Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

HENG LONG OWNERS ONLY THREAD!

Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

HENG LONG OWNERS ONLY THREAD!

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2008, 08:54 AM
calvinlo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: HENG LONG OWNERS ONLY THREAD!

ORIGINAL: Gex

Hi all, new to the forum here, waiting on a walker bulldog to be delivered, my first RC tank, and really my first rc vehicle since I was a kid (many moons ago). I don't have very much modeling experience, but I'm really fascinated with how deeply one can get into this RC tanking business and I'm hoping to get into it despite being a novice. Any basic advice for a newbie? I did order metal tracks and gearboxes from mato, as metal seems the way to go from what I've been reading, but are there any metal road wheel or susbension upgrades for bulldogs?
Hi Gex! Welcome to the Bottomless Pit...

As mentioned by wackywheelz, there are not many upgrades available for the Bulldog or the Pershing. For some strange reasons, most of the upgrades focus on Axis tanks e.g. Tiger, Panzer III. Oh well...
Old 07-03-2008, 09:02 AM
Gex

Thanks guys...I guess from watching a few videos the suspension does look pretty good, just curious is all. I don't even have the tank yet but I love it already
Old 07-06-2008, 01:58 PM
madbadger

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

hello everyone.....has anyone fitted the metal track tensioners http://www.tankzone.co.uk/images/tam/T1/idler_mount.jpg http://www.tankzone.co.uk/images/tam...ler_mount2.jpg onto the tiger 1......one track on my tiger keeps jumping the idler wheel and the track inner teeth run inside the idler....if i take a link out, its very tight and the suspension doesn't work very well. I though fitting the track tensioners would help me fine tune the original track configuration (track length) rather than run it tight.....i have a feeling the idler is out of alignment, im running it on short cut grass, on concrete its ok it doesn't jump

Kev
Old 07-06-2008, 02:12 PM
ManMachine

Madbadger: Yes, I have that track tension metal things on my Tiger. I'm pleased and it works well. But I have one bad thing to say about em', it was quite a trouble istalling them.. the manual I got together with the track tensioners was quite poor.
Anyhow, you need to saw of some of the original mounts, then drill a fairly large hole in the hull and you will need to remove the two bottom screw mount pillars (otherwise the track tensioners will not fit). I Havent noticed any chage in chassi stability so far, but It might be a result of my enhanced aluminium bars for the suspension.
Old 07-06-2008, 02:18 PM
madbadger

sounds quite drastic manmachine.....im positive the track keeps jumping because the idle wheel is slightly off line. I cant think of any other way of getting it right, the other side track looks really slack but works perfectly, having the other side tight will strain the gearbox if im not careful, i put in a 4600 battery and ran it for over an hour with the track tight, seems ok but it doesnt look right, i think i will bit the bullet and try the tensioners along with the metal suspension mounts.

Kev
Old 07-06-2008, 02:39 PM
ManMachine

Sounds drastic yes, but it's not that dramatic realy But, I used the "trial and error" method due to poor instructions. It can be much more easely done I'm sure of that.

I can take a few pictures for you and write a few lines how I installed it. Just say the word mate.
Old 07-06-2008, 02:52 PM
madbadger

that would be so helpfull manmachine, i can pass on some upgrades on the mainboard for you as well, i fitted a cooling fan and a bigger heat sink (after the first board blew after 10mins use!!)

have a look on this page http://www.tankzone.co.uk/cart/hl_t1.htm

they are selling the track tensioners, and it looks like another type, but im not sure if its for a different tank, your opinion would be appreciated

Kev
Old 07-08-2008, 04:11 PM
madbadger

Now the gun is making a loud screeching noise and sometimes wont fire.....anyone have any ideas or shall i put some light oil down the barrel, will this lubricate the mechanism? or wreck it? i

i have heard many HL users complain about the smoke units not working, mine has worked correctly from day one, i did put to much oil in once, the trick is turn the tank upside down and let the oil run out, i haven't put any oil in for hours now and it smokes like a good one!!!!

Kev
Old 07-08-2008, 04:17 PM
swathdiver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

See my build thread, I put the tensioners in and left the posts intact. Well most of them anyway!
Old 07-08-2008, 04:23 PM
madbadger

hi swathdiver......where can i find the thread?

cheers

Kev
Old 07-08-2008, 04:36 PM
swathdiver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Right near this one! [link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_6582316/anchors_6582316/mpage_1/key_panzerkampfwagen/anchor/tm.htm#6582316]Here[/link]
Old 07-08-2008, 05:32 PM
Wozwasnt

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

madbadger

Do you have metal tracks?

If you do then you'll need metal suspension arms as the plastic ones flex too much which'll make the track come off.

Old 07-08-2008, 06:23 PM
YHR

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: Wozwasnt

madbadger

Do you have metal tracks?

If you do then you'll need metal suspension arms as the plastic ones flex too much which'll make the track come off.

