Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Spektrum DX6i and El-Mod

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2008, 02:28 AM
Badgerboy1970

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spektrum DX6i and El-Mod

I just received a complete El-Mod setup from Blitz and purchased a Spektrum DX6i to control all my tanks (Spektrum has a sweet buy one/two get one/two receivers free with radio purchase deal right now.) The radio adjustments are all at the default settings, but when I set up a bench test with all the components I could not get all the functions to operate.

I had all the Prop channels and all cabling connected properly, the only thing I can think of is that the channel arrangement is completely different on the Spektrum receiver like channel 1 is throttle, channel 2 aerilon, etc. or some other strange combination but I tried switching the prop cable around in different positions on the receiver with no luck. The most response I get is when I push the right stick up the machine gun fired, push down the main gun fired and the left stick does make a small ticking noise when pushed left or right, besides that nada. I could never get the turret rotation, gun elevation, or motor start-up sounds to work.I am not sure if I need to have the gearboxes and turret assembly connected to get full sound effects from the El-Mod Blaster.

I read all the FAQs at the El-Mod and Spektrum websites, checked multiple tank club websites radio and project sections, downloaded and read all of the El-Mod .pdf files, and I even did a google search for any possible related information. Does anyone have a Spektrum DX6i (or even DX6) they are using with an El-Mod system?
Old 03-08-2008, 04:02 AM
bullyhys

Default RE: Spektrum DX6i and El-Mod

Badgerboy,

To answer your question: yes I have just completed a transplant of a complete El-mod systen into my Jagdpanther (HL)
and am using a DX6 radio.

1st thing to note it takes aprox 3 to 5 sec for everything to sync up radio rcvr and El-mod.
2nd you must start the engine just like the HL tanks for every thing to work.
3rd to get the main gun to fire using the DX6 you must set the channel you are using assuming it's ch 5 or 6 to go -100 instead of +100%.
this is done by adjusting the servo travel in the Transmitter.

Which El-Mod setup do you have? the standard prop ( for 4chan) or the C4 (6chan)?

The one I have is the C4(6chan)

Regards,

bullyhys
Old 03-08-2008, 05:26 AM
jakeand

Hi Badger,

More El-Mod: http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_71...tm.htm#7173776

And "left stick does make a small ticking noise when pushed left or right" is the turret sound with engine not started, so i think you are on the right path

Regards

Jake
Old 03-08-2008, 11:20 AM
Badgerboy1970

Hi guys,

Bullyhys, I have the 4 channel prop system and I did not have the gearboxes physically wired to the to the booster could this be why the engine did not start? [:-] Thanks for the help both of you [8D]
Old 03-08-2008, 11:33 AM
Bodhi83

Badgerboy,
Who did you specifically order your radio from. I have been looking for them, but no one had them in stock. Do you have a number for them?
Old 03-08-2008, 11:41 AM
jakeand

Hi Badger,

I have also the Prop ch 4 system.

No, the motors or turret dont need to be connected (tested) It should start with left stick in upper or lower corner, it depens on your radio configration. Look at Calvinlo's thread above.

I know that Blitz also have some issues with Spektrum/ElMod setup, try to contact him also.

Do you have a picture of your installation ?

Regards

Jake
Old 03-08-2008, 01:52 PM
Badgerboy1970

Bodhi83, I found the radio locally at a place called Tammies Hobbies. They had at least two DX6i radios and several receivers left as of two days ago. I do know they just upgraded their website and will ship you a radio if you give them a call. Their website is http://tammieshobbies.com. The radios are $179 and AR6200 receivers are $69.99 each.

Jakeand, I disconnected everything temporarily since the parts were consuming my desk space. I tried all combinations of prop connections on the receiver and all diagonal corners on both sticks and I could not get the engines to fire.

Can someone tell me the order they have the channels connected on the Spektrum receiver? Are the prop cables connected in the same order as the El-mod manual, or a different order? Is the throttle or rudder channel one on this receiver?

throttle --> channel 1 ?
aerilon --> channel 2 ?
elevator --> channel 3 ?
rudder --> channel 4 ?

What is the channel to stick layout?

Thanks I appreciate all the help
Old 03-08-2008, 02:30 PM
jakeand

Hi,

My setup is with Graupner, but you could maybe use this info anyway.

Mode 1, this is critical be sure your transmitter use this mode!

