Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

1/6 Tiger I build

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2009, 03:30 PM
Monotheist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 1/6 Tiger I build

Some amazing details added there. Going to be a great looking tank when its all finished so i look forward to seeing more pics as you progress further.
Old 09-20-2009, 03:33 PM
rivetcounter

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Good on yer mate.

I have been working on these parts for a while these are the end caps for the road wheels they are entirely scratch built apart from the turned down centre bolts, the two bolts above are 10ba and the brass locking plates are scratch built

Old 09-21-2009, 07:28 AM
Flyn Chris

That's some fine detail work you have done there!
Old 09-22-2009, 03:19 PM
rivetcounter

These parts are hot of the press front mudguards supplied by Mark 1 Tanks these are the strongest mudguards available they are made from steel though they lack the rivet detail but being a rivet counter I’m sure I can sort that out, currently no one makes the correct front mudguards with the correct hinges, I modified them with the correct hinges brazed into position, the hinges are brass and I have spent some time marking drilling and cutting them to the right shape and size there is still some work to do before they are finished in the pictures you will see a spare hinge you will also see the jib mount which is scratch built to the correct dimensions I have only partially finished one mudguard and wont have time to complete the other before next week so it will be another week before these ate finally in place

Old 09-22-2009, 08:22 PM
torpedochief

Brother,

This is going to be a Masterpiece of Tiger Modelling! Lookig forward to the end product! I would like to see the motors and how you you get it set up.

The wife says when I grow up I might be able to get one of these.

Don
Old 09-22-2009, 11:22 PM
james-06scl

Wow! That's a beauty. Obviously your very talented, thanks very much for posting. Looking forward to more.

Old 09-24-2009, 05:31 AM
rivetcounter

Don, all in good time my friend the motors will be in there in the next few weeks then I will host some pictures.

Wives what can I say, it took me a few yeas to convince her that we needed one,
Looking forward to your new book I will have to suggest it to the boss then I may get it for Christmas

James, I honestly look upon my self as an average builder, there are people hear who are vastly more talented than me, this build like any other model has more than it’s fair share of detail faults, but thanks for your praise.
Old 10-16-2009, 04:09 AM
rivetcounter

Carrying on from where I left off I have now completed the hinges and also added all the rivet detail all I need to do now is add a wing nut to each mudguard and then they will be completed, all the nut’s, bolts, screws and rivets on this build came from Polly Model Engineering http://www.pollymodelengineering.co.uk/ they can supply metric and BA though for some reason rivets are AF you will find them very helpful and they do mail order.

This is the front mudguard with the catch fitted.

These are the wing nuts that I will be using they just need finishing off and a tap running through to clean up the threads these came from wecohe http://www.wecohe.de/shop/index.php?...word=wing+nuts

I changed the casting numbers on the rear engine deck from this

To this latter type

Old 10-18-2009, 12:40 PM
rivetcounter

After spending most of the day recovering from the October Fest I thought I would post more pictures.

This is the tow bracket supplied by Armourtek the castle nuts where scratch built and the cut-outs where done with a Dremal these are very easy to make and there are only a few on a Tiger, the round inspection cover is scratch built with a conical bolt

Carrying on with the rear plate I have added all the exhaust bolts along with the square stand off’s for the exhaust shield’s the hull extensions are scratch built these just need finishing with the torch marks and the weld lines the working convoy light is Stave Winston as is the reflector, the armoured track adjustment covers are Armourtek as is the modified Armourtek crew heater cover this has been reshaped and casting numbers added this comes from the Tiger II, the rear mudguard hinges are scratch built and need finishing all the tools which are not shown will be Mike Stannard the Exhausts will be Mark 1 Tanks with scratch built caps the heat shields for the exhausts are Mark 1 Tanks these have already been battered and dented I will show pictures of all this at a latter date.

This is a modified Armourtek armoured guard this sits in front of the driver’s visor

And hear is the completed driver’s vision port these parts are Armourtek

This is a modified Armourtek kougleblende this has been reshaped to the correct dimensions with a Dremal and the casting affect added

Old 12-09-2009, 05:52 AM
rivetcounter

1/6 Tiger I Muzzle Break

This morning I received my late muzzle break for my Tiger build and very pleased I am with this product these are made by Hugo Schittich and Werner Melzer of MS Modell-Panzer-Fabrik in Germany, people who know me will know that one of the things I have been working on is a scale drawing of the late muzzle break and was planning a trip to a museum to get measurements still this has saved me a lot of trouble.

The Product,
For detail fiends like myself this is a 7 piece construction plus the brass locking nut and alloy plate, the main body of the break is fully machined from cream ABS all other parts are again fully machined from alloy with a brass locking ring, one thing you will notice is how light this product is and also how well detailed it is, clean up will be a minimum and once fitted the break with it’s screw thread will be fully detachable just to add that little extra detail, the part come with full fitting instructions and a few tips on cleaning up the ABS.

The larger early muzzle break is also available, if you are planning on a late Tiger I build remember that not all late Tigers had the small muzzle break some still hade the larger break fitted including a few Tiger II both types of turret.

This product is not designed to be used in conjunction with either a barrel venting blank firing system (Armourtek) or pyro

Price including delivery in Europe is €68.90 and they do take Paypal available from [email protected]

Old 12-09-2009, 09:08 AM
Duca

WOW  !!!!!!!
Old 12-09-2009, 01:00 PM
yellowshaker
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yea... WOW just about says it all for me!!!! That thing is amazing. Keep up the good work and please keep the  pics coming. Perhaps some video when it's completed??
Old 12-09-2009, 04:11 PM
rivetcounter

Thanks guys there is more to come and I will post some vid at the end of the build
Old 12-09-2009, 10:53 PM
torpedochief

Rivet,

Just wow...I mean what else is there to say? I have 2 questions. How much extra details that did not come with the kit are you having to add and or make? And, from opening the box to the first run, howlong will it take you to complete?

Facinating!

Don
Old 12-10-2009, 01:26 AM
HG1980
Banned

beautiful work...wow!
Old 12-10-2009, 04:37 AM
rivetcounter

Don, this Tiger started life as a Mark 1 tank these come ready built and just require the electrics fitting and painting most of Mark 1 customers buy the tanks fully built ready to run, this particular Tiger started life as an older version which didn’t have the detail that the new version has and as you can see I wanted one with lots of detail but didn’t want to pay to have one built to my own spec, I have had this Tiger for just over 3 years and it has been in the building stage ever since, when you ask how much extra detail well in this case there is only a heavily modified turret left of the original tank that is because the lower hull has been replaced with new as the new chassis has better tracks a chain drive motor with vastly improved power the alloy upper body was built so I can access the inside like a Tamiya tank the original was box like as in the upper body slides over a slightly smaller version of the upper body this includes exhausts, front drivers plate etc this I found annoying so had to go hence the time consuming rebuild but I also get to change things the way I want them like the main deck is in two pieces I can remove the engine vents without lifting the turret and deck, think of the build the same as writing a book you can rite a chapter give it a week or write a few further chapters then go back to the first and alter a lot of the wording it’s just like changing tools or the headlamp or the engine grills, time wise though I have owned the Tiger for 3 years it’s spent a year in storage in England while we where living in Belgium we came back for 6 months then returned hear on another 2-3 year contract this time the Tiger is with me so all in all I have spent just over a year working on the build with another 6 months to completion though I said this last year, to date I have spent nearly £6800 or $9800 on this build, the digger the tank the longer it takes to build.

After Christmas I will be adding an analysis of the divisions tanks which is SS102 in Normandy I will also be adding SS101 and 503 to this so people can see how complex the spec of Tigers where
Old 12-15-2009, 06:19 PM
rivetcounter

I have been working on the exhausts recently what I’m going to do is use the Mark 1 exhausts with some modifications mainly the top with the baffle plate this I have turned from alloy and brass and is as close to scale as I can get them, the Tiger will always have exhaust shields so no reason to go overboard on detail except in the places that can be seen.

Old 12-16-2009, 03:56 PM
Monotheist

That is one insane Tiger! I would love to have the patience and skill you have and apply that to my KT
Old 12-16-2009, 05:40 PM
rivetcounter

Thanks for the comments but let me assure you it has its faults that niggle me also it never started this way it was only supposed to have a few upgrades
Old 12-16-2009, 05:48 PM
Panther F

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts

Gawd, very cool stuff there. Talk about Heavy Metal, how much will this weight?

I've seen the size difference between the Stuart and the Tiger I and I still can't imagine ever having a 1/6 TI around here.

Old 12-16-2009, 05:52 PM
rivetcounter

Give me a few days and I will post a few scale pictures of my 1/16 Tiger and the 1/6 Tiger along with track links from 1/16-1/6 and 1/1
Old 01-03-2010, 05:40 PM
tigrotto1a6

Hi to all!

I'm new in this forum, I'm Andrea, from Italy and I have a Alex Shlakter tiger I (mid) tiger (the same tanks of mark1).
I've also decided to modify it because of its low and wrong details.
I've approached it in another way, I have not replaced the upper hull with armortek parts except for few details, the others are hand modified or aftermarket pieces.
I'll post eventually my WIP, or if is not forbidden, I can post a link of the WIP pages on an italian forum.
My tank is ALMOST finished and have some unique features that only rivetcounter's tank have.
rivetcounter you are doing an excellent work!
I have some questions, I saw casting numbers that I was unable to find anywhere, also with panzerbasics photos, for example the snorkel cover castings and the rear engine deck.
On panzerbasic DVD I was able to identify only few numbers, so for me the snorkel cover was "106".
Looking on the net I found also a casting on an engine grill, it was on the munster sturmtiger, only on the outer side of the left openable ventilation grill, that is the same of the tiger mid/late models. It is a Dkr part number.
On the same tank you can find 2 different castings on the engine armours, A drk part number and the other made probably by other manufacturer, I think it will be useful

So, GREATJOB!!!!
The only "wrong thing" I can found is an armortek defect on the front of the tank, the MG ball position. The ball armour must touch the glacis. ;-)

PS:I will send you soon a PM with info request ;-)
If you have questions, please ask, I'm not an expert, but I had some problems in finding resources of the original tank.
Just to show my tank few months ago:

I have also videos about it, but, it's not my topic
Old 01-04-2010, 04:48 AM
rivetcounter

Welcome to the forum Andrea, and thank you for your kind comments, I have received your PM and will respond as soon as I have gathered all the information you require.

Hear is the link to Andrea’s excellent build, I have had a brief look at all 40 pages there is some excellent quality work hear.
http://freeforumzone.leonardo.it/dis...px?idd=7717606
Old 01-04-2010, 05:04 AM
tigrotto1a6

Thank you for kind words and for posting the link
I'll wait your message!
Thanks!
Old 02-03-2010, 04:01 PM
rivetcounter

I haven’t posted anything for a while but work has been done some not very interesting, I have also been in touch with a guy from Italy building a Mid Tiger I with some very interesting features, there is only 43 pages but have a look at Andrea’s build http://freeforumzone.leonardo.it/dis...px?idd=7717606

Just as a comparison hear are a few pictures of track links the smallest is 1/16 then 1/6 and the largest is 1/1 a resin copy

This is an Armourtek starter plate modified by Steve whinstone and then modified by myself Steve had missed out this very important feature on the rear of the plate

And hear is another important feature missed from builds, it’s a bracket for a chain this held the MG plug in place rather like a Panther, I have scoured every book and picture I have in my possession and cant find a single picture with the plug fitted I can find pictures of the canvas bag over the MG and attached to the ball but not the plug, this was a feature seen on Mid and late Tigers, thanks to Andrea for pointing it out this is one thing I did miss.

The Wanne is now ready for zimmerit and to achieve the most authentic finish I have attached all the ancillary parts like the cable brackets which are Mike Stannard, along with the C shackle brackets and the jack brackets also Mike Stannard, alloy has been primed and some parts have been taped ready for the Milliput zimmerit treatment

This is another interesting feature I have been working on for a while it’s the working MG
http://s60.photobucket.com/albums/h3...t=DSCF5991.flv

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.