Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

VS tank track upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2006, 12:06 PM
Turbobearcat

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default VS tank track upgrade

Hard plastic linked tracks
I have seen these on their website and now on Tower hobbies, and I ordered a set for my Abrams..

Has anybody used these on their tank yet and what should I expect when I do run it?

From what I have heard in the past was since it's not as tight as the rubber tracks that it's not hard on the batteries and the gearbox, which makes sense to me that if your not
pulling as much as a load your not going to use as much power..

Let me know people! or else I will be the first person here to do so by the end of the week.

Mark
Old 12-18-2006, 02:39 PM
shenlonco
My Feedback: (2)

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Default RE: VS tank track upgrade

links work good on some things and rubber works better on some things.
Old 12-18-2006, 03:21 PM
Thorvald

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

VSTank M1 Individual Track Links work good on a VSTank Abrams.

VSTank Leopard Individual Track Links don't fit properly on VSTank Leopard 2A6, they are either too loose or too tight.

And yes they are VERY slippery on smooth flat surfaces (hardwood etc), work great outdoors though.
Old 12-18-2006, 03:45 PM
shenlonco
My Feedback: (2)

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

VSTank Leopard Individual Track Links don't fit properly on VSTank Leopard 2A6, they are either too loose or too tight.

Yes put them on tight run them a little bit then they streatch & losen up and run perfely.
Old 12-18-2006, 07:21 PM
Turbobearcat

Well later this week I will run them as hard as I can :-)
Old 12-18-2006, 07:31 PM
mikeyt

these are individual links on vs Abrams with foam pads glued on 86 links per side they work inside and outside and look good
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Db84268.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	108.8 KB
ID:	579739   Click image for larger version

Name:	Av70063.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	104.8 KB
ID:	579740   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pu51217.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	125.2 KB
ID:	579741  
Old 12-19-2006, 11:19 AM
Thorvald

ORIGINAL: mikeyt

these are individual links on vs Abrams with foam pads glued on 86 links per side they work inside and outside and look good
I swear there was a website selling rubber pads pre-cut for the 1/24 tank tracks, you just had to glue them on.

I'll have to dig up the link....
Old 12-19-2006, 09:38 PM
Shagnifico

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/fb.a...y=track%2Cpads
Old 12-20-2006, 12:53 PM
Turbobearcat

I got a phone call from my local hobby shop.. my tracks are in!!!!!!

I hope to pick them up Thursday or friday for sure..
Old 12-21-2006, 09:38 PM
Turbobearcat

So far the traction is good...well worth $17!!

Hope to play with it some more this coming weekend..
Now if it will only snow soon
[8D]
Old 04-22-2012, 02:56 AM
nexusys

hahaha found this post about upgrading the tank tracks... i decided to create my own rubber pads. a bit painful though as i have to cut every piece.

This is before the upgrade, i used to spray this wth black rubber.

These are the pieces im talking about

And the result is

And yes, it can climb on almost everything in front of it.

Old 04-23-2012, 08:46 PM
vstankindo

you repainted the leo ? hmm... nice tips, but my abrams and leo is already rubber threads...
Old 04-23-2012, 10:44 PM
B.A.D.A.S.S.Force

ORIGINAL: nexusys

hahaha found this post about upgrading the tank tracks... i decided to create my own rubber pads. a bit painful though as i have to cut every piece.
And yes, it can climb on almost everything in front of it.
Very cool tread mod nexusys, I should probably get the plastic tracks for my Leo2 A6 & (3) M1A2 VSTanks at some point & do the same mod ... the rubber tracks can be ok, but they slip off way too much for my liking & just don't look or feel right ... like wearing a rubber band!

Old 05-03-2012, 10:25 PM
nexusys

Yes i repainted it... i have 2 Leo, one with original paint, and this is another one i re-paint from scratch.

