Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

Mixed feelings about new Bulldog!!!

Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Mixed feelings about new Bulldog!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2007, 12:51 AM
speedknot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mixed feelings about new Bulldog!!!

I just received my new Walker Bulldog S&S through RC Dynasty which is Mato Toys. It came in record time for Intl shipping. Upon pulling the box out I noticed that the tank box was split at the seems and parts/packing/screws were dropping out all over the place. The tank was partially assembled and looked like it was used. With a little bit of CA and patience, I was able to get the parts back on correctly. The tank seemed to run ok, slow, but ok. Better battery and the gear fix is in order. The Airsoft system is really weak. Is it normal to get only a 10' range with the supplied BB's? Its advertised as having a 25m range. Also, is it normal to have a 10-15' transmitting range? I haven't complained to Mato yet but what are they "really" going to do for me. Dealing with vendors from out of the US is like pulling teeth and given the cheap Chinese product they carry, I highly doubt Mato's supplier is willing to make good for it. I realize it is a $75 tank but I would have liked it to arrive in one piece, especially for the high shipping fees I paid.
Old 09-01-2007, 02:49 AM
wackywheelz

Default RE: Mixed feelings about new Bulldog!!!

Charge the tank battery and make sure your remote has fresh (or known charged) batteries too
Old 09-01-2007, 05:44 AM
Wozwasnt

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Buy some decent BB pellets, the ones that come with the tank are useless and may damage the gun.
Old 09-01-2007, 06:37 AM
smart racer

I deal with both Mato and RC Dynasty, any problems I have had have been addressed and corrected. I would contact them reguarding the problems because it is a 3 day warranty time frame.
Old 09-01-2007, 06:51 AM
pattoncommander

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Various people have had various luck with Mato. I have had nothing but headaches. My Pershing runs erratic like a Century 21 tank, and I feel very strongly that the metal gearbox was not put in properly and some non S&S parts were used. I offered to pay shipping and labor, but all they said was "sorry, but to contact the seller." This is not the first problem with them, so I just will not buy anything from them any more.
Good luck.
Old 09-01-2007, 12:54 PM
swathdiver

Throw away that little box of bbs, they'll wreck the gun in short order. If it came with a bottle of yellow ones, they don't get much better then that. Crosman Glo .12g are the best I've tested to date.

Pull the gearboxes and break them in as per the FAQ. Get a real battery and charger if you find you like the hobby. What do you mean by partially assembled?
Old 09-01-2007, 01:14 PM
hdbeast

That is a fair discreption of my bulldog when it arrived, the bbs throw away. Open it up an make sure the antenna wire is connected, not touching the boards, mine was disconnected, stop driving it and start working on the gears or you will fry the board. it only takes a couple of hour to open the tank remove the gears and fix them. do one at a time and use the other as you guide for reassembly. It's part of the fun and part of HL ownership
Old 09-01-2007, 02:07 PM
BIGMIG

Hi speedknot,
Was looking at one of your earlyer post where you were asking general information on the HL tanks,and where to buy other than Mato.I"m just curious why you bought from Mato,was you after the metal gears or just a HL tank.?? BIGMIG
Old 09-02-2007, 08:59 PM
speedknot

Thanks for the input guys. I've been into RC cars/trucks for over 20 years now, but this is my first stab at tanks and you guys have been very helpful. Dont get me wrong here, I wasnt expecting Losi or AE quality, but I would have liked it in one piece and working correctly before I do any mods. I'm no stranger to RC and tinkering around, making something better, is what makes a hobby, a hobby.
I'm going to toss the BB's it came with and get better ones but in the mean time I am going to order the VS airsoft shooting mech. I also tried a 3300 mah battery in it and it doubled in power and speed. The gearbox is getting overhauled too. I'm also going to clean off the gears and apply a much lighter gear oil to reduce the drag. The stuff they put on those gears is like molasses. Mechanically I can make this baby sing but I wish I had the creative ability to do some nice cosmetic improvements to it.

Hey BIGMIG. I bought from Mato because they seem like the only supplier in the northern hemisphere who has stock in this tank with the metal gears. Most of you guys have had good luck with them too. I just hated paying the high shipping cost though.
Old 09-02-2007, 09:31 PM
jom

Fitting the VS gun in the Bulldog is a real easy mod. The shell of the VS unit is identical except for being about 2mm wider on the left side of the breech. The HL gun is is screwed between two parallel pieces of flat plastic which are moulded to the back of the mantlet. These plastic extensions are 2mm thick....

My solution - cut a piece of brass sheet the same size as the left hand plastic mount. Screw and glue it to the outside of the left hand mount near to the mantlet. Drill through the brass sheet using the existing gun mounting hole (to make sure it's aligned) and then cut off the plastic mount where it interferes with the VS gun breech. This give you a mount that is exactly 2mm wider.

Hope that makes sense, if not I'll take my Bulldog apart and take a photo....

Jo

PS My memory is a little hazy, that may be the left side looking from underneath... when you get the two guns side by side you'll see the difference.
Old 09-02-2007, 09:40 PM
BIGMIG

I kind-a thought that was why you bought from Mato,to get the metal gears. BIGMIG
Old 09-02-2007, 09:50 PM
shenlonco
My Feedback: (2)

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Also go with the VS leo A6 long barrel you can cut it to perfect lenth you may need to grind a little of the outside high spots off the barrel to fit it inside the bulldogs plastic outer barel...if you don't use the long barrel and use the VS short ones like in the abrams be prepared to have the outter plastic barrel of your bull dog blown to smitherines!
Old 09-02-2007, 10:16 PM
speedknot

ORIGINAL: shenlonco

Also go with the VS leo A6 long barrel you can cut it to perfect lenth you may need to grind a little of the outside high spots off the barrel to fit it inside the bulldogs plastic outer barel...if you don't use the long barrel and use the VS short ones like in the abrams be prepared to have the outter plastic barrel of your bull dog blown to smitherines!
Im not sure if it was you but I had read somewhere on these forums to go with the A6 barrel. Good pick.[sm=thumbup.gif]

Thanks jom. Your recommendation makes perfect sense. Unlike my spelling!!!
Old 09-02-2007, 10:23 PM
speedknot

Another thing I noticed was that the recoil is just a function controlled by one of the action buttons. I thought it was supposed to work in conjunction with the firing of the main gun? Bummer[&o]
Old 09-02-2007, 11:03 PM
smart racer

speedknot...synchronize the shooter with the recoil action
Old 09-03-2007, 02:34 AM
jom

The VS gun has a microswitch for recoil, but I'm not sure that it can work as the recoil action on the HL is software controlled - probably...(Help darkith!).

If you can get it to work, let us all know!

Jo
Old 09-04-2007, 11:53 AM
MySoldier

ORIGINAL: pattoncommander

Various people have had various luck with Mato. I have had nothing but headaches. My Pershing runs erratic like a Century 21 tank, and I feel very strongly that the metal gearbox was not put in properly and some non S&S parts were used. I offered to pay shipping and labor, but all they said was "sorry, but to contact the seller." This is not the first problem with them, so I just will not buy anything from them any more.
Good luck.
Hey Pattoncommander, I dont understand "contact the seller"???? Where did you buy it from? Mato Toys International, correct?
Old 09-04-2007, 05:42 PM
WhiteWolf McBride
My Feedback: (3)

MySoldier:

If you read back, I think pattoncommander said he bought it from AAF Tank Museum's PX, who probably brought it in from Mato.

As AAF was the sales rep, Patton would have to contact AAF, not Mato. then AAF could take it up with Mato (if thats where Karen sourced the tanks from)

Am I right on that, PC?