Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

What Everyone Needs For Their Tanks

Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

What Everyone Needs For Their Tanks

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2008, 09:45 AM
Red_Rabbit

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: What Everyone Needs For Their Tanks

ORIGINAL: ArmChairGeneral

Add a silver helmet and you could pass for a Cylon :P
Oh Cylon's - those were my favorites (especially their ships) back in eighties.
But for those glasses has not given any specs (resolution expecially) and the other ones suggested had only 320*240. I don't mean that they are not "workable", but for good immersion it should be more IMHO.

Yours,

RR
Old 06-14-2008, 11:24 AM
Tanque

Received 95 Likes on 82 Posts

If 320*240 resolution isn't sufficient then for about $60 more you can buy goggles with 640X480 resolution.
The transmitter is the same type the Hobby Lobby system uses also marketed by Swann, they come up on sale here at Fry's Electronics occassionally for $50.

There are several FPV ( First Person Video) sites around. Head tilt tracking gyros, it's all out there. Like many in the tank corner of the hobby I've had cameras in my( larger) models for years. They're a lot of fun.

Jerry
Old 06-14-2008, 12:02 PM
Red_Rabbit

ORIGINAL: Tanque

If 320*240 resolution isn't sufficient then for about $60 more you can buy goggles with 640X480 resolution.
The transmitter is the same type the Hobby Lobby system uses also marketed by Swann, they come up on sale here at Fry's Electronics occassionally for $50.

There are several FPV ( First Person Video) sites around. Head tilt tracking gyros, it's all out there. Like many in the tank corner of the hobby I've had cameras in my( larger) models for years. They're a lot of fun.

Jerry
*blushing* Yep, I knew that there are better ones in market. Was just pointing out, that those sales-adds does not allways tells those little details which make difference between good experiense and bad ones.

BTW: Is it possible to have some pictures of Your camera installations. And a tip or two too maybe, I would appreciate it alot.

Yours,

RR
Old 06-14-2008, 01:13 PM
Tanque

Received 95 Likes on 82 Posts

RR I installed two higher resolution cameras, one each in a Japanese Type74, concealed in the IR projector mounted on the upper side of the mantlet. One of my Tiger I models has a pinhole aperture camera mounted behind the mantlet. These are both 1/10 scale models. I used a transmitter once sold by Super Circuits but stopped using it as I never completed the process to apply for a FCC license required here to operate a device of its power. It was very reliable and worked extremely well. I've tried several other general use 2.4Ghz systems since and nothing seems to work as well as the Swann system for the price. I built several downlink kits and receivers but nothing at least nothing that doesn't require a license, matches the Swann. The Swann system comes complete with Camera/transmitter, receiver, power supply for home use and all the cables you need. It is a simple plug in the the VR goggles. And it can be had for a small price. The range is rated at 700 meters but I can't even see my tank from that far away. As with most tank people I never get very far away from the model so range is not a problem.

Swann also offers different lenses for their cameras, wide ( fish eye) angle and assorted others.
You simply screw them off/on. Focusing is simple.

As I don't wish any longer to dedicate a camera /model I made a very simple attachment for some of my models that allows me to locate the camera/transmitter right on the cupola and that's it. I can move it from model to model in a few min. I don't try to transmit from within the model as they are all metal and I'm sure the range would be severely limited if not elimimnated. You can get much more elaborate but I don't care to. It works well. I generally just use it on the same model but it will work on any of those I have. Inexpensive fun.

Jerry
Old 06-14-2008, 04:19 PM
blitzkrieg65

ORIGINAL: Tanque

You can get this setup for a looooot less

You need these:
http://tiny.cc/KmbX3

And one of these sets:

http://tiny.cc/SkQf5

And you are done.

I ran one of my Panthers with this same wireless camera (without the googles) and my very first attempt yeilded this video( captured directly to my pc):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s2XYYpiV1Ws

So it is very doable for a lot less...

Jerry

Now we can go 6 against 6 with this unit added on!!!

http://www.pinecomputer.com/212aureun.html

You guys got me to get out my camera and mount it on my Walker Bulldog so I am back to on patrol in the front yard!

Got to go pick up a new camera to get some shots!

