Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

My ultimate HL airsoft upgrade

Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

My ultimate HL airsoft upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2007, 10:15 AM
pattonrocked45

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: My ultimate HL airsoft upgrade

ok a little research shows that it is for IR gun. thats no fun. Is there any laws saying that this makes our tanks guns or anything?
Old 02-25-2007, 10:33 AM
Brimauster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

An elevation system is not so hard to do. All you need is a micro size servo and connecting linkage. For those people doing all this with stock HL electronics, I can offer no assistance. I took out every shred of the HL stuff and put in all after-market components for two reasons:

#1 Reliability
#2 Upgradeability

My un-finished cannon mod: The wood block is only a mock-up until I can find a piece of plastic large enough to fabricate into a breech/trunnion assembly. An old bb rifle barrel will be used and the bb's fed into the breech with a 3/16" ID poly hose. A small magnet will hold the bb in place until fired by a stem valve. Air source will be 16 gram CO2 regulated down to 100-150 psi. All the propellant components will be housed in the lower hull. I'm pondering the idea of hingeing the rear hull plate to make access for changing the CO2 cylinders.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ay73735.jpg
Views:	216
Size:	52.8 KB
ID:	629337  
Old 02-25-2007, 11:40 AM
pattonrocked45

what about turret transversal? if your housing the co2 in the lower hull you will have to run a line up to the gun. perhaps with alot of slack it may work. but then again with after market electronics it might not be so hard.
Old 02-25-2007, 11:58 AM
Brimauster

Aha! Good question... I have ordered a coiled 5/32 paintball air hose to feed air to an accumulator tank in the turret, just like pscartozzi has done, which will supply the air needed to fire the shot. Since I do not plan to have 360* rotation, I won't need a whole lot of extra hose, just enough to make it to the left and right stops. And yes, with the new electronics installed there is plenty of room inside. I'll have the air cylinder on one side, and the regulator on the other to balance it. Paintball parts will work fine, but you just have to adapt it to fit a smaller barrel. Hopefully my parts will arrive this week, and I can begin working on it. I'm doing a detailed build report about everything I've done, and I'll put it up for everyone when it is done.
Old 02-25-2007, 03:45 PM
Perry S.

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The elevation is actually quite easy to accomplish. Here's a pic from early on in the construction. The only reason I didn't use it is because I only have a 4 ch radio.
Brimauster, good to see your progress. What tank and reg did you order and from where? I still need to get mine.

Name:	Qo40235.jpg
Views:	269
Size:	87.6 KB
ID:	629600  
Old 02-25-2007, 05:36 PM
pattonrocked45

that servo will work great hooked up to a throttle gimble. right-left traverse( rudder) up-down elevation (throttle) i like it
Old 02-25-2007, 05:43 PM
pattonrocked45

define coiled hose? got a pic ? is there a swivil type line available or even a standard air coupler line. something like this would alow total 360 degree rotation and also unplug fast for repairs or turret removal. plus wouldnt interfere with traverse motor. these babies rotate quite smoothly

Name:	He97112.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	29.9 KB
ID:	629683  
Old 02-27-2007, 11:27 PM
Brimauster

Those air fittings will be WAY too big. Paintball fittings are what is required for this mod. My parts arrived today, but I'm so tired right now, my brain just isn't in it tonight. I still need a few small parts such as the accumulator (if I even NEED one has yet to be determined), the firing valve, and I need to devise a way to secure the cartridge and regulator so they dont flop around and short out my new electronics[:@], and still be able to change out the empty cartridge without having to dis-assemble a whole bunch of stuff.

This forum has provided me with so many ideas, from so many talented individuals, that I have to remind myself to slow down and not get ahead of myself. The biggest thing is to think through what I want to do and come up with different methods and refinements to those methods. So, because of it's very nature, I'm going to take my time with this mod... a mistake could be costly and painful.
Old 02-28-2007, 01:08 AM
Perry S.

I'm asking again. What tank did you get and what regulator? Where did you get them?
Please
Old 02-28-2007, 06:42 PM
Brimauster

Before I list the parts I got, let me just say that I don't even know if it will work. I just got them in yesterday, but have not put anything together. I still have to get the firing valve, make an accumulator (I decided to use one), and I also need to see if my barrel will be able to accept 1/8 NPT threads. Okay, on to the shopping list...

Parts were ordered from Palmer's Pursuit Shop:

[link]https://www.palmer-pursuit.com/ecom/product_info.php/products_id/260?osCsid=07a76852baa65f73c95fce7911e92ce1[/link]

16 gram threaded CO2 "bulbs". (x5)
Micro-Rock Regulator. (x1) (1500 psi in, 0-300 psi out)
5/32 O.D. - 3/32 I.D. Coiled Hose. (x1)
16 gram -to- 1/8 NPT adapter. (x1) (You'll need this to hook into the regulator)
Assorted air fitiings to suit YOUR application.

