Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

Radio convertor/DBC for Heng Long tanks

Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Radio convertor/DBC for Heng Long tanks

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2008, 01:06 PM
darkith

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Radio convertor/DBC for Heng Long tanks

As I mentioned here (http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/fb.asp?m=7076806), I'm thinking of designing and offering a new version of my DBC battle circuit that would allow us to use a standard RC radio (75mhz, 2.4ghz, etc) with a Heng Long ESC board....giving us the benefits of more radio frequency channels, but keeping the low-cost sound effects and ESC drive. Good for people with mixed tanks (Tamiya/HL) or who want to have large battles.

Seems like there is some interest, but perhaps not tons. I'm still gauging the interest right now, but *if* I was to do this, what features would be useful/essential? And, are there any current features of the DBC (recoil blocking, no-superspin, momentum, weight classes, sound) that should be removed or adjusted in this circuit?
Naturally, complicated features add to the cost...but some things are relatively easy, especially from the beginning. I could also make provisions for some features to be optional (perhaps requiring an optional FET), but leave places for the connections on the PCB.

Based on feedback, perhaps people would want:
LED cannon flash driver
Gun barrel recoil (maybe a servo signal, fast recoil, slow return).

Anyways, if you have any feedback, I'm listening.

Cheers,
David
Old 02-21-2008, 02:50 PM
971wright

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Radio convertor/DBC for Heng Long tanks

yes i would be interested i would recoil blooking is a must i think it puts to much shock it the gears and chassis super spin disable and better sound mg cannon and engine .

sounds a good idea to me the standard handsets are only just good enougth to do the job may be you could do a package like elmod where you could upgrade and add to as your budget allows or even a discount for complete sets i.e radio&dbc will watch with interest

p.s darkith have a little problem would like your input have a posting i would like you to read bb gun with recoil posted it last night look forward to hearing form you

best regards pete
Old 02-21-2008, 03:02 PM
philipat

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Sounds like a good idea. In addition to the DBC stuff and the recoil, how about a servo control for raising and lowering the barrel vice cycling through the motor?
Old 02-21-2008, 04:09 PM
John Ebell
My Feedback: (4)

I think this is really a cool idea. To easily be able to upgrade to a regular controller would be fantastic. With all the 2.4 Ghz programable controllers there could be some interesting set ups. Plug and go is a must for us non tech type people. Keep us all in the loop. Good luck with it.

John Ebell
Old 02-21-2008, 04:17 PM
g.horn

Great idea. I can't stand the standard HL radio !! keep me posted.

Greg
Old 02-21-2008, 04:26 PM
pattoncommander

Sounds great,

block the stupid HL hickcup "recoil"
elevation/depression of gun
discard BB gun
add realistic gun recoil
no super spin...(none of these tanks outsisde of M-41 had the posibility.)
flash in muzzle
Old 02-21-2008, 05:05 PM
Red_Rabbit

Hello

My wish-list:

recoil blocking
no-superspin
momentum
weight classes
sound
LED cannon flash driver
Gun barrel recoil (with a servo signal, fast recoil, slow return).
elevation/depression of gun (with a servo)

Yours,

RR
Old 02-21-2008, 06:08 PM
fv432
Banned

ORIGINAL: Red_Rabbit

Hello

My wish-list:

recoil blocking
no-superspin
momentum
weight classes
sound
LED cannon flash driver

Yours,

RR
couldn't ask for more really
this would defo get my vote

Old 02-21-2008, 08:22 PM
kotori

I like what's been mentioned so far. Would it be possible to get servo outs so I can use a twin ESC for motor control? Or is that something you are specifically avoiding by using the HL ESC?
Old 02-21-2008, 08:32 PM
Planedev

I like this idea, I know a lot of ppl wants recoil blocking, I am all for it, but the problem with current recoil blocking is the elimination fo the firing sound all together and sacrificing one of the sound slots on the sound board for teh firing sound. If you can either keep teh original firing sound with recoil blocking or add a way to interact witha sound board with 3 sound slots so that we still can have our hit and death sound effects on top of the firing sound will be god sent.
Old 02-21-2008, 08:48 PM
bullyhys

David,

I would be happy with just the ability to use a commerical radio wether it'd be 75mhz or 2.4ghz instead of the HL radio.

