Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Metal Tanks or Tank Kits

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2008, 11:43 PM
sheograth

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Metal Tanks or Tank Kits

Just wondering about some of choices in the all or mostly metal category, specifically under $1000 if possible.
Old 09-25-2008, 12:41 AM
Tanque

Received 95 Likes on 82 Posts
Default RE: Metal Tanks or Tank Kits

None.

Jerry
Old 09-25-2008, 01:04 AM
wackywheelz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Only Battle Ready Armor's metal 1/6 kits, but they're just static....
Old 09-25-2008, 01:42 AM
sheograth

mmm the battle ready armor stuff looks nice, even though its static it would be a fun projects

But yeah all the metal RC tanks seem to cost many thousands.
Old 09-25-2008, 03:43 AM
rivetcounter

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

have you ever wondered why
Old 09-25-2008, 07:13 PM
WhiteWolf McBride
My Feedback: (3)

The BattleReady stuff is mostly metal... NOT.

The roadwheels/suspension/tracks, I was told by their maker, is RESIN, and hence not recommended for R/C adaptation. I considered it for a special project, and after hearing that tidbit, dropped the thought.

You want mostly-metal tanks? Try the Solido toys, or the FOV ones. Thats about it for under a grand a pop.
Old 09-25-2008, 07:40 PM
Panther G

I believe not too long ago someone mentioned that Battle ready Armor is no longer in buisiness. Not sure but I heard it from more than one source.
Old 09-25-2008, 08:37 PM
sheograth

Wouldn't come as a surprise to me, this whole side of the hobby seems to be in decay. It's either cheap Chinese plastic toys or $20,000 British models that you wait 10 years to buy. I guess I came into the tank side of things with the wrong expectations. People seem to care more about pure scale details and history than the engineering, and most of the "vendors" out there are either dead or going out of business

Old 09-25-2008, 09:36 PM
wackywheelz

"Cheap chinese plastic toys" is what got the majority of us into this hobby, and are the reason for the explosion in growth.
Old 09-25-2008, 09:37 PM
sheograth

I get that, but I find it perplexing how hard it is to find decent high quality stuff that doesn't cost as much as a new BMW.
Old 09-25-2008, 10:19 PM
Tanque

Received 95 Likes on 82 Posts

Take a look at my personal website:

http://www.geocities.com/Pentagon/2828/

Everything you see that isn't 1/16 ( or 1/15) is metal. It may give you ideas of where to look. I work primarily in a scale, 1/10 that most in the US seem to revile when it comes to larger scales in deference to 1/6. 1/6 scale has caught on primarily due to the plethora of 1/6 doll makers and their accessories. 1/6th armor except for a few makers are largely the domain of one Russian maker who's
offered just about every tank that has rolled on European soil. They're fine if you want big but short on engineering. Armortek in England makes probably the most highly regarded 1/6 metal models. They aren't cheap as you already know. Neither are 1/10 scale models which cost just about as much in many cases. 1/10 as a an armor scale is probably one of the oldest with 1/8 and 1/7 approaching that. I was reading about 1/10 scale armor modelers and models in the late 1060s / early 1970s. I got ny first in 1976.

As an example my Panthers (A) weigh in at about 70 pounds, My King Tiger about 94 pounds. Still light enough to move around
but with ample weight to perform like a tank...

Over the years I've come to recognize that 1/10 has largely been the domain of, but not limited to, model armor engineers. You will see more of that on my site.

The was a promising looking company in China that was apparently offering a great looking and performing 1/10 type 99 Chinese MBT but their website just expired. http://www.Bjmrtank.com. Sadly I think they are no more as their site is gone with no forwarding. I wish I had captured their info before it disappeared.

Good luck.

Jerry
Old 09-25-2008, 11:20 PM
wackywheelz

Their email WAS [email protected] but that would have expired with the domain. Takashi Hiroshi seems to be the tank's creator, and their details are:

Beijing Model Realm

Address: Haidian District, Beijing, China No. 80 Anne Road

Ph: 86-10-62596218

Got your phone handy herrmill?
Old 09-26-2008, 05:08 AM
hatakashi

I think sometimes it depends on how much u want to buy the specific tank u want. There's never a TOO expensive one to buy, only ones that u DON'T really want to buy. I sold my car and got myself a personal loan to get my first 1/6 scale...don't mention the 1/4...
Old 09-26-2008, 07:58 AM
rivetcounter

I think this guy is trying to wind you all up no matter what you show him he will find faults too cheep, too expensive, made in England, made in China nothing will make this guy happy by the way get a calculator that works Mark 1 and Armourtek Tanks start from £2500 that is $5000an Armourtek tank with all the extra packs will set you back £5500 that is £11000 obviously there will be shipping on top and if you don't want to wait 10 years why don't you scratch build one yourself being American it's bound to be better than anyone else's tank
Old 09-26-2008, 07:09 PM
Panther G

If I had the money too spend I wouldn't thinjk twice about buying one of Mark1's1/4 scale tigers or 1/6 Panthers. They are what I ultimately want. But I think i'll have too wait till the boy gets into and out of college. but it is a goal that I hope too achieve. And I have considered making one of my own. The biggest hurtle there is the tracks. Somke one should mass produce just the tracks and road wheels and i think those scales would take off as more people would actually try tooo build their own. I know I would.
Old 09-26-2008, 07:57 PM
sheograth

I think this guy is trying to wind you all up no matter what you show him he will find faults too cheep, too expensive, made in England, made in China nothing will make this guy happy by the way get a calculator that works Mark 1 and Armourtek Tanks start from £2500 that is $5000an Armourtek tank with all the extra packs will set you back £5500 that is £11000 obviously there will be shipping on top and if you don't want to wait 10 years why don't you scratch build one yourself being American it's bound to be better than anyone else's tank
Didn't mean anything that roughly, relax. I definitely didn't mean to bash anything specifically based on where it is - And I admit my post was a too harsh.

I was just stating some frustrations, and should have done so in a far more matured manner.

No hard feelings to anyone or anyplace.
Old 09-27-2008, 01:43 AM
rivetcounter

sheograth, no worries mate
If you contact Mark 1 he will supply the tracks and possibly the road wheels as you say this is the stumbling block for anyone wanting to scratch build a tank in any scale
Old 09-27-2008, 01:54 AM
wackywheelz

Problem being the tracks alone easily more than sheograth's budget... [:@]
Old 04-19-2011, 05:52 PM
siralbertL

Cheapest ones I have found areright here, http://www.tankzone.co.uk/cart/allmetal18.htmHaven't got one yet, out mowing lawns on weekends saveing lol.

However you can find a really nice 1/16th all new metal lower hull for your Tiger 1Tank

Mato Sealed Waterproof Hull Complete WithRear Plate
Mato Metal Tracks
Mato Brass 3:1 Engine Box
Mato Upgraded Spring Set
Mato Upgraded Metal Suspension Set
Mato Metal Road Wheel Set for Henglong Tiger 1
Mato Metal Drive / Idler wheels