Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Survey for Mr. Tamiya

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2008, 09:57 PM
Ripperupton

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Survey for Mr. Tamiya

Back in February I conducted a little survey on the Armornut Forum. I feel I have a good relationship with the senior Mr. Tamiya and I think it could do some good to pass along poll results to him certainly can't hurt. Soon after I took in the votes, both Hen-Long and Tamiya announced they would be coming out with a Panzer IV. This had the effect of throwing off the survey I feel. I think we need to do a new survey regarding what kits we would like to see coming from Tamiya. I think when we remove the Panzer IV from the equation, enough guys would change their votes to make a difference. For that reason I think it's valid we do it over. This time I want to also open it up to the Forum here.

Here is how it turned out for the WW II tanks from February's survey. I asked: "Which tanks would you like to see Tamiya produce?" I asked for each person to pick three in order of importance to them and which, realistically stand a chance of being produced. Wth this new survey I will merely add up the total votes for each vehicle as I did for February's since there aren't enough total votes to break it out into 3 levels of priorities for each tank without it becoming watered down and distorted.

Despite my warnings to avoid the unlikely candidates, we did get enough votes to see a clear picture. It was a little messy, though, I had to make some judgement calls to be practical. For instance, the Panzer IV received so many votes I had to include it as the third runner-up. I had to clump together the M4's, M3 Grant/ Lee, Achilles, and Jackson with the general request for anything VVSS in order to simplify things. (I think we might have to have a discussion about which VVSS-type vehicle would be best to shoot for.)

Likewise there was a bit of a debate about the Cromwell versus the Comet and so the few who voted for a Comet had their votes counted with the Cromwell. Also a lone KV-85 vote was thrown in with all the JS II votes. I hope I didn't step on too many toes in order to make the results appear cohesive. As far as overall votes within these top four this is how it broke down:

VVSS TYPES: 36%
CROMWELL/COMET: 28%
KV-85/JS-II: 22%
PZ IV: 14%

These 4 categories comprised 73% of the total vote count with the rest 27% being onesies and twosies. Those latter votes were wasted, unfortunately.

Since I hadn't yet sent in the last survey to Mr. Shunsaku Tamiya (THE Mr. Tamiya) we can re-do this one and allow for the new Pz. IV. I'd like to see where those Pz. IV votes will go, so to speak, and maybe we will have less votes for generally obscure tanks which is the same as not voting at all. Therefore if you feel that you are a knowledgeable R/C tanker, please select your three candidate tanks in no particular order. You may e-mail me directly or respond here.

The first thing for me is to try to figure out is which Sherman to vote for!

Thanks, Rich Upton, C.O. S.F. Bay Area Tankers
Old 05-18-2008, 10:08 PM
wackywheelz

Default RE: Survey for Mr. Tamiya

1. JS-2
2. KV-1
3. Cromwell/Comet
Old 05-18-2008, 10:43 PM
Mr Terminator

1.Cromwell A27M
2.Elefant
3.Comet A34
4.M1A2 Abrams SEP

Just re-evaluated,again as to instruction.After reading that Mr Tamiya asked if people wanted the Abrams,I hope it will come along as its the most proven of the modern battle tanks.Lets hope if it does happen that its no more expensive than the Leopard 2.A modern line up I think will appeal to a lot of tankers nowadays,the Challenger 2,Merkava Mk2,Leclerc and even the more intrigueing tanks like the Scrapped MBT 70 and the proposed T200 Black Eagle.I know the latter 2 may be a bridge too far but why not?The other tanks in the range sell so would they in my humble opinion..
Old 05-18-2008, 11:28 PM
BIGMIG

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just curious you have been a member since 6/2005 and you only have one post?? A "survey" ??? Were you been.??? [:-][:-][:-]
BIGMIG
Old 05-19-2008, 01:02 AM
caragan1970

My vote would be for Modern tanks, we have enough WW2 tanks from Tamiya
with only 1 modern Leo 2.