I would suggest you to only buy the LEO's tracks for both Leo and Abrams that if you want to upgrade the tracks like mine though (not so sure if LEO track fit nicely on ABrams...i tried it before, but couldnt remember.). I still couldnt figure out on how to get the rubber in the allocated space. See my Abrams below. look at the tracks.

So far, i tried to use the liquid rubber , and fill it in (bought from hardware shop, the rubber paint to patch the roof top holes). It looks a bit weird. Still wont dry properly. I'll test it outdoor prolly tomorrow.

But the Leo with the upgrade tracks i did, works flawlessly... even in wet condition, but havent tried to climb on anything under the wet surface though.

DO you know where can i post some of the tanks photos? you know like mix photo gallery for tanks?

Old 05-04-2012, 11:27 AM
M1A2 Commander

Hi Everyone, Just wanted to give all VsTank fans some additional information on plastic tracks that’s not mentioned in this thread. There are 2 types of plastic hard tracks on the market today for the VSP M1A2 Abrams and the Leopard.

The first type is the heard plastic tracks that snap together and are sold by some retailers here in the US and have been around for the past few years now. The other type of hard tracks is the new hard plastic Pinned type for both the VSP M1A2 Abrams and the Leopard.

These new hard plastic Pinned tracks are designed just like the hard tracks for the T-72 and King Tiger but these new tracks are much more detailed. Each pad is painted black to give the tracks a more realistic look to them. I just hate to be the person painting these tracks! Each track link is held together by a metal pins, making for a much stronger connection.

Leopard 2: www.artistichobbies.com/proddetail.php
M1A2 Abrams: www.artistichobbies.com/proddetail.php

Unfortunately, VS has only made a limited amount of these new plastic Pinned tracks and once gone, we have no idea when more will be available.

The good news for us is that about two months ago, we asked VS if we could buy them once available and they kept their word. Our shipment came in the other day and we believe we are the only retailer in the US that have them. I personal feel these are the best looking tracks that I have seen from VS to date, just wish they would make a pinned track set for the Tiger I now.

We no longer will be selling the plastic tracks that snap together instead, we will be selling these new Pinned hard tracks when available for us to buy. Hope this information adds additional insight on this subject.
Old 05-04-2012, 06:54 PM
nexusys

Hi Commander, this is a good thing to know....for me personally, i think this track best for display, not for running outdoor, It looks good, dont get me wrong..... i owned one of em bought directly from toyeast, but i have no idea they made for Abrams too... so, with the abrams, are the pads raised like Leo 2? because the Abrams track i have now, (see photo i posted above) there's no pad , just a frame of the pad holder... do you know what i mean?

by the way, for the fans out there, this is how Leo's track looks like. Close up.

It looks very real... inside out...
Old 05-05-2012, 08:04 AM
M1A2 Commander

Hi nexusys, Yes, The Abrams pads are raised but they are plastic pads, not rubber. The tracks and pads are molded as one unit. The tops of the raised pads are painted black to simulate rubber pads, but only the tops of the pads are painted black. The pads on the Leopard tracks are raised slightly more than on the Abrams.

For those that don’t know, the picture above of nexusys Abrams, these tracks are considered the old plastic hard tracks (snap together) and are still great tracks in my opinion. They came from VS already pre-assembled but came with no pads, unlike these new pinned hard tracks. The stock rubber tracks that come with all VS Abrams also have no pads. I still have the rubber tracks on my Abrams because there better on tile, concrete and hardwood floors.

By the way nexusys, nice looking Abrams and Leopard tanks, The Leopard is awesome, nice detail work!
Old 05-05-2012, 09:29 AM
nexusys

Awesome! good info for Abrams track... just what i was expecting! hopefully toyeast will produce and supply it until today.

yeah, i find it anoying to use the plastic tracks, only can be used on sand etc... not good for climbing nor tiles.

