Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

Big VsTank Update - Metal Tracks, IR Target, Sherman, Type 90

Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Big VsTank Update - Metal Tracks, IR Target, Sherman, Type 90

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2008, 10:26 PM
gbergevin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Big VsTank Update - Metal Tracks, IR Target, Sherman, Type 90

Based on the fact that the Type 90 is incorporating a new light set up, and it's first year of new production is 08...I really think it will have new electronics. Still waiting on official word. I also asked for a test unit, so I can A. Test it. B. Tell you how different it is from the old Marui runs.

For the record, the Leo gearbox is the worst of the bunch...just different enough from the Abrams to be irritating. The clutch sound can be minimized by making the clutch slip less - using a stronger clutch spring. This will increase your turning radius. Alternatively, you can make it slip more quietly, by smoothing down the clutch teeth. This will tighten your turning radius. I've done both, both void your warranty, and neither method is endorsed by VsTank.
Old 08-01-2008, 10:43 PM
pcsguy88

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm not too worried about voiding a warranty when it would cost 2/3rds the price of the tank to sip it off for repairs. I've had the gearbox apart before because it was rattling and a 1cm long cable that looked to be covered in solder fell out. Maybe this was a broken brush from the motor? I'll tinker with the clutchless option until I can get some new boards. Still hoping I can cram my extra T-72 gearbox in there. Glad to see you online, I had just sent you a pm.
Old 08-01-2008, 11:59 PM
Aslvrfrost98csvt

you could always put the hl S&S board in your leopard 2
Old 08-02-2008, 12:21 AM
pcsguy88

I'm just patiently waiting for the mentioned upgrade packages from Steve. Until then, I will quietly purchase the new T-72, 2008 Abrams and the Type 90 so I can have 3 IR tanks roving the hood. I'll turn my Leo into an IR and keep my olive T-72 as my only shooter. 4 IR's will be a nice battle. Hope to own them by the end of summer.
Old 08-02-2008, 02:40 AM
TWHTALMT

Hi gbergevin,

I was wondering if you have any idea whether VS will be releasing any hard plastic thread set for the T-72.
Old 08-02-2008, 04:40 AM
pcsguy88

ORIGINAL: TWHTALMT

Hi gbergevin,

I was wondering if you have any idea whether VS will be releasing any hard plastic thread set for the T-72.
I would take plastic or metal. The rubber treads grip so well, I can't turn the thing on carpet without throwing them.
Old 08-02-2008, 05:24 AM
Matdragon

Depends on your driving style which tracks suit you most. i have been thinking about getting an old pair of rubber tracks and somehow sticking bits on them to grip to stuff, mabe little thumb tak's or something. just for fun!

cheers,

Matt
Old 08-02-2008, 09:42 AM
gbergevin

Metal tracks are in development at Vs right now, for the Tiger. If they say 'this is great, we can sell these for all our tanks,' the T72 will get metal tracks. If the tracks don't work out - due to weight, cost, manufacturing - then the T72 will see plastic tracks at some point.

When, I'm not sure. Development is going in three big areas - Sherman and beyond tank production (the KV2 is basically ready to roll off the line), metal tracks, and new electronics (I'm doing solids on the new controller!). The controller/electronics stuff is the only stuff I can't speak freely about. But rest assured, upgrade tracks are an automatic sale, and easy to crank out in huge quantity, so they'll be out sooner or later. The T72 is a huge seller, too, in all colors, so Vs knows there is money to be made there. They've got a T72 version of their bag set ready, and I've seen a couple of other add ons for it as well. Patience
Old 08-02-2008, 01:00 PM
googlydoogly

Has VS ever thought about "upgrading" their T-72? Meaning, how about making a modern T-72 with RA all over it? Maybe even converting it to a T-90?

They've upgraded their Tiger Is and made a late and mid-production models, so I thought it may be a good idea to upgrade their T-72 also.

Just a thought.[&:]
Old 08-02-2008, 01:42 PM
gbergevin

I haven't heard anything, but Russia has become a huge customer...they're buying tons of T72s, and have already ordered 2500 KV2s. The US ordered 50. More Russian/Soviet based designs are likely. I'd like a T84 myself.
Old 08-02-2008, 09:31 PM
TWHTALMT

ORIGINAL: pcsguy88

I would take plastic or metal. The rubber treads grip so well, I can't turn the thing on carpet without throwing them.
Haha..not to mention the drastic reduction in speed when you use rubber tracks.
Old 08-02-2008, 09:50 PM
TWHTALMT

ORIGINAL: googlydoogly

Has VS ever thought about "upgrading" their T-72? Meaning, how about making a modern T-72 with RA all over it? Maybe even converting it to a T-90?

They've upgraded their Tiger Is and made a late and mid-production models, so I thought it may be a good idea to upgrade their T-72 also.

Just a thought.[&:]

Maybe with all reactive armor and stuff,that will be so cool [sm=shades_smile.gif]

I was thinking of stripping down my T-72 hull and adding reactive armor to it.Anybody has any expertise in doing so can please kindly advise me
Old 08-02-2008, 10:02 PM
gbergevin

ORIGINAL: TWHTALMT

..not to mention the drastic reduction in speed when you use rubber tracks.
You can cut that reduction way down by adjusting the gearbox in it rubber mounts to add a bit of slack to the tracks.

