Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

El-Mod Electronics vs Tamiya a Review

Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

El-Mod Electronics vs Tamiya a Review

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2008, 02:01 AM
bullyhys

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default El-Mod Electronics vs Tamiya a Review

I thought that I would post for those who mite be interested.

I have not been able to locate any other postings on this subject that I can translate so that is the reason for this writing.

Last year I purchased an Thinktank EL-Mod electronics system. The set was for the standard RC system or PROP. Note this was before they had come out with the CSI battle system.
The units I purchased included the Booster which handles the motors, the TLS which handles the Turret and gun operations along with the lights. The set was complete with all the connectors and necessary wiring. I added to this setup the Blaster2 sound unit.

The tank I choose to install this setup in was my HL Jagdpanther conversion. There were some problems encountered, but the folks at EL-Mod were very helpful via email.

Ok this is a start, does this have any intrest? Should I continue with this saga cause I just figured out this is going to be a long story.

I'd be happy to continue as long as it holds interest for you fellow tankers. Any thoughts? I have attached a picture of my EL-Mod equipped Jagdpanther lending fire support to some Tigers during our last club battle day.

Regards

bullyhys
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ec89112.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	382.0 KB
ID:	927309  
Old 04-11-2008, 02:06 AM
lanierrl

Default RE: El-Mod Electronics vs Tamiya a Review

YES!!!! I am getting ready to undertake a project and use the EL-Mod guts. I would love to hear more.
Old 04-11-2008, 03:22 AM
bullyhys

The actual installation is very strait forward just follow the instruction manual. One thing to note here is that the EL-Mod prop RC system expects to have all the connectors to the radio reciever connected. If any are left out for some reason the TLS unit which has most of these will not link into the system. (one of my projects does not need all the channel functoins availible on the TLS, I plan to contact EL-Mod to see if there is a way to jumper a channel without doing damage to the TLS)

Once the installation was completed the bench testing began, the sound is to the least incredible! So is the physics engine.
I did some road testing and everything worked just fine. Now at the start of this article I stated that I had purchased this system before EL-Mod had released thier CSI battle circuit, so I installed a Tankhobby battle circuit and set up the Jagdpanther that way.
That said I took the Jagdpanther to the clubs night battle with the following results. I did not account for the Jagdpanthers weight(10lbs), in combat I found that I couldn't turn well or climb hills when needed. The Jagdpanther sounded great but that was about it[&o].
I then contacted EL-Mod and explained the issues that I had, they replied that they were aware of the problem and that a fix was in the works. They also explained that the EL-Mod system as it was could only handle tank models up to about 5lbs as the BOOSTER only produced about 3amps per motor. (This is the reason for the afterburner unit)
The guys at El-Mod also told me of the latest upgrades availible and I had my system upgrades to the latest rev.
This added the new Afterburner unit for more power to the motors, amd the new battle system(CSI) along with all the CPU changes need for my system to be compatible.

When all the parts arrived I did a complete reinstallation of the EL-Mod electronics in my 2nd Jagdpanther conversion (the one pictured). The results were much improved and once again it was time for field testing.

It should be noted here that the EL-Mod system will work with just about any RC system, I have tested it with Futuba, Hitec, and Spektrum all with good results.

The only issue encountered is with the use of chan 5 and chan6 on radios that are only setup with switches instead of pots as some functions have 2 modes (ex machine gun and main gun or lights and engine start). This issue did cause me some real headaches.
With my Hitec radio which has a pot for chan6 it was less of a problem, but with my Spektrum I had to do some fancy programing on the servo travel as the functions were always at the wrong end of the travel limit(ex fire the main gun and get the machine gun)
I'l post some installation pictures as soon as I get them.

The battle day went ok but the Jagdpanther suffered from mechinical problems so not a real good test.
The next club battleday was really good and the results were great, I had solved the Jagdpanthers gearbox issues and fought well aginst the the Tamiya Shermans and Pershings, I didn't get any kills in fact I got taken out every battle however I did manage to corner 2 allied tanks and got 5 hits on 1 and 4 on the other before I got taken out. Battle Testing was a success.

Here ends my second part of this story and there is more.