Thanks Commander, just a fictional Leo... i put so much effort into it. thank you again... how's yours? any customization? any photos to share?
Old 05-05-2012, 09:52 AM
M1A2 Commander

ORIGINAL: nexusys

Thanks Commander, just a fictional Leo... i put so much effort into it. thank you again... how's yours? any customization? any photos to share?
I only have an Abrams, The only pictures I have at this time is what’s on our website and is also on display at our office location in Texas. My Abrams has the old 06 MCU board inside and it’s a BB shooting tank. Just wish it was an IR tank instead of BB shooting one.

www.artistichobbies.com/themaking/themaking.php

My Abrams turret can rotated 360 by modifying the turrets rotating ring and I also upgraded the suspension springs. Made lots of custom part for the outside of the tank shown in pictures.

Old 05-05-2012, 11:43 AM
B.A.D.A.S.S.Force

ORIGINAL: M1A2 Commander
I only have an Abrams, The only pictures I have at this time is what’s on our website and is also on display at our office location in Texas. My Abrams has the old 06 MCU board inside and it’s a BB shooting tank. Just wish it was an IR tank instead of BB shooting one.
My Abrams turret can rotated 360 by modifying the turrets rotating ring and I also upgraded the suspension springs. Made lots of custom part for the outside of the tank shown in pictures.
A 360­° turret mod for the VSTanks would be awesome, but without adding a rotary electrical joint / collector / electric swivel for all the wiring, I would not like to forget which direction & how many times I have been rotating it, haha

Very cool mods you did to your VSTank M1A2, looks great ... however, unless I somehow missed them, I have to admit a bit of an anti-climax when reaching the end of the article ... great close-up detail shots of many of the things you did to mod the tank throughout the article, but not any pictures or multiple angle shots of the entire completed tank to show the full effect of all those fantastic mods at the end???

ArtisticHobbies article quote, "We will add more details and pictures in the future." ... hey, it's the future ... (assuming the tank still exists in your immediate vacinity) time to take out the old digital camera & take those full shot multiple angle pictures of the completed project , I know all of us 1/24 scale tankers would greatly appreciate seeing what can be done & how great these smaller tanks can look when adding such a realistic touch to modding them!

Old 05-05-2012, 12:08 PM
M1A2 Commander

ORIGINAL: B.A.D.A.S.S.Force
ArtisticHobbies article quote, "We will add more details and pictures in the future." ... hey, it's the future ... (assuming the tank still exists in your immediate vacinity) time to take out the old digital camera & take those full shot multiple angle pictures of the completed project , I know all of us 1/24 scale tankers would greatly appreciate seeing what can be done & how great these smaller tanks can look when adding such a realistic touch to modding them!
Hi B.A.D.A.S.S.Force, I totally agree, time for some new pictures. So I will try to have some new photos up by Tuesday. Yes with the 360 mod, you must be aware and not forget which direction your turning the turret or your in for some pain.

Old 05-06-2012, 04:59 AM
nexusys

lol..!!!! BADASS, i second that!! i want more honest tips!!!! Thanks Commander
Old 05-08-2012, 08:26 AM
M1A2 Commander

ORIGINAL: B.A.D.A.S.S.Force
As promised, I have updated our pictures on our website of our VS M1A2 Abrams tank. Many new pictures for all you VsTank fans out there. ENJOY!

Either later today or by the end of tomorrow (Wednesday), We will have additional close-up pictures of these new pin-linked hard tracks on our website. This will give you all a better idea in what these new tracks look like.

Leopard 2: www.artistichobbies.com/proddetail.php
M1A2 Abrams: www.artistichobbies.com/proddetail.php

Old 05-08-2012, 12:11 PM
B.A.D.A.S.S.Force

ORIGINAL: M1A2 Commander

As promised, I have updated our pictures on our website of our VS M1A2 Abrams tank. Many new pictures for all you VsTank fans out there. ENJOY!
Excellent stuff, the full shot pictures of the tank looked fantastic, amazing job on making some VSTank eye-candy!

Old 05-09-2012, 12:15 AM
nexusys

Commander, im very pleased to look at all those details you have on that Abrams.....youre missing the tank tracks... that will complete the looks!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.