The coiled hose requires special fittings to connect it. The ones I got are the slip-fit type, I think these are the only ones that will work with this hose. I have no idea how much pressure is in the 16 gram bulbs, but the smaller 12 gram ones have 600-800psi in them, so these might be the same, just more CO2. The regulator is required or you'll blow something up with the high pressure. I'm going to get started tonight, and I'll post my preliminary findings. Geez, I feel like a scientist or something.
Old 02-28-2007, 07:01 PM
Perry S.

Thanks Brim! I've actually been looking at pretty much the same setup. I know what you mean about posting. I held back for quite a while before I did. So much of everything is up in the air at the beginning. Plus, until you have some pic's to post of the thing working, most everyone must think your INSANE.
Anxious to see your pics.
I'm about to post pic's of my .177 caliber T34 and my 40 cal 1/6th Stuart
Old 02-28-2007, 07:18 PM
Tommygun
My Feedback: (2)

Wow, that's an awesome gun mod! I just ordered the stuff to upgrade a 1/24 Hen Long Type 90 battle tank. I'm getting rid of the supplied pushbutton type control in favor of a real TX and ESCs. I ordered 2 Dimension Engineering Sabertooth 2x5 R/C; 1 for the tracks, and another for the turret swivel/raise lower. I thought it would be sweet to have variable speed on the turret, since on a real tank it's hydraulically controlled and most likely a variable rate of movement. How do you wire two ESCs to run off the same battery? The fire function will be on a pico switch. I'm assuming your tank is a larger scale then mine, so I don't think I can upgrade the fire power like you did. Can you post more about the drive upgrades and transmitter setup?
Old 02-28-2007, 07:18 PM
Perry S.

A great place for micro valves/fittings, etc is here;

www.clippard.com

I am using their MJV-2 for my firing valves
Old 02-28-2007, 07:31 PM
Perry S.

Tommy,
I assume you were asking me. I have converted my Tiger electronics as follows
-Stock gearbox with plastic gears
-3300 mAH NiMH battery (runs forever)
-Dim Engineering 2x10 ESC, so where similiar there.
-JR 4 ch radio. I had this left over from an RC plane I landed a foot and a half underground
-I run the gun fire/loading as shwn above with one RC servo
-I rotate the turret with the stock HL mechanism but I activate it with a servo hooked to two micro switches
- I have no elevation for the barrel because I only have 4 chs
-I added a 5v regulator that I salvaged from my T34 to supply a steady current to the LED's

There are some sensitivities with regard to multiple speed controllers and battery elimination circuits so I recommend you do a quick search on BEL. I want to keep this thread 'gun-centric'!
I'll have to crack it open and take some pics
Old 02-28-2007, 10:29 PM
Brimauster

Well, the mad scientist has been busy in his laboratory this evening. I made the mounts for the air tank/regulator setup, they are still a bit rough. I will clean them up tomorrow at work. Basically just two aluminum angles 30mm wide with a curved cut-out for the tank and regulator, which by the way, happen to be the exact same diameter! (26mm). I made a little notch on either side of each bracket for a rubberband to hook onto to secure them.

They will be hot glued on the right sponson so I don't have to drill any holes. I had to grind down four of those raised "cups" one of which is used to hold the upper and lower hulls together. The other three were not used for anything that I know of. I also had to remove the corresponding screw mounting peg on the upper hull half to make room for the Tank/regulator setup.

Tomorrow I'll tackle the accumulator.

Name:	Jh16018.jpg
Views:	243
Size:	81.7 KB
ID:	631993   Click image for larger version

Name:	So42605.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	67.8 KB
ID:	631994  
Old 02-28-2007, 11:15 PM
Perry S.

Awesome Brim. I ordered the same CO2 setup tonight. Did the adapter have a pierce pin in it for the CO2 bottle? I hope so. I'll probably mount in the same location you did. That will complete my system. Glad to see someone else doing this, it has rekindled my effort.
Old 03-01-2007, 12:09 AM
Brimauster

Yes the adapter has a piercing pin... and a check valve built into it. But this check valve is not a good one. It will not let air pass through the adapter unless a little steel ball is pushed back into the adapters' body, thereby letting the CO2 out. Not a good thing for us... But don't despair! All you need to do is drill out the SMALL hole where you can see the bb. I don't remember the drill size I used but go slowly. There is a pretty strong spring in there, but the body of the adapter is reasonably deep. Don't push very hard with the drill either, It's only a thin lip you have to get through before the ball will come out. There is a tiny yellow o-ring, the steel ball and the spring. Not hard to do.