I haven't changed my suspension arms, use metal tracks, and so far I haven't had any issues with the tracks coming off, so I think you may just need to align what you got.
Old 07-09-2008, 06:46 AM
militarymight

Hi Guys
notice that alot of you seem to use Tankzone in the Uk. They have many products all im asfraid way over priced. I know as i am a seller on ebay. My prices are far more competitve. The business grew out of a hobby and indeed is still growing. Just aquired a new supplier that manufacturers fabric flags will be selling 1 16 scale at first, all WW2 including the correct USA flag for the time period as well as naval and airforce flags.

give me a try out guys i do international shipping as well.
Find me under militarymightuk-gb on ebay
Old 07-09-2008, 07:41 AM
wackywheelz

I sway as many UK people to you as I can, mighty, because a) your prices and service and b) I'd hate to see them end up buying from Tankzone
Old 07-09-2008, 07:42 AM
Panzerfaust77

ORIGINAL: militarymight

Hi Guys
notice that alot of you seem to use Tankzone in the Uk. They have many products all im asfraid way over priced. I know as i am a seller on ebay. My prices are far more competitve. The business grew out of a hobby and indeed is still growing. Just aquired a new supplier that manufacturers fabric flags will be selling 1 16 scale at first, all WW2 including the correct USA flag for the time period as well as naval and airforce flags.

give me a try out guys i do international shipping as well.
Find me under militarymightuk-gb on ebay
Hello I've bought stuff from you before. You're still a bit pricey though.
Old 07-09-2008, 07:46 AM
militarymight

sorry to hear that i do of course have to have a mark up but thought i was quite competitive as i always check other sellers on ebay and price acordingly even if it means me just making a slight profit.
which items am i pricey on please.
Old 07-09-2008, 07:57 AM
Panzerfaust77

sorry to hear that i do of course have to have a mark up but thought i was quite competitive as i always check other sellers on ebay and price acordingly even if it means me just making a slight profit.
which items am i pricey on please.
Well I just had a quick look; for example you're selling 4 Panzer III suspension springs for £1.45 with postage at £1.25. These are standard, generic springs that just happen to be the right diameter but have to be cut down anyway. Ordinarily I doubt anyone could sell 4 small springs for that price on ebay. And the postage is a bit steep too. I mean really how much does it cost to post 4 tiny springs in the UK?

I'm probably splitting hairs here. More ebay sellers means more variety and that's a good thing and if you're buying this stock specifically from other RC-Tank related sellers then I can understand the markup. The tanks themselves are fairly cheap on ebay (although outragous next to what they pay in the US and Australia but that's rip-off Britain for you) but the parts, even basic spare parts and very expensive. In many cases it's actually cheaper to buy a whole new tank to get a spare part than to source that part itself!
Old 07-09-2008, 08:09 AM
militarymight

the postage you have to remember does not just cover the stamp but the envelope as well, plus the printing ie business cards and self addressed stickers all bought by me from the printers.
The springs has a mark up of course but are in line with other ebay sellers.
Buying the tanks from china or asia is cheaper except you then pay for postage. USA is more expensive and when you work out the shipping plus the customs tax it doesnt work out any cheaper at all.
The products are indeed in line with the current sellers prices.
Buying a stock tank for spares can be cheaper som its horses for corses.
Old 07-09-2008, 09:56 AM
militarymight

Im looking to set up my own web site dedicated to rc armour and other items. Do people prefer to buy from a web site or ebay.
Old 07-09-2008, 10:33 AM
wackywheelz

I guess it comes down to the following...

EBAY
Pros: Mostly safe, PayPal protection etc. Feedback system to show sellers ability, what is ebay-listed is "in stock". Huge exposure/customer potential
Cons: Usually slightly higher prices to cover PayPal, listing and final value fees

ONLINE STORE
Pros: Generally cheaper than ebay, as no listing/final fees involved. Store has an actual physical-traceable address and is most-often a registered business.
Cons: Can't "judge" how good the service is (no feedback system), can have items listed which are not in stock/on-backorder. Lack of exposure (needs advertising)
Old 07-09-2008, 10:50 AM
militarymight

what do others think and do people have preferences
Old 07-09-2008, 11:21 AM
hdbeast

what do others think and do people have preferences
I'm in the US and have bought from you also.
But I will buy from a web site first and E-bay only if I can't find it any place else.

Gary
Old 07-09-2008, 01:02 PM
Dmon1996

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I hope I am allowed to post- I have three tanks coming in next week, but currently have none. I have purchased the two pack s&s Tiger and M26 from Raidentech, and bought a bare bones Panther off eBay. The Tiger is actually for my Dad, the other two are mine. I am loving your forum, learned far more here than anywhere else on the internet. I am a long-time R/C nut along with my Dad, but this is the first foray into armoured off-road!

If anyone has any advice for me, I'd appreciate it. It can be model-specific or general, I don't mind. I've already read on break-in and not to overfill the smoker, things like that. I also read that buying the Panther is a real letdown as it is not up to the usual level of accuracy from Heng Long models like the Tiger and M26, but we have to shoot at something, right? Anyway, any advice or experiences are much appreciated.

D'mon1996
Old 07-09-2008, 02:16 PM
hdbeast

Welcome Dmon1996

My advice, and it sounds like you have already started is to read past posts on the tanks you have coming. When you have the tanks ask your questions, there are many helping hands on this forum, I have the M26, well modified and it's one of my favorites.

Gary

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.