Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

Amphibious Military RC kits or conversions? HELP!

Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Amphibious Military RC kits or conversions? HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2008, 07:36 PM
jwrAMC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Amphibious Military RC kits or conversions? HELP!

I apologize in advance if this should be in another forum, but it doesn't cleanly seem to fit in any single one.

I'm seeking any and all ideas and leads on an RC military-type amphibious vehicle...whether acquiring a kit or converting a non-RC into an RC.

If I could have precisely what I want, it would be in the 1/10 truck size range, and would be a WWII Schwimmwagen (sp?) or some Allied vehicle of similar config.
I'd also be happy with something like the DUKW and other amphi APCs.
Basically, any military land/water vehicle...wheeled, tracked...whatever.

Got any ideas where to start...or maybe what forum this would really be best in?

Thanks in advance.
Old 04-10-2008, 09:04 PM
csal

Default RE: Amphibious Military RC kits or conversions? HELP!

Here is a link for a 1/16 scale schwimmwagen which is converted to rc, hope this helps

http://translate.google.com/translat...3Doff%26sa%3DN
Old 04-10-2008, 09:14 PM
BIGMIG

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well I think you are in the right forum although it is mostly tanks,like you say where else can a guy go with these.It's a military vehicle and to me it sould not interfear with the guys with tanks.There are a lot of us on here that have various military vehicles
of one kind or another and post about them.Lots of room here so I would'nt worry,other people have simular interests here also.
BIGMIG

P.S. finding the size you would like might be a little tricky from what I've seen though,but hope you can find something that will work for you and I hope you post your build.
Old 04-10-2008, 09:25 PM
pattoncommander

The Wehrmacht had a "Tauchpanzer" in 1941 Pzkpfw III H that had the capability of running underwater up to 50 ft. Heng long puts out a 1;16 scale of this tank. The tank was never used es designed but was used to cross rivers in Russia. The tank comes with the snorkel tube attached to the box, but I have the tube errected and made covers for the gun mantlet and bow gun.
Old 04-10-2008, 09:39 PM
jwrAMC

That Schwimmer is rather small at 5", so I passed that by pretty quickly (looking at that link, it doesn't seem to show very much RC gear in it that I can recognize, but no biggie).

As for that snorkeling tank...I like! But I have to wonder if it could be made water-tight and still operable. The snorkle would be perfect for the receiver antenna, and the idea of seeing it vanish under two feet of water is very attractive!

Here's something I'm also considering (even tho it isn't based on a 'real' design).
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=360039792472
The 14" size is right where I want to be. Once I acquire one, I'll need a TON of help designing and implementing the needed compoinents into it so that it is fully-functional on land and sea without having to stop and manually change anything.

I figure a 4 channel radio to handle (1) steering/rudder and throttle, as well as a switching mechanism to control which propulsion system to power (if I stick with electric, this is an easy setup).

Other thoughts:

How would I mount the land suspension pieces so that they aren't allowing water into the hull? I'll have to figure out what donor(s) can provide the right bits, but Tamiya's Hummer wheels/tires, if not too large, would look sharp.

For water propulsion, I think the simplest solution would be to hang a water jet under the rear end, and connect the swiveling portion to the land steering setup, so that both operate off one servo at the same time.

If I go with this APC, I'll get one home, take a bunch of measurements and ask you all to suggest the bits and pieces to use as operable replacements.

As for the troop area, I suspect the portion under the floor is not really a workable hull, so something will need to be fab'd up (floatation foam, carved to fit?). I'd prefer the RC components were below that floor so that troop figures could actually ride aboard (or other cargo), but if I must, I'll mount the stuff here and sealed up the top so its all hidden.

Just spit-balling right now...so feel free to offer clearly-nutty ideas of your own.
Old 04-11-2008, 01:14 AM
wackywheelz

1/16 Schwimmwagen is actually 9.4" long x 3.6" wide x 3.9" high
Old 04-11-2008, 01:19 AM
wackywheelz

You could go with Dragon's sizeable 1/6 Schwimmwagen, 25" long x 10" wide x 10.5" high, plenty of room to work with

Old 04-11-2008, 06:28 AM
jwrAMC

ORIGINAL: wackywheelz

1/16 Schwimmwagen is actually 9.4" long x 3.6" wide x 3.9" high

Odd- the online sellers state 4.72" long. Are you sure about 9"??