Regards,

bullyhys
Old 04-11-2008, 06:14 AM
bullyhys

I have since removed the entire EL-Mod electronics setup from my 2nd HL Jagdpanther and placed it back in the the 1st HL Jagdpanther which is where it was intended to be in the 1st place.
Upon compleation of this phase, I then decided to alter the Blaster sound file to make the Jagdpanther sound more like a Panther type tank than a Tiger tank.

This is really not all that difficult, my 1st attempt was to use the exhisting sound file setup and just make a couple of changes. I altered the T34 soundfile setup and added the Tiger 88mm gun sound which was ok. Then I tried the same using the Panzer3 soundfiles of course I added the 88mm gun and I'm still using this sound setup at this time. I do still have to figure out how to breakup a engine sound file in a size that the blaster2 likes in order to setup a custom engine sound. I have a really good Jagdpanther idle and runup sound file that I'd like to use at some point.

I have also acquired a 2nd EL-Mod electronics setup and have installed it in a WSN T34/85, currently it's setup using a 6channel Hitec radio, the plan is to try and set it up for Spektrum radio but this is going to be a challange as the T34 requires the turret functions that the Jagdpanther does not.
I have performed some battle testing between the T34 and the Jagdpanther with the following results(Note test were performed with both units in the Tamiya Compatibility mode and not the advanced mode.) The Jagdpanther was able to cripple the T34 during one fight where the T34 could not turn to the left at all due to the number of hits taken from that side.

Upon destruction of the T34 all functions returned to normal.
The next phase is to run some battles between the T34 and Jagdpanther in the EL-Mod advanced mode to see the results, more on that later.
We also are planning to run additional battle test between the T34 and my Tamiya electronics equipped Elephant conversion or my Tamiya KT.
Sorry for being so long winded, but I have been collecting this info for almost a year and I'm sure that I have over looked something, so if there any questions I'll answer as best I can.
That's about all for now.

Regards
bullyhys
Old 04-11-2008, 07:18 AM
heavyaslead

Received 36 Likes on 25 Posts

So what is your opinion comparing the El-Mod to the Tamiya electronic platform?

Which is more reliable, rugged, powerful, functions, accuracy...
Old 04-11-2008, 08:03 AM
bullyhys

ORIGINAL: heavyaslead

So what is your opinion comparing the El-Mod to the Tamiya electronic platform?

Which is more reliable, rugged, powerful, functions, accuracy...
Heavyslead,

To be totally honest for accuracy and functions the EL-Mod system; the Physics engine really gives the tank a mass feeling, and the CSI battle circuit has a lot more capibility and functions.
They both get high marks for reliablity and being rugged, at least I havent managed to blow-up ether one as yet. The EL-Mod does have a warranty though.
I would say that the Tamiya has the better power availibly, the Tamiya system has no trouble running my 15lbs Elephant conversion with its 4 HL gear box arrangement.

Both have their good and bad points. The Tamiya has a lot fewer componets to worry about installing/arranging.
They both cost about the same. (unless the currency exchange rate does a drastic change in favor of the US Dollar)
I think the EL-Mod has better versitility both with installation and vehicle types.
Also the EL-Mod system can be easily upgraded as new features are added, where the Tamiya system cannot.

Hope this answers your questions

Regards

bullyhys
Old 04-11-2008, 11:13 AM
blitzkrieg65

Excellent review Bullyhys,

Guys I am learning a lot off of your user feedback, and I appreciate it! And the parts are going out tomorrow Bullyhys,, if I have to pull an all nighter tonight!
This coming year I will try to get the website more interactive and more informative! I should have more time to get my hands dirty with my own EL MOD tank!

The EL MOD guys are constantly improving their already great product and I am going to jump on board with both feet!

The Blitz

RCTankWars.com
Old 04-11-2008, 02:05 PM
Red_Rabbit

ORIGINAL: bullyhys

The only issue encountered is with the use of chan 5 and chan6 on radios that are only setup with switches instead of pots as some functions have 2 modes (ex machine gun and main gun or lights and engine start). This issue did cause me some real headaches.
With my Hitec radio which has a pot for chan6 it was less of a problem, but with my Spektrum I had to do some fancy programing on the servo travel as the functions were always at the wrong end of the travel limit(ex fire the main gun and get the machine gun)
Hi Bullyhys!

