Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Real tanks.

Old 03-17-2006, 03:28 AM
sollie

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Real tanks.

Just wanted to share some sites I found on the leopard fleet in Norway Sweden and Denmark. Some god info and god pic’s too.. Enjoy

http://www.haaland.info/norway/tank/index.html

http://www.haaland.info/sweden/tank/index.html

http://www.haaland.info/denmark/tank/index.html
Old 03-17-2006, 04:25 AM
Der-Held

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Real tanks.

The leopard 1a5 classic German tank (and my all time favorite) a lot of European Countrys use German and British made tanks,than again we germans always had good Panzers

P.S since this is about real tanks i have a view links for all Tiger Panzer Fans.(two videos)
they show a very early production tiger.
http://www.badongo.com/vid/71091
http://www.badongo.com/vid/71102
Old 03-17-2006, 06:34 AM
sollie

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

That was great to se where was that taken??
Do you have some more live footage?
Old 03-17-2006, 05:50 PM
Der-Held

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Good question.....i think it was taken somewhere in England,and i have one more it shows the tank moving its turret and barrel.That tiger really had a nice camo pattern (Sand Yellow and Yellow Green)i think that tiger was captured during the war,since this is a very Early Tiger.you can tell from the targeting system at the front right at the turret (the two holes) it does not have the extra armor at those two holes. Well i could type about that for days,here is the link for the other video
http://www.badongo.com/vid/71580
and if you are looking for some real WWII Panzer footage,well i made a video its 5 min long and has some nice music in it.(music from the movie Armageddon)
http://www.badongo.com/vid/71638

Cheers Der Held
Old 03-17-2006, 09:03 PM
pauluk2w
My Feedback: (7)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

That video was taken at bovington tank museum in england. I am delighted to say I have actually had the pleasure to drive that tank.
I served at bovington back in 1994 when i was a tank crewman
Old 03-17-2006, 09:08 PM
pauluk2w

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

almost forgot here is a link to some information on the tiger tank they have there [link]http://www.tiger-tank.com/[/link]
Old 03-18-2006, 07:09 PM
Mini-T King

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

how fast does a tiger tank go
Old 03-19-2006, 03:12 AM
Der-Held

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

The average speed was around 38-45 Km/h
Old 03-20-2006, 03:17 AM
sollie

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Der-Held

Good question.....i think it was taken somewhere in England,and i have one more it shows the tank moving its turret and barrel.That tiger really had a nice camo pattern (Sand Yellow and Yellow Green)i think that tiger was captured during the war,since this is a very Early Tiger.you can tell from the targeting system at the front right at the turret (the two holes) it does not have the extra armor at those two holes. Well i could type about that for days,here is the link for the other video
http://www.badongo.com/vid/71580
and if you are looking for some real WWII Panzer footage,well i made a video its 5 min long and has some nice music in it.(music from the movie Armageddon)
http://www.badongo.com/vid/71638

Cheers Der Held

Hehe, write all you can m8, thanks 4 the vid's , really great to se.

And Pauluk2w, that must have been quite exciting to get behind the wheels of a real tiger?? How was the space inside and how was it to operate/drive?? Do you have any pic's of it, guess digital cameras hadn’t started to show up yet but maybe you have converted some pic's???

Old 03-20-2006, 08:12 PM
pauluk2w

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

There is a chance my parents may have some pics that i left when I moved to the U.S I will ask next time i talked to them. all tanks have very limited space to move around and the tiger was no exception. the best place i found in any tank was in the drivers seat. the position in a tank I hated most was loader operator. every time i loaded the 120mm I always thanked god i had all my fingers left. you can usually tell the loaders they have a finger or two missing lol.
Old 03-20-2006, 09:54 PM
CapnCrunch43

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: pauluk2w

There is a chance my parents may have some pics that i left when I moved to the U.S I will ask next time i talked to them. all tanks have very limited space to move around and the tiger was no exception. the best place i found in any tank was in the drivers seat. the position in a tank I hated most was loader operator. every time i loaded the 120mm I always thanked god i had all my fingers left. you can usually tell the loaders they have a finger or two missing lol.
I was just the opposite. I hated the cramped drivers compartment with a passion, even though driving was fun. I took to the loaders possition quickly and, in fact, when there were short handed crews, to get my loading "fix" I would volunteer to load for those crews during gunnery. That 120mm is one awesome weapon!

As for losing fingers loading, that was a common fear, espeacially with the ready ammo door.

BTW, I take it you were a crewman on a Challenger? Don't the loaders only have a rail to sit on in the turret? [:'(]
Old 03-21-2006, 11:07 AM
pauluk2w

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I started as a crewman in a challenger 1 tank but my regiment were the first to get the new challenger 2. The loaders do have a seat but it is not the best seat in the world lol. A lot of changes were made when they built challenger 2 and I have to add they were changes for the better. challenger 2 had been tested for a period of over 10 years and over them years a lot of improvements were made before it ever bacame operational. There are several reasons why I liked the drivers seat best was the fact there was more storage space at the side of the seat and also if any member is to survive a direct hit in the tank it is usually the driver. we had a challenger 2 that had taken 3 direct hits in Iraq not so long ago and all crew members were unhurt and the tank was still operational.
Old 03-21-2006, 12:29 PM
CapnCrunch43

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

The reason I asked about the loaders seat in the Challenger (2) is, during Operation Desert Storm we had the British 1st Armored to our right flank. After the ground war, we had the chance to climb all over each others tanks, see and taste each others rations, and just talk for a short bit. I remember climbing into the tank and seeing that rail. I don't remember much else besides that (been quite a while!).

