Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Charger Warning!

I was plugging in all my batteries to get charged up since it is going to be nice out for a couple days (-15~C). While doing so I was feeling the chargers up, making sure nothing was getting hot. I am GLAD I did that! pictured here is a "Jing Heng" charger, I assume from heng long tanks, and there was something really warm! I couldnt find it at first then I felt the cables and OW! It was less then 2 minutes plugged in and they were super hot! then I noticed at the base of the charger that the wires were showing! I unplugged it and took off the battery. gave the cord a bit of a tug and it opened up like in the pictures. Still I am "wow" on checking the charger. I could have hurt a battery doing that or even worse caused a fire!

So beware and make sure to give your electronics a good look over before you start charging!

"Jing Heng" AC/DC Adaptor

RC\'\'s are like pringles... you can\'\'t have just one!

HL: Bulldog, Tiger 1, Pershing, Panzer 3
    FOV: Sherman
    21st: 1/9 Abrams

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Charger Warning!

that sucks. i threw away the chargers that came with the tanks the day i got them and bought a piranha digital peak charger.great investment

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

The HL chargers are not ULC certified, I suspect they may be fire hazards, I use them on occasion but never leave them on unattended.
    Tamiya Tiger II, Sherman
    HL Panther, Pz III & IV, Tiger I, JagdPanther, KV-1, Stug,Pershing
    Matorro Sturmtiger
    Trump T-34/85

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

The stuff, buy the Piranha Digital Peak charger by (duratax sp?) like frost98 said believe I just did and you will be amazed of how fast your batteries charge and how much better they perform, it is well worth the cash!

The Blitz
    RCTankWars.com

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Cheers for the heads up mate, will be looking now as i've got 2 of these for kids christmas pressy's.
    BLADES on tour

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Is it okay to use a Piranha Digital Peak charger with the batteries that come with the hen Long tanks. I didnt know they were not ULC certified I have 8 HL tanks and have always used the chargers but now Im starting to think I maye not want to use the chargers anymore[&:]

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: blitzkrieg65

The stuff, buy the Piranha Digital Peak charger by (duratax sp?) like frost98 said believe I just did and you will be amazed of how fast your batteries charge and how much better they perform, it is well worth the cash!

The Blitz
    I got one of them (duratrax Intelepeak)and have only used it three times and don't like them.Paid $64.00 with shipping from tower and I'll swap it to anybody here in the U.S. for equal value in used tracks and sprockets,or plastic gearbox's and motors.P.M. me if interested.I like the wall chargers,takes longer but don't fry your battery's. In my Opinion----BIGMIG

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

JerB,

Not sure if BIGMIG has the same model Piranha Dgital Peak charger but the one I have you can set the amps per charge very low or very high and there are other things that you proram in it like the type of battery you are charging Nicd or Nimh, the intesity of the trickle charge am more, check it out at Tower Hobbies!

The Blitz
    RCTankWars.com

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thats the same one I have,the offer above still goes.Its just setting on the shelf,just like you took it out of the box. BIGMIG
    Tower # LXUF 43--$54.99 shipping $8.99

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

There would be enough current in a battery pack requireing chargeing to cause the leads to the charger to get hot if it was shorted out where it enters the charger as shown in the pic you posted even if the charger hadn't been plugged into the wall. If the wires touched it would be seen as a dead short across the battery caueing the wires to get very hot and it wouldn't take long either. If the wires had shorted without a battery connected the wires below the broken section would not get hot even if the charger was plugged in as no current would flow past the shorted area, but the charger would get very hot or even burn out. So it would be a good thing to check any charger, wires, or battery pack for cracked or broken insulation before useing.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

i looked over the battery connected and it seems okay. i charged it up now with a non-broken charger. seems all is well.

and yes, i know i need some sort of professional charger.
    RC\'\'s are like pringles... you can\'\'t have just one!

HL: Bulldog, Tiger 1, Pershing, Panzer 3
    FOV: Sherman
    21st: 1/9 Abrams

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I had this happen to my original (2-3 years ago) Heng Long charger - a Jing Heng - whilst not in use, spotted it before reusing.

