Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Tamiya Tiger 1 Turret

Old 01-11-2008, 04:01 PM
hemi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tamiya Tiger 1 Turret

I just got my Tamiya Tiger 1 running and everything works great except the turret will only turn to the right about 10 degree's from center and it acts like its stuck on something. To the left it will turn 180 degrees, I can't see anything hitting but the turret doesn't seem very secure on the right side while its locked in place with the left and front tabs. Is it possible to install it wrong?

I know I must have done something dumb, any thoughts.

Thanks
Old 01-11-2008, 04:23 PM
fleshpedler

Default RE: Tamiya Tiger 1 Turret

Hi Hemi
Give the sead site a try, they have a number of fixes for these type
of problems sead.us/
fleshpedler................
Old 01-11-2008, 04:48 PM
Dugster

First thing to check is all of the wires coming out of the turret. Make sure that they are not too tight.
Old 01-11-2008, 04:50 PM
pcomm1

ORIGINAL: hemi

I just got my Tamiya Tiger 1 running and everything works great except the turret will only turn to the right about 10 degree's from center and it acts like its stuck on something. To the left it will turn 180 degrees, I can't see anything hitting but the turret doesn't seem very secure on the right side while its locked in place with the left and front tabs. Is it possible to install it wrong?

I know I must have done something dumb, any thoughts.

Thanks

Easy fix and a common issue for all turret Tamiya 1/16 WWII Tanks.

The black turret rotation clutch gear is slipping in the turret rotation unit.

This is an easy fix. CA glue the gear. But first remove the top black clutch gear from the unit before gluing it solid.

Another route is to order this 6 speed gear assembly from Tamiya USA Online and use one of the solid blue or yellow gears: http://www.tamiyausa.com/search.php?...x=32&image.y=9

The solid gears are a perfect replacement for the black clutch gear.

I used the solid blue gear to replace the black clutch gear in my Tiger, but CA glued the gear for my Sherman.

Both methods work.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Db85484.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	63.6 KB
ID:	848349   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mh21328.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	145.6 KB
ID:	848350   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bh94629.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	119.7 KB
ID:	848351  
Old 01-11-2008, 05:20 PM
hemi

I checked the wires and they are loose enough, the turret will rotate right with some help but it honestly fits pretty loose. Does gluing the clutch gear cause any issues with intallation of the turret?

Thanks

Old 01-11-2008, 06:37 PM
pcomm1

I checked the wires and they are loose enough, the turret will rotate right with some help but it honestly fits pretty loose. Does gluing the clutch gear cause any issues with intallation of the turret?

Thanks

No the turret will still mount just fine with a solid clutch gear.

You just don't want to go banging into the barrel and knocking the turret about with the solid gear in place.

Which you would not do anyway.

A slipping clutch gear causes 99.9% of the Tamiya turret rotation issues, especially when the the wires are not hanging up.

I recommend removing the gear from your rotation motor unit and gluing it.

The system will work great once your solid x-clutch gear is re-installed.

Put a little Tamiya gear grease on the bottom of the turret were it sits-touches on the deck and rides over the bearings too.

Tons of Tamiya tankers have done this mod, so not to worry, it won't hurt anything. You will be good to go and amazed at how well this fixes the problem.
Old 01-15-2008, 11:16 AM
hemi

I would like to thank everyone for the advice, I spent yesterday working on the turret and have to say it was a bunch of little things that caused the problem. here's what I found.

1. Weather on gun mantlet had dripped underneath on one side and was catching on the hull deck
2. Excess spru was not smoothed sanded smooth on the inside lip of turret opening on the hull deck in two spots
3. Turret locking tab on one side was hanging up on the inside deck next to one of the ball bearings. Found this bearing up higher so I reset the bearing in its mount and added ceramic grease. (did all three to be safe)
4. Rollers opposite of turret motor had excess clearence so I wraped the gear with one wrap of aluminum tape to remove the excess slop
5. Clutch was slipping so I took it apart and incresed the tension on the D shaped spring with a little heat and pulling them out with my fingers (Daryl Turner tip)
6. Removed mold line on inside of turret deck where the tabs ride and polished plastic with 1200 and the 1500 sandpaper. I also added a light coat of ceramic grease

All is good.

Thanks for the help, I love my Tiger. Now on to turning my new WSN T34 into a great tank with some help from Daryl Turner and Tamiya parts

Old 01-15-2008, 12:02 PM
Panther F

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts

Now on to turning my new WSN T34 into a great tank with some help from Daryl Turner and Tamiya parts

Make sure you post some pics when it's finished! You'll get a kick out of the T34 and it's great handling.
Old 01-15-2008, 08:24 PM
wackywheelz

The only problem I find with the T-34, even when upgraded to better electronics, is they're so damn slippery! That and the gearing, well in my case on 7.2v its slow (factory geared for 12v)
Old 01-16-2008, 09:09 AM
Panther F

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts

ORIGINAL: wackywheelz

The only problem I find with the T-34, even when upgraded to better electronics, is they're so damn slippery! That and the gearing, well in my case on 7.2v its slow (factory geared for 12v)
I know what you mean! The T34 is so light and therefore, softly sprung. Throw some 280 speed motors in there rated at 6.0 to 7.2 and it'll come to life.