Left stick

Up: Barrel/Fire Gun
Left: Turret
Right: Turret
Down: Barrel/ Fire Mg
Upper Left corner: Start/Stopp engine

Right stick

Forward/Backwars/Left/Right

Regards

Jake

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn37478.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	46.5 KB
ID:	897841   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kf12697.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	51.7 KB
ID:	897842   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ej13086.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	46.2 KB
ID:	897843   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wq42671.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	50.1 KB
ID:	897844   Click image for larger version

Name:	Te46995.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	24.6 KB
ID:	897845   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sj71416.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	26.9 KB
ID:	897846   Click image for larger version

Name:	Km98403.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	28.0 KB
ID:	897847   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vu70024.jpg
Size:	45.7 KB
ID:	897848  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki79115.jpg
Size:	50.2 KB
ID:	897849   Click image for larger version

Name:	Co70077.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	49.5 KB
ID:	897850   Click image for larger version

Name:	Uz15368.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	42.3 KB
ID:	897851   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ak50270.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	48.7 KB
ID:	897852  
Old 03-08-2008, 02:31 PM
jakeand

...and TLS

Jake

Name:	Sq47447.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	46.5 KB
ID:	897853  
Old 03-11-2008, 04:41 PM
Badgerboy1970

Just bumping this up to see if Bodhi83 was able to find a DX6i radio and if anyone had any specific information on the channel layout for the Spektrum receivers (AR6200 if possible.)
Old 03-11-2008, 05:52 PM
bullyhys

Badgerboy1970

Here is the color code for my Spektrum setup in my HL conversion Jagdpanther with my EL-MOD C4 (six channels)

BAT = Red/Black wire conn w/ two wires together(next to each other) Red to plus + center mark on rcvr and Blk to -

For my setup as I do not have a turret

Throttle = YEL for gun elevation.

AIL= Red wire from BOOSTER (Turn)
Ele= Brown/Black from booster (Fwd/Rev)
Rudder= Green which for my setup is Engine start and Lights for you should be your Turret drive.

My chan 5 is blue which is my main gun
my chan 6 is green which should be my turret if I had one, It should be noted that the EL-Mod BOOSTER and TLS expects to see all of its radio connections that its wired for or it will not sync up.( or at least that is how my system behaves.)

I will add some pictures just as soon as I can get them down loaded from my camera.

Hope this helps

Regards,

bullyhys
Old 03-11-2008, 06:11 PM
iamman711

stumbled upon this thread by accident. what is el-mod and do you ppl use tanks to blow things up. 2 sorta different questions.

also, does anyone know how to make the dx6i joystick controls more tight so they offer more resistance. i like it better that way.
Old 03-11-2008, 06:13 PM
bullyhys

Here are the pictures

Name:	Mk26102.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	80.2 KB
ID:	901081   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lh18823.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	93.2 KB
ID:	901082   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hm23467.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	81.5 KB
ID:	901083   Click image for larger version

Name:	Nh12323.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	64.3 KB
ID:	901084   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ug52822.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	48.6 KB
ID:	901085  
Old 03-11-2008, 07:00 PM
blitzkrieg65

ORIGINAL: bullyhys

Here are the pictures

Thanks bullyhs,,, Badgerboy I have not chimmed in because I did not recommend the Speckrum radio for EL Mod unitl I have actually done it myself and I just have not gotten to it[sm=52_52.gif]! I have only been recommending the Futaba radios because more people have had success with them. But it looks like with Bullyhs and Jakes help we both should be able to get our tanks up and running! I have one tank I have to finish this week but I will try to test it out myself by the end of the weekend!

The Blitz

P.S. iamman711 Read the Manuals section on the website RCTankwars.com it will explain the funtions of the different systems! On the Specktrum radio Horizon will change that out for you for free, you just pay shipping back to them! Blowing up stuff will come next year I have something on the drawing board but someone may get to it first,,, there is a new idea every day here on the forum!
Old 03-11-2008, 07:30 PM
iamman711

?
Old 03-11-2008, 11:51 PM
Planedev

Hey blitz, can u contact elmod guys and re label their channels, instead of putting it as channel 1, 2, 3 , etc, they should label them as throttle chn, rudder chn, elevation chn and turret channel. This will help those whom are using different raidos then them. Also the instructions should not say 'left stick to lower right'(or so) but which channels to be set to which postion for a start up, i.e. throttle to full down , rudder to left(or so) to getteh engine start up.

I think it sounds confusiong now, cos soem ppl do not wire their tanks the same as others. I myself sets up my tank so that the left stick controls throttle and turning of the tank and right stick controls all the turret movement (gun elevation and turret travers) where else most other tamiya tankers in my group has it set up that the left stick controls throttle and turret traverse and right stick controls gun elevation and tank turning(rudder)

Why i am suggesting this is coz when(whenI have teh money) i getteh El mod set fromyou I hope I will not have the same issues due to wrong channel labelling that others seem to have faced so far.
Old 03-12-2008, 01:41 AM
blitzkrieg65

Plandev,

I will make that suggestion anything to clear up the confusion! The good thing is that people are here on the forum that have done it successfully and we know it is working great once you get it setup!!!

The Blitz