Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Need advice ,1/6 Tiger

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2006, 07:23 PM
briz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need advice ,1/6 Tiger

I did some "run tests" on my FOA,1/6 Tiger today......kinda dissapointed.[&o]
I used the tamiya King Tiger MFU and DMD with 2 very good quality 7.2(3800mAh) battery...one for MFU and one for DMD.
The motors are 12vdc rated made for car windows or seats.
http://www.allelectronics.com/cgi-bin/item/DCM-243L/400/12_VDC_GEARHEAD_MOTOR_(LEFT-HAND_VERSION)_.html
The problem is that it just does not have a lot of power/torgue and just runs very slow even at full throttle.
The DMD performed very well otherwise, as it did not even heat up after about 20 minutes of continous running in freshly mown grass.
The motors DID heat up quite a bit...but not enough to be concerned with.I also have 15amp fuses between DMD and each motor, as well as between Battery and DMD......NONE were blown

What I would like to do is put my Vantec controller with a 12vdc battery for main drive power and still keep the Tamiya electronics (with seperate 7.2v battery)for sound and all the other effects....rotation...cannon...machine gun.
Is it possible to use some kind of "Y" connector for the radio(Throttle and rudder), so it controls both Tamiya AND Vantec controller????Could I use two of these(1 for throttle 1 for rudder)?

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...=RF&search3=Go

I really would like to keep the proportional sound that the DMD offers......its just too underpowered for a 70lb + tank

Any ideas? thanks guys
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Qo40295.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	58.7 KB
ID:	532948   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yu63732.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	56.8 KB
ID:	532949  
Old 09-30-2006, 07:35 PM
icecreamslick
My Feedback: (9)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Need advice ,1/6 Tiger

Maybe those motors are not strong enough. [] I have heard people mention rechargeable hand-drill motors, but I cannot say anything for a fact.

The 21st Century Stuart is 1:6 scale, but it only weighs about half of what your Tiger weighs, so I don't know if those motors would help. However, thanks to Sownare, I have an extra set of motors and gearboxes that I can give to you free of charge.

If you want to give them a try, send me a PM with your mailing address and I will send them off sometime next week. [sm=thumbup.gif]

I wish I had some real advice for you (as far as the "Y" connector), but I'm sure you know more about this stuff than me.

Jason

Old 09-30-2006, 09:07 PM
briz

Further testing shows that speed definetly increases when tank is ran on concrete and without the upper hull and turret(about 15lbs).
Motors stayed much cooler this time around(less workload without that 15lbs).I guess my motors just arent strong enough[&o]
Running in grass slowed it down as well.
On a positive note...I am getting very good run times...about 45minutes so far(on one 7.2 v 3800mAh battery[8D])
Too bad its just at about 1/2 the speed I would like[]
Old 09-30-2006, 09:49 PM
tankmandan

greeting's briz i have a 1/9 abrams and i'am using the dewalt 12vdc motors in they run it very well with lot's of power and torqe with large gel battery if i remember the place i got them from was www.robotzone.com or www.robotmarketplace.com for about $50.00 with frieght for 2 motor's they have motor's up to 24vdc if needed i would try going up in voltage as in 12vdc for drive motor's and leave the 7.2 to run your electronics i tried to use smaller motors but did not work very well just sluggish tank[:@]DAN
Old 10-03-2006, 11:49 PM
showa

briz
If you haven't yet, I would suggest checking out this site...You may find answers there..I know there were a couple guys w/sound and 12v power.... Might help...

www.rctankcombat.com
Old 10-04-2006, 10:51 AM
Island Heli

I used the motors/gear boxes that came stock with my former FOA Tiger and thay worked great.

In case you missed my post from back in May:

[link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_4331482/anchors_4334421/mpage_1/key_/anchor/tm.htm#4334421]FOA post[/link]
Old 10-04-2006, 02:28 PM
DAP

I used 2 starter motors like the airplane guys use to start their planes. Take off the cone from the shaft and bypass the switch.
They are 12 volt and fairly strong. Not very expensive. A couple of R/C truck CV joints & drive shafts from the bargin bin and good to go. That was on a 65 pound Sankyo type 74MBT.

Two more days and my Armortek early Tiger 1 arrives. Woohooo!
Old 10-07-2006, 08:58 PM
briz

Well,
These motors are definetly NOT powerful enough for a 1/ 6 tank!!!,even with 12vdc and a Vantec RDFR22
Worked fine with-out the top hull & turret(on concrete) but failed miserably with all the extra weight(forget about on grass[&o])
Plus, I sheered off the JB weld that was holding the right drive to the shaft....[&o]
These motors have a stainless shaft that is very short and has NO flat spots for a key[&o](just about impossible to drill thru as well)
I think I might give up on 1/6 as this thing is also a major pain to move around.
Old 10-07-2006, 09:31 PM
subarubrat
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Those motors are also sold by Electronic Gold Mine for about $20 for two. I use them in my backyard armor Abrams which weighs in at around 180# for the turret rotation but they are definatly not suitable for main drive motors. What you need are wheelchair gearhead motors. They can run hundreds new but if you look around you will often find them being wholesaled or cleared for very cheap prices. I use a Vantec myself at 24v with the wheelchair motors in this tank and the RDFR is bolted to the main aluminum hull as a heatsink and it doesn't even get warm. I would bet that the wheelchair motors are drawing less current than the overloaded wormgears you are using.
Old 10-12-2006, 09:39 PM
briz

The "Y" connector works fine(both Vantec and Tamiya DMD on same radio),now, just need to find better drive motors.
All this $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$[&o]
Old 10-16-2006, 09:43 PM
briz

Well...here goes some more $$$$$(about $90 with shipping from evil bay)
Just won these tonight....they are 24vdc wheelchair motors!
They are HUGE and weigh 14 pounds each!(according to seller,hopefully its 14 lbs for BOTH)
I will need to run 2 x12vdc batteries in series.The Vantec can handle 32V I believe.
If these dont work.......I REALLY give up[>:]
ALSO:
I saw on another forum ,that someone has been using 12vdc on the DMD,with NO ill effects!!!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Hf97751.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	9.8 KB
ID:	542453  
Old 11-12-2006, 12:16 PM
Leo2A6 Owner

Wheelchair motors are the best and most common to use on the 1/6 tanks. After you add all the goodies inside along with the weight of the battery and model itself you will need something with alot of low end torque to get it over obstacles.
Old 11-12-2006, 12:27 PM
navspook

Looks like it should work. You might want to double check with Vantec to make sure it'll handle the power requirements. You can call and talk with one of their guys in the shop -- very very helpful that way.

Can't wait to see you Tiger running!
Old 11-12-2006, 03:12 PM
schutzstaffel

did you try to run your motors on 12v ?
before buying other ones...
an electrical motor will overheat if their is not enough power.
my 2cents
Old 11-12-2006, 04:24 PM
briz

Yes I tried 12v.....original motors just are not powerful enough.
My problem now, is that the new motors are HUGE and weigh 14 lbs each. So I need to figure out how to mount them.
The ABS plastic of the FOA is not strong enough to mount to(flexes) so I need to make some sort of bracket to spread out the wheigh and stress's of these monsters
I am going to run these on 24V which my Vantec can handle,no problem.
I have kept the tamiya electronics in for sound,turret and barrel elevation....all to be done later.
Old 11-12-2006, 04:32 PM
Leo2A6 Owner

Make a sheet metal plate with the brackets on it to bolt to the lower hull. this would reinforce the area that flexes. Or you could add a few layers of fiberglass to the inside to add more rigidity but still save on weight.