I was thinking of stripping down my T-72 hull and adding reactive armor to it.Anybody has any expertise in doing so can please kindly advise me
I really want to add reactive armor to my Abrams, TUSK style. I'd love to hear of a method better than cuttings tons of PS blocks...
Old 08-04-2008, 10:06 AM
TWHTALMT

ORIGINAL: gbergevin

You can cut that reduction way down by adjusting the gearbox in it rubber mounts to add a bit of slack to the tracks.
Thanks bro..For me..I stretch the rubber tracks slightly by pulling it..Seem to work as well..Well we see how it goes
Old 08-05-2008, 12:06 AM
calvinlo

Just read the announcement from Vstank Website

"Many people discuss about NEW electronics, but please don't worry, NEW electronics wasn't mean your current VsTank or existing VsTank will be outdated. Actually consistency and continuity is very important in our product development. So, whatever your VsTank 5 years ago can still battle with the current VsTank. The new electonics will have upgrade package provided to all VsTank players. And to keep the cost down on RTR, no RTR will be relased under new electronics. We will annouce the detail later on."

Hmm...from this statement, does it mean that all future RTR e.g. KV-2, Sherman...etc will run and sound like the Tiger unless we buy the optional 'new electronics' package to upgrade them ourselves? Or is the 'new electronics' merely refering to the 2.4Ghz Tx with proportional speed? [sm=confused.gif][sm=confused.gif]
Old 08-05-2008, 06:20 AM
gbergevin

ORIGINAL: calvinlo

The new electonics will have upgrade package provided to all VsTank players. And to keep the cost down on RTR, no RTR will be relased under new electronics.
What he is saying here is that the new electronics are backwards compatable - you're old tanks are upgradeable; and that the new electronics will not be pre-installed in new tanks - they're upgrade parts.

Steve is still developing the release plan for the new electronics, and I can't tell you a whole lot about it, but it is public knowledge that digital proportional control, 2.4G, and new user controllable sounds and lights, as well as a laser module are all part of the plan. To avoid losing customers with higher priced tanks, and avoid the cost of building and marketing two unique lines of tanks, Vs, at least to start, only offer the electronics in a few upgrade levels.

VsTank will continue to improve they're tanks...the KV2 is more advanced than the T72, and the Sherman is better still. For now, though, the cost of the new electronics means the highest level of performance will only be available as an upgrade.
Old 08-05-2008, 07:19 AM
Panzerfaust77

How do these VS tanks compare to HLs? I know they are a smaller scale but the quality does look higher.
Old 08-05-2008, 07:44 AM
Gex

I can't speak for everyone but IMHO the quality is exceptional. My Tiger is extremely detailed and a very smooth runner.
Old 08-05-2008, 07:47 AM
calvinlo

The new electonics will have upgrade package provided to all VsTank players. And to keep the cost down on RTR, no RTR will be relased under new electronics.
What he is saying here is that the new electronics are backwards compatable - you're old tanks are upgradeable; and that the new electronics will not be pre-installed in new tanks - they're upgrade parts.

Steve is still developing the release plan for the new electronics, and I can't tell you a whole lot about it, but it is public knowledge that digital proportional control, 2.4G, and new user controllable sounds and lights, as well as a laser module are all part of the plan. To avoid losing customers with higher priced tanks, and avoid the cost of building and marketing two unique lines of tanks, Vs, at least to start, only offer the electronics in a few upgrade levels.

VsTank will continue to improve they're tanks...the KV2 is more advanced than the T72, and the Sherman is better still. For now, though, the cost of the new electronics means the highest level of performance will only be available as an upgrade.
Hi gbergevin

Thanks for the reply. Just to make sure that I understand you correctly.

So the statement by Vstank means that - IN ORDER for them to remain competitive (price wise), all future RTR e.g. KV-2, Sherman...etc will run and sound MORE OR LESS like the present Tiger I UNLESS we buy the optional 'new electronics' package to upgrade them ourselves. Right?
Old 08-05-2008, 08:18 AM
shenlonco
My Feedback: (2)

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

The VS tanks are much more durable than the 1/16 hen long tanks...you buy it and ride it ...no refixing is needed
Old 08-05-2008, 09:13 AM
gbergevin

Hi gbergevin

Thanks for the reply. Just to make sure that I understand you correctly.

So the statement by Vstank means that - IN ORDER for them to remain competitive (price wise), all future RTR e.g. KV-2, Sherman...etc will run and sound MORE OR LESS like the present Tiger I UNLESS we buy the optional 'new electronics' package to upgrade them ourselves. Right?

Thats not quite what I'm saying. In terms of performance, each new tank will out perform the Tiger. The T72 does, the KV2 will, the Sherman will again, etc, etc. The improvements will be incremental. As far as sound is concerned, who knows...Vs knows players want better/different sound. I KNOW sound is a major component of the big upcomming upgrade, but the basic RTR tanks will evolve in that regard as well. I don't know how much, or when, but they will! Incremental improvements, evolution, has been VsTanks game since the begining. Every year, every new model...little changes, little improvements. The new electronics present a marketing challenge to Vs, that right now is being solved by making them an add on. 'Regular' people will still be able to grab a nice RTR tank at $110-120 or so, while us hardcore guys will be able to get max performance at yet to be determined premium.
Old 08-05-2008, 09:33 AM
shenlonco
My Feedback: (2)

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

I was taliking to Steve about the electronis a while back ..I am going to E-mail him and give him some more imput on the NEW electronics venture.. I been giving Steve ideas from the day the first tanks came out and he did get some of the ideas i gave him done to improve the tanks but like gbergevin says it takes time and each tank that comes out seems to improve just a bit.
Old 08-05-2008, 09:57 AM
calvinlo

Thanks for the clarification!