Any additional features would be icing on the cake.

Ether way the unit/adapter would sell and really expand the RC tank hobby.

Best Regards

bullyhys
Old 02-22-2008, 01:32 AM
blitzkrieg65

ORIGINAL: fv432

ORIGINAL: Red_Rabbit

Hello

My wish-list:

recoil blocking
no-superspin
momentum
weight classes
sound
LED cannon flash driver

Yours,

RR
couldn't ask for more really
this would defo get my vote

That would be Great a Huge Yes, and I also like the features mentioned above! I will can build assembled kits or send me your stock tank with the radio of your choice and I will install and test for you!

The Blitz [sm=shades_smile.gif]

RCTankWars.com

Old 02-22-2008, 02:12 PM
blitzkrieg65

Darkith,

I really think it is only a matter of exposure, a lot of the new guys don't even know what we are talking about! Heck I didn't for a couple of months after getting into the hobby! And your system is going to Danville this year, so it is only going to increase the exposure and people can see the cool features if offers! More and More people are buying Heng longs every day and it seems to me at least 20 percent of tankers would like to battle and there are another 30 percent that don't know what they are missing or can't get to a battle and the rest like to build models and just dig tanks I guess! IMHO

The Blitz [sm=shades_smile.gif]
Old 02-22-2008, 03:19 PM
patpatballball8888

ORIGINAL: darkith

As I mentioned here (http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/fb.asp?m=7076806), I'm thinking of designing and offering a new version of my DBC battle circuit that would allow us to use a standard RC radio (75mhz, 2.4ghz, etc) with a Heng Long ESC board....giving us the benefits of more radio frequency channels, but keeping the low-cost sound effects and ESC drive. Good for people with mixed tanks (Tamiya/HL) or who want to have large battles.

That is exactly what I am longing for. The computerized and quality built Tx/Rx are so reasonable today, and also I just want one single Tx for all entire fleet of HL tanks (Tx can store up to 10 or more different models control settings). With the mixing and fine tune of different channels, a lot of maneuver of the tanks can be achieved with added control. However, with HL ESC board, this cannot be achieved as Tamiya does.
Old 02-22-2008, 04:39 PM
CountChocula

This may sound odd, but if we're talking wish list, I'd like the ability to fire two main guns. Think about how cool that would be for a M3 Lee, Char B1 bis, or even one of those early heavy Russian jobs like the T35 (I think that was the one... with the short barreled 76.2 in the main turret and two 45mm cannons in two other turrets).

Anyhow... just a thought!

Dave
Old 02-25-2008, 03:55 PM
blitzkrieg65

ORIGINAL: darkith

Seems like there is some interest, but perhaps not tons. I'm still gauging the interest right now, but *if* I was to do this, what features would be useful/essential? And, are there any current features of the DBC (recoil blocking, no-superspin, momentum, weight classes, sound) that should be removed or adjusted in this circuit?
Naturally, complicated features add to the cost...but some things are relatively easy, especially from the beginning. I could also make provisions for some features to be optional (perhaps requiring an optional FET), but leave places for the connections on the PCB.

Based on feedback, perhaps people would want:
LED cannon flash driver
Gun barrel recoil (maybe a servo signal, fast recoil, slow return).

Anyways, if you have any feedback, I'm listening.

Cheers,
David
Anyone else think this might be what they are interested in?

The Blitz
Old 02-25-2008, 04:05 PM
fv432
Banned

Iv'e already spoken before but to "bump" this again it is a definite "YES PLEASE" LOL from me
C'mon guys this sort of offer doesn't come every day (the last time was ELmod) so if you are interested
let's have a show of hands
Old 02-25-2008, 04:15 PM
Red_Rabbit

Bump

And if it help's any how to make start-production-decission, I can quorantee to buy at least two peaces.