This is very informative thread indeed.
Especially because I have El Mod Prog 6 and Spectrum. I would be very interested to know how did You programmed those fire-triggers to work.
(shame starts) As my tank is now non-firing.. (/shame stops)

Yours,

RR

PS: I should also buy two Sound-, CSI- and one Afterburner-unit. Do You know any good and free sponsor Or a rich and free lady would goes as well..
Old 04-11-2008, 07:35 PM
bullyhys

Hello R R

What I did was on my DX6 is to set the servo travel adjust for the Landing Gear sw so that it shows on the display in the switch off position -59 and with the switch on position reads +80 and my main gun will fire when I throw the gear sw.

Hope this works

Regards
bullyhys

PS I have attached a picture of my now completed HL Jagdpanther with the Vampir IR sights.

Name:	Ay74040.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	80.2 KB
ID:	927777   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zv66761.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	80.0 KB
ID:	927778  
Old 04-12-2008, 08:56 PM
Leon01

Hi guys new at this so I need lots of help. What parts would I need to run a Sherman with sound and cannon fire plus full movement using Elmod. Also what is the Spectrum Radio you guys use can you point me to a link for that also. Thanks guys.
Old 04-13-2008, 04:25 AM
johnmar78

you need TLS. Booster. Sound blaster. = 280US. This would help you to run your sherman.
Old 04-14-2008, 12:21 AM
blitzkrieg65

ORIGINAL: Leon01

Hi guys new at this so I need lots of help. What parts would I need to run a Sherman with sound and cannon fire plus full movement using Elmod. Also what is the Spectrum Radio you guys use can you point me to a link for that also. Thanks guys.

Hello Leon1

Here is the instruction manuals for the parts you are looking for!

http://www.rctankwars.com/Pdf/prop_c6_english.pdf

Here is the manual for the Blaster II sound system!

http://www.el-mod.de/pdf/blaster2_english.pdf

The Blitz

RCTankWars.com
Old 04-14-2008, 04:33 AM
streetsquid

I guess I''ll show my ignorance.

I was under the impression that the El MOd system was a "more economical" solution than the Tamiya electronics. I have two conversions that have been converted to Tamiya electronics, meaning I spent more on the MFU and DMD than I did on the rest of the tank. But they''re a complete system sans the TBU.

But if the El Mod system, requires more parts - you mention using two Sound Blaster systems, The CSI battle system, Booster, TLS and Afterburner plus more programming, is finicky to work with, has less power, and cost almost the same what''s the driver behind using their system? I know you mention it''s more versatile in the advance mode, but unless you have an entire club using El Mod you would have to keep things set at the Tamiya compatibility settings, so why go to all the extra trouble when there is a ready made "drop in" unit from Tamiya. If the El Mod unit was half as much as the Tamiya electronics I could understand it, but what am I missing here?

Please don''t take this as an attack of any sort that needs to be defended, I''m all for competition, and I love the fact that other companies are challenging and pushing Tamiya, it''s good for the market and good for the hobby. Like I already mentioned I have already done a WSN and Bandai conversion, and I''m looking at the Panzer IV so I''m not strictly a Tamiya supporter. I''m just struggling to understand the reasoning behind using the El Mod system. I was hoping it was cheaper, so that it would be more reasonable to do HL, WSN, and Bandai conversions without having to spend $350-$400 on Tamiya electronics, or buy and entire Tamiya kit just for the guts.

Regards,

The Squid
Old 04-14-2008, 05:30 AM
bullyhys

ORIGINAL: streetsquid

I guess I''''ll show my ignorance.

I was under the impression that the El MOd system was a "more economical" solution than the Tamiya electronics. I have two conversions that have been converted to Tamiya electronics, meaning I spent more on the MFU and DMD than I did on the rest of the tank. But they''''re a complete system sans the TBU.

But if the El Mod system, requires more parts - you mention using two Sound Blaster systems, The CSI battle system, Booster, TLS and Afterburner plus more programming, is finicky to work with, has less power, and cost almost the same what''''s the driver behind using their system? I know you mention it''''s more versatile in the advance mode, but unless you have an entire club using El Mod you would have to keep things set at the Tamiya compatibility settings, so why go to all the extra trouble when there is a ready made "drop in" unit from Tamiya. If the El Mod unit was half as much as the Tamiya electronics I could understand it, but what am I missing here?