1. 1/16 M1A2 Abrams
2. 1/16 Challenger 2
3. 1/16 Russian T72

OK Richard, since you explain the purpose of this survey

This would be my pick then:

1. Sherman VC Firefly with VVSS
2. British Churchill
3. Russian IS-2 Heavy tank
4. M1A2 Abrams SEP

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz77917.gif
Views:	11
Size:	29.6 KB
ID:	952409   Click image for larger version

Name:	Nj25506.gif
Views:	14
Size:	29.4 KB
ID:	952410   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bg93461.gif
Views:	15
Size:	33.3 KB
ID:	952411  
Old 05-19-2008, 01:10 AM
swathdiver

M18 Buick Hellcat (Gotta be fast!)
M10 Wolverine
A12 Matilda "Queen of the Desert"
M1A2 Abrams (2003 Thunder Run vintage)

Changed again!
Old 05-19-2008, 01:58 AM
GNP

M-18 Hellcat
JS2
Centurian
Old 05-19-2008, 03:31 AM
Ripperupton

My bad, I should've made mention of post-war tanks. The first priority for this survey is for WW II era tanks, but we can't waste the opportunity. I will collect responses for post-war AFVs separately but turn them in at the same time so just go ahead and make 3 choices for the WW II tanks and make choice #4 a post-war pick. I think to pick just one modern is enough it's all relative as I will break it down into percentages. More or less number of votes is irrelevant. Besides when I talked with Mr. Tamiya last time he asked me if "we" wanted the Abrams. I told him that all the clubs are about WWII combat and so wished to see more from that period, but were he to do a modern tank that, of course, the Abrams would be popular, esp. with younger guys due to the Gulf Wars. Frankly, I wouldn't be surprised if it was next since he has basically done all the tanks we've asked for except a different Sherman. I have to admit that the Pershing helped to ease the pain of not having an Easy-8 or VVSS version, but clearly one of my motives for this survey is to plant a bug in their ear again.

By satisfying our desires for a series of WW II tanks Tamiya Inc has created real momentum in the hobby. It's natural to go with historical opponents as subject matter and there is a clearly defined market that way. On the other hand the Leopard II as a model is such a great machine we have wished that such a smooth transmission/gearbox could've been made available for the Panther, etc. that followed, but it was the older technology that was employed. No doubt to keep the price on a parity with the Tigers, etc. The Germans (Krause - Maffei?) had a big part to play in seeing that their baby got produced and with an authentic drive train to boot. I would hope a Tamiya Abrams would use the same unit, but with the turbine sound. That would be a hot set-up.

I'm keeping track of the voting so anyone can make changes until such time as I think everyone has had said what they want. I have not set a dead lline at this point.

I have not visited this forum on a regular basis, concentrating on the Armornut Forum instead I know the guy who started it and it was the forum used to develop the RCACN starting back in 2002 about. Old habits for an old guy. If I'm not mistaken it was one of our members who wrote the first draft of the rules. RCU is a big deal and this and the other tank forums on it are excellent for sure, but there is only so much time in the day. I think I will spend more of my free time here as the Armornut forum is a bit quiet now. Rich
Old 05-19-2008, 03:51 AM
ksoc

BIG,

There is a world outside of this "universe".

Rich,

If I voted on ArmorNuts, do you want us voting again?

If so, my revised list would be

1) VVSS Types (we need to even the odds!)
2) M-18 Hellcat
3) Cromwell/Comet
Modern
4) Abrams
Old 05-19-2008, 05:04 AM
tankman

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

For what it's worth I would like all of the following in 1/16 scale

Elefant / Ferdinand ( please please please )
luchs ( Pzkpfw II Ausf. L )
Jagdpanzer IV/70 ( late )

Best of luck with the survey just hope someone is paying attention to what will sell.
Tankman
Old 05-19-2008, 05:04 AM
herrmill

Received 63 Likes on 47 Posts

Rich,

Thanks for the poll & chance to influence the decision making.

1. PzKw 38(t) Hetzer
2. Churchill III/IV
3. Matilda
4. T-72

Since I've seen research material (1/35 Dragon & Tamiya models) for both the KV-1 & Comet while at HL last June, I'm be hesitant about recommending these to limit the duplication, however a KV-1 / 2 would be nice to see. Same goes for the VVSS variants since that looks certain & will be another poll of its own.

Chuck
Old 05-19-2008, 05:48 AM
westdr6113

Hmmm, so many to choose from...