The Blitz[sm=shades_smile.gif]
Old 06-14-2008, 08:46 PM
Leon01

A little much in price but it sure would make for some fun tank battles just using the camera view like others said. Would be nice if you could set it up were a team could use them one as a driver the other guys as the cannon man. Sorry if somebody already said this I did not read every post.
Old 06-15-2008, 06:30 AM
pzrwest

I know there are cheaper ways to do this with a cam and a monitor but with the goggles it would give you the closed in feeling of being inside the tank. Whether it was for IR battleing or airsoft battleing still think it would be cool. But it is exspensive as stated
Old 06-18-2008, 11:42 PM
thedonut

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

In this one the camera follows the movement of your head...

http://www.gowiththeshark.com

Old 06-19-2008, 01:59 AM
borealis

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

I tested a Bandai Stug IV with camera and goggles just a couple of months ago, and I must tell you: that's the future of RC tank battles. Immersive, realistic.
Just give it enough time.
Old 06-19-2008, 08:42 AM
MyRcFun

How do you guys team play? Do you share the same transmitter for driver and gunner commands or do you operate two with the same frequency..?
Old 06-19-2008, 09:01 AM
wackywheelz

If using HL stock radios you could run two transmitters with the same crystals, driver has the left stick input unplugged (drive only), commander/gunner has the right stick unplugged (turret/gun only)
Old 06-21-2008, 12:08 AM
doctorfawkes

I like the video goggles, but to me its also a little bit unnerving having your vision completely obscured (I also feel you're sort of wasting potential if you don't try to stereoscope 2 cameras with that set up, but I digress).

I have one of the 9v wireless cams, and the receiver that plugs into a RCA jack. But, currently no portable TV (I just drive it arround my friend's lawn).
So, I have a question, Has anyone tried taking the eyepiece from a video camera and turning that into video monocle? Any thoughts about fesibility? because i've been thinking about hunting through the local junk stores to try to find an old video camera to rip apart.

TBH, I'm not sure what would go into making a RCA adapter. This is all just theory right now, but would like to know what the forum thinks.
Old 06-21-2008, 12:42 AM
swathdiver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd be all for that! Maybe they could create a special battle session for those who wish to battle like that.

Do you think someone makes or could make a working periscope so the driver can drive through that? Maybe have it attached to a servo so he could swivel it back and forth? For the TC, the camera's eye would look out through the vision blocks in the TCs cupola and be on a servo to swivel around. Should be relatively easy to do right? I think I just added $200 to the cost of my next tank!

My wireless camera now is wired up to the 7.2v battery on the tank. As the charge dies down so does the picture quality. If I do internal cameras I guess they could be powered by 9v batteries but would like to see if a higher capacity battery like a Venom 4200 or 5000 would prevent the wavy lines like my 3600 gets.
Old 07-05-2008, 02:57 AM
blitzkrieg65

Here is a video of my Guard Dog on Patrol! I think it would be great to battle with a camera on board and limited terrain vision time periods! And I have been practicing now for a couple of years so I will be ready!!!

The Blitz

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFL4JJv_3Jg
Old 07-05-2008, 03:16 AM
wackywheelz

Nice mate, have left a comment
Old 07-05-2008, 09:59 AM
Panther F

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts

Nice work! [sm=thumbs_up.gif]

How long would it take you to run down there if someone decided to help themselves to your tank?
Old 07-06-2008, 05:14 PM
blitzkrieg65

OK a New video looking only through the on board camera of the Walker Bulldog, I take the tank through some new areas and find a few targets along the way!!!

Panther F, Don't worry I have accounted for the possiblity of someone thinking no one can see, it would not be as easy to do as it appears! Don't try it Check out the video!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2TsgqZC8Fjk

The Blitz
Old 07-07-2008, 05:28 AM
Matdragon

ORIGINAL: thedonut

In this one the camera follows the movement of your head...

http://www.gowiththeshark.com

nice! if you fitted this in the commanders hatch you could be like the commander and look around asif you were actually their in the tank!!
Old 07-07-2008, 06:03 AM
Panther F

Nice video Blitz! [sm=thumbs_up.gif] So how hard is this and what is the investing cost?
Old 07-07-2008, 08:50 AM
wackywheelz

Stock S&S plastic gearbox tank + portable TV + cheap wireless camera/receiver package = not too costly
Old 07-07-2008, 11:50 AM
blitzkrieg65

Panther F Wackywheels is right but it depends on what you want to do! You could do the hook up to the TV for about $ 150.00 but I wanted the little screen that I could put it on my transmitter and take the tank to different areas and explore other areas with out having to see the tank! I wish I would have bought the small screen that has a recorder along with it, it hold up to five hours of video! Check it out!

http://www.pinecomputer.com/2wilcdmore.html

Hey Matgragon have you got a cost $ on that shark system it does look cool!

The Blitz
Old 07-07-2008, 11:56 AM
Panther F

What brand of equipment (wireless camera) are you using? Not that I want to use this in any type of battle, but seeing your video of it in action has me thinking.
Old 07-07-2008, 12:01 PM
blitzkrieg65

Panther F after getting burned on some cheapo stuff i now get all my stuff from here this is the camera that I am using!

http://www.pinecomputer.com/20miwicocawi.html

The Blitz
Old 07-07-2008, 12:15 PM
Panther F

I see. That doesn't list the receiver that's needed?
Old 07-07-2008, 01:19 PM
blitzkrieg65

Any 2.4 ghz receiver that has channel 1-4!

The Blitz