In the M1, the driver has to sit, as if in a reclining chair(almost laying down!) when the hatch is closed. It was like being in a torture chamber for me, because I didn't find out that I was somewhat claustrophobic until I was introduced to this tiny cramped space! There was no problem being in the turret when the hatch was closed, but I could only manage a short while in the driver's compartment, unless it was absolutely necessary. If I was forced to sleep in the "hole", you could be sure that at some time I would wake up screaming mad!

During my first gunnery exercise, I couldn't bring myself to close the hatch all the way. We pulled into the firing berm to do a test fire, and I had no idea what was actually going on. Suddenly I heard the gunner shout "On the way", but didn't have enough time to close the hatch! Needless to say, in the drivers position after that, I payed close attention to what was going on in the turret!
Old 03-21-2006, 02:48 PM
pauluk2w

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

the challenger you will have climbed all over would have been a challenger 1, The challenger 2 came into service in 1994. I was in 7th armoured brigade and I still say it takes a special breed to become tankers. Tanks are dirty oily contraptions and space is very limited to say the least. I love the M1 MBT but if I had my choice between the two I would choose the challenger 2
Old 03-21-2006, 04:25 PM
CapnCrunch43

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Of course you would choose the Challenger 2. As I would choose the M1A1.

Once you are a part of turning a 64+ ton beast into a dangerous fighting tool, you will forever have a fondness for that machine and the relationships with your fellow crew members.

As for a special breed, I agree 100%.

BTW, have you or anyone else seen pictures of the Leopard 2 dressed up in some sort of new fitted netting camoflauge system? I remember seeing one like this and thought it was very cool looking.
Old 03-21-2006, 05:56 PM
Der-Held

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

wow,a Challenger tanker and a M1 tanker ,cool all we need now is a Leopard tanker i still think of becoming a Leo Tank Commander.And about the camo net for the Leopard did you mean this one?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Us53653.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	45.6 KB
ID:	430504  
Old 03-21-2006, 10:26 PM
CapnCrunch43

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

That would be it, Der-Held. Thanks.

Leopard 2's are probably my second favorite tank, thanks to the tank simulation Steel Beasts. They have a very functional appearance and with that camouflage netting they look like they mean business.
Old 03-22-2006, 04:36 AM
sollie

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: CapnCrunch43

The reason I asked about the loaders seat in the Challenger (2) is, during Operation Desert Storm we had the British 1st Armored to our right flank. After the ground war, we had the chance to climb all over each others tanks, see and taste each others rations, and just talk for a short bit. I remember climbing into the tank and seeing that rail. I don't remember much else besides that (been quite a while!).

In the M1, the driver has to sit, as if in a reclining chair(almost laying down!) when the hatch is closed. It was like being in a torture chamber for me, because I didn't find out that I was somewhat claustrophobic until I was introduced to this tiny cramped space! There was no problem being in the turret when the hatch was closed, but I could only manage a short while in the driver's compartment, unless it was absolutely necessary. If I was forced to sleep in the "hole", you could be sure that at some time I would wake up screaming mad!

During my first gunnery exercise, I couldn't bring myself to close the hatch all the way. We pulled into the firing berm to do a test fire, and I had no idea what was actually going on. Suddenly I heard the gunner shout "On the way", but didn't have enough time to close the hatch! Needless to say, in the drivers position after that, I payed close attention to what was going on in the turret!

Oh, this sounds scary. I've talked to people who has been in the Norwegian leoapard and they talk about the same as you, laying down almost like in an reclining chairs when driving the ting,and it beeing almost unberable in the tiny space.. We just had a sad accident during the Cold Response training that's going on here in Norway, A leopard drove off the road and into a small icy pond and sank, 2 were killed, they could not get the escape hatch opened it seems, and died , the two in the tower managed to get out.Prior to this they had removed the 'snowshoes' on the belts so it wold not tear up the road.

here you barely can se the barrel.
http://www.vg.no/pub/vgart.hbs?artid=179330
http://www.vg.no/pub/vgart.hbs?artid=120515
some other pics

http://www.dagbladet.no/nyheter/2006/03/22/461454.html
http://www.dagbladet.no/nyheter/2006/03/17/460952.html
http://www.aftenposten.no/nyheter/ir...cle1252621.ece

Old 03-22-2006, 07:45 PM
CapnCrunch43

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

That is a very sad story, Sollie.

It goes to show that even during training, things can and do go wrong. Soldiers and crews often train to tough standards that include such things as maneuver with little rest. Accidents such as this are a tragedy and our condolences go out to the families of the deceased soldiers.

I'm sure that most modern tanks have some type of crew compartment heater. In the M1, this heater is a separate unit that is located in a small space next to the driver in the hull. The exhaust could leak into the crew compartment if the unit had a faulty exhaust connection. The fumes would usually affect the driver first. On at least one occasion that I remember, an accident in our unit was caused by these fumes incapacitating the driver. So, you can see how something like the Cold Response accident could happen.
Old 03-23-2006, 02:05 AM
Der-Held

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

And thats one of the reasons im not sure if i want to be a Panzer Komander if something goes wrong it will go wrong with deadly results.And yes its a sad story,if the hadent removed those "snowshoes" that tragedy might have been avoided.I found some Pictures of an German Leopard 2A4 getting stuck in a big mud hole,the front left Half of the Leo was under water/mud luckly nobody got hurt . here is the link to that webpage (they have some technical problems so it might be a while untile that webpage is back online)
http://www.kampfpanzer.de/
they have a lot of Picture gallery`s about every Battle tank in the world.