Please don''''t take this as an attack of any sort that needs to be defended, I''''m all for competition, and I love the fact that other companies are challenging and pushing Tamiya, it''''s good for the market and good for the hobby. Like I already mentioned I have already done a WSN and Bandai conversion, and I''''m looking at the Panzer IV so I''''m not strictly a Tamiya supporter. I''''m just struggling to understand the reasoning behind using the El Mod system. I was hoping it was cheaper, so that it would be more reasonable to do HL, WSN, and Bandai conversions without having to spend $350-$400 on Tamiya electronics, or buy and entire Tamiya kit just for the guts.

Regards,

The Squid
Squid,
Maybe my discription was off a bit, so let me try again, for Tamiya compatible combat the EL-Mod requires the following componets: booster, tls, blaster and the CSI with sensor unit.
The total cost is about the same as the Tamiya electronic system minus the TBU.
As for programing being finiky, it''s not the EL-Mod programming but the transmitters that is the issue here. all comerical radio systems here of late are setup with single throw switches on ch5 and ch6(Aircraft radio) this the issue and nothing else. The EL-Mod commands are setup for the gun functions so that you command in one direction you get the main gun fire and the other way you get the machine gun. the same is true for engine start and control of the headlight functions. I think you can see the problem.

I did not have this issue at first as my 1st EL-Mod project was a Tank destroyer without turret functions. Any radio system that has pots installed on ch5 and ch6 will have no issues at all with the EL-Mod system.

I hope I have cleared things up a bit.

Regards,

bullyhys
Old 04-14-2008, 08:24 PM
Planedev

I thought all flap switchs are 3 way switches? I have 2 radios(airtronics super 6000 and JR DSX9) both have 3 way switches for teh flaps.
Old 04-14-2008, 09:43 PM
johnmar78

I used to own an elmode unit..quite pricey...this is one thing and the major difference between tamiya vs elmode,,,,its the recoil body action.
Elmode has not got one yet. I am not an electronics expert or freak. I found tamiy system is easy to follow and reliable too. Many kilowates...it allows you to climb over almost anyhills.......
Old 04-14-2008, 10:12 PM
blitzkrieg65

ORIGINAL: johnmar78

I used to own an elmode unit..quite pricey...this is one thing and the major difference between tamiya vs elmode,,,,its the recoil body action.
Elmode has not got one yet. I am not an electronics expert or freak. I found tamiy system is easy to follow and reliable too. Many kilowates...it allows you to climb over almost anyhills.......
Hello Johnmar,

You might want to check you facts! Below is an answer that I had myself about the power that could be obtained by the new BIGBooster!

BigBooster: It handles at least 10 A each motor, so 30 lbs. wouldn''t be a problem - it depends of the installed motor-gearbox-combo only. EL MOD has installed a system in a 1/10 tank (Jagdpanther) of 4M (www.vierm.eu) and it works very well. The "metal thing" weights about 35 kg!

Here is how you connect a RECOIL unit to your EL MOD!!

http://www.el-mod.de/pdf/recoil_english.pdf

Johnmar I will be showing some video in a couple weeks of just what kind of climbing power we can get out the BOOSTER with the AFTERBURNER!

The Blitz[sm=shades_smile.gif]
Old 04-14-2008, 10:43 PM
YHR

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Fair questions streetsquid

The system is probably better then the Tamiya on certain levels, but it has to be, otherwise I agree with you, what is the point. The sound is very good, and I understand the battle system is an improvement on the Tamiya. Open design bodes well to the future. If the EL Mod can catch on I really think there would be some very interesting developments. However, it is all about marketing. Tamiya Plug and play is a very sound package.

I was very hot on the EL-MOD system and have two complete units to install.Booster/TLC. However when Darkith came out with his battle circuit, I focused on IR battling over the El MOD stuff. Personally, I was getting more bang for the buck with the Darkith DBC. I still am not sure how well they would work together.(David, Blitz any ideas on whether a ELmod Booster /TLC would work with a DBC????) So my EL-Mod stuff is sitting in a box waiting for me to discover this myself. I think the TLC would interfere with the programming steps on the DBC., so I doubt they work together. For this reason I quit on El- MOD.