ORIGINAL: wackywheelz

You could go with Dragon's sizeable 1/6 Schwimmwagen, 25" long x 10" wide x 10.5" high, plenty of room to work with
Wow! That looks perfect...though a $200 price tag is a scary thing to consider to go and chop up. Decisions, decisions...
Old 04-11-2008, 08:29 AM
wackywheelz

Yes, my 1/16 measurements are accurate

4.72" is 1/32 scale... half the size... which is odd (unsure if Eduard even makes a 1/32 Schwimmwagen)
Old 04-11-2008, 08:43 AM
971wright

there is always this take a look at web site modern amphibious vehicle http://www.technogap.com/model.htm

regards pete
Old 04-11-2008, 08:53 AM
wackywheelz

AAVP-7A1 - I like 'em

Old 04-11-2008, 02:08 PM
Harquebus

A few years back I had run across a site that showed someone's conversion of the 21st Century Toys 1/6 Schwimmwagen into an amphibious RC car. Had a drive dog running out the rear that engaged the prop when it was lowered just like the real thing. The builder had also spent considerable time accurizing the vehicle. The unpowered toy can float without modification with four figures nestled inside so at least it was designed to be waterborne from the get go.

I've been unable to find that site since...
Old 04-11-2008, 04:33 PM
jwrAMC

Hmm...found a recent thread on the Schimmy...the Eduard 1/16 version.
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_70...tm.htm#7040953
Old 04-11-2008, 04:47 PM
killick64

From my R/C Boating days I recall that Dean's Marine in the UK offers a 1/10 Scale DUKW "Semi-kit" that I've seen photps of, built up and running. It ain't cheap ...But I believe they are still using these things in carious places, including Florida. Take a look:

[link=http://deansmarine.co.uk/shop/index.php/cPath/10_25]Dean's DUKW[/link]

..and here's a picture of one actually in the water....

[link=http://ssmana.org/gallery/displayimage.php?album=23&pos=3]Coast Guard Bob's DUKW[/link]
Old 04-11-2008, 06:55 PM
Leo2A6 Owner

There is a 1/8 scale AAV-7 available and it is amphibious. Has small waterjets installed in it. You can get the details from www.mark-1-tank.co.uk
Old 04-11-2008, 08:52 PM
wackywheelz

For that kind of money ($5k) I'd be wanting to put a downpayment on a secondhand real one...
Old 04-13-2008, 04:12 AM
killick64

Looking for pics of CG Bob's prize-winnng DUKW under Construction in 2004...

Good ones, and R/C info [link=http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=276680&highlight=DUKW]here.[/link]
Old 04-13-2008, 11:45 PM
The_Stuff

I would hate to fork out the money for those axles!!!
Old 04-14-2008, 01:29 AM
Tanque

Received 95 Likes on 82 Posts

If I could have precisely what I want, it would be in the 1/10 truck size range, and would be a WWII Schwimmwagen (sp?) or some Allied vehicle of similar config.
I'd also be happy with something like the DUKW and other amphi APCs.
Basically, any military land/water vehicle...wheeled, tracked...whatever.

Dean's Marine makes a D.U.K.W. kit in 1/10 scale: http://www.deansmarine.co.uk/html/semi_kits.html

Jerry
Old 04-14-2008, 08:12 PM
jwrAMC

Thanks to you all for the many ideas and referrals.

I''ve actually kinda fallen back onto my original find of the GIjoe APC, and I'm juggling options for it.

Here's another awesome photo:

If the bottom is flat or mildly ''V'' shaped, I think this vector-push boat has the kind of propulsion that would be sexiest to add. Picture it painted to match the olive drab hull...very utilitarian looking. It draws water in through the underside grille and sends it out through a steerable tube at the rear.

Can a system like that be bought or do I need this entire boat to scavenge?

The APC's rearend...not sure if that 'bumper?' is a keeper, as it'll block the vector's output. But otherwise, the rear looks ready for it (notice the low, centered hatch...I'll cut that out for the vector).

Ideas for a working suspension donor would be appreciated, too. I''ve no experience with such things as far as passing axles and steering columns through a hull so that they functions AND don''t leak. I'd settle for almost any setup (FWD would stay out of the water propulsion system's way), though working 6WD would be very cool. Naturally the tires/wheels need to look proper scale and military-ish. I think the stock toy wheels being so wide looks wrong, especially the way they protrude from under the sides of the body. Something akin to a Jeep/Kubelwagen/M715 look would be better, no?

I can go either way on the details: Leave it looking box-stock like a GI Joe toy, rendered operable...or delete the ''toy'' references and repaint it, give it realistic military markings and detailing, including a proper repaint and grimey wash to bring out more depth. I'd also paint up the tools on the rear panel, etc.

Again, your input is appreciated.