1. vvss types
2. 38t
3. matilda
4. something from russian T series

The first two I picked because it opens up a little oppertunity for variants

-Don
Old 05-19-2008, 06:09 AM
marshall
My Feedback: (5)

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I would think its time for a British tank. My choices in order would be:
1. Cromwell/Comet
2. Crusader
3. Matilda
Old 05-19-2008, 07:46 AM
killick64

My Choices:

WWII Era

1) ANY VVSS Sherman (Possibly Firefly?)
2) Cromwell/Comet
3) Churchill

Post War:
4) Centurion
Old 05-19-2008, 08:06 AM
Red_Rabbit

Hi

My wishes:

1. KV-1/2
2. PzKw 38(t) Hetzer
3. T-26
4. T-72

RR
Old 05-19-2008, 08:44 AM
Prometheum5

I would buy a Tamiya Maus [&:]...
Something British would also be very cool... Matilda, Cromwell variant, any of those.
Old 05-19-2008, 08:52 AM
pattoncommander

Good luck, lets' see any any such attempt is more than water on a duck's back.

V V SS Sherman 75, 76mm.
Matilda, Crusader Mk IV.
JS-2, KV-1 (85)
Early M-48 to M-48A3
Merkava
Old 05-19-2008, 09:29 AM
Leon01

1. Sherman Jumbo or FireFly
2.CHALLANGER or Abrams
3.Cromwell Challanger 17 pounder
4.Not a Tank but 1/16 Sd. Kfz. 7 8-Ton Personnel Carrier and 88mm set would be nice I think it would sell.
Old 05-19-2008, 10:19 AM
pcomm1

Hi Rich,

Perhaps some background is in order: The TBU is what "makes" the Tamiya rc 1/16 tanks fun and completely unique. Without that feature rc tanks turn into shelf queens pretty fast, and that isn't that much fun when you've just built a model vehicle that is designed to "move".

Tamiya should not lose sight of that concept. Each new Tamiya rc tank release I believe should focus on alternating "friend and foe releases". Right now the US Pershing fills that part (but played an insignificant role in WWII), and I have read that the current Tamiya RC Sherman release is a tank most used in the Pacific Island Campaigns, so an appropriate "tank to tank" fighting ETO Sherman (or Sherman based TD) is absolutely required.

Releasing variants, such as the Panther G then a Jadgpanther kinda misses the "unique point" about Tamiya rc battle capability tanks and to run out of TBUs, while offering your first new releases in several years, seems, well...not a very good idea. Why not include the TBUs with the kit, going forward, and control the items price though increased volume.

I put my votes into 2 categories, WWII and Modern Era MBT. Tamiya should consider introducing a product line of modern 1/16 rc tanks, similar to their 1/35 fine scale static model lineup. I think there is demand, and it could be surprisingly high, maybe greater than WWII types.

WWII Tanks
1. Sherman VVSS any ETO tank fighter variant
2. Chaffee M24 Scout Tank
3. Mk VIII, Cromwell (A27M)

Modern Era MBT
1. Abrams
2. T-72
3. Merkava

And for the certain follow up to the new Tamiya Pz4, how about considering the tank destroyer: JAGDPANZER 1V L/70 LANG with a new tanker figure and TBU included.

John

Old 05-19-2008, 10:30 AM
ArmChairGeneral

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mark IV UK
A7V German
M14/43 Italian
Char B French
M3 Lee USA
Old 05-19-2008, 10:56 AM
YHR

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Sherman Firefly with VVSS
Comet
Churchill
IS 2

And Agree with Pcomm. IR battling or being able to shoot at things, keeps the interest up. Why doesn't full option come with the IR TBU???

I am a little disappointed in the focus on German armour only by all the manufacturers.

At least with a VVSS, the allies could be well represented, with Kangaroos, Priests etc, being built on the chassis.

Half tracks would also be welcome. For IR battling Halftracks could be used strategically. That is you must protect them and the grunts in the back to deliver them to your opponents head quarters. First one to safely "land" an armoured personel carrier in the other teams head quarters wins.
Old 05-19-2008, 11:25 AM
BlizzardBeast

WWII

PzKw 38(t) Hetzer
Maus
Cromwell/Comet
IS2
Pzkpfw II Ausf. L

Modern

Challenger 2
T54/55
T72
Old 05-19-2008, 11:27 AM
Panther F

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts

Longtime member, first time poster. [sm=lol.gif] At least you don't camp out here like some do.

My choices are about the same as the others:

M10 or anything with VVSS suspension
Churchill (any version)
JS II
Old 05-19-2008, 11:35 AM
hdbeast

I say

1- A VVSS Sherman
2- Cromwell/Comet
3- Something Russian

Bigmig[sm=47_47.gif]

Old 05-19-2008, 12:05 PM
Jeff489
My Feedback: (12)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

1. JS-2
2. Comet
3. M1 Abrams

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.