Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

HL Tiger I number 3818?

hi everyone! i found this forum last week so this is my first post!

i recently bought a HL 1/16 Tiger I but i have one question though on the decal which comes with the tank: the number 3818; does a Tiger have a 4 digits (XXXX) turrent number? i thought it's usually 3 digits (XXX) or 2 digits with 'S' infront (SXX). i've spent a while searching but got nothing. any help?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: HL Tiger I number 3818?

I thought I read only 1200 tigers were produced. If you dont like 3818, you can always make it 381 :P

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

here is the production numbers of the Tiger

1942 1943 1944 1945
    Januar 35 93
    Februar 32 95
    Mรคrz 41 86
    April 1 46 104
    Mai 50 100
    Juni 60 75
    Juli 65 64
    August 8 60 6
    Sept 3 85
    Oktober 11 50
    Novem 25 60
    Dezem 30 65
    ges. 78 649 623 -

Total 1350

Source: www.tigerpanzer.de

About the turret numbers, there was a lot of changes during the Tiger perios, depending on the tigers belonged to the SS or the regulary Army. I have some books that covers the precise explanation of turret numbers. Shall see if I can find it and post the data later this week.

regards
    Steen

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Welcome to the forum, Sector6....!

Yes, Tigers as a rule had only 3 numbers on their turrets ..The numbers are normally displayed on either side of the turret....

Tigers were not normally part of Regular Panzer Divisions, as I recall --but were part of what the Germans referred to as "Heavy Tank Batallions" (Schwere ="S" ="heavy" ) ...and the numberin system is described here:

http://www.achtungpanzer.com/divis.htm#num

Tigers also had numbers on the REAR of the turret -- but it despends on the individual tank you wish to model. The Site containing link I gave you should explain this much better than I can....

Paul McD.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

thanks soooo much for your help! you guys really know your stuff. i think, i'll just cut out the '8' to make it '381'. hehe

i doubt i'll be doing any painting on my Tiger. Reasons: i don't have the equipments (eg. air brush) nor the skill. A pity really....

However, i managed install a wireless cam inside the commander's hatch! it was a real cheap one for only 60 singaporean dollars. i cut away the plastic base, where the commander figure is supposed the sit, in order to slide the 9V battery inside the turrent. The amazing thing is that i managed to do this with my basic tools i've found in the house and without actually taking the whole Tiger apart.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hey Sector6, I am a new HL Tiger owner as well - just a few weeks really. I just finished my first (almost mandatory) modification: I replaced the plastic spigots with metal ones. You'll find that the wheels of the tank will fall because of the weak plastic spigots. I made the L-bars to bolt threaded brass spigots into. Alot of work for me since I only have basic tools. But for any HL Tiger I would ever buy, I'd atleast do the metal spigot+washer+bolt method.

I want to do painting, but I have do not have an airbrush. I am thinking of using this method of applying a textury paint-job via a stubble brush.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

There's no question that "airbrushing" is an excellent way to do your tank! But let's not llose sight of the fact that a good many German tanks were not painted with a "sprayer". They were painted with mops, brooms, sponges, --and, possibly, with the Commader's (wadded up) shirt.....

Which all means you CAN paint your Tiger with a brush. Even the colors don't have to be "dead-bang" accurate, as the paint lots issued to --and mixed up by -- the panzer crews weren't always consistent!

This is especially true of you paint in it "blotchy" camo---large areas of red-brown and green over a yellow base (colours for Western Europe?). BTW, I've seen excellent models painted "by brush".

I don't know about other members of the Forum --but I live in an Apartment and even with the "proper" ventilation one can end up painting one's entire Suite as well as the tank --! I'm sure other guys can give you better advice here than I.....

Best of Luck---!

Paul McD.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Here are the photos of my wireless cam mod! it works great but the room must be well-lit otherwise it's a bit dark.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: sector6

hi everyone! i found this forum last week so this is my first post!

i recently bought a HL 1/16 Tiger I but i have one question though on the decal which comes with the tank: the number 3818; does a Tiger have a 4 digits (XXXX) turrent number? i thought it's usually 3 digits (XXX) or 2 digits with 'S' infront (SXX). i've spent a while searching but got nothing. any help?

Its made in China. And Chinese beleives. 3818 means get rich for ever. Especially when you run a business, you want everything get booming.
    . You probably see some drivers with number plater eg 188, or 318, or 1888 or 888 or 8889. These are the lucky numbers. Therefore, 3818 is nothing relation to Tiger production numbers. Its just a myth.