Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Bandai tanks

Old 02-08-2006, 07:01 PM
Reindeer
My Feedback: (25)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bandai tanks

Has anyone had experience with these models?
Old 02-09-2006, 11:18 AM
heavyaslead

Received 36 Likes on 25 Posts
Default RE: Bandai tanks

Yes, I have a converted full function PzKw IV F2 from the base Bandai kit. it has all origional material from the kit except adding Tamiya electronics for running and using the Battle System.

It is great as a model and here are points for RC use:
Overall it does adequately if you do not drive it hard. The stock brass gears in the gearbox will get well worn and gouged by the steel gears and makes for noisy running, the scale speed is very realistic (about 16mph) in my case.

The stock tracks and suspension (or lack thereof) is perhaps the most significant concern. Unless modifing for sprung suspension, the tracks will have to to be tight in order not to throw them. The tracks will need to be pinned with metal pins to avoid track breakage as well.

Parts wear (depending on how often you run it) can be significant for the idler and roadwheels use plastic sleeves for rotation on the axels and eventually develop wobble and come off.

On the good side, the tank is lighter than the Tamiya models and climbs well over most terrain. It is convertable to full-function with some work, and is a challeging model to 'correct' details to the real tank.

Compared to my Tamiya tanks, I do not service the Bandai any more or less than the Tamiya tanks. If treated with care it will be a fair runner, if treated like a racecar, it will crash and burn.