Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

Heng Long sound in a King Tiger

Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Heng Long sound in a King Tiger

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2008, 12:50 PM
madbadger

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Heng Long sound in a King Tiger

HI everyone, does anyone know what and how the sound works on these boards? id like to try and fit a HL board into my antique king tiger. I would like the sound to start when turning on the power to tank. If anyone knows how 'short circuit' the RX13 boards out to make the engine sound run. I'm not bothered about the start up sound, if i could just get the engine running at speed sound, that would be great.

Does this sound feasible?????

On another note, the turret turn motor, i have ordered a ESC for the drive motor as i cant control the tank with the old servo speed controller. What id like to know is, how would i wire up the turret motor, or do i need another ESC to make that work. I have noticed there are two wires coming from the switch which goes to the main power on the speed controller. Would i just have to join into the main power leads with these 2 wires?

Thinking of sticking in a smoke generator, i think this would just need the two wires connecting to the main power again but would turn on with the main switch?

cheers if anyone has any ideas

Kev
Old 09-22-2008, 12:55 PM
fv432
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Heng Long sound in a King Tiger

Hi kev
wouldnt it be easier to rip out the tammy stuff and just put henglong gearboxes and boards in[][]
Old 09-22-2008, 01:15 PM
971wright

Thats what I would do or fit el-mod it works out cheaper and its better than fitting tamiya .So the choice is yours go heng long for the electrics or el-mod Id fit heng long while I saved the money for el-mod .

regards pete
Old 09-22-2008, 01:39 PM
madbadger

im trying to make do with the tamiya stuff for a while, Ive spent a little to much on tanks lately......

the El mod don't and wont work with the single motor king tiger, i contacted El mod and asked them, they said it only works with 2 motor drive KT's.

once i have some dosh saved i will maybe, try HL gear. Is it hard to fit?.....

Kev
Old 09-22-2008, 03:46 PM
FireflyKeith

Heng Long is the way to go, i run mine with heng long electrics, so i get the smoke & sound, but i still run the original tamiya turret gearbox, and if you stick in the 3:1 reduced ratio gearboxes it runs at a much better speed.
Old 09-22-2008, 03:51 PM
fv432
Banned

Keith how much adapting was needed to fit the boxes?

just asking as i was going to stick in the asiatam low profiles as it looks as though i can use the tamiya sprocket connectors and change the shaft for a fabbed one on the boxes easier as the asiatams use a 5mm shaft held together by grubs

so hopefully no cutting/dremelling
Old 09-22-2008, 04:07 PM
FireflyKeith

Not much, i used the original Tamiya gearbox brass mounting posts, relocated the holes in the chassis to line up with the heng long boxes, and then just had to grind the shaft so it had a flat both sides to fit the Tamiya sprocket.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl30322.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	310.6 KB
ID:	1038697   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mx23690.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	50.2 KB
ID:	1038698  
Old 09-23-2008, 09:09 AM
fv432
Banned

Thanks for the info keith will look into it on my static king tiger
Old 09-23-2008, 02:32 PM
madbadger

I tried to figure out if i could make the sound 'start' with an old HL board that was inside a scrap Tiger tank i had. Connected a battery and started to 'earth' the contacts out on the back of the board. I managed to get the speaker to buzz constantly, but after trying for around 20 mins, i earthed out something that made a spark....

All hell broke loose....smoke billowing out from the bottom of the board......2 wires melted instantly....WOW all from a 7.2v battery......LOL so now i have a melted tiger...HAHAAHAHAHAHAA

im useless....LOL good job it was a scrapper.....

Oh ive found a use for my KT......target practice for my HL tiger......blasting it with the airsoft gun, i managed to blow off some track from the turret, knocked off the machine gun, and blew Fritz out of the cupola.....

I love my tiger tank.....
Old 09-23-2008, 02:35 PM
darkith

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There's no easy way to "hotwire" the board...the sound processor is controlled by a digital signal, so you'd need to feed it a certain signal to wake it up and have it start producing sound.

As mentioned, the best "cheap" route is to replace the clutch gearbox with two HL gearboxes and use the HL electronics directly.

D.
Old 09-23-2008, 03:43 PM
madbadger

Yea i realise that, i have 2 scrap HL tigers, and 2 spare boards one rx13 and a rx14.....i just need to get a set of metal HL gearboxes, it maybe a project over the winter......im going to try the ESC first and if that dont work.....then i will strip out the guts and fit HL gear. Gonna have to save for some metal tracks....i cant stick with plastic....they keep breaking!!!!!

I want to replace the wheel bearings....if thats possible...

Kev
Old 09-23-2008, 07:40 PM
wackywheelz

That could quite possibly be a genuine reckless silly act right there - shorting the board is a definite no-no, well, if you want the board to live through it...
Old 09-24-2008, 10:45 AM
madbadger

I know, it was a faulty RX13 board anyway....the turret didnt turn either way....but i just thought id play with it....fitted my new ESC and its more controllable now. Still wont turn 90 degress left or right on grass....sometimes on soil and always on wooden floor and concrete......

i may have to upgrade to HL gearing and electronics.........

Kev