IN short I don''t think the EL MOD system is a cheaper alternative all in. You will end up spending about the same with the EL mod being slightly better, and more expandable then the Tamiya set up.

IF you want cheaper then look the Heng Long /Darkith combo. This will be considerably cheaper, but fall short on quality in sound and turret control.
Old 04-14-2008, 10:59 PM
johnmar78

Blicreg ,,,i asked Thomas befre for the after burner to increase my amps to 30amps..he was very reluctant to do so???dnt ask me why. But I can see, now, the after burner is working-still does not know waht that is ? a soft ware or a manual dial up to increase amps/??Please expain. And I am happy now, especially you are in 35 kg class I am under weight 5kg..no match...

Please explain the afetr burner and how much is it?

And the recoil system I mentioned is n ot the "barrel" recoil, I am talking about the "tank body recoil" each time the tank fires.
Old 04-15-2008, 12:05 AM
blitzkrieg65

Blicreg ,,,i asked Thomas befre for the after burner to increase my amps to 30amps..he was very reluctant to do so???dnt ask me why. But I can see, now, the after burner is working-still does not know waht that is ? a soft ware or a manual dial up to increase amps/??Please expain. And I am happy now, especially you are in 35 kg class I am under weight 5kg..no match...

Please explain the afetr burner and how much is it?

And the recoil system I mentioned is n ot the "barrel" recoil, I am talking about the "tank body recoil" each time the tank fires.
No worries Johnmar78 the Guys at EL MOD are constantly improving their product, and they are listening to their customers!

Here are the details of the AfterBurner $ 44.00 USD, if bought seprately If you buy the whole set I always drop that price, and another new product they have is BIGBOOSTER!

http://www.el-mod.de/product_info.ph...b7cc6f5adb4da9

The Blitz

Name:	Yw67278.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	54.7 KB
ID:	929426  
Old 04-15-2008, 12:29 AM
johnmar78

I see, tahnks for the infomation...just hope it came earlier. So Can i ajust the afetr burner or just one settings. How is this 10A compared to tamiya 20Amps/??can you expain it? I just want to know the scale difference....
Old 04-15-2008, 10:31 AM
blitzkrieg65

I see, tahnks for the infomation...just hope it came earlier. So Can i ajust the afetr burner or just one settings. How is this 10A compared to tamiya 20Amps/??can you expain it? I just want to know the scale difference....
From what I observed, I could not see a differance in Merle tank, what so ever! When you are running the tanks scale speed why would you need more then 10 amps, we are not running race cars! I don''t notice much differance with the Heng long & DBC vs Tamiya if you are running scale speed! But I think the best way is to not talk about it but show it, I promise you I will have a performance video for you in about a week!

The Blitz
Old 04-15-2008, 03:29 PM
johnmar78

ok. blilsz. YOU must show me a video file or rest of us that a tank can going over two hills conseuctively, not a small slope, I mean a reasonable tall at leat 30 degree gradient. And that will make us to beleive.......
Old 04-15-2008, 06:34 PM
icecreamslick
My Feedback: (9)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you buy the whole set I always drop that price
So, you sell EL-Mod, Blitz? Are you one of the creators? Do you own stock in the company or what? You will have to work twice as hard as anyone else to convince me that it is comparable to the Tamiya units. I will need to see an unbiased, side-by-side which shows the difference in sound quality, functionality and ease of use before I will become a believer. Some of us are morons who need plugs that only fit into one place on the electronics.

Sorry, I once bought a Jeep from a guy who sold Jeeps and I wish I had never bought that Jeep.
Old 04-15-2008, 07:20 PM
YHR

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The full EL MOD package is superior to the Tamiya. The sound is great, and they have an intelligent IR sensor that mimics different battle damage. This you can hang your hat on. But it is not cheap, and yes, there is a degree of difficulty setting up the system that you simply don''t have to worry about when buying Tamiya.

With a DBC I get momentum and a IR Tamiya compatable system for $75. This is a much lower entry point then going the EL MOD route. Going the full El mod route you really have to wonder if you wouldn''t be better off buying a Tamiya tank IMO.

I will probably buy the sound Blaster and and IR set up, to go with my Blaster and TLC,just so I can experience the whole system first hand, and really compare. For me the Heng Long/DBC combo is a winner at this point.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.