Yours,

RR
Old 03-05-2008, 11:39 PM
JackDubious

Heya,
Im just a lurker, but Ill bump this. I like the looks of ElMod but I think Darkith could do something a little more affordable...(i hope)

-JDub
Old 03-06-2008, 08:18 AM
ArmChairGeneral

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Great idea Dave, how hard would it be to do something like an expanded IR combat system? Among the expanded system it can include the basic Tamiya system to maintain compatibility. Turret jamming, track hit ( one side stops working ), main gun disabled etc. How hard to have the system recognize an armor setting and projectile type? Just spit balling here
Old 03-06-2008, 08:58 AM
blitzkrieg65

ORIGINAL: ArmChairGeneral

Great idea Dave, how hard would it be to do something like an expanded IR combat system? Among the expanded system it can include the basic Tamiya system to maintain compatibility. Turret jamming, track hit ( one side stops working ), main gun disabled etc. How hard to have the system recognize an armor setting and projectile type? Just spit balling here
ArmChairGeneral, The current system you can already attach the TBU to the DBC, Now it gets a little trickier to attach the DBU to the Tamiya DMD! But the DBC / DBU are fully compatible to the current Tamiya right now! I am not sure if you are going to Danville but a unit will be in action there if you would like to see how it performs under fire!!!
Now the other cool features you are recommending would probably be a processor and complete board change = large investment and basically trying to grab the EL MOD market! But David can expand more, that is just my estimate of development for something like that!

The Blitz[sm=shades_smile.gif]

RCTankWars.com
Old 03-06-2008, 10:03 AM
ArmChairGeneral

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Blitz, I have a DBU/DBC unit for my Sturmpanzer III, still have to assemble it though
Old 03-06-2008, 11:16 PM
Planedev

Yo Blitz, I have used the DBU on my Tam pershing before, its plug and play into the TBU recepticle, just take note of the polarity of the pins and you will be fine. On doing that experiment, if you do not have a TBU recepticle, you only need to make a similar wire that connects to a DBC to connect to the MFU. If you can find the exact plug is also better.

As for the emitter, the one supplied with the DBC does not work well with teh MFU, I get a very short range with it. I thinkyou have to hunt downteh exact model of IR emitter that tamiya uses. 2 years ago someone found teh emitter locally(exact Tamiya maatch) but I have not seen teh same componet these few weeks when I was searching for it.
Old 03-07-2008, 01:37 AM
ksoc

From the SEAD web site - Tech Notes

Replacement LED: Had an opportunity to test a Radio-Shack replacement IR LED for the Tamiya Battle System and the results are compareable.

Both the Tamiya LED and the Radio-Shack [part no. 276-143 (high intensity)] LED have the same wavelength emission and similar range
(up to 30m). So as a local (and cheap) replacement LED, this is a good alternative to the Tamiya LED.

Actually any IR LED at 940nm will work also
http://www.sead.us/technology.html

------------------------------------------
ACG -
Blitz, I have a DBU/DBC unit for my Sturmpanzer III, still have to assemble it though
I did the same thing Finally sat down one evening and put it together. I haven't soldered much electronics, and it still works - AFTER I remembered to add the resistor at IR plug Next step - hook it up to my TBU and an emitter.....
Old 03-07-2008, 02:03 AM
blitzkrieg65

ORIGINAL: Planedev

Yo Blitz, I have used the DBU on my Tam pershing before, its plug and play into the TBU recepticle, just take note of the polarity of the pins and you will be fine. On doing that experiment, if you do not have a TBU recepticle, you only need to make a similar wire that connects to a DBC to connect to the MFU. If you can find the exact plug is also better.

As for the emitter, the one supplied with the DBC does not work well with teh MFU, I get a very short range with it. I thinkyou have to hunt downteh exact model of IR emitter that tamiya uses. 2 years ago someone found teh emitter locally(exact Tamiya maatch) but I have not seen teh same componet these few weeks when I was searching for it.
Thanks Planedev that is what I thought but had not done it yet myself so did not want to comment! Thanks to kevin you can probably order that online from radio shack!

Hey Kevin so are you building a Heng long for IR battles along with the rest of your fleet, what model are you going to install the DBC/DBU in?

The Blitz

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.