Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

ESC question

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2008, 10:02 PM
pzrwest

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ESC question

I'm purchaseing a TAMIYA TEU101BK Electronic Speed Control ESC for a project to convert a 1/6th Kubelwagon to rc. Do I plug the ESC into throttle control or the elevator control jack on the receiver? The ESC has forward and reverse. I'm assumeing that it would be the elevator jack on the receiver so when the stick is in the center postion the kebel will not move, push the stick forward the K goes forward and vice versa. Am I correct on this?
Old 07-28-2008, 10:17 PM
bowlman

Received 85 Likes on 69 Posts
Default RE: ESC question

I think it would be throttle on all the rc trucks ive built all the esc's even the non reverse for race turnaments all were plugged into throttle on receiver my novac cycolne esc is plugged into throttle for speed control for my hpi rs4 mt truck .

thanks
jimmy
Old 07-28-2008, 11:37 PM
pzrwest

So if I plug the ESC lead into the throttle jack on the receiver how do I get reverse? do I set the trim to the top and the stick to the bottom?
Old 07-29-2008, 07:38 AM
Ern

Hey Harold, what did you ever do with that big Tiger that was given to you??? 1/6 scale I think...
Old 07-29-2008, 08:19 AM
pzrwest

It is sitting waiting for track need alot of money to get the track for it let alone the drive sprocket, road wheels and idler.
Old 07-29-2008, 09:42 AM
darkith

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are you using an airplane radio for this? (Remember that 72mhz isn't legal for ground vehicles, though 2.4ghz airplane radios are a-ok).

If you plug the ESC into the non-spring-return throttle channel, the mid-point would be "off", up would be forward, and down would be reverse. That's why a non-sprung throttle stick is annoying with a reversing ESC, as quite often it's hard to get it smoothly into the "off" position without the vehicle crawling slightly forward or backward.

D.
Old 07-29-2008, 11:13 AM
pzrwest

I know it says that it isn't for ground(cars) but we do use almost any rc unit up here in the middle of nowhere(LOL) I'm about 75 miles from the nearest place where there are rc'ers. We have maybe 3 guys in a 30 mile radius who are into anything rc and none of us are members of any rc club or association. So technically I could plug it into the elevator jack or put a centering spring on the throttle stick
Old 07-29-2008, 05:16 PM
darkith

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah, I understand. The only reason I point it out is that some people don't understand that an airplane in the sky will receive a signal *so* much better/farther than a surface car/boat/tank, so even though you're on the same channel, only the airborne RX sees the interference and crashes.

Anyways, yeah, you could plug it into the elevator jack or find a centering spring&arms for the throttle.

D.