I'm gonna check with my local paintball shop and see if they have a swivel joint. I think the coil hose might take up too much room and/or get tangled in my servo and battery wires. If no dice on the swivel, I'll just have to make the coil work somehow. If it doesn't blow up, that first shot is gonna be awesome![X(]
Old 03-01-2007, 09:30 AM
ArmChairGeneral

I have read through the numerous threads regarding fighting sysytems and seen some excitement when a possible alternative to the tamiya IR system seems on the horizon. Has anyone tried this system:
http://pages.cthome.net/chioc/products.htm
Its called Battle Circuit, the reload time can be set and the amount of hits to disable can be set so you can adjust it for the type of tank its used in. It can activate an external relay for other actions - perhaps the smoke generator to show a disabled tank?

I also bought a miniature wireless color camera, it uses a 9 volt battery and transmits about 300ft outdoors:
http://www.akideals.com/DigiAccPictu...lessSpyCam.jpg

I also bought this which accepts video input and comes with ac/dc power source and a lithium battery:
https://www.ecoby.com/Products/Item....&pid=TFDVD7307

This is what I envision combat to be like with this system:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3YMXh...elated&search=

I haven't ordered the Battle Circuit yet as I am still testing the waters and seeing what the forum is leaning towards.

Paul
Old 03-01-2007, 05:55 PM
Perry S.

OK, I've mentioned this to Brim before but does it not seem like most of the people that are posting on this thread are from NY/NJ? Are we planning something?
Old 03-02-2007, 03:33 AM
martin g

Did you find the gas canisters yet??? I have an air rifle at home, its called a 'crossman ratcatcher' it uses very small precharged c02 cartridges which are about 3.5 inches long by 1 inch diameter ( pic below) and would fit into a tiger turret. Have you looked at those??? The cartridges give the gun about 10ftlbs which in the rifle is enough to knock a rabbit out at 30 yds. You would need to clamp these onto your regulator as they are not 'threaded' but a basic retainer would be easy to make, just needs to be strong or your T1 will turn into voyager 1 in no time.

Name:	Li21284.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	20.7 KB
ID:	632840  
Old 03-02-2007, 06:53 PM
Brimauster

Yes, Martin, I do have the air tanks. The ones I got are a little bigger. Those in your pic are 12 grams each. Mine are 16 grams each, and are threaded so no rig needs to be made. There is a special adapter that you screw in the 16 gram "bulb" and there is a tiny pin that pierces the end, letting the CO2 flow.

If my information is correct, 1 bulb should give probably close to 50 shots. though the last few will most likely not have a whole lot of zip. Fifty shots is not bad. My only problem will be having to take the hull apart to change the bulbs, but I have made only two wire connections to the turret and three screws will hold the hull halves together.
Old 03-03-2007, 03:12 AM
Perry S.

Brim,
Thanks for the heads up on the regulator. Mine should be here soon. Here's what I am doing on my T-34. I think it's in line with what you were describing. With HL electronics the WSN T-34 is an awesome tank and has actually been quite a bit more dependable than my HL's. I've been taking postshots at the T-34 with the Tiger at low pressures so I think it's time it can defend itself.
OK, here we go;
started of with .180 ID brass tubing. Gives 3 mill tol on a .177 cal steel bb. With my dremel, I formed a 'T' connection

Name:	Tr50471.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	60.2 KB
ID:	633483   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ay75928.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	44.2 KB
ID:	633484  
Old 03-03-2007, 03:16 AM
Perry S.

I planned to solder these together but my skills aren't quite there yet. So I machined out a junction block from ABS. Anyone that mods should get a big chunk of plastic from McMaster. Under $20 goes a long way. My block was 2x1x20". I just cut out the small block on my band saw and drilled some intersecting holes on my drill press.

Name:	Nl30053.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	44.8 KB
ID:	633485   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dy79506.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	50.0 KB
ID:	633486  
Old 03-03-2007, 03:20 AM
Perry S.

For this test setup I simply put on a verticla magazine. It will have to be capped since it is pressure positive. Later I'll make a lower magazine to fit in the turret. I purchased a 1/8" rare earth magnet from Radio shack and epoxied it opposite the magazine. Forgot to take a pic.
Made an accumulator as I described at the start of the thread and added the Clippard valve. Here you can also see how simple it wa to mount to the T-34 barrel.

Maybe this inspires

Name:	Xv64008.jpg
Views:	203
Size:	96.1 KB
ID:	633487   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zu66123.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	52.3 KB
ID:	633488  
Old 03-03-2007, 03:22 AM
Perry S.

oh yeah, here's a random pic just because

Name:	Zx71255.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	85.2 KB
ID:	633489  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.