Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

My my, what big tracks you have..

Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

My my, what big tracks you have..

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2007, 03:56 AM
karma99

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default My my, what big tracks you have..

So, as many of you know I've got a whole bunch of stuff waiting to start my HL PanTiger to Jagdpanther conversion after being inspired by Jonasvem. Now I saw how a few of you have bought 1/35 scale kits to get the measurements and angles from and then scaled them up. I'm pretty good at maths but frankly "measurement * 35 / 16" is pretty taxing so I've taken another route..
I'll be measuring my new Jagdpanther's dimensions... and halving them!!

Yup, in a deal I've been negotiating for the past month, I have just bought a 1/8 Jagdpanther with everything a mad tanker could ever want; smoker (that works!), 4 speaker sound unit with Panther audio, phospher-bronze tracks and sprockets that are nigh on indestructible, blank firing cannon, built in CCTV camera.

There are 3 pages by it's former, former owner (and builder) at http://www.jagdpanther.co.uk select 'The Models' and then 'JagdPanther Conversion', 'JagdPanther Complete' and 'Refurbished JP'
It currently needs some TLC and some minor refurbishment, but nothing major.

Right now I'm like a kid who just found Wonka's golden ticket and I wish you could all come and play! My RC Tank addiction started so small, and now it's lead to this. Those who've seen my work on my Tiger and PzIII know that I don't drive them much, after 100+ hours of detailing I'm not taking those babies outside! This beast.. this is the play thing. I will post some pics and a vid once she's back to full health.

Oh, and as for cost, if you don't mind foregoing getting to build it yourself (and for me this is great cos my mechanical skills are minimal! I might repaint it sometime though) I got £4000+ worth of tank for about the price I was going to pay for a Tamiya KT with all the trimmings. It seems the second hand market on big tanks is a buyers market, in the UK at least.

Old 06-03-2007, 04:01 AM
Bauer66

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: My my, what big tracks you have..

Very nice find. I am currently building a 1/8 King T, Gotta love the size.
Old 06-03-2007, 06:01 AM
jonasvem

Thats a big tank - I like it - I want it .. ..my girlfriend would kill me... [&o] .. just have to stick with the 1/16
Old 06-03-2007, 12:20 PM
Perry S.

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Congratulations. You have arrived. What was it converted from, who made the original?
Old 06-03-2007, 01:28 PM
karma99

ORIGINAL: pscartozzi

Congratulations. You have arrived. What was it converted from, who made the original?
The web link in the post is all about it's build. It came as a 1/8 Jagdpanther but an early version, the conversion was to make it a late version and to add all the cool toys inside. It's a very nice set up with pull out connectors, an aluminium tray with all the controls in (the rear door opens to reveal a battery meter and an array of switches for controlling it), very neatly done and way beyond my wiring skills!

ORIGINAL: jonasvem

Thats a big tank - I like it - I want it .. ..my girlfriend would kill me... .. just have to stick with the 1/16
lol, Mrs K was ok with it as I paid for it from my extra work I've been doing.. I just had to get permission to raid the savings to buy it now as I won't be invoicing for the work for a couple of weeks. Oh, and had to promise her she could play with it too!
Old 06-03-2007, 01:39 PM
Perry S.

Was it originally scratch built then?
Old 06-03-2007, 02:18 PM
karma99

I believe it was one of these [link]http://www.mark-1-tank.co.uk/jagdpanther.html[/link] (half way down the page)
Old 06-03-2007, 03:58 PM
fv432
Banned

thats one sweet jagdpanther. one very happy bunny then mr karma
Old 09-16-2007, 10:40 AM
karma99

Well, it's taken 3 months (mostly due to me doing the work to pay for this beast!) but today the wife and I took a picnic out to some local woods, and whilst other people were walking their dogs, we had something a little more rugged to play with

It's had a complete internal and external tidy up, bearing replacement, oiling, gear box check and general poking and prodding. Both the battery for the remote and the internal 12v lead acid battery have seen better days so I'll be replacing those soon as they discharge themselves within hours, but they had enough juice for a good 30 minute workout with the sound unit running at 3/4 volume, and sounding SO cool.
I apologise for no video, we filmed a great 2 minute scene of it starting up, decending a steep sided dip, up the other side and back round for a close up.. but my wife's camera corrupted the file and I can't retrieve it [:@]
Nevermind, just means we have to go out again soon! I'm off on a church weekend retreat in 2 weeks where I have a whole afternoon free and if it's dry I intend to tape some nice driving footage, and then get a film of it pulling my car... yes, my 1/1 scale car, it has THAT much torque [sm=omg_smile.gif]

Ok, bit of a picture uploading issue at the moment...
Old 09-16-2007, 10:51 AM
karma99

Ok, I'll do this the old fashioned way and host them myself

Rather worrying bald patch I have there!!

Ahh, that's better, can't see it now!

Nice hull down position

Shall I, shan't I??

What's the point in having a big tank if people don't stop and stare?

Ok, now that's REALLY steep!

So.. where are the enemy?

Ok, here I go...

.. see, I was never worried I wouldn't make it!
Old 09-16-2007, 11:32 AM
StoneColdFreak

That tank looks amazing! [X(] Does it drive and handle the terraine like one would expect? Can you post a video?
Old 09-17-2007, 03:51 AM
Lamps

Nice one Karma
A word of advice though, pulling a car is not actually recommended by the manufacturer of these tanks, I found that out after purchasing the tow bar especially for that purpose. It can cause problems.
Old 09-17-2007, 07:25 AM
ArmChairGeneral

Thats a big tank and even the girls seem to like it
Old 09-17-2007, 05:34 PM
tac23

I am sooooooo jealous right now... [:@]
Old 09-29-2007, 05:09 PM
Dandare01

Nice to see Humpy's old Jagdpanther getting some use, that tank has handled some serious terrain, you have got yourself a cracking model, very reliable [8D]