Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Pz IV Inoperable

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2008, 12:27 PM
samarkh

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Pz IV Inoperable

Hi lanierrl,
Umm, so not the batt, nor the TK-RX13#.
As a matter of interest, have you tried the Pz IV TK-RX13# in the Pz III?
Also are you able to check the current flow from the batt?
I do a basic bench test of the TK-RX13# with the speaker and TK-YL101 (receiver board) before I fit it into a tank. Suggest that you disconnect the turret connector, and use the speaker as the go /no-go indicator.

Technical stuff..
Looking at your symptoms and the circuit for the TK-RX13#, I think that the 5v regulator circuit made up of DZ1, R21 and Q11 is at fault. This could be due to short, as you might of found, faulty component(s) or dry joint. If this supply is low, then the drive for the o/p will be reduced, and the tank will move slowly. If the board has been swapped and the fault stays behind, then dry joints or faulty components on TK-RX13# can't be the fault. This leaves the short circuit theory as the strongest contender, an extra indicator is the 5v is fed to the turret on a green wire, via a 2.2ohm resistor. A short on this would overload the regulator circuit.
Yours Simon M
Old 04-23-2008, 07:22 PM
lanierrl

Its a Festivus Miracle!!!

I came home today and decided to give it another try. I took the top half of the turret off to do an inspection. I turned on the switch because I wanted to see if there was any juuice to the speaker (figured I would hear a little hiss) and the thing came to life. The start up sounds kicked off and everything. The funny thing is the transmitter was on a shelf with the power off!!

I shut it off and back on, powered up the transmitter and it works now. After a complete run through the only thing that doesn't work is the red light on the mantle.

Some one please explain this one to me. I am thinking now there is a poorly soldered wire I have missed somewhere and eventually it will die again.
Old 04-23-2008, 08:10 PM
BIGMIG

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

All I can add is a few commentsWith the top half of the tank removed and turret loose I would check all the wiring to make sure nothing is shorting out in the wires.Plastic does not conduct electrical current,to get a short it must be between wires or bare wires touching metal in some of the components.The top half of the tank is not neccessary to have hooked up to test the lower half of the tank.With the transmitter on and a charged battery hooked up to the tank and tank turned on you should have-flashing lights-push start buttonyou should have,sound,smoker,and all driving functions.When you plug in the turret connector,then all the upper functions.If there was a short in the upper turret wiring then it is possible that was what was causing all or some of the problems.
Why your tank would start up with the transmitter off is very strange===You may still have a major problem that exsists that may show up again.Just doing some guessing here,by no means an expert with tank wiring.But glad you have it going
BIGMIG
Old 04-23-2008, 09:13 PM
Planedev

ORIGINAL: YHR

ORIGINAL: Planedev

I think the problem might be that of the communications cable btw the reciever board and the main board, somehow there maybe an internal breakage of the wire. try to use a new one or use an ohm meter to test the wire if there are breakages.
I noticed BigMig touched on this as well.

You might be onto something here. Try another 3 wire cable that connects the Receiver to the ESC. I've installed a pile of Darkiths DBC's. They basically sit between the receiver and the ESC. I had an issue or two with the first DBC's I built.(My screw ups), and when I did my tank responded exactly like lanierrl's.

So replace the 3 wire cable, if that doesn't work flip the board and then resolder the three pins to the socket. Maybe one of them is loose and the connection cracked.

Reverse engineering this, if this condition exists, then your tank would behave exactly as it is now, so I think this is a sound path to take in order to fix it.

Oh, I don't mean ot be rude but there is a start button that needs to be pushed!!!!! Sorry, but hey forgetting to do this would also cause you this problem, so I got to mention it

Yeah YHR, I had similar issues putting in a dbc and got teh same symtoms when ever I broke one o fteh leads from the 3 wire cable to the DBC. Thats why i tot it could be internal breakage of the wire.

as for the DBC, I found some nice 3 pin plugs and sockets that are nice and small to fit onteh DBC and I never have that issue again, It also looks neat that the circuit is plug and play. If I got time i will take a pic of what my DBC looks like and show you guys what I mean.
Old 04-23-2008, 09:41 PM
YHR

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: lanierrl

Its a Festivus Miracle!!!

I came home today and decided to give it another try. I took the top half of the turret off to do an inspection. I turned on the switch because I wanted to see if there was any juuice to the speaker (figured I would hear a little hiss) and the thing came to life. The start up sounds kicked off and everything. The funny thing is the transmitter was on a shelf with the power off!!

I shut it off and back on, powered up the transmitter and it works now. After a complete run through the only thing that doesn't work is the red light on the mantle.

Some one please explain this one to me. I am thinking now there is a poorly soldered wire I have missed somewhere and eventually it will die again.

Good Job Soldier. Obviously there is something not quite right with that unit. Did you take the transmitter apart and check the contacts under the Key, Machine gun and the tank recoil button. Maybe you have something shorting out across these. You first noticed a problem when you hit the machine gun button, and now the tank is starting up on its own. There may be a wire stand or something making a circuit where it shouldn't.
Old 04-24-2008, 08:55 AM
samarkh

My personal favorite culprit is something in the turret/upper hull loom & connector.

Yours Simon M.