16 scale m1a1 or a2 version
ORIGINAL: carfanaticcj11

think that if i buy this, i could put a cheap speed control, 19 turn motor, and hitec srx radio system and make it a good(CHEAP!!!!) alternative to the 800 dollar tamiya ones
Old 12-29-2005, 01:20 PM
delajust

I just got one of they tanks thru ebay. It was pretty easy to handle. Both my kids really liked it especially my 5yr old daughter (she a daddy's girl, most of the time). Now if you really want to modify this tank just check this site below for a M2 Bradley I've got a 1/16 M113A2 my wife bought me from Walmart and have already started to modify it now. But it would be cool to Modify this tank like they did this Bradly.

Robert
[link]http://www.rctransmission.com/Bradley.htm[/link]
Old 12-29-2005, 04:13 PM
icecreamslick
My Feedback: (9)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That Bradley is AMAZING! I'm afraid that I could not figure that kind of modification/set-up without a very knowledgeable person next to me, guiding me through it. [&o]

I just want to buy one that is ready to go.