Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

HL Tiger 1 (non S&S) range problems - old problem, need help

Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

HL Tiger 1 (non S&S) range problems - old problem, need help

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2007, 07:20 PM
wackywheelz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HL Tiger 1 (non S&S) range problems - old problem, need help

Hey all,

Well basically, I've just decided to try to fix my Heng Long Tiger 1, since new its had this stupid range problem, as detailed in post #6 of this thread (http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_4187259/tm.htm)

To sum it up:

Tank won't work 2 metres/6ft from the controller, when you drive it out of range (aerials 4-6ft from each other) it just stops dead, and often needing the controller's aerial to come within 1ft to get it going again. Tank is 27mhz. When it is going (I have to follow it along) it goes good, but has always been affected by this range bug. I'd like to get it fixed so it can stop sitting on the shelf and get out into wilderness etc.

I'm thinking that the frequency pot thingies need adjusting, and swear i've seen an image on how to adjust these a few years back on here -- anyone have a clue how to do it, where the pots are located (I know how to get the tank apart) or a quick guide?

Thanks in advance for all replies
Old 07-31-2007, 07:55 PM
BIGMIG

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: HL Tiger 1 (non S&S) range problems - old problem, need help

Have you considered a HL S&S up-grade.The problem could be many different things.BAD ==antena wire or solder connections,the transmitter itself,the board,the transmitting or receiving crystal or both,the chanel selector on the non S&S tank,And probbly more I'm not thinking of.You would have a lot better tank with the up-grade.Just my guess and opinion,what ever its worth. BIGMIG
Old 07-31-2007, 07:57 PM
StoneColdFreak

The first thing that I would do would be to replace the antenna wire. It may have a break inside of the insulation that is cutting the signal short.
Old 07-31-2007, 10:15 PM
wackywheelz

GOOD NEWS!!

I took apart the controller, double-checked all joins and soldier, then moved to opening the tank. After the inital pull-apart I looked over the circuit board, no apparent faults, replaced the circuit board>antenna wire with something stronger, same problems were occuring.

So I picked all the glue off the top of the pot, and made small adjustments, tried all 3 frequencies (ABC) -- no joy. Then i turned it (pot) as far as it'd go, all of a sudden she sprang to life (I had the control on the other side of the room with a weight holding it so that it would move forward). I grabbed the control and tried from around the room, and it was fine (10-15 feet) so I reassembled it, took it outside for a test run -- I just got back inside -- I had it going for maybe 30 feet maximum, then it started acting sluggish, I'd only charged it for about an hour yesterday, done all my tests today, so I wasnt expecting much runtime anyway.

So much for freq tuning from the factory, it was glued in a bad position, or later mismatched to the wrong controller during packaging stage.
Old 07-31-2007, 10:20 PM
StoneColdFreak

Cool, I'm glad you figured it out! [sm=thumbs_up.gif] It sometimes amazes me how many different things can go wrong with these tanks.

Happy Tanking!
Chad