Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Panther run

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2007, 11:40 PM
pantiger man

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Panther run

Hi guys took my new panther for a run today went very good great offroad and a very fun tank to play with while my beloved bulldog is out of order.

Ive made a quick camo netting for it to and put a new commander in him.

Old 02-07-2007, 11:44 PM
pantiger man

Default RE: Panther run

Heres some more pics guys.

Comments greatly appreciated.
Old 02-08-2007, 03:50 AM
Benny Boy

When you said camo net i was like sickman
Old 02-08-2007, 04:03 AM
briz

Give the guy a break.....at least he tried......?
What kind of figure is the commander?
Does'nt look right to me.....but what do I know?
And yes...the camo netting looks a little weird/stiff......try some cotton gauze painted up camo, may look better than burlap or whatever that stuff is you have on there.
Old 02-08-2007, 04:09 AM
The_Stuff

maybe try cutting it into smaller pieces that would look more suiting on a tank?

i dont really know what it should look like.
Old 02-08-2007, 04:16 AM
Benny Boy

Why dont you string the hession
Old 02-08-2007, 05:02 AM
pantiger man

Thanks for the advice guys yeh the reason for it not lookin so good is cause it was only a rush job and the commander isnt that scale but that dosent mind me.
Old 02-08-2007, 06:49 AM
Wozwasnt

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

LOL it looks like you're trying to disguise your Panther as an Hetzer.

[link=http://www.onwar.com/tanks/germany/profiles/phetzer.htm]Click Here[/link]
Old 02-08-2007, 08:23 AM
pattoncommander

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey guys,
Give guy a chance. My first model of a German tank was no prize winner, but I was corrected, did some reading and learned. That what these sites are all about...having fun, displaying our work and education. Many of us have expertise in many fields as modelling, electronics, history and what-ever. I am fortunate in having worked in the field for many years using `1;1 scale tanks and am able and happy to relay my experience to those who didn't make a life of living in a tank and getting shot at.

On the Panther ( and most all WW II German tanks) the camo net should go. The Wehrmacht did not use many camo nets but relied a great deal of natural camouflage. Tree limbs, bushes, rubbing on mud and even walking horses in front of a tank covered with hay
to simulate a wagon were common. Some camo nets were used in Afrika as there was nothing in the way or natural stuff, and it provided a bit of shade, other that the only shade available from the radio antenna. Natural camo can be used from the area you are in...not using pine branches when you are sitting in Maple tree forest, and discarded on the way out. .
Camo nets are "pain in the exterrior",,,,very time consuming to set up, need changing of garnishing to suit the area you are in, hang up on everything when you try to move it, has to be staked down to hide the profile of the tank, and just taking it down and stowing it when you have to move in a hurry-ups and putting it in a place it won't burn or be set on fire my enemy MG tracers is a real hassle.
Using a camo net as you have it, would be a severe hinderance to moving. The gunner and driver would not be able to see, it is smooth like a fresh pressed sheet and would actually attract attention. it it would eventually hang up on a track and be torn to shreds. If you use a net, start at the TC hatch, leave openings for entry/exit and above all keep the line of sight for gunners optics clear. You can use tree limbs or stakes to elevate the net and allow movement under it. Stake it down at different angles away from the tank, and not 50-50 even...leave the tank NOT in the middle, but off center. If someone sees the net, a hit in the center may have a better chance of missing or hitting a not-so-vital spot. Don't leave the camo net plain....paint it dark tan and "garnish"with green, brown and black. If you use natural camo, make sure the limbs and bushes are upright as they normally grow and not just hang them upside down on a tank part.

Hope this helps. Good luck.

Bill

Old 02-08-2007, 10:26 AM
Kabul Tanker

Hey Pantiger... there is nothing wrong with burlap, hession... I used it all teh time to cam up my equipment. i.e. rucksack, helmet, gilley suit, etc. The thing about hession is it gets better with age and wear. It roughens up, freys, gets dirty, etc. Even OD green worked in Afghanistan, a desert environment, once it got dirty. FOr your net you could tie in a bunch of single strands or simply rough it up and roll it in dirt... Its actually an idea I di not think of because I thought the scale would not work.

BUT THE MAIN THING IS......IT DOES THE JOB....

From a distance the burlap you have used breaks up teh shape of the tank, especially the turret. In a rolling landscape... the tank would blend in great.

Its not about the LCF when you get in country... its about if it works!!!!

KT
Old 02-08-2007, 11:32 AM
Wozwasnt

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Don't forget Pantiger Man and Bennyboy know each other, so they may post things to each other that other people think is a bit off.
Old 02-08-2007, 01:36 PM
Rambeast

LOL I kinda like the rush job you did! Is that a GI Joe figure. Now we know, and knowing is half the battle [sm=thumbup.gif]
Old 02-09-2007, 12:35 AM
pantiger man

i dont know what the commander is all i know it is off one of my army toy boats and thanks for the great advice guys it really does help.
Old 02-25-2007, 09:31 PM
noddywa

HI..All Dropped in to say Hi and see if anything new is going on ..dropped my panther yesterday out of the back of the 4x4 and broke the turret tip other wise still in one piece ..once fixed I'll see if it still runs ok..

could anybody answer this ??
sometime ago I saw somewhere a picture of a tank hull with a monster truck canopy on top and looked quite cool any one else seen this ?? or have a picture to share
thanks..a bulldog on the way soon..Woof
thanks
Noddywa
Old 02-26-2007, 02:14 AM
pantiger man

Gday mate could u please tell me where u bought ya bulldog from.
Old 02-26-2007, 02:49 AM
noddywa

Hi it seems likely to be ebay any day now unless there is a cash crisis and it's needed somewhere else
as I would like to find out if it's as good as they say it is and more reliable than some of the others
Old 02-26-2007, 02:52 AM
noddywa

HI..if your really serious about tanking have a look at this website in NZ MMMMMM Big Tanks MMMM really big tanks Drool drool !!!

OOPS Sorry thats monstertanks.com.au
Old 02-26-2007, 04:52 AM
pantiger man

I throught that shop was in aus.
Old 02-26-2007, 06:00 AM
noddywa

HI,,I might have made a mistake , but some of the links point to NZ
There is No contact info other than an email..in the excitement I forgot to ask where their from
MMMMMM Tanks BIG TANKS