Since then every HL I've bought has had Zhaoxin (P/N: ZX-AS-072500) charger included, no probs with them
    Tamiya Sherman | Matorro KT | Bandai Hummel | HL Tiger (x3), Pershing, PzIII, Bulldog | T34/76 | 1/12 M1A2 | T34/85 (x2)

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Btw, just a lil trivia, 'jing heng' in some chinese dialects translates as 'real lucky'. Rite, "real lucky" alrite.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Tsk! Tsk! Didn't we tell you not to use those things months ago? The only thing they're good for is cutting off the Tamiya connector!
    If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under. - Ronald Reagan

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Nothing wrong with the Zhaoxin ones, still charge your batteries just fine
    Tamiya Sherman | Matorro KT | Bandai Hummel | HL Tiger (x3), Pershing, PzIII, Bulldog | T34/76 | 1/12 M1A2 | T34/85 (x2)

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

My Huazheng charger works just fine
    Geoff

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

They aren't peak chargers, you have to stay on top of them so you don't damage the batteries. To each his own, I've got 15 or so in a box.
    If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under. - Ronald Reagan

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Half those 1-2A+ chargers f batteries. I'd rather trickle charge them

When I put them on the charger, I know how long to charge them from flat - you could even write it on the pack how long it takes to charge @ _00mah then just figure it out and then go get em when theyre done.

Big-capacity batteries yeah sure, go get a decent charger -- the amount of time required to charge them with a 400-500mah is too slow to be convenient. But for included batteries, included charger works fine - and its "free"

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

this is my charger its great
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ca81040.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	19.0 KB 
ID:	818463  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Aslvrfrost98csvt

this is my charger its great
    Same for me, I think I bought it on your recommendation!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Get a MRC superbrain 969 I have the duratrax it's ok but I like the mrc 969 better.... I also have the duratrax Ice and a mrc 997 PRO...and a few other older chargers!
    Thanks
    Shenlonco

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

hey there guys

anothe quick question, I can also use Nicd batteries in HL tanks right?

- Jeremy

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I'd recommend looking at a charger that does Lipos. While they may not be ideal for tanks right now (we don't care about weight as much as the racers or aviators), I suspect in a few years the price of Lipos will be even lower and the higher capacity will be worth it. Plus, RC is a like a disease, before you know it, you'll be infected in multiple ways!!!! (tanks, planes, helis, micro indoor, truck are my symptoms).
    Anyways, if you're going to spend a few bucks on a charger, the lipo compatible chargers have dropped to the point where it's worth getting a good multi-charger. I have a Multiplex LN5014 as my low end charger and it does a great job on my plane, heli, and tank packs. Was about $80 when I got it, and it's sold under a bunch of names (Swallow Advance). Triton Jr. is another good "bang for the buck" charger.

D.

PS. On a side note, the MRC 969 may be a good standard charger, but even though it was once advertised as Lipo compatible, it's not. I hear MRC will upgrade it to a 977, possible for a small fee, but the stock 969 is dangerous with lipos. I think it's EOL anyway.
    RCU Required Disclosure: Manufacturer of DBC battle circuit for Heng Long tanks.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: JerB

hey there guys

anothe quick question, I can also use Nicd batteries in HL tanks right?

- Jeremy
    Yes, I've used both NiCad and NiMH, as long as they're 7.2 volt and fit in the compartment.
    Geoff

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Reguardless of what make brand or model of charger you use, you should always periodically check the cable where it exits the molded strain relief. I had a problem once with the power supply for my remote microphone unit's power supply it had cracked and exposed the wires just like that HL charger. This mic unit wasn't no cheap Radio Shack wireless mic unit but a 600$ AKG one. I couldn't figure out why the receiver unit would drop in and out when ever people moved around on the stage then I noticed the bare wires right at the molded strain relief. So this type of problem isn't just isolated to HL chargers

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast