Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

1/6 Tiger I build

Old 12-09-2010, 03:05 PM
RSEA

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: 1/6 Tiger I build

Rivetcounter,

I'm looking for paints to repaint my Tiger. I have some questions about what paint you used to paint your big 1/6 Tiger.

For paint work on this model, you said you created a 50/50 mix of XF-60 Dark Yellow and XF-59 Desert Yellow. I agree that XF-60 alone, looks too greenish. What paint did you use for the Red Brown and Olive Green? I'm thinking of using XF-64 Red Brown and maybe XF-58 Olive Green instead of XF-61 Dark Green (the Dark Green might be too dark).

For your Yellow did you mix the the two Yellows 50/50, THEN mix that result 50/50 with X-20A Thinner? Did you thin your Red Brown and Green 50% with thinner too? Also, the 9 jars of each yellow that you bought, were they 1/3 ounce (10ml) jars? It is difficult to tell the size from your photos. How many 3/4 ounce (23ml) jars do think would be needed to base coat a 1/16 Tiger? My tank, unlike yours, will mostly be covered with the Yellow, with smaller portions of Red Brown and Green used for cammo.

What paint did you use for the Red Oxide Primer?
Old 12-10-2010, 02:08 AM
rivetcounter

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Resa,
Daft as it sounds I just used off the shelf red oxide primer in a rattle can the make I used will not be available in the US but you want one that is a little more red than brown looking, XF64 Red Brown this is a very good shade and XF58 Olive Green as you say XF61 Dark Green is several shades to dark, to thin the paint I used Tamiya thinners filled the jar I have just emptied by about half (50%) gave the jar a good shake to clean out the jar added that to the paint then shook again, for shading I painted the base colour then added 100% of either black or white to the remaining paint and 100% thinners this was then painted on to the tank black mix for raised areas, tools, welds and folds white mix was used in the centre of panels then using the base colour again with 100% thinners you paint over your shading allowing the shading to bleed through to the desired amount

I then added the camouflage and repeated the process adding black/white to the green and brown and again with green/brown plus 100% thinners paint over the shading again to the desired effect

Old 12-12-2010, 07:47 PM
RSEA

Rivet,

I am not following you on the 100% part.. I'm not quite sure what you mean by 100%. I will state what I think you mean, to make sure I understood you correctly or not.

"I painted the base colour then added 100% of black or white to the remaining paint". I sprayed my base coat, after which I had an unknown amount of paint left in the jar. I then poured in black or white paint into the base coat jar until the jar was filled. Thus filling the jar to 100% capacity.

"and 100% thinnners". My jar is now full of left over base coat paint, mixed until full with black (or white). I now add 100% thinner to that.. Maybe I am equaling my base coat remainder plus black (or white) with an equal amount of thinner? In essence, mixing my 1st jar with a 2nd jar of an equal amount of thinner (a 50/50% mix).

"then using the base colour again with 100% thinners you paint over your shading". Next I am painting over my shading with a mixture of equals part base yellow and equals part thinner a 50/50 mix of base yellow and thinner?

Did I understand you correctly? Thanks, in advance, for clarifying this.

Old 05-10-2011, 11:08 AM
rivetcounter

This is a project that I have had in mind ever since these radio sets from Panzerworks came available however they had to wait until I had enough spare time to justify installing them another thing I wanted was the drivers instrument panel though this had to be scratch built along with the transmition housing remember this is a working model and there are two large motors in front of the trasmition, so not all the detail can be done.
I ordered the radio sets in kit form as there was a modification I had to have more of this latter so I ordered 10W,S.c transmitter and x2 UKw.E.e receivers along with the intercom set http://www.panzerwerk.com//index.php...emart&Itemid=1 as usual these arrived quickly and the detail is very good these were cleaned up painted and assembled along with a LED in each radio to illuminate the dials

And with the LED’s at night

There is still a lot of work to be done to the radios this will be done when I get more spare time along with more detail around the driver and radio operators’ position the seats will also be added when time permits along with more detail in the turret
Old 05-10-2011, 11:43 AM
yellowshaker
My Feedback: (1)

This thing is beyond excellent!
Old 09-25-2011, 02:10 PM
rivetcounter

Last month I added more detail to the interior this was planned some time back along with other details that will be added over winter.

The driver’s seat was purchased from Panzerworks in America this is made from black resin strange colour but works very well and if you do rub through the paint who’s to tell the radio operators seat was scratch built along with the back rest

The next job was to select 2 dolly’s for this I used 2 of the older type ones with the early head sculpts as these would hardly be seen in the tank then came the fun part of cutting of one leg each so they could fit with the motors in place, Robert don’t look.

Once a leg was amputated it was time to dress them in appropriate uniform along with head phones and throat mikes plus some maps, no doubt this will be used by others in the future

A through the hatch shot with internal lighting no doubt this will also be used

And some internal shots showing the internal lighting along with instrument lighting

More detail to come over winter.
Old 09-25-2011, 02:41 PM
torpedochief

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Uh. . . . Well. . . .I . . . Uh. Mark will you adopt me?

Don
Old 09-25-2011, 03:06 PM
Airbrushler

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

OHMY!!!
I thought that was a real radio...lol
i was like i wonder where he got that...lol
Great Work

Old 09-25-2011, 03:11 PM
yellowshaker
My Feedback: (1)

Mark's work never ceases to amaze me. Always top notch. this is why he is the Rivetcounter!
Old 09-25-2011, 05:50 PM
Buckeye36
My Feedback: (3)

OMG!!!!![X(]
Old 09-25-2011, 08:28 PM
Rebellion13

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

I'm doing the same thing in 1/35 scale [X(] lol. Wow this is truly amazing, I love it.

Cheers,
Wade
Old 09-25-2011, 08:42 PM
Scrooem

this whole thread is really cool!!!!
thanks!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ge94649.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	122.4 KB
ID:	1666195  
Old 09-28-2011, 01:24 PM
rivetcounter

Don, LOL the thoughts of the adoption agency “Mr Rivetcounter how old is the minor you wish to adopt†Don, you make me laugh if you ever come across the pond let me know.

Thanks for the comments chaps will have more sometime next month along with a new project.
Old 09-30-2011, 05:03 AM
YHR

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Jaw dropping. In a large scale like this the amount of extra detail you need to put in to achieve realism is a geometric effort. You sir have exceeded that. A true work of art. Not to be morbid, but you need to make arrangements for this thing after you are gone. It needs to go on display at a museum somewhere. Skills like this are becoming a lost art to the newer generations growing up. This is inspiring, and examples like this need to be perserved and showcased. I remember walking through a Naval museum and being awestruck by builders ship models. The image of those high quality models stuck with me my whole life. This tank is one of those kind of models.

Dan
Old 01-14-2012, 06:32 AM
rivetcounter

For some time I have been meaning to complete the drivers compartment with the drivers visor detail, over the last few weeks I have been spurred on by an event in Belgium so this was completed painted and installed

Old 01-14-2012, 08:10 AM
karel47

it is amazing the detail mark in your big cat, realy stuning your skills are top !!!

very nice drivers compartment

Old 01-14-2012, 04:52 PM
texchap

Absolutely incredible work!!
Old 03-22-2017, 12:49 PM
Old MSgt

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Thanks Mark for helping me find your Tiger 1 thread so I could bring it forward so I could view it again!

Mike (STILL in AWE of your work after all these years!)

Last edited by Old MSgt; 03-22-2017 at 01:44 PM.
Old 03-22-2017, 02:20 PM
rivetcounter

Mike, it seems that this post is out of date and requires updating, 2 years ago I sold the Tiger so this has now gone to a new home but the new owner wanted the Führersitz (commanders seat) making in brass as the resin one wasn’t strong enough for RC use and broke a few times so I made a new Führersitz from brass, the seat is fully functioning and folds away, the seat pads are made from leather

Old 03-22-2017, 02:35 PM
Old MSgt

Well Mark, again I've made me AMAZED and very meek to see this final seat of 'your' Tiger...

I love to see your finely detailed builds and you've recently mentioned that you're expecting another, now WHAT do you have coming next from Armortek??

CAN'T WAIT to see it!

Mike

Last edited by Old MSgt; 03-22-2017 at 02:40 PM.
Old 03-22-2017, 02:59 PM
rivetcounter

When I get chance I have to complete the 222 then I can start on the next tank which will arrive in 2-3 weeks, I already know exactly which tank and colour scheme the next tank will have and also have a lot of parts as with the Tiger so I can build a reasonable representation.
Old 03-22-2017, 05:08 PM
Old MSgt

I'm (and I'm sure a BUNCH on here!) are really forward to seeing it!

Mike